I think Samsung is in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyman22

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
When your phone or tablet or computer runs out of storage space the files become more fragmented and are stored all over the place and takes more time to access the info. Your normal day to day functioning does not really need to access the memory card that often since the memory and internal storage are used for that. I would recommend just using the memory card to store your media and some of your large files and large apps. Everything else will run on the internal slightly quicker memory.

musique101

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Apple follows the KISS rule, even though they only make high-end devices. Samsung - and others - need to stick closer to the KISS rule. Go with vanilla Android. It just works. Cut the number of models and just simplify. And I don't mean a few phones. There needs to be a MASSIVE reduction in hardware and software.
Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Agreed with everything you said. As an average (& budget conscious) user, I like the option of having removable battery and SD card. One thing makes me wonder though..how slim people want their phones to be? My galaxy S5 is slim enough and very content. Surely don't want something that will crack in half in my pants pocket either! :)

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that Samsung is one of the biggest companies in the world, right? They (and LG) don't only make mobile devices.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but other than the fact that that means they may have additional sources of funding ( and only then if those other operations are profitable) what does that have to do with their mobile device business?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that Samsung is one of the biggest companies in the world, right? They (and LG) don't only make mobile devices.

I think LG and maybe Sony are the closest examples to Samsung.

HTC is mainly in mobile phones.
Motorola is all phones and accessories.

Samsung is not in trouble - say relative to Sony where there may be grumblings of stopping mobile efforts.

Samsung is not in trouble - say relative to HTC where it is now implied that their stock is currently worthless.

Samsung is nowhere close to the troubles of Nokia and Palm.

The sky is not falling.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
As a new owner of a Note 5, your post is quite the hyperbole. This is an amazing phone. Go to Best Buy and play with one.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Note 5.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung profit margins have been on the slide well before the s6/note 5 came out.

You might have liked the note 4,but Samsung profits from the note 4 didn't help the downward trend.

Really the issue is Samsung being squeezed at the top by Apple and at the bottom/mid by the lower specd devices from Huawei, xiaomi, lenovo.

Are some people not going to buy the s6/note 5 due to the lack of microSD slot and removable battery? Sure. Is the number anywhere as big as forums make it to be? Perhaps amongst vocal forum members, Sure. But in the general public, I don't think the percentage I'd very large. Samsung isn't stupid. They did market studies before making their choice.

View attachment 191331

Well..........based on that chart i'd say they are a little bit stupid. Sure, they were on the slide even with the Note 4 but I think that's why others stated that they need to consolidate their products. Galaxy Mega, Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S, Galaxy Insert Name Here needs to go. Just do the Note and the S line. Cut everything else except maybe one device that competes with the Moto G in small markets outside the large economies of the world. I know Samsung is smarter than me, and i'm not saying I am a business genius by any stretch. But I do think they've been pretty stupid ignoring their consumer. They've coasted ever since the S3.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When your phone or tablet or computer runs out of storage space the files become more fragmented and are stored all over the place and takes more time to access the info. Your normal day to day functioning does not really need to access the memory card that often since the memory and internal storage are used for that. I would recommend just using the memory card to store your media and some of your large files and large apps. Everything else will run on the internal slightly quicker memory.

That's how I use my SD card.

No slowdowns. Not once.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As a new owner of a Note 5, your post is quite the hyperbole. This is an amazing phone. Go to Best Buy and play with one.

What color is yours?

I'm going to try it soon.

Won't be replacing my G4 (I love it too much), but I do want to see how it's like.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Well..........based on that chart i'd say they are a little bit stupid. Sure, they were on the slide even with the Note 4 but I think that's why others stated that they need to consolidate their products. Galaxy Mega, Galaxy Alpha, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S, Galaxy Insert Name Here needs to go. Just do the Note and the S line. Cut everything else except maybe one device that competes with the Moto G in small markets outside the large economies of the world. I know Samsung is smarter than me, and i'm not saying I am a business genius by any stretch. But I do think they've been pretty stupid ignoring their consumer. They've coasted ever since the S3.

Well they've changed a lot this year to try to stop the slide. If people are buying less of your product you don't keep doing the same thing. They stopped coasting and created a new and awesome note.

corty34m

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. At first u may think oh whats a measley few less customers gonna do but look at HTC they used to be right on top with samsung and then they came out with that horrible ultra pixel camera 2 years in a row and the company is now in real trouble. It can happen to samsung, maybe not overnight but eventially.

corty34m

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung should of made the 299.99 entry model 64gb instead of 32gb and then had a 128gb model for 399.99. That way the price is not too high and memory is cheap enough to do. Everyone talks about the cloud but what if you are not on wifi then you cant access your music or pictures

corty34m

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
True,no manufacture does, but the smart ones will listen to what their customers are saying they want. You can do away with microsd and removeable batteries just make sure the builtin storage and battery are massive enough to compensate.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
The lack of SD card support and user replaceable batteries is not going to stop someone who wants the Note 5 from buying the Note 5.

Samsung is not in trouble.

It stopped me.

I don't see how you can even say that being that there is another thread on here that have users like me (have owned every Note phone including the Edge) saying that we will not buy the Note 5, that you even participated in.

Last edited:

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

I went to AT&T to see one. I wasn't impressed. To be honest, the only thing that was going to impress me was the ability to take notes on the screen while the phone is in sleep mode. Since the store models are in demo mode and the S Pen was removed, I couldn't test out that feature. I couldn't care less about how the phone looks. The weight was almost too light in my opinion, but it's not a big deal to me. I also couldn't care less about the camera or the glass back of the phone.

That said, if the Note 5 had a removable battery and a micro-SD card slot, I would have bought it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It stopped me.

I don't see how you can even say that being that there is another thread on here that have users like me (have owned every Note phone including the Edge) saying that we will not buy the Note 5, that you even participated in.

..which means you don't want the Note 5 so you're not buying the Note 5.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
..which means you don't want the Note 5 so you're not buying the Note 5.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Every time I see your signature I keep thinking about the 3000mah in the Moto X Pure and the 5.7" 1440p LCD is has to feed. Two weeks maybe to see if concern is warranted.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well they've changed a lot this year to try to stop the slide. If people are buying less of your product you don't keep doing the same thing. They stopped coasting and created a new and awesome note.

Except consensus from analysts is Samsung gained share when some Apple users got tired of small displays, but jumped pack when the 6 and 6+ were released. Those people that bailed went back and account for most of the marginal increase and subsequent decrease in growth. Samsung seems to be chasing a red herring by thinking it was their device.

Status
Not open for further replies.