08-21-2015 02:00 PM
195 12345 ...
tools
    Not everyone wants simplicity in a phone. They want to customize the heck out of it to make it their own. With IPhone(s) you really can't do much. ....

Very true. And how do they sell?
    MikeX74 and Chris Williams8 like this.
    08-16-2015 12:49 PM
    90% of users buy cases so why should anyone care what phone is made of? I'm sorry but if you spend $700 on a phone and don't either insure it nor buy a case you're either rich or well you fill in the alternatives. ..
    bigglyguy likes this.
    08-16-2015 01:22 PM
    Most people don't have the time or don't have the brains or don't care about customizing their phones. Many just want the hippest phone. Those are iPhone users.

I do have the time, brains, and inclination to customize my phones but google and Samsung diminish my enthusiasm with each generation of phones that do less cost more and diminish the Android experience by limiting customization. I never thought I would buy an iPhone but s6, note 5, HTC that never changes, and LG weird back buttons have me considering it.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    08-16-2015 01:28 PM
    They sell because they are Simple and easy to use. Plain and Simple. They are NOT complicated to the extent that they scratch their head wondering how in the world Android users use their type of phone . Android comes up with the advanced technology and innovation. Their motto, "The Next Big Thing Is Here" . That's who they are. APPLE does it their ways and it works because that is their motto. I tried the IPhone 5 for two days and took it back to get the Note 3 months after it came out. I Need customization, I need theme launchers, I need a decent File Management, i need to be able to send More than one file or from different mediums, LED indicator, etc; OH and not to mention More than ONE way to get damn music files off the pc to a phone without using only Itunes. (This drove me insane as i had to be chained to my pc to transfer files. I rather drag and drop then be on my way). IPhone doesn't have all of that. They are Slowly adding some of those features, but it's too slow for me.
    08-16-2015 01:35 PM
    They sell because they are Simple and easy to use. Plain and Simple. They are NOT complicated to the extent that they scratch their head wondering how in the world Android users use their type of phone . Android comes up with the advanced technology and innovation. Their motto, "The Next Big Thing Is Here" . That's who they are. APPLE does it their ways and it works because that is their motto. I tried the IPhone 5 for two days and took it back to get the Note 3 months after it came out. I Need customization, I need theme launchers, I need a decent File Management, i need to be able to send More than one file or from different mediums, LED indicator, etc; OH and not to mention More than ONE way to get damn music files off the pc to a phone without using only Itunes. (This drove me insane as i had to be chained to my pc to transfer files. I rather drag and drop then be on my way). IPhone doesn't have all of that. They are Slowly adding some of those features, but it's too slow for me.
    Marketing works.

That's how Apple became the juggernaut that it is today.

And that's also how Samsung caught up.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Crashdamage likes this.
    08-16-2015 01:41 PM
    But Samsung and LG aren't "on the ropes".

if they aren't now, they are about to be... Just watch those closings of their Samsung counters in Best Buy... One by one, you'll see....And as for LG, they once had their sights set on surpassing Samsung's success, aimed a little too high in my opinion, but if they can be content with being #3 or 4 and they continue to make quality handsets at a reasonable price they'll be ok... and even if i'm wrong, from where I sit its how I sees it

BTC
    08-16-2015 02:47 PM

if they aren't now, they are about to be... Just watch those closings of their Samsung counters in Best Buy... One by one, you'll see....And as for LG, they once had their sights set on surpassing Samsung's success, aimed a little too high in my opinion, but if they can be content with being #3 or 4 and they continue to make quality handsets at a reasonable price they'll be ok... and even if i'm wrong, from where I sit its how I sees it

BTC
    What timeframe are you expecting for Samsung to pull their product displays out of Best Buy?

dsignori and Adawg1203 like this.
    08-16-2015 02:51 PM
    Let's throw some numbers and studies into the thread.

US market share (June 2015):

http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Mar...r-Market-Share

Global market share (Q1 2015):

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

08-16-2015 03:04 PM
    Most people don't have the time or don't have the brains or don't care about customizing their phones. Many just want the hippest phone. Those are iPhone users.

