I think Samsung is in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree. I love my G4 so much, but it'll probably be the last phone that costs $600+ that I'll own.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple can charge $600+ for an iPhone for much longer if Android phones drop in price. They can't rely on their Die-hard fans for much longer IMHO.

Apple's biggest threat is the carriers dropping the subsidized phones. Its going to hurt Samsung too, but Samsung can just change the specs of their device to save on costs. Apple is already producing phones with 1/2 the specs of any modern phone so they can't shave costs there

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Apple's biggest threat is the carriers dropping the subsidized phones. Its going to hurt Samsung too, but Samsung can just change the specs of their device to save on costs. Apple is already producing phones with 1/2 the specs of any modern phone so they can't shave costs there

Excellent point

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well they could drop price -- They are overcharging like crazy for what they cost to make (same with Samsung). So could they drop the price? Yes -- Will they? Not sure. I would assume only if absolutely forced since they want to keep their profits.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah, thanks for the info. That they will be selling the Moto X Pure at Best Buy is a good move. They'll lose sales from not being in carrier stores, but Motorola should be congratulated for releasing a flagship device that is not loaded down with Carrier bloatware.

That and the features are the reason hoping the device is good and battery life as well. Unless there is some new tech, the Note 5 can get away with a 3000mah more due to the AMOLED display. I have not heard of a real power efficient LCD so far.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Dropping subsidized phones won't hurt Apple much, if at all. Apple has other ways to get you trapped in their fruit-flavored ecosystem for life:

https://www.sprint.com/landings/iph...Fb4lg9zBudDyNwACFDu1saAsZ38P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

No doubt the other carriers will soon have similar deals. If people want iPhones Apple and the carriers will find ways to put iPhones in their hands.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Spoiler alert: they don't.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Wrong. The phone is not out yet and sales numbers won't be in for a while. So you don't know what the general public cares about. I will say that just within friends and family that I have that use Android devices, having an SD card is a big thing. And these are the people who would be more in the general public rather than the tech savvy category. One thing I do know is that at least within the tech savvy community, the crapstorm is heavy against Samsung right now. Every single tech site that has an article about the Note 5, there's TONS of comments against Samsung's decisions with the Note 5, and how they're either keeping what they have, getting last years model (Note 4), or switching to one of Samsung's rival. Over the past two days I've read no less than 40 articles, hands on, mini-reviews, etc on the Note 5 across any and every tech/mobile site out there, and it's the same story. So it's too early to tell right now, but if sales of the S6 are any indication, they may be in for more trouble with the Note 5. I can say that it will be real interesting to see what direction they go in with the S7/N6 in a years time.

Edit: To add, I am going to be ordering a Note 4 later this week.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wrong. The phone is not out yet and sales numbers won't be in for a while. So you don't know what the general public cares about. I will say that just within friends and family that I have that use Android devices, having an SD card is a big thing. And these are the people who would be more in the general public rather than the tech savvy category. One thing I do know is that at least within the tech savvy community, the crapstorm is heavy against Samsung right now. Every single tech site that has an article about the Note 5, there's TONS of comments against Samsung's decisions with the Note 5, and how they're either keeping what they have, getting last years model (Note 4), or switching to one of Samsung's rival. Over the past two days I've read no less than 40 articles, hands on, mini-reviews, etc on the Note 5 across any and every tech/mobile site out there, and it's the same story. So it's too early to tell right now, but if sales of the S6 are any indication, they may be in for more trouble with the Note 5. I can say that it will be real interesting to see what direction they go in with the S7/N6 in a years time.

Do you think LG will leapfrog Samsung to be #2 in the US because of this "fiasco"?

Samsung is not doomed.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you think LG will leapfrog Samsung to be #2 in the US because of this "fiasco"?

Samsung is not doomed.

