Note 5 Battery life thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. That's my point!!! If I charge my phone and go to bed full, unplugged, after 8 hours, EIGHT HOURS, it drops 2-3%. . My point is these graphs and charts etc mean ZERO for someone that does that.

For instance. I did just what I said above. Then got up, used my phone pretty hard for most of the day. By the time I was done work and driving home, I had a graph that showed I had used my phone for 18 hours and 27 minutes and was down to 12% battery. Pretty damned awesome right!?!?

Ok. Now same thing except this time I left my phone plugged in until I got up. So I didn't have 8 hours of phone on with only 2-3% loss despite idle use.

Good. We've established that.

So I unplug my phone at 530am, start using it again SAME as last test. Now, this time, I get home at 530 pm and guess what? I'm at 12 hours, 22 minutes, and have 14% battery left on my computer graphs and stats.

How can that be? My actual USE was about the same and yet, I got 6 hours less, about 4 hours OF SOT between the two.

I think you see my point. If I only drop 2-3% in 8 hours of non use of course when I actually use it I am getting REAL stats.

So again, the point was simple. Posting stats doesn't say much given what I proved above.

Usage is usage. I can 100% guarantee that if you use this device as much as I do and in the ways I use it, as a phone and email device, productivity device, you're not going above 15 hours. No how. No way.

And how do I know? We deploy more than 18 of these phones across our Salesforce and they all same the same thing. Using it as productivity device (isn't that how it's promoted?), you're not going over 15 and I doubt above 13-14 without getting into the red.

The KILLER thing about the Note 5 is quick charge capability. Putting it on a quick charger for 20 minutes you'll get an additional 1.5-2.5 hours. That's pretty bad ***.

Posted via the Android Central App

I think you don't get it, which is why SOT is an important stat. I can get days of time with no SOT.

Time between charges without SOT mean nothing, zero, a phone can idle for days.

This is why we always ask for SOT.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I also think you are forgetting the main rule I have repeated here over and over..

Do not compare your battery life with another's, we all have different apps, different carriers, different signals and use our phones in different ways.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I also think you are forgetting the main rule I have repeated here over and over..

Do not compare your battery life with another's, we all have different apps, different carriers, different signals and use our phones in different ways.
I agree , everyone uses there phone differently and have certain different apps and depending where you live and that's what some are not understanding, i am very happy that if i get 15 hrs to 1 day and SOT from 4hrs to 5hrs, 6hrs, 7hrs, even 8hrs is outstanding.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Yes we understand, but I'm lucky to hit 5 hours SOT in 12 hours and I would be willing to change some of my apps if I could get closer to what you have

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes we understand, but I'm lucky to hit 5 hours SOT in 12 hours and I would be willing to change some of my apps if I could get closer to what you have

But you use Google Now a lot, right?

You also have a very different signal issue than I do. I have a high signal almost always. If I'm working at home, then I can have my battery last for a long time. Now when I have to go to the office and I am in a very old building and sometimes in an actual old bomb shelter, my battery drains very, very quickly, because my signal is horrible. I can stop that though by turning on airplane mode and the turning on WiFi and WiFi calling.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone very heavy and charge my phone every morning before going about my day and have much better battery life.

What carrier do you have and what's your signal like?

Posted via Note 5 AT&T

I have Verizon. I have WiFi sleep when screen is off. I had poor reception at home but got a signal booster and works great so far.

I'm simply saying given the sample size of my use and the 18 others i have using this device every one of them gets about what I have already posted.

Now maybe it's Verizon. Who knows. We are all on Verizon. But 12-14 hours of sustained business productivity use is the norm and excellent.

This idea of SOT exceeding 6 or 7 and using it normally and as a productivity tool to me is next to impossible.

Hell a friend of mine, a physician on call, using his Note on T Mobile and lives in city that gets constant great reception told me he was 10-12 hours and approx 4 hours of SOT but is a heavy emailer and uses phone for 90-120 min of talk time daily. That's a power user. That's what SAMSUNG markets this as. Productivity tool.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
But you use Google Now a lot, right?

You also have a very different signal issue than I do. I have a high signal almost always. If I'm working at home, then I can have my battery last for a long time. Now when I have to go to the office and I am in a very old building and sometimes in an actual old bomb shelter, my battery drains very, very quickly, because my signal is horrible. I can stop that though by turning on airplane mode and the turning on WiFi and WiFi calling.

Actually I've had the now cards off for a few weeks but turned them back on again today. I think it's a mix of low signal and there being something up with Verizon - I haven't seen any vzw people posting the stats tmobile seems to get. I heard a rumor Verizon will allow WiFi calling soon too, so that should help also.

For now, I have no trips coming up and can always be close to a wireless charger so it won't be an issue for a few months.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have Verizon. I have WiFi sleep when screen is off. I had poor reception at home but got a signal booster and works great so far.