I do have the time, brains, and inclination to customize my phones but google and Samsung diminish my enthusiasm with each generation of phones that do less cost more and diminish the Android experience by limiting customization. I never thought I would buy an iPhone but s6, note 5, HTC that never changes, and LG weird back buttons have me considering it.
    Well, I am like you and want to customize everything. Most people are not like us though. I think that is the repeated, repeated, repeated message around here that isn't sinking in to some. There just aren't enough folks like us to warrant building phones to. I love my Note 4. I am getting the Note 5, because the removal battery and sd slot aren't essential to me, and the rest of the Note 5 seems awesome to me. I understand , and sympathize with, those who those who have different views.

p.s. We can still customize the hell out of Android phones, and my enthusiasm for Android has never been higher. Perhaps you are referencing the battery and SD card with the "customization" point. If so, I don't understand the point.
    08-16-2015 03:19 PM

Not sure if you realized it or not, but Samsung Galaxy S and Note phones are in the "hip phone" category too.

08-16-2015 03:21 PM
    Marketing works.

That's how Apple became the juggernaut that it is today.

And that's also how Samsung caught up.

What's your point? Marketing with Apple didn't sway me to Stay with them. I know what I want and need. Don't need you telling me otherwise.
    08-16-2015 03:26 PM
    What's your point? Marketing with Apple didn't sway me to Stay with them. I know what I want and need. Don't need you telling me otherwise.
    My point is Samsung's marketing budget got them to be as big as they are now.

Adawg1203 and newsman787 like this.
    08-16-2015 03:28 PM
    What timeframe are you expecting for Samsung to pull their product displays out of Best Buy?

i say right after Christmas 2015... (u may quote me... lol)

BTC
    08-16-2015 05:29 PM
    Let's throw some numbers and studies into the thread.

US market share (June 2015):

comScore Reports June 2015 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Global market share (Q1 2015):

IDC: Smartphone Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012

flop the photo vertically of that chart and in 6 mos it'll be an accurate illustration!
    (and trust me, i'm no hater, but good gravy, in my opinion they just have begun to do everything WRONG!)

BTC
    08-16-2015 05:34 PM
    i say right after Christmas 2015... (u may quote me... lol)

BTC
    lol.

08-16-2015 05:37 PM
    flop the photo vertically of that chart and in 6 mos it'll be an accurate illustration!
    (and trust me, i'm no hater, but good gravy, in my opinion they just have begun to do everything WRONG!)

BTC
    ...so HTC and Motorola will be 1 and 2?

08-16-2015 05:37 PM
    ...so HTC and Motorola will be 1 and 2?

HTC & Motorola? No clue...I haven't touched HTC since i had my EVO, and i once owned a Motorola Backflip for about 20 seconds, so i am completely out of my depth on that one... But u answered so quick to previous, i didn't get the chance to insert my proof of what a Sammy fangirl i am... ( I woulda dug my INFUSE out for the group shot but its too buried in the closet...lol)

I think Samsung is in trouble-all-sammy.jpg

BTC
    08-16-2015 06:18 PM
    Well, I am like you and want to customize everything. Most people are not like us though. I think that is the repeated, repeated, repeated message around here that isn't sinking in to some. There just aren't enough folks like us to warrant building phones to. I love my Note 4. I am getting the Note 5, because the removal battery and sd slot aren't essential to me, and the rest of the Note 5 seems awesome to me. I understand , and sympathize with, those who those who have different views.

p.s. We can still customize the hell out of Android phones, and my enthusiasm for Android has never been higher. Perhaps you are referencing the battery and SD card with the "customization" point. If so, I don't understand the point.
    I also used to be able to root, flash roms, listen to fm radio without using data, use ir blaster and customize it to run all my devices. Good luck doing that on a note 5.
    08-16-2015 06:26 PM

HTC & Motorola? No clue...I haven't touched HTC since i had my EVO, and i once owned a Motorola Backflip for about 20 seconds, so i am completely out of my depth on that one... But u answered so quick to previous, i didn't get the chance to insert my proof of what a Sammy fangirl i am... ( I woulda dug my INFUSE out for the group shot but its too buried in the closet...lol)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All In Sammy.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	562.0 KB 
ID:	191516

BTC
    You said to flop the order around so I figured you meant 1. HTC, 2. Motorola, 3. LG, 4. Samsung, and 5. Apple.

08-16-2015 06:57 PM
    I also used to be able to root, flash roms, listen to fm radio without using data, use ir blaster and customize it to run all my devices. Good luck doing that on a note 5.
    Thanks. I'll try to get over my disappointment :-)
    Ry likes this.
    08-16-2015 06:57 PM
    You said to flop the order around so I figured you meant 1. HTC, 2. Motorola, 3. LG, 4. Samsung, and 5. Apple.

no, i meant flop it so that the lines were going down instead of up...

But really, what do i know about interpreting charts?! i know that the one thing Sammy lets me do WITHOUT root is change my font to anythinggggggg and that is an ABSOLUTE dealbreaker for me. I am sure it is why i have stuck with them this long!