No I don't think LG will go anywhere, and I definitely don't think Samsung is doomed (I never said that). Their profits have fallen, but they are still raking in the dough. I do think their plan of going to hell and back to be like Apple is destined to fail. I just hope they realize it before they become the next BlackBerry/Palm/Nokia/HTC. Their past commercials making fun of Apple now look really hypocritical. I'm just going to be paying attention to quarterly sales (like I always do) and see how the Note 5 sales do. If they're on par or better than Note 4 then good for them, they're justified in the decisions they made, and people like you who think the SD/removable battery don't matter will have been proven right. If sales are disappointing or at worst a disaster, then it will be interesting to see what their move is next year.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
. I'm just going to be paying attention to quarterly sales (like I always do) and see how the Note 5 sales do. If they're on par or better than Note 4 then good for them, they're justified in the decisions they made, and people like you who think the SD/removable battery don't matter will have been proven right. If sales are disappointing or at worst a disaster, then it will be interesting to see what their move is next year.

Well the note 5 sales won't be comparable to the Note 4 sales because the Note 5 launched alongside a second big screen device, the S6 Edge plus. If you look at the combined sales of the Note 5 and S6E+, I bet it will outsell the Note 4 despite the moaning on the forums about the battery and SD card, because in addition to the folks that buy the Note regardless of the battery/sd card, you will have a lot of semi-clueless Iphone users are going to be drawn to the S6E+ because it looks incredibly premium with the big screen and dual curved edge display. The S6 edge sales showed the look is attractive to the regular joe in the phone store.

So I don't think you will see the Note line return to its roots next year, unless another device (like the rumored LG Pro with stylus) really makes a killing, getting Samsung to take notice. Could that happen? Possibly. But it won't be because they compared Note 4 numbers to Note 5 numbers.

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Samsung is not doomed.

Agreed. So much drama about something that so few care about. And besides, LG has its own issues.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well the note 5 sales won't be comparable to the Note 4 sales because the Note 5 launched alongside a second big screen device, the S6 Edge plus. If you look at the combined sales of the Note 5 and S6E+, I bet it will outsell the Note 4 despite the moaning on the forums about the battery and SD card, because in addition to the folks that buy the Note regardless of the battery/sd card, you will have a lot of semi-clueless Iphone users are going to be drawn to the S6E+ because it looks incredibly premium with the big screen and dual curved edge display. The S6 edge sales showed the look is attractive to the regular joe in the phone store.

So I don't think you will see the Note line return to its roots next year, unless another device (like the rumored LG Pro with stylus) really makes a killing, getting Samsung to take notice. Could that happen? Possibly. But it won't be because they compared Note 4 numbers to Note 5 numbers.
I agree with most of your posts but suggest Samsung is going to take a significant mobile hit, even with Edge in the total. A few months to see.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good marketing can only take you so far. The fact is that Apple makes great products. Are they perfect? Hell no, but to say(or infer) that their skill at marketing is the sole reason why they're the "juggernaut" they are today is a bit naive. You can have the largest, splashiest ad campaign known to man, and millions of people can buy what you're selling, but if what you're selling sucks and the products get returned, what have you really accomplished, except for creating a negative perception around your brand?

To the general consumer, Samsung's products don't "suck".

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Extra space for your notes and stuff??? Notes take up no space at all.

Perhaps yours may not but many of mine are photo intense with lots of diagramming and such. They take up a lot more space than a typical list type note. Just like with a Word document. Just typing the document is one thing. Takes up very little space comparatively. Once you start adding charts and pictures and that 300k document turns into a 3gb one real quick.

I can't say right now exactly but, I ran a file scanner on my phone a couple of years ago and there were 4 *.snb files on there that were in the top tier of storage usage and took up (I can't recall exactly) around 1.9gb of the internal storage. That was just 4 files. I had about 140 note files on my phone. I just messed up a couple of days ago and transferred all my Note files to Evernote(thankfully) and my internal memory went up from less than 2gb available to 7.3gb available. This is on a Note2 with 11gb of usable internal storage.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Edit: To add, I am going to be ordering a Note 4 later this week.

I agree with you 100%. Everyone is saying that nobody in the general public cares about removable batteries and sd cards but they really have no data to back that up. I believe iPhone users don't care about that but every Note user I know does care about it and is upset about the removal of them in the Note 5........and no, they aren't tech enthusiasts either. They are business men and women that use the Note series instead of iPhones precisely because they had those features.......and now they're gone.

As far as Samsung gaining enough converts from Apple with their new design.......it's not going to happen. IPhone users are extremely loyal and are neck high in the ecosystem to switch even if they wanted to.

At any rate, time will tell. Even though I don't want Samsung to suffer too much, I do want the Note 5 to not do so well so Samsung can take notice and re-introduce these features in a future Note. At that point I may be back but as of right now count me as another Note user that isn't buying a new Note.

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Why do you SD card proponents seem to be under the impression that Samsung sales will be in direct proportion to whether or not there's an SD card in it? I keep hearing a few of you repeat this. "when sales numbers are released, you'll all see whether no SD was a good decision or not"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you 100%. Everyone is saying that nobody in the general public cares about removable batteries and sd cards but they really have no data to back that up. I believe iPhone users don't care about that but every Note user I know does care about it and is upset about the removal of them in the Note 5........and no, they aren't tech enthusiasts either. They are business men and women that use the Note series instead of iPhones precisely because they had those features.......and now they're gone.

As far as Samsung gaining enough converts from Apple with their new design.......it's not going to happen. IPhone users are extremely loyal and are neck high in the ecosystem to switch even if they wanted to.

At any rate, time will tell. Even though I don't want Samsung to suffer too much, I do want the Note 5 to not do so well so Samsung can take notice and re-introduce these features in a future Note. At that point I may be back but as of right now count me as another Note user that isn't buying a new Note.

The lack of SD card support and user replaceable batteries is not going to stop someone who wants the Note 5 from buying the Note 5.

Samsung is not in trouble.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Why do you SD card proponents seem to be under the impression that Samsung sales will be in direct proportion to whether or not there's an SD card in it? I keep hearing a few of you repeat this. "when sales numbers are released, you'll all see whether no SD was a good decision or not"

Because, at least in my case, every Note owner I know has a Note instead of an iPhone in part because the SD card differentiated it. Every Note owner I know, tech enthusiast and regular Joe, has an SD card in their Note and are upset about that option not being available in the Note 5 and, like myself, are not upgrading to it but instead are looking for other options (including waiting another year to see if the Note 6 rights the wrongs of the 5).

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because, at least in my case, every Note owner I know has a Note instead of an iPhone in part because the SD card differentiated it. Every Note owner I know, tech enthusiast and regular Joe, has an SD card in their Note and are upset about that option not being available in the Note 5.

And then someone else can say that everyone they know with a Note doesn't bother putting in SD card in it or doesn't buy an extra battery...

Still - the sky is not falling.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Because, at least in my case, every Note owner I know has a Note instead of an iPhone in part because the SD card differentiated it. Every Note owner I know, tech enthusiast and regular Joe, has an SD card in their Note and are upset about that option not being available in the Note 5.

I get that, but I'm talking about what a few people here keep claiming. That if the note doesn't sell well it will be because of SD. How do you even make that connection (more like a leap)? There's not even anything out there to base that on.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I get that, but I'm talking about what a few people here keep claiming. That if the note doesn't sell well it will be because of SD. How do you even make that connection (more like a leap)? There's not even anything out there to base that on.

I see what you're saying. I think if it doesn't sell well (and I don't think it will), it will be for more than just one reason but the lack of SD card is one of them IMO.

1. High price when many lower priced and still highly capable devices are hitting the market.

2. Sealed battery making longevity in such a high priced device dubious.

3. The SD card issue of course.

4. Tha lack of IR blaster (basically what's seen as the stripping of features to go along with the higher price tag).

5. The fact that cell phones are so advanced and that the market is saturated will likely lower demand as many people don't see the need to upgrade as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power