Note 5 Battery life thread

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
When should the phone be charged? I usually let it drain all the way down less than 10%, but some people say to charge it at 40%, others say 50, etc. So I just want to know when is the best time to charge it to extend the battery life in the long run. I only plan on keeping the phone for a year though. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Keeping battery above 50% with good chargers (oem and spec) over the period of a year will give you 10%-30% more overall battery capacity than constantly draining it to low (based on usage, heat, and number of cycles) at the end of that time period.

That's the most basic and to the point answer I can give (and I know it gets waaaaaay more in depth from there, I would love to discuss the variables, factors, theory, and application. Trying to offer a useful generalization that will net-benefit the majority of readers).

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Must have a defective Note 5, no way the Iphone 6s plus can compete with the Note 5. The Note 5 is at least 25 to 30% "snappier" than the Iphone 6s plus on Antutu benchmarks. To each his own but benchmarks don't lie.

Life and perception doesn't work like a benchmark. I get the idea or benchmarks to test what not, but I was only comparing my perception of "snappier".

And I have 2 Note 5's, Once Verizon and one AT&T. I'm not saying the Note 5 is slow in any way, it is a fast unit, just that the few things I was doing seemed snappier on the 6s Plus.

Android is like dating a Super Model, it's just high maintenance. Just look at this thread of 119 pages. People trying everything under the sun to figure out why the battery life is bad on their Note 5. If I have a defective Note 5 like you say, then most of the people in this thread must also.

I'm still convinced it's a software issue and not a hardware issue, but waiting around hoping an OS fix will come along and everything will be peachy is just wishfull thinking.

I really think that google and the phone makers really need to take android and it's updates out of the hands of the carriers like Apple does. Things would be a lot better then. For example, as I said in the previous thread. My Verizon Note 5 is on OJ3, and my AT&T variant is still on OJ1. Even though my Verizon model has the Stand By bug, it still gets a little bit better battery life than my AT&T model.

Also the argument about fast charging and such, just remember that every time you charge your phone you're putting more cycles on your battery, and the overall life span of the battery drops. So keep using that fast charger multiple times a day and watch that cycle count add up.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I charge it at 5, 7 ,10 even 15% no harm done.

I think this is the best way to go. Higher current and higher heat hasten the demise of lithium ion batteries. Which is why I am not so fond of fast chargers. They aren't that much faster to begin with, and whatever speed advantage they offer comes at a price - the life of the battery.

They wise money says: "A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life."

So I charge frequently and charge slowly to maximize battery life in Lithium Ion cells. After all what's the hurry anyway?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Life and perception doesn't work like a benchmark. I get the idea or benchmarks to test what not, but I was only comparing my perception of "snappier".

And I have 2 Note 5's, Once Verizon and one AT&T. I'm not saying the Note 5 is slow in any way, it is a fast unit, just that the few things I was doing seemed snappier on the 6s Plus.

Android is like dating a Super Model, it's just high maintenance. Just look at this thread of 119 pages. People trying everything under the sun to figure out why the battery life is bad on their Note 5. If I have a defective Note 5 like you say, then most of the people in this thread must also.

I'm still convinced it's a software issue and not a hardware issue, but waiting around hoping an OS fix will come along and everything will be peachy is just wishfull thinking.

I really think that google and the phone makers really need to take android and it's updates out of the hands of the carriers like Apple does. Things would be a lot better then. For example, as I said in the previous thread. My Verizon Note 5 is on OJ3, and my AT&T variant is still on OJ1. Even though my Verizon model has the Stand By bug, it still gets a little bit better battery life than my AT&T model.

Also the argument about fast charging and such, just remember that every time you charge your phone you're putting more cycles on your battery, and the overall life span of the battery drops. So keep using that fast charger multiple times a day and watch that cycle count add up.

I wouldn't call it high maintenance, I would call it freedom.

My sister only uses iPhones but she doesn't know enough about technology to actually figure out what she wants her phone to do and she doesn't want to know that much. It works for her. She has an iPhone 6S and is always complaining that her phone is slower than nine and doesn't have close to the battery life that I have and things my phone can do that she can't, but she lives with it.

It's what she wants and that is fine.

That isn't what all of us want.

My stepfather's flip phone is snappier in many ways than my Note 5, but it isn't as powerful. "Snappier" isn't the end all, be all IMO, performance is.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call it high maintenance, I would call it freedom.

My sister only uses iPhones but she doesn't know enough about technology to actually figure out what she wants her phone to do and she doesn't want to know that much. It works for her. She has an iPhone 6S and is always complaining that her phone is slower than nine and doesn't have close to the battery life that I have and things my phone can do that she can't, but she lives with it.

It's what she wants and that is fine.

That isn't what all of us want.

My stepfather's flip phone is snappier in many ways than my Note 5, but it isn't as powerful. "Snappier" isn't the end all, be all IMO, performance is.

Ok here's another analogy.

Android (notice I said Android and not saying Note5), is also like owning a '60s muscle car. You're driving down the road and something just doesn't sound or feel right. You pull over and lift the hood and start tweaking something in the engine. Then you get back in and drive off. (I know people like that)

With android you have issues like battery life in this thread, or driving yourself crazy cause you have a wake lock you can't figure out, deep sleep issues...etc...I have used Android for a long time as well and iOS and have rooted / ROM'd many phones. The customizing argument is over rated, once the phone is set up, most people stop with the customizing. I actually had a bad case of burnout with Rom'n when I had an AT&T Samsung GS4. I used to run custom roms, made my own roms, constantly tweaking it and never really feeling satisfied with performance, so I'd start tweaking again. Ended up driving me crazy after awhile so I just stopped.

Not saying that iOS is without fault, it has it's fair share, but after I initially set it up, I don't have to do anything else, it just works.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to start an OS argument, I've lived on both sides of the OS fence, and like them both. The Note 5 was good enough to get me to switch from the iPhone 6+, but in the end, I just found that I had to constantly be tweaking something or pulling hair out trying to figure out why battery life wasn't good. Actually I was just reading a Nexus 6P thread on here for the heck of it, and people there were raving about battery life.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok here's another analogy.

Android (notice I said Android and not saying Note5), is also like owning a '60s muscle car. You're driving down the road and something just doesn't sound or feel right. You pull over and lift the hood and start tweaking something in the engine. Then you get back in and drive off. (I know people like that)

With android you have issues like battery life in this thread, or driving yourself crazy cause you have a wake lock you can't figure out, deep sleep issues...etc...I have used Android for a long time as well and iOS and have rooted / ROM'd many phones. The customizing argument is over rated, once the phone is set up, most people stop with the customizing. I actually had a bad case of burnout with Rom'n when I had an AT&T Samsung GS4. I used to run custom roms, made my own roms, constantly tweaking it and never really feeling satisfied with performance, so I'd start tweaking again. Ended up driving me crazy after awhile so I just stopped.

Not saying that iOS is without fault, it has it's fair share, but after I initially set it up, I don't have to do anything else, it just works.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to start an OS argument, I've lived on both sides of the OS fence, and like them both. The Note 5 was good enough to get me to switch from the iPhone 6+, but in the end, I just found that I had to constantly be tweaking something or pulling hair out trying to figure out why battery life wasn't good. Actually I was just reading a Nexus 6P thread on here for the heck of it, and people there were raving about battery life.

And most people set up their Android, customize and forget it, same thing.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Exactly the case here. I have no battery issues here 6+ hours SOT on most days. Phone has been super fast since day one. It's amazing how much better the note 5 is over my old galaxy S5. The performance is very smooth. I can't compare with iPhone 6S plus, since I never used one.

Jefstead

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I finally hit my limit with this crappy battery life, and just went back to the iPhone.

Earlier this week I went to the AT&T DSC at the mall, which is now in the stores, and talked with them about my bad battery life. They hooked it up to the machine and ran a test, and basically just told me there wasn't anything wrong with the battery that they could see, so they wouldn't swap it out. I said ok and just left and figured maybe I would just wait until Marshmellow came out.