I think Samsung is in trouble-alpha-screen-shot.png

If the day ever came i couldn't have my Quintana font on my device, i think i'd have to go back to two cans & a string... (Shallow like that...lol)

and ya know, this post got me to thinkin'....i hope Sammy does release a S6 Edge+ WITH an S-Pen to compete with the LG G4 Pro/Plus/Note or whatever the heck LG is gonna call it... Thats what Samsung should have done instead of just upsizing it and we wouldn't even be having this conversation...

The bigger curved screen w/ rounded edges, the ability to write notes with screen OFF, my Quintana font... drooling just thinkin' about it... Now THAT is a device i would buy!!

BTC
    08-16-2015 07:27 PM
    I made I post on Instagram 40 ppl responded on video of s6 edge plus everybody wants it because the way it looks... They have a hit on they hakim buying s6 edge plus in gold because it looks so nice.. My tablet has SD card and ir blaster

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2015 07:50 PM
    Touch Wiz has improved but it remains an impediment to rapid software updates along with carrier bloat. I watched a great video on youtube where they put Android onto an iphone and showed it off as ios 9, users were blown away, totally wanted those features. So its clear, stock android is a better way to go, allows for rapid software updates, and Samsung is totally inconsistent with updates, they need to do it better and right the first time. Tell the carriers no to bloatware, cut the crapware out, stop the carriers from meddling, look at Moto's move and going direct. Samsung could do any or all of these steps and yet still doesn't it.
    08-16-2015 08:33 PM
    Touch Wiz has improved but it remains an impediment to rapid software updates along with carrier bloat. I watched a great video on youtube where they put Android onto an iphone and showed it off as ios 9, users were blown away, totally wanted those features. So its clear, stock android is a better way to go, allows for rapid software updates, and Samsung is totally inconsistent with updates, they need to do it better and right the first time. Tell the carriers no to bloatware, cut the crapware out, stop the carriers from meddling, look at Moto's move and going direct. Samsung could do any or all of these steps and yet still doesn't it.
    My next device will be the moto x pe 2015 or the new nexus. I'm no longer stuck with one company (and carrier!) at their mercy..... Hallelujah!!!! Break free and you shall see!!!!
    msummerour likes this.
    08-16-2015 08:56 PM
    Samsung's latest financial reporting session showed disappointing sales of the S6, and they admitted they underestimated the demand for the S6 Edge. By the time they figured out the mistake and increased Edge shipments, it was too late...the buzz had worn off. I see more of the same for the Note/S6 Edge +, as it seems Samsung is not doing a good job of understanding what their consumers want.

I believe the root cause is a dramatic shift in Samsung's approach to phones and tablets. They want to be Apple 2.0, but have missed the bulk of the premium phone market already as most people who can afford the top of the line phones are seeing fewer reasons to upgrade every year for incremental feature enhancements. They have shifted the design of their top tier tablets to the same diminsions of iPads, but waited to do this until iPad sales had already started a large decline....again, too late to the premium game.

There used to be complaints about Samsung's cheap hardware design (plastic backs, etc), but the phones still sold well. I believe they did need to improve in the hardware design area, and this year's models are indeed beautiful. However, they dropped many of the features that were differentiators between them and Apple, like removeable batteries, SD cards, IR blasters, water proofing (for the S5 anyway), etc. So now they have fewer feature advantages, little to no price advantage, have alienated a significant portion of their core users, and are facing a rapidly increasing set of Android competitors that offer good or better quality phones often at much lower prices.

I hope I'm wrong. My last 3 phones have been the Note 4, Note 3, and S3. But as nice as the new phones look, things that matter to me are no longer available in the Samsung top tier. I'm gonna start looking at other vendors, and I'm guessing many others will as well.

What do you think?
    excellent points. I think you nailed it. they'll sell a ton of phones, and they'll make billions of dollars, but like you said, they're falling short of expectations for a lot of reasons.

The general public, as you pointed out, doesn't see the need to upgrade every year with such minimal upgrades from year to year. A lot of "us" don't either. Verizon's new pricing structure, along with phones like the Moto X and their distribution strategy, are also a big factor.

I won't repeat what you said, you pretty much summed it up perfectly, but I will say I wish Samsung well and hope anyone that bought one in 2015 is happy. personally though, I'm one of those people you mentioned. I'll hold onto my next phone for 36 months, and I'm not spending $600+ on a phone. The Pure and probably Nexus are more than capable and satisfy all my needs.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    08-16-2015 09:26 PM
195 12345 ...