I think Samsung is in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Marketing works.

That's how Apple became the juggernaut that it is today.

And that's also how Samsung caught up.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

What's your point? Marketing with Apple didn't sway me to Stay with them. I know what I want and need. Don't need you telling me otherwise.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What's your point? Marketing with Apple didn't sway me to Stay with them. I know what I want and need. Don't need you telling me otherwise.

My point is Samsung's marketing budget got them to be as big as they are now.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Let's throw some numbers and studies into the thread.

US market share (June 2015):

comScore Reports June 2015 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Global market share (Q1 2015):

IDC: Smartphone Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012

flop the photo vertically of that chart and in 6 mos it'll be an accurate illustration!
(and trust me, i'm no hater, but good gravy, in my opinion they just have begun to do everything WRONG!)

BTC

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
flop the photo vertically of that chart and in 6 mos it'll be an accurate illustration!
(and trust me, i'm no hater, but good gravy, in my opinion they just have begun to do everything WRONG!)

BTC

...so HTC and Motorola will be 1 and 2?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
...so HTC and Motorola will be 1 and 2?

HTC & Motorola? No clue...I haven't touched HTC since i had my EVO, and i once owned a Motorola Backflip for about 20 seconds, so i am completely out of my depth on that one... But u answered so quick to previous, i didn't get the chance to insert my proof of what a Sammy fangirl i am... ( I woulda dug my INFUSE out for the group shot but its too buried in the closet...lol)

All In Sammy.jpg

BTC

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, I am like you and want to customize everything. Most people are not like us though. I think that is the repeated, repeated, repeated message around here that isn't sinking in to some. There just aren't enough folks like us to warrant building phones to. I love my Note 4. I am getting the Note 5, because the removal battery and sd slot aren't essential to me, and the rest of the Note 5 seems awesome to me. I understand , and sympathize with, those who those who have different views.

p.s. We can still customize the hell out of Android phones, and my enthusiasm for Android has never been higher. Perhaps you are referencing the battery and SD card with the "customization" point. If so, I don't understand the point.
I also used to be able to root, flash roms, listen to fm radio without using data, use ir blaster and customize it to run all my devices. Good luck doing that on a note 5.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

HTC & Motorola? No clue...I haven't touched HTC since i had my EVO, and i once owned a Motorola Backflip for about 20 seconds, so i am completely out of my depth on that one... But u answered so quick to previous, i didn't get the chance to insert my proof of what a Sammy fangirl i am... ( I woulda dug my INFUSE out for the group shot but its too buried in the closet...lol)

View attachment 191516

BTC

You said to flop the order around so I figured you meant 1. HTC, 2. Motorola, 3. LG, 4. Samsung, and 5. Apple.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
You said to flop the order around so I figured you meant 1. HTC, 2. Motorola, 3. LG, 4. Samsung, and 5. Apple.

no, i meant flop it so that the lines were going down instead of up...

But really, what do i know about interpreting charts?! i know that the one thing Sammy lets me do WITHOUT root is change my font to anythinggggggg and that is an ABSOLUTE dealbreaker for me. I am sure it is why i have stuck with them this long!

alpha screen shot.png

If the day ever came i couldn't have my Quintana font on my device, i think i'd have to go back to two cans & a string... (Shallow like that...lol)

and ya know, this post got me to thinkin'....i hope Sammy does release a S6 Edge+ WITH an S-Pen to compete with the LG G4 Pro/Plus/Note or whatever the heck LG is gonna call it... Thats what Samsung should have done instead of just upsizing it and we wouldn't even be having this conversation...

The bigger curved screen w/ rounded edges, the ability to write notes with screen OFF, my Quintana font... drooling just thinkin' about it... Now THAT is a device i would buy!!

