Note 5 Battery life thread

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
10 hrs so far at 52%. Gear s2, Bluetooth, wifi, gps all on. NFC is off. Texting, emailing, phone calls, youtube, Internet browsing, Android forums app, twitter, tumbler, fb, pinterest, instagran, snapchat usage. I say battery is real good.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I also find it strange that everyone posting pictures of their battery stat screen with crazy SOT, that they always scroll the screen where it doesn't show if the phone is on power saving mode or ultra power saving.

So if you guys who are getting great battery life, please post a picture of the stat screen to prove to everyone that you don't have one of the power saving modes on.

Having a power saver on and raving about great battery life doesn't count.

I will gladly look for a way to post screenshots if it helps give anyone peace of mind. Meanwhile while I figure out how to do that in such a way that it represents incontrovertible proof I give my word that I have no power saving or ultra power saving modes engaged.

I am amazed at the battery life on my Note 5 versus even my Galaxy S5. I don't blame you for being skeptical especially if you are having battery issues with your own phone. I wouldn't believe the battery usage stats I am seeing on the Note 5 either if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
10 hrs so far at 52%. Gear s2, Bluetooth, wifi, gps all on. NFC is off. Texting, emailing, phone calls, youtube, Internet browsing, Android forums app, twitter, tumbler, fb, pinterest, instagran, snapchat usage. I say battery is real good.

Screenshot please. Also, what's the screen on time?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Bluetooth- watches destroys battery life. One of the reasons I stopped using my moto360 with my Galaxy S5. Haven't even tried pairing my moto 360 to the note. I do use Bluetooth headphones and take a nice hit on battery life.
Why do you have NFC on?

I didn't realize I had NFC on. I am a true gear fan so I'm not willing to part with it.

I uninstalled all my games, Samsung Pay, Android Pay, turned off NFC, uninstalled my Microsoft apps (One Note, One Drive, and etc), got rid of all my adobe editing apps. I will ride without them for the time being and see how things go. And will add them back one at a time to see if there is any increase and battery drain.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Because it's more important to show what apps are used. That power saving mode can be turned on or turn before the screen pic. It doesn't prove anything to include it expect that it's not "on" during the screenshot.

Exactly what I was thinking, I was trying to come up with a means of demonstrating "incontrovertible" proof for MaskedCarrot but there really is no way. He could always say that I or we are switching off the battery saving mode before shooting the screenshot or using Photoshop or some other deceitful means of misrepresenting the facts. Even a video could be edited.

But then I have to ask myself, why would anyone do such a thing? Why would anyone think that I would do that. I am not selling the Note 5. I am not a stockholder.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I didn't realize I had NFC on. I am a true gear fan so I'm not willing to part with it.

I uninstalled all my games, Samsung Pay, Android Pay, turned off NFC, uninstalled my Microsoft apps (One Note, One Drive, and etc), got rid of all my adobe editing apps. I will ride without them for the time being and see how things go. And will add them back one at a time to see if there is any increase and battery drain.

I don't believe that one note or any of apps you mentioned would hurt your battery since I use all of them with good battery life. Apps like Facebook, Twitter, etc.. put a higher demand on the battery. What is your expectation of the note 5 battery?

The battery is good but you have to be realistic. First thing you need is to set a base, so you can range how well your battery is. Turn off Bluetooth, NFC, wifi and just use the phone to make calls, texts and surf the Web without any apps. Don't watch videos and don't travel around with the phone. That way you know it's not a signal issue. If your phone gets 5+ hours screen time you know your phone is fully function and it just boils down to the way use phone.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking, I was trying to come up with a means of demonstrating "incontrovertible" proof for MaskedCarrot but there really is no way. He could always say that I or we are switching off the battery saving mode before shooting the screenshot or using Photoshop or some other deceitful means of misrepresenting the facts. Even a video could be edited.

But then I have to ask myself, why would anyone do such a thing? Why would anyone think that I would do that. I am not selling the Note 5. I am not a stockholder.

Well not saying that you are one, but there are a lot of trolls out there that have fun messing with people.

