I have a Galaxy Note 5 — ask me about it!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
note-5.jpg

We're tight on the heels of the Galaxy Note 5 announcement, and that means we have one in our hands and we're ready to answer your questions!

A few things to remember:

• I have only had the phone since Friday (8/15) so won't have many long-term impressions just yet
  • I have an Eastern European model, so I can't comment on carrier features
  • I'm running the phone on T-Mobile currently

So go on, ask away! I'll try to keep up with the thread best I can.

Also note that I have a separate thread for the Galaxy S6 edge+. You can find that right here.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you feeling the heat off the phone when multi-tasking?

How is the sound from the front-speaker? Is it louder than the Note 3's, or a previous Note? I have the Note 3, but man that volume can be at 100%, and it's still low for me. I have to use my BlackBerry Passport to listen to Spotify when I shower.

Is it slippery in your hand holding it one handed? This might not be a fair question as I don't know how tall or short you are. I only want a case if the phone feels like it could slip out of my hand.

I'm getting mine on Monday via mail carrier. After I finish up here at Mazda, I'm going to go to Best Buy to see it,

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How is the camera, compared to the s6?
Does the double click home button to open camera from any screen work like in the s6?

Have you had a chance to try the fast wireless charging? If so, is it as fast as they claim? Does the phone get hot?

bwlmog

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have two questions. Firstly, how are you using a Eastern European version when its not intended for release in Europe (seems unusual that they developed a phone for a market that they aren't selling to). Secondly, how could I get that model (I'm based in the UK).

Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoy the phone.

Danpatcook

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I am rocking the S6 Edge now after dropping the Note 4 because of the overall size. What is your feeling between the S6 Edge VS. The Note 5? Is it too big? Are the new S Pen features worth the upgrade when comparing to the Note 4? Too early to tell, but, battery life? I have to charge the S6 Edge at least once thru the day to run all day. Weekends are tough... Weekdays, I am at my desk, so charging is easy. Traveling for work is hard when I am in a big city.... No rental car to steal power. Sorry for the ramble. Is the Note 5 worth it? BTW, I am on T-Mobile Jump....

Posted via the Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Can you compare the screen to a Note 4. Is it the same.
OK in direct sunlight.

Does it feel grippy and confident to hold naked (the phone).

Could the edges hurt smaller fingers.
(memories of a Spigen Neo Hybrid for Note 3)

Link169

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
would it best for me to upgrade to the note 5 or the note 4? i understand you just go the phone, but i would really appreciate if i could get some good feedback to help influence my choice!

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Biggest question--how does it feel in hand? with or without case?
I had a note 4 but opted to go back to LG G3 because of the size--I could not do anything with the phone with 1 hand--the fingerprint sensor is a total bummer when you need two hands to unlock the screen.

And if you are in seattle where can I came to look at the phone in person! meeting you someplace on pike street would be convenient!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I got to play with a note 5 early this month before they were announced, something no one has mentioned yet on any website is the camera finally gives full manual controls including shutter speed.

My primary concern is battery life, is it any better or worse than previous notes? I typically got 2 days usage out of my Note 3 and 4.

Paradroid01

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
The Note 4 offers lots of options for one hand operation like shrinking the screen size by sliding in and out, side panel, assistant menu etc. What about the Note 5? Has anything changed for the better? Heard that you have to click the home button "three times" now in order to shrink the window screen size?!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you the double click is there, and the camera appears to be the same but with more software features including manual shutter speed.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you feeling the heat off the phone when multi-tasking?

Phone gets a little warm, but so does every other phone. You feel the heat up top near the camera.

How is the sound from the front-speaker? Is it louder than the Note 3's, or a previous Note? I have the Note 3, but man that volume can be at 100%, and it's still low for me. I have to use my BlackBerry Passport to listen to Spotify when I shower.

There's no front speaker... just one loudspeaker at the bottom, just like the GS6. Sound seems the same as the GS6 — not loud enough to listen to a podcast when set on the counter and I'm in the shower (my usual test of loudness).

Is it slippery in your hand holding it one handed? This might not be a fair question as I don't know how tall or short you are. I only want a case if the phone feels like it could slip out of my hand.

I greatly prefer a smaller phone (despite having relatively large hands), but I can already tell the Note 5 is easier to hold and manipulate than the Note 4. Much easier than the Nexus 6 also. The curved glass on the back really helps.

It's still quite tough to reach up to the top of the phone when only holding in one hand, though. And just like the GS6 the glass can get a little slick if its humid and/or your hands are sweaty. Just not a lot to grip onto.

How is the camera, compared to the s6?

Exact same sensor as the GS6, so great!

Does the double click home button to open camera from any screen work like in the s6?

Yep, it does. Camera interface is nearly identical also. Just a couple different setting button locations.