BTC

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I made I post on Instagram 40 ppl responded on video of s6 edge plus everybody wants it because the way it looks... They have a hit on they hakim buying s6 edge plus in gold because it looks so nice.. My tablet has SD card and ir blaster

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Touch Wiz has improved but it remains an impediment to rapid software updates along with carrier bloat. I watched a great video on youtube where they put Android onto an iphone and showed it off as ios 9, users were blown away, totally wanted those features. So its clear, stock android is a better way to go, allows for rapid software updates, and Samsung is totally inconsistent with updates, they need to do it better and right the first time. Tell the carriers no to bloatware, cut the crapware out, stop the carriers from meddling, look at Moto's move and going direct. Samsung could do any or all of these steps and yet still doesn't it.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Touch Wiz has improved but it remains an impediment to rapid software updates along with carrier bloat. I watched a great video on youtube where they put Android onto an iphone and showed it off as ios 9, users were blown away, totally wanted those features. So its clear, stock android is a better way to go, allows for rapid software updates, and Samsung is totally inconsistent with updates, they need to do it better and right the first time. Tell the carriers no to bloatware, cut the crapware out, stop the carriers from meddling, look at Moto's move and going direct. Samsung could do any or all of these steps and yet still doesn't it.

My next device will be the moto x pe 2015 or the new nexus. I'm no longer stuck with one company (and carrier!) at their mercy..... Hallelujah!!!! Break free and you shall see!!!! :)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung's latest financial reporting session showed disappointing sales of the S6, and they admitted they underestimated the demand for the S6 Edge. By the time they figured out the mistake and increased Edge shipments, it was too late...the buzz had worn off. I see more of the same for the Note/S6 Edge +, as it seems Samsung is not doing a good job of understanding what their consumers want.

I believe the root cause is a dramatic shift in Samsung's approach to phones and tablets. They want to be Apple 2.0, but have missed the bulk of the premium phone market already as most people who can afford the top of the line phones are seeing fewer reasons to upgrade every year for incremental feature enhancements. They have shifted the design of their top tier tablets to the same diminsions of iPads, but waited to do this until iPad sales had already started a large decline....again, too late to the premium game.

There used to be complaints about Samsung's cheap hardware design (plastic backs, etc), but the phones still sold well. I believe they did need to improve in the hardware design area, and this year's models are indeed beautiful. However, they dropped many of the features that were differentiators between them and Apple, like removeable batteries, SD cards, IR blasters, water proofing (for the S5 anyway), etc. So now they have fewer feature advantages, little to no price advantage, have alienated a significant portion of their core users, and are facing a rapidly increasing set of Android competitors that offer good or better quality phones often at much lower prices.

I hope I'm wrong. My last 3 phones have been the Note 4, Note 3, and S3. But as nice as the new phones look, things that matter to me are no longer available in the Samsung top tier. I'm gonna start looking at other vendors, and I'm guessing many others will as well.

What do you think?

excellent points. I think you nailed it. they'll sell a ton of phones, and they'll make billions of dollars, but like you said, they're falling short of expectations for a lot of reasons.

The general public, as you pointed out, doesn't see the need to upgrade every year with such minimal upgrades from year to year. A lot of "us" don't either. Verizon's new pricing structure, along with phones like the Moto X and their distribution strategy, are also a big factor.

I won't repeat what you said, you pretty much summed it up perfectly, but I will say I wish Samsung well and hope anyone that bought one in 2015 is happy. personally though, I'm one of those people you mentioned. I'll hold onto my next phone for 36 months, and I'm not spending $600+ on a phone. The Pure and probably Nexus are more than capable and satisfy all my needs.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think what would really make an impact is a lower price-tag.

They've been in decline before the Note 4 came out, so I highly doubt that their decision to remove an SD card slot made a big difference, though it is a possible factor.

I agree with you, but I think you might be slightly misinterpreting the OP's point. Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I don't think he's suggesting that removing the SD card, or any single feature, is the only reason for Samsung's sales recently declining.

I think his main point was, like you suggested, that you can buy a similar phone for a lot less, and the premium market in general is one that's losing market share. had they kept some of their features that differentiated them, combined with what you said, lowering their prices a bit to avoid that declining high end market, it's possible they might've appealed to a larger customer base.

of course, it's also possible had they not made the dramatic shift they did, that they'd generate less revenue had they kept things similar and offered a more competitive price.

it'll be impossible to prove either theory so there's no right or wrong answer, but it's a possibility and I'm sure one that Samsung thoroughly explored before making their design change.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
excellent points. I think you nailed it. they'll sell a ton of phones, and they'll make billions of dollars, but like you said, they're falling short of expectations for a lot of reasons.

