08-21-2015 02:00 PM
195 1234 ...
tools
    Spot on I couldn't agree with you more. Make no mistake if Samsung continues its present course they will go down like Nokia. I swear there are Apple moles working for Samsung. What I believe is really tragic is that the S6 came very close to being a phenomenal sales winner. If it had simply a removable back plus a bigger battery than the S5 + micro SD card + generous hard drive storage as standard, it would have sold much better .
    I think what would really make an impact is a lower price-tag.

They've been in decline before the Note 4 came out, so I highly doubt that their decision to remove an SD card slot made a big difference, though it is a possible factor.
    08-15-2015 10:09 PM
    Well, from what I've been seeing, the Moto X and even the OnePlus Two has similar build quality.

IMHO, a price drop to something a bit more reasonable would help them.

I still stand by my belief that Samsung's decline has to do with cheaper phones that are similarly-specced. I don't think it has anything to do with their decision to remove an SD card slot and sealing up a battery.

Remember, they've been in decline before the Note 4 even got revealed
    I agree with you. I haven't used a device with an SD card slot and/or a removable battery since I last used a BlackBerry in 2011.

I'm currently using a 2013 Moto X. I'm getting the 2015 Moto X Pure when it is released, but because I like stock Android, not because I need an SD card slot.
    08-15-2015 10:15 PM
    A removable battery and SD card is not the answer. If it was really a big deal the iPhone, which has never had either one, wouldn't be so successful.

I'm not smart enough to say exactly what Samsung should do. But cutting way, WAY back on the number of models, while offering models both with and without removable batteries and SD cards seems like a good place to start. Eliminating Touchwiz and reducing the number of different phones would cut development, tooling, production and inventory costs. In turn they could offer more competitive pricing.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-15-2015 10:19 PM
    A removable battery and SD card is not the answer. If it was really a big deal the iPhone, which has never had either one, wouldn't be so successful.

I'm not smart enough to say exactly what Samsung should do. But cutting way, WAY back on the number of models, while offering models both with and without removable batteries and SD cards seems like a good place to start. Eliminating Touchwiz and reducing the number of different phones would cut development, tooling, production and inventory costs. In turn they could offer more competitive pricing.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.
    Same.

Also, lowering the prices on their phones would also make a significant impact.

Their current prices for a contract-free device are insane. They cost more than the iPhone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-2015 10:20 PM
    Ahh the hyperbole. Samsung is "only" gonna make around $6 Billion profit this QUARTER. The trend is down, but jeez guys, I think they can keep the lights on here.
    Are you sure? 6 billion dollars for a quarter equals 24 billion dollars for a year. Samsung last year spent 34 billion dollars in research alone. Plus of course massive amounts of money in advertising.
    08-16-2015 12:10 AM
    Are you sure? 6 billion dollars for a quarter equals 24 billion dollars for a year. Samsung last year spent 34 billion dollars in research alone. Plus of course massive amounts of money in advertising.
    Oy. 6 billion in PROFIT, not in revenue ..
    08-16-2015 12:16 AM
    That was a dumb move considering the S6/S6 edge has 128 GB. I am a note user, and I have multiple SD cards that I swap using a note phone, and the VERY LEAST they could do is give me a 128 GB option. Aside from storage capacity, it also does not make sense to have a limited worldwide release. Samsung just does not want this thing to sell well it seems, and they are relying on the note 5/S6 edge+ to drive sales for the 2nd half of the year? Make sense? I just have this gut feeling that this note 5 is going to be a bigger disappointment than the S5. Good job, Samsung....
    08-16-2015 12:32 AM
    So Samsung is going under because of this? HTC is gonna make it, right?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    dsignori and Adawg1203 like this.
    08-16-2015 12:51 AM
    Honestly, I thought the Note 5 was going to fail when I heard that it did not have a removable battery or a sd card reader. I work at Best Buy and we have been receiving a lot of preorders for the Note 5. Also, the Verizon rep came to visit my store this morning to talk about Verizon's new data plans. According to the rep, they have been receiving a lot of preorders for the Note 5 too. So, I guess only time will tell if Samsung is successful with the Note 5/Edge Plus
    08-16-2015 12:58 AM
    Honestly, I thought the Note 5 was going to fail when I heard that it did not have a removable battery or a sd card reader. I work at Best Buy and we have been receiving a lot of preorders for the Note 5. Also, the Verizon rep came to visit my store this morning to talk about Verizon's new data plans. According to the rep, they have been receiving a lot of preorders for the Note 5 too. So, I guess only time will tell if Samsung is successful with the Note 5/Edge Plus
    As a salesperson, is Samsung the easier sale?

