Note 5 Battery life thread

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile put out an OTA update this morning. Before the update at 7:00am my battery was at 94%. As always I had taken it off the wireless charger before going to bed (last night at 10:15PM). Needless to say 6% drain overnight was excellent, actually better than my Galaxy S5's battery performance. So I then did the OTA update, charged it fully again, finishing the charge at 8:10AM. Between 8:10AM and 12:50PM it went down to 95%. Granted I only made 5 calls of about 3 minutes each average. I had no Internet or other usage besides the calls.

This is the best battery performance I've had to date with any of my Samsung devices.

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1450404061548.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450404069580.jpg

I've had my note for about a week. Battery life started great, got worse. I'm getting less than 2 hours screen on time with fairly light usage. Android system and wifi are draining a ton. Any suggestions?

guacapoli

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. Ill send a few texts and go down 5% in minutes.

I chatted with AT&T customer support, explained my battery issues, they literally mailed me a replacement note 5 within an hour. I didn't even mention getting a replacement so it makes me wonder if there is a problem. I've never had a carrier so willingly replace a device. I am supposed to get it today. We shall see if battery is improved.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
On Verizon and since update a few days ago mines worse.

Last night when went to bed it was 64% at 11:30. Woke up 7 am and it was 46%

18% drain over 7 and half hours. I turned off advanced calling before bed to test if that helped. Guess not since usually I didn't lose that much overnight. Usually would lose 4 to 6% overnight. Crazy.

I've got WiFi set to turn off when asleep btw.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Mine was great already but generally been even better since the Verizon update.

Last battery cycle - 43 hours on battery with 4 hours 25 minutes SOT. This time around it looks like it will be around 6 hours SOT with 24 hours or so on battery

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine was great already but generally been even better since the Verizon update.

Last battery cycle - 43 hours on battery with 4 hours 25 minutes SOT. This time around it looks like it will be around 6 hours SOT with 24 hours or so on battery

Do you just use the battery app on the phone or do you use another app to determine screen time or other drain?

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an AT&T and a Verizon Note 5. Recently my AT&T Note 5's battery life has gotten really bad.

With light usage I usually in the past can get maybe 3 days out of a charge. Now I am getting just over a day. Nothing really changed recently.

My Verizon model still gets good battery life. So there is either something with my AT&T Note's hardware, or maybe just a software glitch, but I am leaning more towards the hardware.

I really hate to call AT&T and get a refurbished replacement for my 1 1/2 month old Note 5.

This is why I really hate having a phone with a non-removable battery. I would much rather just get a new battery than have to replace the whole phone.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have an AT&T and a Verizon Note 5. Recently my AT&T Note 5's battery life has gotten really bad.

With light usage I usually in the past can get maybe 3 days out of a charge. Now I am getting just over a day. Nothing really changed recently.

My Verizon model still gets good battery life. So there is either something with my AT&T Note's hardware, or maybe just a software glitch, but I am leaning more towards the hardware.

I really hate to call AT&T and get a refurbished replacement for my 1 1/2 month old Note 5.

This is why I really hate having a phone with a non-removable battery. I would much rather just get a new battery than have to replace the whole phone.

My at&t note 5 battery started to get bad as well. A factory reset fixed that.

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Looks like I need to try a factory reset on my T-Mobile Note 5. Went from 100 to 90 overnight (11 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.). That is unacceptable. By comparison, my iPhone stayed at 100 during the same time frame.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Another beautiful battery cycle on Verizon Note 5 - 39 hours on battery with 5 hours SOT.

I am always on LTE (not the best signal, but not bad). I know battery on WiFi is worse...but havent tried it recently. It used to be horrendous on WiFi but they fixed that after an update - so its more inline but still worse than LTE. My theory is that I am going to keep using Verizon data (LTE) - unless they fix the battery drain on WiFi :)

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
What is the best settings to max battery on Verizon to help with cell standby?

WiFi settings: is best to leave always on or set to on during sleep plugged in only, etc.

Advanced calling: to have HD voice on but not video or both on or neither on?

Any other settings to tweak?

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So I started today with both my Verizon and AT&T Note 5s fully charged to 100% and turned on around 10am. It is now 10:24pm.

My Verizon Note is at 59%, and my AT&T Note is at 56%.

Nether phone was used all that much today being as I worked all day. My AT&T only has a 35 minute screen on time which was barely used to mainly just check Facebook a few times and check the news. So basically extremely light usage today.

My Verizon Note has 1 hr 9 min screen on time and about the same type of usage, except maybe 20 minutes of watching Hulu at lunch.

I just don't get it. This phone has a 3000 mah battery and gets really crappy battery life. When I still had my iPhone 6 plus, and with the same light usage I am talking about above, I could easily get 3 days battery out of the 6 plus.

I don't get how the 6 plus get such better battery life than the Note 5.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Tried an experiment last night. Since we have problems with cell standby drain on WiFi on verizon, I thought I'd just turn off WiFi when I went to bed and then turn back on this morning and see if that helped. Nada..

Went from 55% to 38% over 7 hours.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Tried an experiment last night. Since we have problems with cell standby drain on WiFi on verizon, I thought I'd just turn off WiFi when I went to bed and then turn back on this morning and see if that helped. Nada..

Went from 55% to 38% over 7 hours.

Have installed the recent OTA update? T-Mobile here, went to bed after a full charge, 7 hours of standby while I slept, with WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth (connects to my home Panasonic cordless phones to provide an extra line to my landline hookup) and woke up with 95% my best battery performance yet.

Granted, the first two Note 5's I received from T-Mobile were plagued by poor battery consumption performance and most importantly to me at the time the Bluetooth issue (my Plantronics headset would not stay connected). However, those 2 units didn't have the benefit of 3 OTA updates at least one of which had some fixes for the battery consumption.

I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue that makes the difference. I am just grateful I finally got a copy that has neither a Bluetooth or battery issue.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. Ill send a few texts and go down 5% in minutes.

I chatted with AT&T customer support, explained my battery issues, they literally mailed me a replacement note 5 within an hour. I didn't even mention getting a replacement so it makes me wonder if there is a problem. I've never had a carrier so willingly replace a device. I am supposed to get it today. We shall see if battery is improved.

So have you received your replacement? I was wondering if you were getting better battery life with the replacement?

I am about to throw mine out the window. Battery life is horrible on my AT&T Note 5.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I found this youtube video with a few things to try. You can skip to 2:20 on the video to get to the important part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M14CWF5gnT8

There are two main things he mentioned to turn off. Google location history, and Android Device Manager, which is under Device Administrators.

I just turned them two off and am going to monitor it. If still no good results, then I'm going to call AT&T for a replacement. I just hate getting a refurb for my two month old phone.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Have installed the recent OTA update? T-Mobile here, went to bed after a full charge, 7 hours of standby while I slept, with WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth (connects to my home Panasonic cordless phones to provide an extra line to my landline hookup) and woke up with 95% my best battery performance yet.

Granted, the first two Note 5's I received from T-Mobile were plagued by poor battery consumption performance and most importantly to me at the time the Bluetooth issue (my Plantronics headset would not stay connected). However, those 2 units didn't have the benefit of 3 OTA updates at least one of which had some fixes for the battery consumption.

I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue that makes the difference. I am just grateful I finally got a copy that has neither a Bluetooth or battery issue.

Yes I've installed the last update just the other day.