The general public, as you pointed out, doesn't see the need to upgrade every year with such minimal upgrades from year to year. A lot of "us" don't either. Verizon's new pricing structure, along with phones like the Moto X and their distribution strategy, are also a big factor.

I won't repeat what you said, you pretty much summed it up perfectly, but I will say I wish Samsung well and hope anyone that bought one in 2015 is happy. personally though, I'm one of those people you mentioned. I'll hold onto my next phone for 36 months, and I'm not spending $600+ on a phone. The Pure and probably Nexus are more than capable and satisfy all my needs.

Phones like the Moto X Pure you mentioned and Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 64GB are why I think Samsung may not see record sales anytime soon.

Phones that pack in flagship punch for a very reasonable price. They make the Galaxy S6 look overpriced by comparison.

IMO, the wooden Moto X Pure looks better than the S6. My personal opinion, however.

I may throw in the OnePlus Two in the list, but the fact that it still requires an invite is a no-go for me.

But with all these phones coming out, we should see the days of the $600 Android flagship coming to an end.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget phones like the Moto X Pure and Zenfone 2 ZE551ML 64GB.

Phones that pack in flagship punch for a very reasonable price. They make the Galaxy S6 look overpriced by comparison.

IMO, the wooden Moto X Pure looks better than the S6. My personal opinion, however.

I may throw in the OnePlus Two in the list, but the fact that it still requires an invite is a no-go for me.

I totally agree ... the OP also pointed out that there are many phones with high end specs, mostly the ones you mentioned, that are half the price. that's really what I got out from reading his post and what I agree with.

take me for example. Samsung user for 3 years (also own a Nexus 4). I was getting the S6 Edge. I mean, it was mine .... until I heard about the battery life and issues with LP. That gave the G4 just enough time for me to wait it out. Liked the G4, but hate the software. I've long been a fan of the Moto X, already had my S4 for almost 3 years, so what's another few months. Enter the Pure. Has almost every feature I'm after for a reasonable price.

I need 2 phones so I'll grab a Nexus, but that proves both your point, as well as part of what the OP said. My philosophy has changed. I now have so many more options to buy great phones at reasonable prices. I'm not shelling out $700 for any phone, I want an unlocked, unbranded, bloat free phone with most of the specs I want for a reasonable price. and I'll be keeping it for 3 years must likely. that wasn't an option before, today it is, and I think that's the main reason Samsung isn't experiencing the same sales.

Apple's advantage is they have no competition for iOS. people love the ecosystem, but if there were 10 other phones that has iOS, that'd change pretty quick. just like if Samsung was the only OEM that offered Android. They'd make $2 billion a week, at least.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree ... the OP also pointed out that there are many phones with high end specs, mostly the ones you mentioned, that are half the price. that's really what I got out from reading his post and what I agree with.

take me for example. Samsung user for 3 years (also own a Nexus 4). I was getting the S6 Edge. I mean, it was mine .... until I heard about the battery life and issues with LP. That gave the G4 just enough time for me to wait it out. Liked the G4, but hate the software. I've long been a fan of the Moto X, already had my S4 for almost 3 years, so what's another few months. Enter the Pure. Has almost every feature I'm after for a reasonable price.

I need 2 phones so I'll grab a Nexus, but that proves both your point, as well as part of what the OP said. My philosophy has changed. I now have so many more options to buy great phones at reasonable prices. I'm not shelling out $700 for any phone, I want an unlocked, unbranded, bloat free phone with most of the specs I want for a reasonable price. and I'll be keeping it for 3 years must likely. that wasn't an option before, today it is, and I think that's the main reason Samsung isn't experiencing the same sales.

Apple's advantage is they have no competition for iOS. people live the ecosystem, but if there were 10 other phones that has iOS, that'd change pretty quick. just like if Samsung was the only OEM that offered Android. They'd make a 2 billion dollars a week, at least.

Totally agree. I love my G4 so much, but it'll probably be the last phone that costs $600+ that I'll own.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple can charge $600+ for an iPhone for much longer if Android phones drop in price. They can't rely on their Die-hard fans for much longer IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs