Note 5 Battery life thread

DrPreeth

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Does Verizon know that there is a wifi bug with their model of Note 5 or are they just refusing to fix it? I'm getting worse battery life (I also have low cell signal at home) with Wifi on and data disabled vs both Wifi and data enabled. I've also connected my phone to the 2.4ghz spectrum and not 5. I wouldn't mind running both Wifi and data at the same time but I'm on a family share plan and some of the data will get used up...

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I just got an LG V10, coming from the note 2, and its been heating up the battery dying at 5 hours on Standby. It seems to me that it's all in the Microsoft Exchange account and I don't know why the phone is spending so much time trying to access it. I have the same account on my LG G pad 8 inch and I don't have that problem and with it I have same to programs Microsoft Word and Excel which I guess could cause some issues but nothing on the tablet.

So I took off the exchange a/c email and everything seems to be fine now. However I need the email so I assume there are different ways to create this, by either going into the Microsoft email exchange setup or set up a regular email and put in the parameters for the in and out boxes.

When my battery was dying 60 to 70% of use related to the Exchange service activity, yet nothing like that appeared on the tablet. I was wondering if any of you found that same problem on the Note 5 or the Galaxy S6, since you have a thread on here on battery life that has over a thousand replies. Without that Exchange issue, my battery life is very good and that may be true for yours too. If not, maybe it's an Android problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

awraynor

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I really like the Note5, especially how this big phone feels so comfortable in the hand.

The one thing of course since I'm in this thread is that the battery life is pretty poor. I can barely get through
a full day of work, and most of the time can't do that. Of course charging is crazy fast, but at a minimum it
should make it from 8 to 5 without too much of a problem.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I finally broke down and rooted my Note 5 and flashed a different kernel (arter97 kernel), let me just say that the difference in the battery now is like night & day prior to me rooting... I only experienced a 5% battery drop overnight and phone is now able to go into deep sleep mode

See this is what I don't understand. Back in my rooting / ROM days, I always found other Kernels run so much better than stock.

What I don't understand, is why aren't these Companies like Motorola, Samsung, LG....etc...why aren't they hiring these guys that make the Kernels? These vendors could make their version of the OS awesome with such great Kernels.

Samsung especially seems like they hire goofballs who really don't know how to code, and these guys who do the custom ROMs and Kernels are much better at it. You know it's bad when some guy working on this stuff on the side is better than a multi billion dollar company's programmers.

And the the guy on here who is flaunting the 10 hour screen on battery life, I definitely smell a troll there. Considering the vast majority of people with Note 5's are having battery drain issues, I find it impossible someone is getting that good of battery life. It's gotta be doctored somehow.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
See this is what I don't understand. Back in my rooting / ROM days, I always found other Kernels run so much better than stock.

What I don't understand, is why aren't these Companies like Motorola, Samsung, LG....etc...why aren't they hiring these guys that make the Kernels? These vendors could make their version of the OS awesome with such great Kernels.

Samsung especially seems like they hire goofballs who really don't know how to code, and these guys who do the custom ROMs and Kernels are much better at it. You know it's bad when some guy working on this stuff on the side is better than a multi billion dollar company's programmers.

And the the guy on here who is flaunting the 10 hour screen on battery life, I definitely smell a troll there. Considering the vast majority of people with Note 5's are having battery drain issues, I find it impossible someone is getting that good of battery life. It's gotta be doctored somehow.
No idea what your talking about i am no troll, my battery life is 7 , 8 , 9 or 10 , you don't have to believe with the proof i posted, i use my phone normally and it's a AT&T Note 5 my network where i live is excellent, so if others get bad battery life then it's either a app or there network is very bad where they live, so there's no trick on my side , basically i browse on Tapatalk, do some phone calls and lot's of text.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Got new Note 5 (Verizon), coming from Note 3.
Battery life is BAD when WiFi is on and connected.
Went from 100% to 25% overnight when the phone was idling ("cell standby" used 35% of battery)
With WiFi off it drains from 100% to 95% overnight, just like my old Note 3.

I really like the phone but basically forced not to use WiFi, or else gotta charge 2 times a day.
Is there a fix?

Thanks

I noticed today that WiFi is taking up 30% of my battery :/ I have Verizon too

Posted via the Android Central App

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Dunno if anyone has posted this, but this is something new that I just learned. I went to my WiFi settings --> more -->advanced, and turned off "always allow scanning." I also changed the "keep wifi on during sleep" option to "only when plugged in."

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Dunno if anyone has posted this, but this is something new that I just learned. I went to my WiFi settings --> more -->advanced, and turned off "always allow scanning." I also changed the "keep wifi on during sleep" option to "only when plugged in."

The only problem with that, is when you shut off your screen, the WiFi will turn off unless plugged in. Although that may seem like a battery saver, it will also use LTE data for all the background tasks while the phone is asleep.

On another note (no pun intended), the one thing that irks me about Android phones as opposed to the iPhone. To me, I see an Android phone like owning a '60s muscle car. You're driving down the road and something just doesn't sound right. So you pull over and tune something in the engine.

With Android, it is like an endless cycle of tuning, since there is always something that doesn't feel right or hurting performance, just like my example above.

With an iPhone, and I've owned almost all of them, and random iOS bugs aside, you don't have to keep fine tuning it. Once you get it set up, it just works.

But with the Note 5, there is obviously a WiFi bug which is causing high battery drain when enabled. If I keep my WiFi off and just stay on LTE, but battery life is much better. But being on WiFi is supposed to increase batter life, not decrease it. I doubt Samsung will fix it on Lollipop, they are putting all their effort to release Marshmellow.

Oh, and my AT&T Note 5 is still on OJ1, whereas my Verizon Note 5 has been upgraded to OJ3 like a month ago.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
whats OJ3? also, i've had iphone 5, 5s, 6, 6s plus, and the only thing i miss about apple is the battery. you're right, it is more convenient to not have to fine tune all the time, but the only reason i do that is for the battery. i love having the plethora of features to play with though. that's why i switched. iphone just gets boring after a while. but, i do miss that iphone battery :/

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Something that seems to help is to do a phone restart once the phone gets to 100%/before you take it off the charger. Seems to clear the excess BS going on and you can "start fresh" with a full battery. It's annoying but restarts are quick so I don't mind too much.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Excellent Battery life on my AT&T Note 5 , with disabled apps that i don't use this is fantastic .

f176a057299d1eae4dee2739a2bc18c7.jpg

40f3a7e4e12f0146429157980607a2c9.jpg

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
What apps did you disabled?
Ok since I'm on AT&T Note 5 in normal settings i disabled all the bloatware AT&T has and since i don't use Facebook and Instagram did that as well and i disabled Chrome as well since i don't use that browser then the rest on Package Disabler Pro i disabled theses since you can't disable it in normal settings on the phone , now as you see in photo the 2 theme are disabled for only one reason cause i am using Marvel theme so it can stick.
0be3b0f006b3527a633e42d259f8b67d.jpg

armallard

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I unplugged my note 5 @ 1 am @100% and went to bed woke up @ 6:30 and my phone@84 % most used was the android system @67.8% and Kernel @10.0% and a few apps @.04 to 10.0% 13hrs. time remaining I'm on Verizon. Good bad?

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I unplugged my note 5 @ 1 am @100% and went to bed woke up @ 6:30 and my phone@84 % most used was the android system @67.8% and Kernel @10.0% and a few apps @.04 to 10.0% 13hrs. time remaining I'm on Verizon. Good bad?
That isn't normal something is eating your battery, cause i have slept 7 to 8 hrs with 100% and when i have woken up i would be at 97 % or 96 %, and i leave my phone always on wifi, so something is eating your battery.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Jeez, the list of things you've enabled would be shorter. :)

I gave up on the Note 5 because the battery life was dreadful and it reached the point where I was disabling so much as a sacrifice to the battery gods that I may as well have owned a StarTac. And this is why I always end up back with an iPhone. I don't need to disable anything to get great battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2