Note 5 Battery life thread

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that their phone holds a charge better when charged with the fast charger as opposed to another one, such as an iPhone charger? I'm starting to wonder if it makes a difference because aside from the voltage being higher on the Samsung charger, idk what other difference there could be. When I use my fast charger, I get about 5 hours SOT. When I use my iphone charger, I get like 3. Could this play a part, or am I crazy lol

Posted via the Android Central App

It feels like my phone does better when I use my 3rd party fast charger as opposed to the wireless pad they sent for free when I set up Samsung Pay. Which sucks because I use the wireless pad when I sleep overnight so I don't charge my phone in 40 minutes with the fast charger and have it sit plugged in for multiple hours.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the LG G4 and was able to achieve 5+ hours of on screen time. I switched from Verizon to AT&T and baught the Note 5. So, i am waiting it out to see if i can mirror the same on screen time. Let's see...

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
38b0802ad1a0a230a7a0d3118e256abb.jpg
6f5421b1f85c4b2de76c8cf9ff045b2e.jpg

Finally!

I was able to get 4 hours of SOT on VERIZON.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the LG G4 and was able to achieve 5+ hours of on screen time. I switched from Verizon to AT&T and baught the Note 5. So, i am waiting it out to see if i can mirror the same on screen time. Let's see...

I have no problem getting that kind of SOT on my AT&T Note. Merely disabled the carrier crap I'll never use through the app manager and it's been great.

From my AT&T Platinum Gold Note 5

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Just yesterday, my phone died after being off the charger for 3 hours. Today, same deal.

Didn't have much on the phone so i factory reset it. Today...full charge battery from 100% to 80 in 1 hour 30 minutes. Haven't touched the phone in that time frame, first time i turned the screen on was to check the life.

Do you think my battery went bad?

Not necessarily, android os is known for doing all kinda of crap in the background, the newer the os version, the worse.

To check if your battery is fine, do a calibration. When you do it, put the thing in airplane mode and just play mp4 movies in loop.

zCirca

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
The phone really does struggle when it doesn't have a good data signal (as I saw from reading the entire thread but hadn't noticed it myself yet). I was at an amusement park for about 5 hours today and the 4g LTE was floating between 1-4 bars throughout the park. I checked my signal strength once and it was about 105-114 dBm at the time. I usually average 5 1/2-6 1/2 hours SOT easily and don't charge the phone every day. Today I went from 100% to 14% in the 6-7 hours I was gone from my home and wasn't even at 3 hours of SOT. AT&T Note 5

zCirca

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Poor signal will drain battery. Don't think this problem is exclusive to the Note 5.

I know any phone is going to drain when it has low signal. I just thought that was pretty drastic compared to previous experiences with my note 5 and other phones I've owned. I guess the phone very aggressively tries to get signal haha.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
OK... I'm going to post this here and now about the Battery in the Note 5 rather than start another thread.

Even though my phone runs well on both 4G and Wifi, and have no apparent or outrageous gremlins running down my battery...

I'm a power user and in the past have had multiple batteries, always buying a new one every three to four months or so to keep phone optimally charged...

After four months of hard, power usage, even though the phone quick charges quickly, even though I keep the phone's settings reasonable and not power hungry...

THIS BATTERY WILL NOT SURVIVE TWO YEAR'S OF USAGE! IN FACT, THIS BATTERY WILL NOT SURVIVE ONE YEAR'S USAGE!

Samsung and Verizon... get ready because in a few months, I will be contacting you under warranty for a replacement Note 5... and later on, will use my extended warranty for a replacement phone... WITH NEW AND FRESH BATTERIES INSTALLED!

In the future, I will probably, to my DREAD, go to an IPHONE where I can go to the local store and get a new and fresh battery installed while I wait.

I will remain with Samsung only if they have factory authorized centers here in Denver where I can walk in and they can install a new, fresh battery. I will if course pay for this service.

These sealed Samsung phones, for a power user... will simply... NOT MAKE IT!

YMMV. That's my experience watching my battery degrade after four months.

aspiller1998

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm VERY tempted to get a replacement and sell it on eBay to pay off my AT&T Next installments then go to an iPhone 6s with apples yearly upgrade program...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781