08-16-2015 01:03 AM
    As a salesperson, is Samsung the easier sale?

Most customers already made the decision of what phone they are getting before I even see them. This makes my job a lot easier to be honest. There is a really nice Samsung and Apple display at my store. So, most of the customers tend to leave with a Samsung or Apple smartphone.
    08-16-2015 01:25 AM
    I agree with a lot of the comments posted on this forum and the current position that Samsung is in. They definitely produce too many instantly forgettable phones each year and the release of the S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge + and the Note 5 as flagship phones confuses the consumer.

As a UK consumer looking to make his first foray into Samsung mobiles (previously enjoyed HTC) I have been eagerly waiting the release of the new note to coincide with the end of my phone contract and am left extremely disappointed by the decision to omit Europe from this product.

Having been with HTC I haven't had the luxury of sd cards and removable batteries and have grown accustom to managing with the restrictions of the devices purchased. My reason for wanting the Note was the reason for its creation - its ability to offer something different with the stylus and its carefully crafted integration within its software.

However, I have been deprived of this option. As I understand it, one of the reasons was that they felt this marketplace didn't fully appreciate the stylus and what it brought to the party. Well if that is the case and you were only giving us the Edge + then test that logic. Make the Note elements of the software available as a download through the Samsung marketplace and sell a separate case with a stylus and holder integrated into it and lets see what happens. If successful this could be built as an optional add on to the flagship range.

I know this wouldn't sit easy with the diehard note fans and in an ideal world the Note would have continued on its previous course, but Samsung's recent actions have shown that isn't going to happen. Who knows, the suggestion noted above could introduce more people to the notion of the note, remove the concerns for some over its size and generate an interesting agile consumer product.
    08-16-2015 02:59 AM

i'm really outta the loop...wuts the tail end of ur reply mean?! "Rotflmaoiwyci!"

Also, after reading here Best Buy had Note 5 & S6 Edge+ in store already, i had to go visit, hoping against hope they were MUCH better in person....

Two words: oy vay!

This is only one gal's opinion, and i am a diehard Sammy fan, (if Sammy makes it, i buy it, and ask questions LATER) but man o man, this time Sammy, ol' pal, ol' bud, you missed the mark (by about a country mile : (

BTC
    in ways you can't imagine!!
    08-16-2015 04:43 AM
    They should do what Motorola did. Focus on a few good phones instead of releasing so many different phones and having different phones for different markets.

They should have a budget phone, a mid and then the S6 and note flagships. Nice and simple with only 4 phones to worry about per year and they can get updates out faster which will also help retain and gain future customers.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2015 06:05 AM
    So Samsung is going under because of this? HTC is gonna make it, right?

Not going under, but I don't see it pushing their sales for the 2nd half of the year. I don't see the excitement even from note users looking to upgrade because of the removed features. This reminds me of the disappointment that came with the S5 last year. It is also not available everywhere.
    dcstuntman likes this.
    08-16-2015 06:23 AM
    People, this isn't about the removable battery or sd card. It is however, about the removal of features that made the galaxy line stand out from the rest, sans LG. Samsung has made great strides in the hardware department and for that i give kudos but thats it. There's nothing else.

See, the phone is premium. It is. But they removed features Then upped the price. For what? More onboard storage? Bull malarkey. They did it to be like mike....er....apple. people have said that sammy is getting squeezed by cheap chinese crap. They are. But thats sammys fault. They were on par with other manufacturers on price to an extent, then with the s6 that changed.

Point is, they removed what made them different, upped the price, and now expect to be like apple. People flocking to it's doorstep. Not going to happen. If i can buy a sub 300 dollar off contract phone that will do 3/4 of what a 900 to 1000 dollar phone can do, that's a no brainer, I'm going too. Premium materials? Whatever. Its going in a case anyways.

Samsung needs to differentiate, lower prices, and listen to real world people and not analytics to make decisions on what people may want in a flagship phone. Until then, sammy will continue to lose market share and profits.

08-16-2015 06:35 AM
    ...This is only one gal's opinion, and i am a diehard Sammy fan, (if Sammy makes it, i buy it, and ask questions LATER) but man o man, this time Sammy, ol' pal, ol' bud, you missed the mark (by about a country mile : (

BTC

in ways you can't imagine!!
    My first reply to this topic was a little flip, but having given this subject more thought, i am certain there are a multitude reasons for Sammy's demise, and here are some i came up with...