I'm simply saying given the sample size of my use and the 18 others i have using this device every one of them gets about what I have already posted.

Now maybe it's Verizon. Who knows. We are all on Verizon. But 12-14 hours of sustained business productivity use is the norm and excellent.

This idea of SOT exceeding 6 or 7 and using it normally and as a productivity tool to me is next to impossible.

Hell a friend of mine, a physician on call, using his Note on T Mobile and lives in city that gets constant great reception told me he was 10-12 hours and approx 4 hours of SOT but is a heavy emailer and uses phone for 90-120 min of talk time daily. That's a power user. That's what SAMSUNG markets this as. Productivity tool.

Exactly what issue is it you are having about the battery life of others?

People have different apps on their phones that do different things.

People operate their phones in different ways.

The most important thing, if your phone operates the way you need it to operate for you, then you are all good and the battery life of someone else doesn't affect you.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually I've had the now cards off for a few weeks but turned them back on again today. I think it's a mix of low signal and there being something up with Verizon - I haven't seen any vzw people posting the stats tmobile seems to get. I heard a rumor Verizon will allow WiFi calling soon too, so that should help also.

For now, I have no trips coming up and can always be close to a wireless charger so it won't be an issue for a few months.

I've seen Verizon people with that standby issue with WiFi and I've seen some Verizon people that don't have it. It does seem from the forums that as many Verizon people don't seem to have battery life as good as some of the other carriers. TMO and international versions also added app optimization in the last update that has made a big difference, Sprint took it out. No idea if Verizon and AT&T will keep it in or not.

There is also another signal booster that will work with any service. It is a LTE booster. It is around $300. I will have to get the link from someone again, that might be something you are interested in. It is much better than the extender that Verizon has.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I've got should end up getting SOT 6hrs before i charge at 5%
5f7026f022ae594a5c35b5391fc0bac1.jpg

7bc16bfa11a32ce274536532918d2ec0.jpg

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I've seen Verizon people with that standby issue with WiFi and I've seen some Verizon people that don't have it. It does seem from the forums that as many Verizon people don't seem to have battery life as good as some of the other carriers. TMO and international versions also added app optimization in the last update that has made a big difference, Sprint took it out. No idea if Verizon and AT&T will keep it in or not.

There is also another signal booster that will work with any service. It is a LTE booster. It is around $300. I will have to get the link from someone again, that might be something you are interested in. It is much better than the extender that Verizon has.

I saw that one. There is no signal right here regardless so I'll wait and hope the WiFi calling gets turned on soon

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I saw that one. There is no signal right here regardless so I'll wait and hope the WiFi calling gets turned on soon

Well you know that TMO has come out with the LTE one that connects to your Internet and is basically a mini cell tower. If TMO service is good around you and not at your house, that would work. In fact it should work if you have really no TMO service at your house but good service in your area. TMO also has data free music streaming and now data free video streaming for several sites. They will also pay off up to about $650 if you switch services and give you a good credit on your phone. They also have their Note 5 for $15 a month as of today..

Just a thought if their service is good in your area.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - Let's keep it on topic. Calling others "liars" or accusing them of cheating numbers isn't needed. This thread is to help others -- not start a trolling war of who is "spoofing" numbers and vise versa.

Thanks.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Well you know that TMO has come out with the LTE one that connects to your Internet and is basically a mini cell tower. If TMO service is good around you and not at your house, that would work. In fact it should work if you have really no TMO service at your house but good service in your area. TMO also has data free music streaming and now data free video streaming for several sites. They will also pay off up to about $650 if you switch services and give you a good credit on your phone. They also have their Note 5 for $15 a month as of today..

Just a thought if their service is good in your area.

I know of no locations in the US that Tmob has better signal than verizon. I'm in the mountains so signal is always an issue. Plus, I'm on a business account with 4 other phones and have an unlimited data plan that I use 15gb/mo. Switching isn't really an option, but hopefully Verizon sees how awesome t-mobile is being to their customers and thinks about sucking less on customer experience stuff.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes there are areas that TMO has better coverage than Verizon or anyone else, just might not be in your areas. I'm also looking at their 4 unlimited lines for $180.

If Verizon is your only option and the signal at your house is not good and signal in the area is not good, shorter battery life will always be an issue for you. The thing with a booster like the other one posted is that you can only boost the signal at a location, like home and office.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile still needs more coverage areas they are still limited in some areas, not like AT&T and Verizon they are pretty much worldwide.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile still needs more coverage areas they are still limited in some areas, not like AT&T and Verizon they are pretty much worldwide.

Yes TMO needs better coverage in the US, but now the rural areas have been opened up to them that they couldn't go in before and the plan in the next couple of years is to be nationwide LTE in the US.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1