Plus look at how suspicious it looks frankly. In this and other threads on Note 5 battery life, the vast majority will say they have bad battery life, and a few will rave about how great they're phone battery is.

I just fully charged my phone a few hours ago, but this time I put power saving mode on to see how that will be. I already lost 9% battey in 2 1/2 hours with 23 minutes of screen time. The rest is just idle.

I would expect better battery life than that on normal mode, but having power saver mode on, it still seems to stink.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Well not saying that you are one, but there are a lot of trolls out there that have fun messing with people.

Plus look at how suspicious it looks frankly. In this and other threads on Note 5 battery life, the vast majority will say they have bad battery life, and a few will rave about how great they're phone battery is.

I just fully charged my phone a few hours ago, but this time I put power saving mode on to see how that will be. I already lost 9% battey in 2 1/2 hours with 23 minutes of screen time. The rest is just idle.

I would expect better battery life than that on normal mode, but having power saver mode on, it still seems to stink.

Understood, and thanks for your confidence. Like I said, I can't blame you for being dubious of claims of great performance when you are faced with problems on your own phone.

I posted a while back that I had received two replacement phones to get to my 3rd Note 5. They were replaced for Bluetooth problems but I also noticed during that time that they were chewing through the battery like crazy. Just idling the battery would drop 8-10% an hour. I would go to bed with 100% battery and wake up with 50-60%. Then on the 3rd and current phone I go to bed with 100% and wake up with 94 to 96%. Granted there have been a couple OTA updates since this started, and two phone replacements. I guess #3 is a charmed phone. The Bluetooth and the battery issues are gone.

Otherwise I would have jumped ship.

Aaron_Jones

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't believe that one note or any of apps you mentioned would hurt your battery since I use all of them with good battery life. Apps like Facebook, Twitter, etc.. put a higher demand on the battery. What is your expectation of the note 5 battery?

The battery is good but you have to be realistic. First thing you need is to set a base, so you can range how well your battery is. Turn off Bluetooth, NFC, wifi and just use the phone to make calls, texts and surf the Web without any apps. Don't watch videos and don't travel around with the phone. That way you know it's not a signal issue. If your phone gets 5+ hours screen time you know your phone is fully function and it just boils down to the way use phone.

Will do... thanks for the tip.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Buy a wireless chargers. Buy two of them. Assuming you have a job or lifestyle that makes it practicable. The ones I use work very fast. Yeah too bad they did away with removable batteries. I always used them. Alternative is the iPhone 6 Plus. Yes it gets incredible battery life. But I couldn't live with mine after 7 months. It's OS is no more than an app launcher. And it doesnt handle widgets in the notify screen very well. Doesnt even give you the temp in the notify bar for gosh sakes.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Power saving mode doesn't do too much. It dims the screen a little and reduces cpu Performance. Cpu performance that you aren't using anyway unless gaming, editing, etc..

9% in 23 mins.. something is very wrong. Stand by time on this phone is great.

Here is my current usage. I charged my phone last night and it sat over night.
Off the charger for 17 hours. I listened to Pandora with my Bluetooth headphones for a little over an hour as I walked my dog. Watched an hour + of youtube. Browse with Chrome for at least two hours and watched some videos in the chrome browser. Sent texts, emails, not many phone calls. Using Android Central app. Took some pics and a video of my son. Some notes, not too much since I'm not working today. Over 50% battery and 3+ hours SOT time.

View attachment 211875View attachment 211876View attachment 211877232.jpg

aspiller1998

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
94d15552039d933bcb4dd308f48e807b.jpg
b641393aaa77c78050131a18a196d72c.jpg
30568a14038b379629abc28c75b1804c.jpg

Android system drains me all the time. 40+ min of stay awake...

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Look at your data usage it's 6 times what mine is...

what do you use so much data for?

Can you post a pic of your data mobile and wifi usage from your manger? Set the data cycle to 31. So it's only a couple of days.

Last edited:

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go to an AT&T DSC Center on Monday and get my Note 5 replaced and see if I have better luck with another one.

Although as I hate to admit it, an iPhone 6s+ is starting to enter the back of my mind as an alternative. I dunno.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm