I think Samsung is in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
And then someone else can say that everyone they know with a Note doesn't bother putting in SD card in it or doesn't buy an extra battery...

Still - the sky is not falling.

True......that's my point, there's really no data on either side of the argument that I've seen. We won't really know for quite some time what the fallout, if any, will be......and, true again, the sky is not falling. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I get that, but I'm talking about what a few people here keep claiming. That if the note doesn't sell well it will be because of SD. How do you even make that connection (more like a leap)? There's not even anything out there to base that on.

Because it is entirely logical to assume this. When 2 of the Notes main features are removed and sales aren't as good, it's a indicator that this reason had a negative impact on those sales,just as adding features or changing it's looks could be the reason for increased sales.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Because it is entirely logical to assume this. When 2 of the Notes main features are removed and sales aren't as good, it's a indicator that this reason had a negative impact on those sales,just as adding features or changing it's looks could be the reason for increased sales.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
No it's not. In fact last week one of the moderators here proved that Samsung's mobile phone sales decline started in 2013-2014 while there WERE SD cards included. Your assumption isn't logical at all, it's pure wild speculation based on absolutely no tangible evidence whatsoever.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I see what you're saying. I think if it doesn't sell well (and I don't think it will), it will be for more than just one reason but the lack of SD card is one of them IMO.

1. High price when many lower priced and still highly capable devices are hitting the market.

2. Sealed battery making longevity in such a high priced device dubious.

3. The SD card issue of course.

4. Tha lack of IR blaster (basically what's seen as the stripping of features to go along with the higher price tag).

5. The fact that cell phones are so advanced and that the market is saturated will likely lower demand as many people don't see the need to upgrade as often.

Posted via the Android Central App

This. People (on both sides) are so hung up on just the SD card aspect, but it's really the sum total that I feel is going to cause a huge drop off in sales. Apple can get away with charging $849 for a 64GB high end phone, I don't feel that's going to be the case with Samsung. Not to mention with the current trend of contracts going the way of the dodo and people having to pay retail for the phones, it's not good news for Samsung. But yes, I concur with jlczl. Removing the SD card, sealing the battery in, only offering up to 64GB storage, jacking up the prices, including charging $100 more for extra storage (again I think only Apple can get away with this), and cheaper options hitting the market (Moto X Pure). It's really a perfect storm of bad news for Samsung.

I do know their sales have been trending down since 2013 as has been said, but Samsung apparently thought that trying to copy Apple was the way to stop the slide. I do think they had the right thought with moving more towards a premium feel, but they could have done that and kept the features they removed.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I know i'm pretty bummed out as I should be about to get a new phone as I do every year. Like most Note fans, expecially Note 4 owners, I'm no impressed enough by the 5 to upgrade. I've reached the point where I'm tired of paying $800 for phones, at least every year. If I were to get rid of my Note 4 and upgrade to the Note 5, it'll be in a few months after there's a price drop. I definitely won't be locking myself in that launch price considering the S6 price cuts that came reasonably quickly. I'll probably be ordering a Moto X Pure when available. I can do with the sealed battery, but I need an sdcard slot since OEMs act like storage is so damn expensive they have to charge in $100 increments. Give me a 32gb moto X Pure and the sdcard slot.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Considering that Samsung is ignoring the whole of Europe when it comes to the Note5 of course sales will be down.

As a Note4 owner I was looking forward to the Note5 but as I am in England it won't be sold here. Even if it was the lack of SD storage would have made me look elsewhere.

Samsung really has shot itself in the foot this time around. Trying to emulate Apple will destroy their mobile phone business. Ignoring a whole continent won't help either.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

corty34m

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree. I have owned a Note 2,Note 3, S4, and a Note 4 and love the big screens. I am so disapointed in Samsung right now. I was not happy at all over losing the removeable battery and microsd card, but I could have lived with a 128gb version and would have upgraded. Someone please explain to me why on earth they made a 128gb S6 and S6 edge but not the Note 5 or S6 Edge+?????!!!!!! That is beond stupid and ludacris! If you have expandable storage then fine 64gb is ok and even 32gb has been doable with a 128gb card inserted,but no expansion means that 64gb should have been the entry level model with 128gb and maybe even a 256gb model. They also could have done 2 versions a 64gb with smaller battery or a 128gb with larger battery just like some phones will have a 3 and 4gb model available. I honestly don't know what to do. I love samsung hardware but need more then 64gb. Maybe we will all get lucky and they will eventually release a 128gb version or hopefully incipio will make their offgrid case with built in battery and microsd card case for the note 5/s6 edge+ like they have for the regular s6 and s6 edge. If Samsung was smart they would make their own cases with extra battery and storage options. Even Apple has 128gb versions of the iphone and iphone plus and I though Samsung was always trying to out shine Apple. Epic Fail Samsung!

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The lack of SD card support and user replaceable batteries is not going to stop someone who wants the Note 5 from buying the Note 5.

Samsung is not in trouble.
Time will tell the impact to Sam, but without these two important features most people will reevaluate other options. Sam has lowered their value prop in a big way.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This. People (on both sides) are so hung up on just the SD card aspect, but it's really the sum total that I feel is going to cause a huge drop off in sales. Apple can get away with charging $849 for a 64GB high end phone, I don't feel that's going to be the case with Samsung. Not to mention with the current trend of contracts going the way of the dodo and people having to pay retail for the phones, it's not good news for Samsung. But yes, I concur with jlczl. Removing the SD card, sealing the battery in, only offering up to 64GB storage, jacking up the prices, including charging $100 more for extra storage (again I think only Apple can get away with this), and cheaper options hitting the market (Moto X Pure). It's really a perfect storm of bad news for Samsung.

I do know their sales have been trending down since 2013 as has been said, but Samsung apparently thought that trying to copy Apple was the way to stop the slide. I do think they had the right thought with moving more towards a premium feel, but they could have done that and kept the features they removed.
What JoJo said.

Apple is 70-80% a handheld graphical terminal. It can store some photos and music, but that is all most general public users want it's what we refer to in the IT sector as an appliance. It does a few things well and that's all you get but it is simple to use and stable.

Without subsidies for iPhones I think we'll see iPhone market share look like more like their desktop and laptop market share maybe less since the iPhone bang for the buck is much less than Android devices. If anything can save iPhone share it will be their services but even robust services priced incorrectly will erode market share.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree. I have owned a Note 2,Note 3, S4, and a Note 4 and love the big screens. I am so disapointed in Samsung right now. I was not happy at all over losing the removeable battery and microsd card, but I could have lived with a 128gb version and would have upgraded. Someone please explain to me why on earth they made a 128gb S6 and S6 edge but not the Note 5 or S6 Edge+?????!!!!!! That is beond stupid and ludacris! If you have expandable storage then fine 64gb is ok and even 32gb has been doable with a 128gb card inserted,but no expansion means that 64gb should have been the entry level model with 128gb and maybe even a 256gb model. They also could have done 2 versions a 64gb with smaller battery or a 128gb with larger battery just like some phones will have a 3 and 4gb model available. I honestly don't know what to do. I love samsung hardware but need more then 64gb. Maybe we will all get lucky and they will eventually release a 128gb version or hopefully incipio will make their offgrid case with built in battery and microsd card case for the note 5/s6 edge+ like they have for the regular s6 and s6 edge. If Samsung was smart they would make their own cases with extra battery and storage options. Even Apple has 128gb versions of the iphone and iphone plus and I though Samsung was always trying to out shine Apple. Epic Fail Samsung!
I don't think the 128gb S6 and Edge sold particularly well and probably because of the price I understand if they didn't include one for the Note. The Note 4 was a new design, they could have improved on it and rode it out for another year with the 5.

I see some saying the general public doesn't care about the battery and sd slot. I consider my wife the general public. She wanted to get the Note 4 in May. I told her she may as well wait for the 5 and the rumor about not having an battery and sdcard slot, she wanted the 4 because of that reason. As a heavy text/talk user, that feature was very important to her. I guess we'll all get used to it, not right now though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Time will tell the impact to Sam, but without these two important features most people will reevaluate other options. Sam has lowered their value prop in a big way.

Some. Not necessarily most.

sparkyman22

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I predict the sales are going to be so so because the consumers will be lured in by the shinny new phone purchase, but after 6-8 months when their storage is maxed out and the phone is laggy and their battery is starting to degrade and not replaceable there will be many customers not happy with their purchase anymore because Samsung told them they did not need those things and they will jump ship, sent from my Lg G4 with 160gb of battery saving device storage.

vision63

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
You represent what amounts to the actual truth of the matter. Moving forward, the latest phones don't translate to a demonstrable superior experience. Now that Apple has enlarged their screens, they will discover this as well. It appears the latest fad are cheaper phones that offer a premium experience. The sensation of the cell phone is moderating.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I predict the sales are going to be so so because the consumers will be lured in by the shinny new phone purchase, but after 6-8 months when their storage is maxed out and the phone is laggy and their battery is starting to degrade and not replaceable there will be many customers not happy with their purchase anymore because Samsung told them they did not need those things and they will jump ship, sent from my Lg G4 with 160gb of battery saving device storage.
Using microSD cards isn't going to help with any lag. If anything, the cards will contribute to the lag, since they are slower than accessing internal device storage.

xxGBHxx

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I think they are still out of the loop if they thought they simply underestimated the demand. That was not the problem at all and the fact that they put out what amounts to the Galaxy Fail 6, but bigger and with an S-Pen shows that they are in no hurry to figure out the real problem. We don't want an Android version of an iPhone. We want the latest and greatest specs with the features that distinguished them from the pack with maybe some new innovation that brings some new growth to what your phone can do, but all wrapped up in a higher quality material whether that be aluminum, titanium or what have you, but anything other than glass. It's really not that hard and now more companies have figured that out and filling that niche. It's a shame to see a company blow the edge they had.

My Galaxy S5 is garbage. I spent over $600 on a phone that every single day locks up while texting or opening apps. I watched my screen freeze just 30 minutes ago with my little swipe yellow line stuck on the screen where I was trying to type a message and it just hung. I'm sorry, but if I spend $600 on something and it freezes like that after 13 months of use, I will not be back so go ahead and lump quality into that column of what people want as well because out of the two devices I bought last year with Samsung's name on them (The Galaxy Note 2014 being the other one), they both are pieces of junk and I will not longer buy their products.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I may have missed it but do any VZW users get annoyed at the lack of simultaneous voice and data in 3G zones? Or the fact that if you are in a LTE phone call and drive to 3G zone the call is disconnected? Having a separate CDMA radio may not be forward thinking but as long as Big Red has the best or at worst second best coverage the lack of a separated cdma radio is a big deal to me. The Note 4 of course has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs