Note 5 Battery life thread

rpoli86

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
here's a question....does WIFI drain the battery more than LTE?

because I'm in work, and my I took my phone off charge at 100%...10 minutes later its down to 98%..I haven't done anything, nothing is open...the battery life lately has been HORRID.

I reinstalled OS 3 days ago as well.

Beagles329

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

because I'm in work, and my I took my phone off charge at 100%...10 minutes later its down to 98%..I haven't done anything, nothing is open...the battery life lately has been HORRID.

I would tend to say yes. I've been running a LTE only test since my last charge. While at home I have 2-3 signal bars and while at work I only have 1-2 signal bars. I'm on Verizon BTW.

Below are my results.
uploadfromtaptalk1449675129125.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449675142083.jpg

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

All depends on how strong Wifi is and LTE can go either way it's all about the signal. Every where you go signals are different.

Ed the Head

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I wrote about having bought a Note 5 recently with terrible battery life. I've just received another one from a different seller and it's the same. I'm pretty sure the first one originated from Hong Kong and the second from USA. Both are giving me about 2 hours' screen time before game over. The phones were bought unlocked and not attached to a network. There must be a general problem.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I wrote about having bought a Note 5 recently with terrible battery life. I've just received another one from a different seller and it's the same. I'm pretty sure the first one originated from Hong Kong and the second from USA. Both are giving me about 2 hours' screen time before game over. The phones were bought unlocked and not attached to a network. There must be a general problem.

As general problem with what?

Two hour screen time is nothing for a note 5. This is about 2 hours SOT and 12 hours off charger and 79%.

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T

Attachments

• 1003.jpg
    1003.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 87

bettercallsal92

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I dont know what it is with the T-mobile variant, but it just plain SUCKS. After a month of never getting more than 4 hours SoT max, I caved and sent it in to samsung for service. After getting the phone back with a new battery, I see no improvement whatsoever

Yes, yes, I know, it makes a huge difference how you use the phone if you wanna get 6-7 hours SoT like some people on here, but I have never gotten past the 4, despite having tons of crap disabled, so I can't say I'm happy, coming from a oneplus one where I averaged 7 hours easily. But I guess I'm stuck with it now.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
As general problem with what?

Two hour screen time is nothing for a note 5. This is about 2 hours SOT and 12 hours off charger and 79%.

Same thing here......

From my AT&T Platinum Gold Note 5

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-09-22-33-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-09-22-33-27.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 188

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Damn not being able to post two pics at once.

From my AT&T Platinum Gold Note 5

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-09-22-33-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-09-22-33-30.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 185

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I dont know what it is with the T-mobile variant, but it just plain SUCKS. After a month of never getting more than 4 hours SoT max, I caved and sent it in to samsung for service. After getting the phone back with a new battery, I see no improvement whatsoever

Yes, yes, I know, it makes a huge difference how you use the phone if you wanna get 6-7 hours SoT like some people on here, but I have never gotten past the 4, despite having tons of crap disabled, so I can't say I'm happy, coming from a oneplus one where I averaged 7 hours easily. But I guess I'm stuck with it now.

What's your phones normal use look like?

I'm a very heavy user and I can always get at lease 6 hours sot. I have nothing disabled. Auto brightness and no power saving modes or dark themes.

For my daily use, I have 3 email account syncing, alot of Web browsing, some games but not much use about 15 mins of games on the train. About an hour to two of Pandora with Bluetooth headphones, lots of youtube for the kids, some netflix. At least 100 texts and 40 emails a day. I take alot of notes for work and onenote is always syncing new info. Excel and PDF viewer used daily. I have a 11 month old. so I take alot of pictures and videos about 30 day.
That's about what my day looks like off the top of my head.

bettercallsal92

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
What's your phones normal use look like?

I'm a very heavy user and I can always get at lease 6 hours sot. I have nothing disabled. Auto brightness and no power saving modes or dark themes.

For my daily use, I have 3 email account syncing, alot of Web browsing, some games but not much use about 15 mins of games on the train. About an hour to two of Pandora with Bluetooth headphones, lots of youtube for the kids, some netflix. At least 100 texts and 40 emails a day. I take alot of notes for work and onenote is always syncing new info. Excel and PDF viewer used daily. I have a 11 month old. so I take alot of pictures and videos about 30 day.
That's about what my day looks like off the top of my head.

Not even close to that, mine mostly consists of web browsing and texting. I have a lot of T-mobile bloat disabled, and I'm running greenify to auto-close apps. I have one email account syncing, I dont play games, almost never watch youtube but I am also a heavy user.

And not once have I hit 5 hours SoT.....

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Not even close to that, mine mostly consists of web browsing and texting. I have a lot of T-mobile bloat disabled, and I'm running greenify to auto-close apps. I have one email account syncing, I dont play games, almost never watch youtube but I am also a heavy user.

And not once have I hit 5 hours SoT.....

Install GSAM and post your signal strength graph from a day, then compare it to Kelly Kearns' signal

Ed the Head

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I got much more out of the phones by disabling 4g today. Still experimenting with them trying to find out why 2 hours' SOT per charge before I disabled 4G. Also, I don't know if the following is normal. I have one of the phones on charge right now. It's plugged straight into the wall with the supplied fast charger and the charging time is painfully slow. Seems to be under 10% an hour. The wifi hotspot is enabled so maybe that's the reason. Will investigate further.

By the way, SOT means something like screen on time, right?

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I got much more out of the phones by disabling 4g today. Still experimenting with them trying to find out why 2 hours' SOT per charge before I disabled 4G. Also, I don't know if the following is normal. I have one of the phones on charge right now. It's plugged straight into the wall with the supplied fast charger and the charging time is painfully slow. Seems to be under 10% an hour. The wifi hotspot is enabled so maybe that's the reason. Will investigate further.

By the way, SOT means something like screen on time, right?
Yes SOT does mean Screen On Time.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
So I am on Verizon Note 5 and loving my battery life on LTE... WiFi is little worse but loving it on LTE. I am routinely getting 5-6 hours SOT with 24 hours on battery... And 4 hours plus SOT with 30 hours plus on battery.

I just hope it keeps up and doesn't degrade meaningfully overtime.

Posted via the Android Central App