07-04-2018 06:34 PM
381 12345 ...
tools
    How is performance in poor signal areas compared with other phones?
    geekaren likes this.
    08-15-2015 06:45 PM
    Yeh, if Chelsea have to travel up to the City of Liverpool and kick off that early, they are going to be trounced by Everton. I'm going to make money that day.

I should get to sleep now.

08-15-2015 07:07 PM
    I noticed on last week's podcast someone mentioned that they left out the IR blaster for smart remote. I'm interested to find out why the opinion of your team seems to be that single missing features are no big deal. I think I remember hearing Russell at some point (not this podcast) stating that the missing NFC on the oneplus was no big deal, and then I believe that you stated in reference to the IR blaster that hardly anybody uses it. My thoughts are that when considering these "lesser used" features it seems that "x" number of people may be interested in this feature and "x" number of people may be interested in others. All segments of buyers that are interested in those individual features make up the sum of the buyers of a given device. In other words, people choose based on a few features that they are interested in using day to day. I've noticed that most people won't accept a poor camera experience. In my situation the convenience and security of a fingerprint scanner, combined with the option of a powerful payment system (like samsung pay with its no new hardware standpoint for merchants) and the convenience of a smart remote that can control your entire living room with a single application is hard to argue with. For me, the heart rate monitor is the stale hardware component. Maybe given the chatter about missing features lately warrants a poll on what features your readers would like to see combined in their next smartphone? Sorry for the long post, just an idea. Long time reader and love the site.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Baby_Doc likes this.
    08-15-2015 07:27 PM
    Will S pen features and other multitasking features work with Nova launcher prime?
    08-15-2015 07:53 PM
    Same camera sensor, lenses and features as the GS6 — which is to say low light is really good. The Note 4 itself still has a good camera, but the Note 5 is just a little better.
    Coming from the Note 3 so no frame of reference re: Note 4. My biggest complaint about the N3 camera was zoomed images were always terrible - really, really bad. Have you had a chance to take some zoomed shots and as that been fixed? TIA
    08-15-2015 07:58 PM
    Does it have the edge app by chance?

Nope. S6 edge and S6 edge+ only.

Not curved like the edge, I mean 2.5d instead of being flat toward the edges. It makes screen protector to not cover the whole display

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    The glass on the front curves very slightly on the edges to go into the metal on the edges.

How is performance in poor signal areas compared with other phones?
    Haven't tested in poor signal areas just yet. Samsung's usually pretty good on radios.

Yeh, if Chelsea have to travel up to the City of Liverpool and kick off that early, they are going to be trounced by Everton. I'm going to make money that day.

I should get to sleep now.
    Well, that's in Pacific Time... so it's an afternoon game in the UK

I noticed on last week's podcast someone mentioned that they left out the IR blaster for smart remote. I'm interested to find out why the opinion of your team seems to be that single missing features are no big deal. I think I remember hearing Russell at some point (not this podcast) stating that the missing NFC on the oneplus was no big deal, and then I believe that you stated in reference to the IR blaster that hardly anybody uses it. My thoughts are that when considering these "lesser used" features it seems that "x" number of people may be interested in this feature and "x" number of people may be interested in others. All segments of buyers that are interested in those individual features make up the sum of the buyers of a given device. In other words, people choose based on a few features that they are interested in using day to day. I've noticed that most people won't accept a poor camera experience. In my situation the convenience and security of a fingerprint scanner, combined with the option of a powerful payment system (like samsung pay with its no new hardware standpoint for merchants) and the convenience of a smart remote that can control your entire living room with a single application is hard to argue with. For me, the heart rate monitor is the stale hardware component. Maybe given the chatter about missing features lately warrants a poll on what features your readers would like to see combined in their next smartphone? Sorry for the long post, just an idea. Long time reader and love the site.

Not sure why they chose to remove the IR port, but I'm sure Samsung knows exactly how many people who have that in their phones aren't using it — and I'm pretty sure that's a very high % of people.

Will S pen features and other multitasking features work with Nova launcher prime?
    Yup. Replace the launcher and you keep the features.

Coming from the Note 3 so no frame of reference re: Note 4. My biggest complaint about the N3 camera was zoomed images were always terrible - really, really bad. Have you had a chance to take some zoomed shots and as that been fixed? TIA
    Digital zoom is pretty bad no matter what camera you're using. Of course there's OIS so there'll be less blurriness when zoomed in, and with 16MP you have a little room to zoom and keep a decent resolution. But you wouldn't ever want to zoom in more than 2X.
    08-15-2015 08:19 PM
    Yep. It is.
    08-15-2015 08:26 PM
    Can you pls work the GPS. Very interested how it tracks in various places. Does it locate you ok, does it track your position while moving.

thx
    08-15-2015 08:30 PM
    What about gaming on Note 4, whats your stand on some high end games with note 4?
    Also are there any kind of stutter or lag after intensive use on it?

