I think Samsung is in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Every time I see your signature I keep thinking about the 3000mah in the Moto X Pure and the 5.7" 1440p LCD is has to feed. Two weeks maybe to see if concern is warranted.

Hm? What is the issue with it feeding that screen?

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
It stopped me.

I don't see how you can even say that being that there is another thread on here that have users like me (have owned every Note phone including the Edge) saying that we will not buy the Note 5, that you even participated in.

I didn't want to give in to Samsung. But there is no other phone that's as nice as the Note 5 and also has SD card slot and removable battery. Some people suggested the LG G4, but that phone has got a crappy screen, when compared next to the Note 4 and Note 5 screens.

Attachments

• Missing Cat Poster.jpg
    Missing Cat Poster.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I didn't want to give in to Samsung. But there is no other phone that's as nice as the Note 5 and also has SD card slot and removable battery. Some people suggested the LG G4, but that phone has got a crappy screen, when compared next to the Note 4 and Note 5 screens.

http://i.imgur.com/o4teFL7.jpg
Mind telling me why you think the G4's screen is crap?

Just asking. Curious, that's all

Last edited:

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
..which means you don't want the Note 5 so you're not buying the Note 5.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Then your comment that I quoted doesn't make any sense. I wanted Samsung's next iteration of the Note when I bought the Note Edge in 2014. The only things that stopped me were the lack of a removable battery or micro-SD card slot.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's latest financial reporting session showed disappointing sales of the S6, and they admitted they underestimated the demand for the S6 Edge. By the time they figured out the mistake and increased Edge shipments, it was too late...the buzz had worn off. I see more of the same for the Note/S6 Edge +, as it seems Samsung is not doing a good job of understanding what their consumers want.

I believe the root cause is a dramatic shift in Samsung's approach to phones and tablets. They want to be Apple 2.0, but have missed the bulk of the premium phone market already as most people who can afford the top of the line phones are seeing fewer reasons to upgrade every year for incremental feature enhancements. They have shifted the design of their top tier tablets to the same diminsions of iPads, but waited to do this until iPad sales had already started a large decline....again, too late to the premium game.

There used to be complaints about Samsung's cheap hardware design (plastic backs, etc), but the phones still sold well. I believe they did need to improve in the hardware design area, and this year's models are indeed beautiful. However, they dropped many of the features that were differentiators between them and Apple, like removeable batteries, SD cards, IR blasters, water proofing (for the S5 anyway), etc. So now they have fewer feature advantages, little to no price advantage, have alienated a significant portion of their core users, and are facing a rapidly increasing set of Android competitors that offer good or better quality phones often at much lower prices.

I hope I'm wrong. My last 3 phones have been the Note 4, Note 3, and S3. But as nice as the new phones look, things that matter to me are no longer available in the Samsung top tier. I'm gonna start looking at other vendors, and I'm guessing many others will as well.

What do you think?

You have a great point here... In the past a lot of people complained about the Galaxy line not being as premium as iPhone and even the HTC One's but they still sold very well. Why was that? There's always going to be a trade off between design and features. I think Samsung excelled before because of their features they had over their competitors... but now that they are aligning themselves this closely to their competitors with their features and design I'm not so sure this is going to increase sales for them.

I personally thought the Note 4 was awesome design with it's metal frame and sides and the great soft touch plastic back... I think it was the perfect compromise between design and features. I honestly thought they were going to go down the same design road with the S6 as they did with the Note 4... I think they would have been better off... and I think this would have better aliened themselves with the core market that they were getting good sales with before. And now time will only tell for the Note 5.

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Now that Samsung ditched the horrible plastic build - I am buying my very first Galaxy Note this morning. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing like it on the market right now. I'm trading in my S6 Edge, which just proved to be a little small for my tastes, and I want the pen. I've gotten hooked to having a pen for signing documents, and taking quick notes on my Surface Pro 3, but I don't always have that device on me - so this would be a good fit for me.

A removable battery is a non-issue for me because I have a battery pack that I have in my backpack for worst case scenarios (I can also charge my tablet, and my wife's iPhone on it). Coming from iPhones, I've never had an SD card before so cannot say I will miss it either, though I do think they could have made a provision to keep the SD card slot. Removable batteries add bulk to devices. I'm glad its gone.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Samsung itself isn't in any trouble. Their smartphone department might be stumbling a little bit to get a better grasp on the market, but all companies do that eventually. I think we'll see them get back on board within the next couple of years with no big loss to them.

Samsung as a hole has 450,000 plus people working for them. The have their hands in everything. They were the ones two built the two tallest towers in the world. Smartphone's is just a very tiny peace of their overall business. :)

anon395528

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I am not concerned at all. The phone business is the hot babe standing in the storefront.....Samsung corporate has so many other technology entities they can afford to go with the ebb and flow. HTC made a great phone but they are really just in the phone business. Microsoft failed (I bought the Nokia phablet...great phone, terrible app store) because they are a software house...that is it and they will never learn. Apple is cash rich so they can fail for years and no one would notice. This Note 5 is the best phone I have ever had....I really don't care about the removable battery now and the SD card issue. I trust the process and just use the tool.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Now that Samsung ditched the horrible plastic build - I am buying my very first Galaxy Note this morning. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing like it on the market right now. I'm trading in my S6 Edge, which just proved to be a little small for my tastes, and I want the pen. I've gotten hooked to having a pen for signing documents, and taking quick notes on my Surface Pro 3, but I don't always have that device on me - so this would be a good fit for me.

A removable battery is a non-issue for me because I have a battery pack that I have in my backpack for worst case scenarios (I can also charge my tablet, and my wife's iPhone on it). Coming from iPhones, I've never had an SD card before so cannot say I will miss it either, though I do think they could have made a provision to keep the SD card slot. Removable batteries add bulk to devices. I'm glad its gone.

Well have fun with that battery pack when after a year when that non-removable battery has lost as much as 33% of it's capacity. And what's even funner is the more often you use that battery pack the quicker that non-removable battery loses it's capacity, enjoy! But coming from iPhone you're I guess you're also used to this.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I like the look of the Note 5, but find it too slippery to use without a case and a case means back to some form of plastic ;) A harder case and this device will not have a happy conclusion if dropped.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It looked great, until I placed it next to the Note 4. I think I'm just way too used to how AMOLED screens look. :(

Same here. The G4 has a good screen though and looks a LOT better than the G3 (yikes). This is another reason concerned about the Moto X Pure, but as others say- Won't know until actually using it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Then your comment that I quoted doesn't make any sense. I wanted Samsung's next iteration of the Note when I bought the Note Edge in 2014. The only things that stopped me were the lack of a removable battery or micro-SD card slot.

Simply put - you don't like that the Note 5 lacks a feature or features you want thus you don't like the Note 5 and you won't buy the Note 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.