Even tho i at first felt "removing hardware features" added to the disappointment felt around the globe at Samsungs Aug 13 unveiling, i'd have to say this: I just don't see hardware feature removal or build materials as the problem....sure, it makes us die hard phone junkies and tech bloggers, "ooh & ahh", but honestly I have yet to come across a friend, co worker, family member stranger or anyone or i can think of that TRULY even knows half of what their phone can do or if it even has a removable sd card/ battery/ what the screen resolution is or what BLOATWARE even is"....

Wayyyy cheaper, well built phones are DEFINITELY a major contributing factor to Sammy's decline, and i am certain it added to Sony's, HTC's woes & certainly has LG on the ropes FOR SURE. If Sammy had taken a marketing cue from the smaller guys & downsized their advertising budget, (what with there being a Samsung Dept in every Best Buy & even some Office Depot's, are massive advertising campaigns even necessary?!) they could EASILY have knocked 25% - 35% off of costs and still deliver a premium phone..

Another i would cite is Sammy's "sneaky way" of naming EVERYTHING they produced after they had a success with their Galaxy S line, a "Galaxy S" device... Huge FAIL in my opinion...fooling many ppl into thinking they were buying (& paying a premium price) for devices that lacked the features & performance of the devices that DID deliver the hype. I know i certainly became distrustful of them when i started noticing that UNLESS u "disected each model BEFORE purchasing" you could wind up pretty burned...

Also, even tho they probably DID do massive research and polled the public, "would they embrace a bigger version of S6 Edge that didn't include an S Pen??!!", and probably received very positive feedback and a slew of unequivocal "yesssssss's"...i imagine they failed to ask the, "burning" follow up question: "Ok, NOW, would you pay $750.00 - $900.00 for it??!!

BUT i am citing #1 contributing factor is the design, plain & simple. If from a few inches away you CANNOT tell the difference from a Note 4 to a Note 5, and software wise you have ONLY minimally improved it. When the world has been watching & waiting for 6 months what you will do since Apple stepped up their game and u are no longer capable of wooing the ppl away with ur "bigger screen"...Since these days, any phone over 300 bucks can seemingly give the average consumer great performance.... Their double Edge design is nice, but its been out 5 months, they shouldn't have just brought "more of the same"...

In future if they want to stay competitive, they should focus on DESIGN, & PRICE" factor... Imagine Samsung introducing a flagship for about $500 bucks with all the bells & whistles with a new clean but elegant design? It could easily be done if they weren't so greedy & their marketing budget put under control...

Even i, who have NEVER cared for onscreen buttons think its time for that oval button to hit the skids, even a capacitive series of buttons like on the ZTE Axon would be preferred, , trash the "glass sandwich" design, and if you MUST design a keyboard for a phone (still scratching my head over THAT one- Does ANYONE need any further proof how "out of touch" Sammy has become?! A crappy scrunched together plastic keyboards for our beautiful phones? In 2015??!! ) At least have it be the length of the phone that opens from a smart cover case, like the Surface tablet....those are just a few ideas off the top of my head, its 6 am here!

But if Sammy wants to replicate their success of 3 years ago, NOT GONNA HAPPEN they should just "throw in the towel now".... The time of sitting on the edge of our seats WAITING for a "decent & powerful device has come & gone. Market is flooded... But that's not to say with some restructure and LESS HYPE about devices that are just "dang good & not try to present themselves as offering something u can't get up the street" is a BIG MISTAKE....

Lets not forget Apple is in a class by themselves, if someone wants an Iphone, they go to Apple, PERIOD. If someone wants an Android phone, Lord help them with the voluminous & abundant choice that are out there, almost MAKES u wanna run to Apple for the "simplicity of choice it offers!"

Not saying they can't EASILY bounce back, look how just 2 years ago ppl were saying Apple had become complacent and stubborn....They gve the ppl the 6 & 6+, updated IOS, added some flexibility & "voila! BACK TO THE TOP!"

BTC

(Gawwwwd, BTC, what a rant!! Thats what ya get when i'm up at 5:30 on a Sunday morning & everyone else still asleep...lol)
    Crashdamage and johnmcd348 like this.
    08-16-2015 07:01 AM
    Only time will tell.

08-16-2015 08:26 AM
    But Samsung is still the best company in Android world, if not LG g4 had already taken Samsung's place, but it didn't happen. But I don't think I will buy Samsung's phones next year, I preordered note5 and I didn't feel excited.