The "Pro" mode also now offers RAW capture and manual shutter speed controls.

Have you had a chance to try the fast wireless charging? If so, is it as fast as they claim? Does the phone get hot?

Have not... Samsung didn't send any accessories with these phones. I'm going to give it a shot with a few of my current wireless chargers, hooked up to a quick charge wall plug — will see how that goes.

Andrew.. How long have you used it? Full charge to drain? screen on time? Total battery time

Read the OP — only had the phone 24 hours, not even going anywhere near talking about battery until a few more days' use.

Hi, I have two questions. Firstly, how are you using a Eastern European version when its not intended for release in Europe (seems unusual that they developed a phone for a market that they aren't selling to). Secondly, how could I get that model (I'm based in the UK).

Models can cover and be sold in different regions. This one's intended for Eastern Europe and the Middle East, I believe.

This one was provided by Samsung as a review unit — I'm sure there are plenty of phone importers that will be selling them soon.

What size is the sim? Micro or nano?

Nano

I am rocking the S6 Edge now after dropping the Note 4 because of the overall size. What is your feeling between the S6 Edge VS. The Note 5? Is it too big? Are the new S Pen features worth the upgrade when comparing to the Note 4? Too early to tell, but, battery life? I have to charge the S6 Edge at least once thru the day to run all day. Weekends are tough... Weekdays, I am at my desk, so charging is easy. Traveling for work is hard when I am in a big city.... No rental car to steal power. Sorry for the ramble. Is the Note 5 worth it? BTW, I am on T-Mobile Jump....

If you weren't happy with the Note 4's overall size, the Note 5 will still be a tough sell. It's smaller, and a bit easier to hold, but it's still a really big phone. The S6 edge, even with its sharp edges, is still easier to hold than the Note 5.

Not enough time with it to comment on battery life.

The S Pen is nice, and if that's your thing and you'll use it regularly, yeah the upgrades are probably worth it over the Note 4. The hardware is basically the same, but there's reduced latency and redesigned Air Command, along with some new functionality. Now, we're not sure if those features will come back to the Note 4 either...

Can you compare the screen to a Note 4. Is it the same.
OK in direct sunlight.

Screen is comparable, but maybe just barely brighter and has a little better viewing angles. But of course those kinds of things can vary phone-by-phone as not every screen is the exact same when it rolls off the line. I'm still very happy with the Note 4's screen quality, even today.

Direct sunlight is the same story — if you leave the phone in auto brightness, it'll boost the brightness when it's in direct sun.

Does it feel grippy and confident to hold naked (the phone).

Not exactly "grippy" since you're mostly holding onto glass and smooth metal — but it's not too hard to wrap your fingers around.

Could the edges hurt smaller fingers.

Don't see how it could, there aren't any sharp edges around.

would it best for me to upgrade to the note 5 or the note 4? i understand you just go the phone, but i would really appreciate if i could get some good feedback to help influence my choice!

Coming from what phone? The Note 4 is still a solid device, and is obviously going to be much cheaper than buying a brand new Note 5 at this point. All depends on how much you want the new design and S Pen features.

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Biggest question--how does it feel in hand? with or without case?
I had a note 4 but opted to go back to LG G3 because of the size--I could not do anything with the phone with 1 hand--the fingerprint sensor is a total bummer when you need two hands to unlock the screen.

Feels pretty good, I'm a big fan of the curved glass on the back. Easier to juggle in one hand, but still a little awkward for some things — remember it's still a 5.7-inch phone.

The fingerprint sensor no longer requires a swipe, just a press, so that's simple to do with one hand as well.

And if you are in seattle where can I came to look at the phone in person! meeting you someplace on pike street would be convenient!

If you see me walking around, say hi!

The Note 4 offers lots of options for one hand operation like shrinking the screen size by sliding in and out, side panel, assistant menu etc. What about the Note 5? Has anything changed for the better? Heard that you have to click the home button "three times" now in order to shrink the window screen size?!

You can enable a mode where you click the home button three times, and it shrinks the screen down to the bottom-right corner — you can then chose to move that over to the bottom-left if you want. Honestly I don't find it that useful — it shrinks everything, including the keyboard, so it makes input really tough. I far prefer the iOS method of just pulling down the top of the screen, not shrinking in the sides as well.

Screenshot_2015-08-15-10-44-13.jpgScreenshot_2015-08-15-10-44-07.jpg

You can also enable a "one-handed input" setting that pulls things like the dialer keypad, in-call buttons, samsung's keyboard and unlock pattern down and over to the side — again, a little awkward.

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you go through steps for full screen capture. For example to screen capture an entire article ..if no one has asked this yet. Thank you

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.
Can you post (at your leisure) screenshots of the Galaxy and Samsung apps (*folder icons) , and the Device and Pen Settings pages - as I can only visually gorge from a distance in the UK.