08-15-2015 08:35 PM
    I only have one question.. Would you send the N5 to me? 😉

Good thread. I was sure I would go with the S6E+ then I saw some things about the N5 spen. I'm not 100% yet, but pretty confident I'm going with the N5.
    08-15-2015 08:51 PM
    Digital zoom is pretty bad no matter what camera you're using. Of course there's OIS so there'll be less blurriness when zoomed in, and with 16MP you have a little room to zoom and keep a decent resolution. But you wouldn't ever want to zoom in more than 2X.
    Thanks. Never had zoom issues before so the issues with the N3 were a real shock. Can't zoom at all without artifacts, color distortion, and blur. Bad, bad, bad. Thanks again, mate.
    08-15-2015 09:38 PM
    Is there a guest mode?
    08-15-2015 10:33 PM
    would it best for me to upgrade to the note 5 or the note 4? i understand you just go the phone, but i would really appreciate if i could get some good feedback to help influence my choice!
    Note 4 is laggy on Lollipop, plus the fingerprint scanner and battery life blows. Bought one last week after price drop, downloaded update, took it back. Just like the "Designed for Windows xx" stickers that come on PCs, the same applies for Android OS...no guarantees that an updated OS won't ruin your phone.
    08-16-2015 12:19 AM
    A bit late to the Q&A but hope you're still seeing this. How are the manual controls in the Pro mode in the camera? I know you mentioned shutter speed, but can you also adjust exposure time like the G4? If so, what's the max capture time? Does the slow motion mode still suck resolutionwise? Or do those look better now?

Thanks!

space6333 likes this.
    08-16-2015 12:22 AM
    Note 4 is laggy on Lollipop, plus the fingerprint scanner and battery life blows. Bought one last week after price drop, downloaded update, took it back. Just like the "Designed for Windows xx" stickers that come on PCs, the same applies for Android OS...no guarantees that an updated OS won't ruin your phone.
    Or that it happens to every phone... My Note 4 is as snappy and long-lasting as it was before the update. Yeah, there are some laggy operations here and there, but most were there before the update anyway. I did hate the new notifications on Lollipoop though, but that's Android's fault.

08-16-2015 12:25 AM
    Or that it happens to every phone... My Note 4 is as snappy and long-lasting as it was before the update. Yeah, there are some laggy operations here and there, but most were there before the update anyway. I did hate the new notifications on Lollipoop though, but that's Android's fault.

Interesting. I was giving the original Note 4 the benefit of the doubt. Hope my Note 5 is as snappy as what I've seen in the videos.
    08-16-2015 12:34 AM
    Do you miss the faux leather back?
    08-16-2015 01:28 AM
    Andrew,
    I have S6 Edge now, and I know you've been using it too.
    if you had to pick between the regular S6 Edge and Note 5 , which would you use as a daily driver?

I'm liking the smaller screen on the S6 Edge, but man the Note 5 looks great. it's only .6" right? ;p

I went to Best buy today and played with the edge plus and Note 5. walked away, thinking maybe Note 5.
    For the Edge, I think i'd just stay smaller.
    08-16-2015 02:30 AM
    How much of the 4gb ram do you have avilable after you boot up? I know on the note 4 after you have several apps installed you average maybe 700 mb so hoping this one would have at least 1.7 gb free on average. Also do you have the 32 or 64gb version and how much storage is available out of the box?
    08-16-2015 03:14 AM
    Andrew,

Any word on an international version of the Note 5? I'm specifically trying to find one that will work both in the US (on either T-Mobile or AT&T) and South Korea.

08-16-2015 05:11 AM
    How much of the 4gb ram do you have avilable after you boot up? I know on the note 4 after you have several apps installed you average maybe 700 mb so hoping this one would have at least 1.7 gb free on average. Also do you have the 32 or 64gb version and how much storage is available out of the box?
    I read that when it boots up, about half the RAM is gone. Seems the spen uses a lot of RAM.
    08-16-2015 05:58 AM
    I currently have a 10 month old galaxy s5, it's battery life is subpar to say the least, it's screen is cracked, etc. Will the price cuts on the note 4 make it worth it paying my phone off and upgrading to an unlocked note 4, or should I go for the note 5?

08-16-2015 07:30 AM
    In that case, I would be curious to know between the Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ soes the Edge+ have more available ram after booting up compared to the Note 5?
    08-16-2015 08:04 AM
    Andrew, how easy and consistent is the S pen writing with the screen off? It it quick (can you take the pen out an write immediately?), does it work reliably every time?
    08-16-2015 09:10 AM
    In that case, I would be curious to know between the Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ soes the Edge+ have more available ram after booting up compared to the Note 5?
    Available RAM is a meaningless stat on a modern android device. You want it to be nearly full. It keep options, features and programs in a ready to go state that is far faster than loading them every time you need them (thus the reason the s-pen eats up so much, because then it is nearly instant to use)

More of than not this reduces lag. Once in a while it causes lag. Just depends on how you use your device.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:18 AM
381 12345 ...