That's pretty much how I feel. I skipped the Note 3 because my Note2 still did everything I wanted without any issues. I held off on the Note 4 because the Note2 as still doing well enough but beginning to lag a bit and by the time I started thinking about upgrading, I knew the Note 5 would be coming out in a few months so I held off.

When the specs for the S6 came out, I was talking with a lot of people at work who are also tech fans and we all speculated that: "There's NO WAY the Note wouldn't come with a SD card. For a phone that does so much more than the S-lines of phone, you really kind of need that extra storage for your "Notes" and what not.

To say I was saddened by the release and actual specs of the Note5 would be an understatement but I'm going to give it a try. I'm really not looking forward to using it like I did when I first bought my Note2. There's no excitement right now for it.
    08-16-2015 08:28 AM
    Personally I think the Note 5 looks great, it would have got better press if they had a 128GB version at launch and didn't get rid of the IR blaster. SD cards and Removable batteries don't really bother me infact I had the SD feature and would rather have bigger internal storage.

08-16-2015 08:31 AM
    IMHO, I think one big reason why Samsung's profits are heading towards the red is because of all the new wave of smartphones that pack in a lot of punch for not much money at all.

Phones like the ASUS Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 64GB, the "phone-that-we-love" 2015 Moto X Pure, and even the OnePlus Two are good examples of phone that pack in flagship-grade hardware with a much more affordable MSRP. Let's not forget phones like the Xiaomi Mi4, Huawei P8 and other phones from Chinese OEMs that look great, feel great, pack in nice hardware while keeping an affordable MSRP.

Given that these phones offer a similar experience to the S6, it's harder to justify paying $700 for an S6 now.

IMO, Samsung's only way of staying relevant is to reduce the prices on their devices. They've been in decline before the Note 4 came out, so I highly doubt that the downward trend has anything to do with the removal of an SD card slot.
    These phones only appeal to tech geeks on forums like this. Read this list to a bunch of normal people and they will be puzzled and I doubt they'll know what you're talking about. These phones aren't a major threat yet, but soon could be. They have no mainstream appeal and that's where there money is.

I don't know what the solution or issue to Samsung's woes are or I'd be an executive, but I do know the experience on Samsung phones is not pretty. They are a disjointed mess with bugs and flaws. They don't feel like cohesive devices, just a bunch of components put together. Samsung are kings of components and hardware but the package with software isn't compelling. All Android OEM's have this issue to an extent since they're never quite optimised for Android. I consider HTC phones amongst the best to use - smoothest and prettiest to use. Samsung just throw a bunch of specs and numbers and expect to wow consumers. They don't deliver the punch to back that up. Look at the S6 - poor battery, buggy and laggy software despite monster specs. It's clearly not designed to last a year let alone 2 years. You reap what you sow.

gg22 likes this.
    08-16-2015 09:20 AM
    Got about 15 minutes of hands on with Note 5 yesterday. Preface, we were going to BBY to upgarde my wife's S5 to an S6. She spent 5 minutes with Note 5, new S-Pen, etc.. Sold. I am a Nexus fan but the Note 5 is the best feeling (in hand) large phone I've ever touched. This thing is a winner.

Additionally, cloud storage FTW.
    08-16-2015 09:40 AM
    People are tired buying almost same things over and over again specially at consecutive years. I have checked out sgs6 recently and quite surprised by the beautification of the handset. It's gorgeous, elegant and beautiful. It's expensive too. It's the most exclusive design by far from Samsung. They deserve a huge round of applause for this movement. Now the market feels immense pressure from Chinese manufacturers. I am not saying that the competition is bad for consumers, rather it is good for us. Now we are able to get the experience of Android with modest cost. But for that reason we might be losing some of the best manufacturers in this business whom we admired for long like htc. Hope things will get well and we can get good and quality handsets from these top manufacturers at reasonable prices..

Crashdamage likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:35 AM
    ...This is only one gal's opinion, and i am a diehard Sammy fan, (if Sammy makes it, i buy it, and ask questions LATER) but man o man, this time Sammy, ol' pal, ol' bud, you missed the mark (by about a country mile : (

BTC

My first reply to this topic was a little flip, but having given this subject more thought, i am certain there are a multitude reasons for Sammy's demise, and here are some i came up with...

