Note 5 Battery life thread

Karan Jagdev

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Anybody know why this image of the Spotify icon keeps spawning in my gallery? I delete it but it keeps coming back on its own after a little while.
It's getting really annoying and I assume package disabler as something to do with it.

uploadfromtaptalk1444341238574.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444341244702.jpg

Fuhgeddit

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
How do you get rid of Google Now? I am not sure how to do it. I have Nova Launcher on my phone but I think google now is still present because I've seen it when clicking the persistent search bar.

That could be killing my battery I think.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
So my SOT that I was seeing when I first got this phone is now nonexistent almost. Granted I no longer need that much SOT for a typical day so it's not a huge deal, but I'm sitting at 39-40% after 10 hours off the charger and not even 2 hours of SOT. I do spend an hour and a half streaming Spotify on a light day, but android system is still above it in battery draining. I'm wondering what I need to do to have better battery life again. I disabled some things in package disabler pro, but there are still a lot of apps I use that are in the basic package.
To make a long post shorter, should I be expecting this, what I feel is subpar battery life (juxtaposed to the iPhone plus line), or am I experiencing less than average battery life after only 2 months?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So my SOT that I was seeing when I first got this phone is now nonexistent almost. Granted I no longer need that much SOT for a typical day so it's not a huge deal, but I'm sitting at 39-40% after 10 hours off the charger and not even 2 hours of SOT. I do spend an hour and a half streaming Spotify on a light day, but android system is still above it in battery draining. I'm wondering what I need to do to have better battery life again. I disabled some things in package disabler pro, but there are still a lot of apps I use that are in the basic package.
To make a long post shorter, should I be expecting this, what I feel is subpar battery life (juxtaposed to the iPhone plus line), or am I experiencing less than average battery life after only 2 months?

Who is your carrier?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile. And that's the thing, this phone gets regularly good service, with the occasional bump down here and there. But I'm primarily seeing 4G LTE. I have more of a wifi issue sometimes.

That is what I figured, TMO.

Think back.. Did this start after the update rolled out the weekend before Samsung Pay went live in that Monday?

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
That is what I figured, TMO.

Think back.. Did this start after the update rolled out the weekend before Samsung Pay went live in that Monday?

I hadn't even thought of that, but the time span definitely fits. It's also been getting considerably warmer easier here lately. Do you think that update may have brought on a higher battery drain?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well the reason I ask is I experienced it within hours of the update. Also my Android System and Android OS started showing up high on the list and it was using about 10% battery per hour and even losing a lot while in standby.

I had TMO send me a new phone, got it last night. It was fine, I did the third upgrade and it seemed to get a bit bad again. I sent my original phone with to Samsung today and am using the replacement right now.

Two phones have done that after that last update, I think it is the update.

This is how bad it got and I was having a hard time making it through the day much less charging every other day. See how high my Android System and Android OS are? They never even popped up close to my screen, which is always in the #1 spot.

TMO will make you reset it before replacing it. You can do what I did, call TMO for a replacement, call Samsung to send yours in when you order the replacement. When you get the new one, send yours to Samsung that day or the next. When yours comes back, send back the replacement to TMO. They want you to return a phone to them in 7 days if you get a replacement. They don't care which one you return. If it is over 7 days they will bug you a few times with a text, but you will have your phone back by 10 days or less and can drop off the package going back to TMO and still be good.

I think the OS needs to be pulled off and put back on, which is necessary if there is an issue like this with an update, a reset won't fix if there is an issue. If Samsung finds an issue in TMO's software, they will get with TMO and get it fixed.

Attachments

• 1444350207880.jpg
    1444350207880.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 58

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the OS needs to be pulled off and put back on, which is necessary if there is an issue like this with an update, a reset won't fix if there is an issue. If Samsung finds an issue in TMO's software, they will get with TMO and get it fixed.

Thanks so much for that information and it's good to know I'm not overthinking it at least. I do know that the Samsung experience place at best buy can completely reflash the original software. I'm wondering if doing that will help at all. I do have the next day and a half off to look into it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Probably not help if it is an actual update issue if it is a bug or if the download was corrupted. It won't hurt to try it though.

Only Samsung can remove the software and out it back on, which is different than a reflash. Removing the software and putting it back on can help a lot if things. My Note 2 wouldn't accept the unlock code and Samsung did that and the code worked fine after that. You can try the reflash over the weekend and then if you still have the problems get the exchange and send your phone in or keep the replacement if it isn't a problem. If you send your phone in, they will go over it from top to bottom and check everything. If you have another phone, you can just send it on and not have TMO send you a replacement. Just don't mention about sending your phone in when you ask for the replacement. I called TMO today and asked about doing that and having more than 7 days since the issue was there with the replacement, but not as bad.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Probably not help if it is an actual update issue if it is a bug or if the download was corrupted. It won't hurt to try it though.

Only Samsung can remove the software and out it back on, which is different than a reflash. Removing the software and putting it back on can help a lot if things. My Note 2 wouldn't accept the unlock code and Samsung did that and the code worked fine after that. You can try the reflash over the weekend and then if you still have the problems get the exchange and send your phone in or keep the replacement if it isn't a problem. If you send your phone in, they will go over it from top to bottom and check everything. If you have another phone, you can just send it on and not have TMO send you a replacement. Just don't mention about sending your phone in when you ask for the replacement. I called TMO today and asked about doing that and having more than 7 days since the issue was there with the replacement, but not as bad.

Okay, good to know. It's just unfortunate that the update messed up the battery so much. I'm glad I know where to go from here though.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
What's going on?

Posted via the Android Central App
Do you have location on high cause i see GPS on there that could be the problem there and i did notice on your status bar shows wifi and 4G LTE on , not sure why those 2 show on i am on AT&T and never seen both on the same time!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you have location on high cause i see GPS on there that could be the problem there and i did notice on your status bar shows wifi and 4G LTE on , not sure why those 2 show on i am on AT&T and never seen both on the same time!
I think I do have GPS on high. It show gps, wifi, and mobile networks to locate. This is a lot of drop while sleeping! Havent had this happen before. I did log into the other wifi band at my house last night. Maybe there is an issue there.

Edna Alcazar

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Battery is....not so great

Give it a rest it is only a machine and you are a human with other aspects to do in life other than cell phones all the time.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I think I do have GPS on high. It show gps, wifi, and mobile networks to locate. This is a lot of drop while sleeping! Havent had this happen before. I did log into the other wifi band at my house last night. Maybe there is an issue there.
Should put your location on saving mode low that will stop killing your battery.

Running On Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920A

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Is that GPS only? Mine doesn't specify which is more battery friendly like my note 4 did
Like this

9347e6c24bc184c9b9a63adf9492cca4.jpg

Running On Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920A