Then I sat down with my Starbucks at the mall and was doing some reading on my phone. It dropped about %15 battery in around 10 minutes of so. After that, I walked upstairs to Apple and bought an iPhone 6s Plus. I finally had enough of it.

I've owned most iPhones in the past, and every once in awhile an Android phone will come out and catch my eye and I'll get it. After a short while something will crop up and really irked me and I'll go back to the iPhone. I should have known better when I got the Note 5, but I wanted to get it anyway, and it happened again.

In my previous posts in this thread, I was complaining about standby time on the Note 5. When I am at work I use my phone very little, and would be halfway drained after one day of doing almost nothing on the phone, just having it idle. With the 6s Plus, I lost about %15 since yesterday of it mainly being idle.

Plus I am surprised how fast the 6s Plus is. I thought the Note 5 was really fast, but this things just seems snappier.

This is pretty much my last few years experience when I try to switch from iOS to Android. The battery life of Android keeps sending me back to iOS. I am hopeful that when Marshmallow hits the Note 5, that will make enough improvement to the battery life so I can try to switch again.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
This is pretty much my last few years experience when I try to switch from iOS to Android. The battery life of Android keeps sending me back to iOS. I am hopeful that when Marshmallow hits the Note 5, that will make enough improvement to the battery life so I can try to switch again.

I am in the opposite situation, I value performance and customization over battery usage. Even if I had a battery "issue" it could be easily resolved, for me, with a power bank or car charger. But I don't have a battery issue. There is no disputing Android's superiority in these categories. It just depends on what the user values. Furthermore, I am baffled by the furor over the Note 5 battery.

I am getting plenty of battery on my T-Mobile Note 5. I am self-employed and, on some days, have to cover a lot of miles and 8 to 10 hours outside of my office with my Note 5 my only form of communication for phone and email. When I am out on the road away from my office I have never run out of battery. But just in case, I have a Choe power bank and an auto power adapter. Haven't used either one yet, but it's reassuring to know that I have them.

With my livelihood dependent on my business and my business dependent on communication I can't afford to be out of contact either by phone or email. I would never give up the speed, performance, multitasking, Google integration of calendar, maps, contacts, etc., for an iPhone again. My one experience with the iPhone4S cured me and it was far from just its terrible battery performance.

I wouldn't call an iPhone crappy but it's just nowhere near the capabilities of the Note 5. My brother just went through this, switching from a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus to a T-Mobile Galaxy S6. He had to try the iPhone to find out that for his purposes they just plain suck - he couldn't ride out the remainder of the year, fortunately for him he was able to get T-Mobile to pay off the outstanding balance and take the iPhones in trade. I really hated to tell him "I told you so..." but sometimes people have to make their own mistakes.

Last edited:

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what my wife did, and she has not even turned her phone off or reset for 8 months now. It just works. She really didn't have many problems with her former iPhone either, but it did require occasional resets when it froze or acted funny (especially under iOS 8.01, if I recall correctly). Her primary reason for moving is battery life under hard use and lots of talking. 11 hours talk time versus 25 hours of talk time was a no brainer.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Best battery performance yet... Couldn't be happier.

5 hours SOT with 45 hours of phone on battery.

On Verizon Note 5 with WiFi...get similar battery with LTE.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Why doesn't the Note 5 go into deep sleep in my backpack? Does the Note 5 have some sort of detection for going to sleep when it's laid flat?
I've noticed how when I put the Note 5 on a table before going to sleep, 8 hours later it only goes down at most 5%.
HOWEVER, at school I put it into my backpack, and there is like a 10% drain in 4 hours, and it seems android system is staying awake the whole time?

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Why doesn't the Note 5 go into deep sleep in my backpack? Does the Note 5 have some sort of detection for going to sleep when it's laid flat?
I've noticed how when I put the Note 5 on a table before going to sleep, 8 hours later it only goes down at most 5%.
HOWEVER, at school I put it into my backpack, and there is like a 10% drain in 4 hours, and it seems android system is staying awake the whole time?
If your at home and on wifi most likely at home you get good network there , now out your house it definitely eats more battery cause network is not as strong as in your house.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11