Even tho i at first felt "removing hardware features" added to the disappointment felt around the globe at Samsungs Aug 13 unveiling, i'd have to say this: I just don't see hardware feature removal or build materials as the problem....sure, it makes us die hard phone junkies and tech bloggers, "ooh & ahh", but honestly I have yet to come across a friend, co worker, family member stranger or anyone or i can think of that TRULY even knows half of what their phone can do or if it even has a removable sd card/ battery/ what the screen resolution is or what BLOATWARE even is"....

Wayyyy cheaper, well built phones are DEFINITELY a major contributing factor to Sammy's decline, and i am certain it added to Sony's, HTC's woes & certainly has LG on the ropes FOR SURE. If Sammy had taken a marketing cue from the smaller guys & downsized their advertising budget, (what with there being a Samsung Dept in every Best Buy & even some Office Depot's, are massive advertising campaigns even necessary?!) they could EASILY have knocked 25% - 35% off of costs and still deliver a premium phone..

Another i would cite is Sammy's "sneaky way" of naming EVERYTHING they produced after they had a success with their Galaxy S line, a "Galaxy S" device... Huge FAIL in my opinion...fooling many ppl into thinking they were buying (& paying a premium price) for devices that lacked the features & performance of the devices that DID deliver the hype. I know i certainly became distrustful of them when i started noticing that UNLESS u "disected each model BEFORE purchasing" you could wind up pretty burned...

Also, even tho they probably DID do massive research and polled the public, "would they embrace a bigger version of S6 Edge that didn't include an S Pen??!!", and probably received very positive feedback and a slew of unequivocal "yesssssss's"...i imagine they failed to ask the, "burning" follow up question: "Ok, NOW, would you pay $750.00 - $900.00 for it??!!

BUT i am citing #1 contributing factor is the design, plain & simple. If from a few inches away you CANNOT tell the difference from a Note 4 to a Note 5, and software wise you have ONLY minimally improved it. When the world has been watching & waiting for 6 months what you will do since Apple stepped up their game and u are no longer capable of wooing the ppl away with ur "bigger screen"...Since these days, any phone over 300 bucks can seemingly give the average consumer great performance.... Their double Edge design is nice, but its been out 5 months, they shouldn't have just brought "more of the same"...

In future if they want to stay competitive, they should focus on DESIGN, & PRICE" factor... Imagine Samsung introducing a flagship for about $500 bucks with all the bells & whistles with a new clean but elegant design? It could easily be done if they weren't so greedy & their marketing budget put under control...

Even i, who have NEVER cared for onscreen buttons think its time for that oval button to hit the skids, even a capacitive series of buttons like on the ZTE Axon would be preferred, , trash the "glass sandwich" design, and if you MUST design a keyboard for a phone (still scratching my head over THAT one- Does ANYONE need any further proof how "out of touch" Sammy has become?! A crappy scrunched together plastic keyboards for our beautiful phones? In 2015??!! ) At least have it be the length of the phone that opens from a smart cover case, like the Surface tablet....those are just a few ideas off the top of my head, its 6 am here!

But if Sammy wants to replicate their success of 3 years ago, NOT GONNA HAPPEN they should just "throw in the towel now".... The time of sitting on the edge of our seats WAITING for a "decent & powerful device has come & gone. Market is flooded... But that's not to say with some restructure and LESS HYPE about devices that are just "dang good & not try to present themselves as offering something u can't get up the street" is a BIG MISTAKE....

Lets not forget Apple is in a class by themselves, if someone wants an Iphone, they go to Apple, PERIOD. If someone wants an Android phone, Lord help them with the voluminous & abundant choice that are out there, almost MAKES u wanna run to Apple for the "simplicity of choice it offers!"

Not saying they can't EASILY bounce back, look how just 2 years ago ppl were saying Apple had become complacent and stubborn....They gve the ppl the 6 & 6+, updated IOS, added some flexibility & "voila! BACK TO THE TOP!"

BTC

(Gawwwwd, BTC, what a rant!! Thats what ya get when i'm up at 5:30 on a Sunday morning & everyone else still asleep...lol)
    But Samsung and LG aren't "on the ropes".

Adawg1203 likes this.
    08-16-2015 11:35 AM
    Not everyone wants simplicity in a phone. They want to customize the heck out of it to make it their own. With IPhone(s) you really can't do much. I dislike the Iphone screen display with all the icons hiding or getting in the way of your favorite wallpaper).Can you put widgets on the home screen to show like your calendar, music player or to do list? I don't think so. (Yes, there's the notification for all that, but it's one step more to get what you need). I like widgets And customization.
    08-16-2015 12:33 PM
195 1234 ...