I have a Galaxy Note 5 — ask me about it!

Jorgejacs

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, is the themes feature from the Galaxy S6 still available? Have you tried the material theme? I'm coming froma Nexus6 and this is one of the concerns I haven't seen other people talk about.

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell a difference in scrolling smoothness between the note 4 and 5? And does there seem to be the lag in opening recent apps that the note 4 suffers from? Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Can you go through steps for full screen capture. For example to screen capture an entire article ..if no one has asked this yet. Thank you

You just take out the S Pen, launch Air Command, and select the "Screen write" option — that captures the screen and lets you write on it. You can select a "scroll" option to then scroll and stitch it into one big screenshot. You can then annotate it, or just save it to your Gallery. Pretty simple, once you know where to look for it.

Screenshot_2015-08-15-11-08-54.jpg

How's the battery life?

Does it match the Note 4?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ only used it for 24 hours.

Thanks.
Can you post (at your leisure) screenshots of the Galaxy and Samsung apps (*folder icons) , and the Device and Pen Settings pages - as I can only visually gorge from a distance in the UK.

The galaxy apps are all the same... just some different icons. Here's your S Pen settings:

Screenshot_2015-08-15-11-11-41.jpg

Pretty standard stuff.

Hi, is the themes feature from the Galaxy S6 still available? Have you tried the material theme? I'm coming froma Nexus6 and this is one of the concerns I haven't seen other people talk about.

Themes are here, work the same as the GS6.

Can you tell a difference in scrolling smoothness between the note 4 and 5? And does there seem to be the lag in opening recent apps that the note 4 suffers from? Thanks.

Note 5 seems pretty dang smooth in scrolling.

And no, there's no lag in opening multitasking or the camera — this was destroyed with the GS6, and the Note 5 is also quick (makes sense, same internals and software).

Paradroid01

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
You can enable a mode where you click the home button three times, and it shrinks the screen down to the bottom-right corner — you can then chose to move that over to the bottom-left if you want. Honestly I don't find it that useful — it shrinks everything, including the keyboard, so it makes input really tough. I far prefer the iOS method of just pulling down the top of the screen, not shrinking in the sides as well.

Thanks for your reply. I find shrinking down the window screen size incredibly useful on the Note 4! I use this gesture (slide in and out on the Note 4) all of the time in order to reach every part of the screen with my thumb. But: clicking the home button three times in order to shrink the screen size - like you have to do on the Note 5 - would kill the button in a pretty short period of time, I guess. Don't like it!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I find shrinking down the window screen size incredibly useful on the Note 4! I use this gesture (slide in and out on the Note 4) all of the time in order to reach every part of the screen with my thumb. But: clicking the home button three times in order to shrink the screen size - like you have to do on the Note 5 - would kill the button in a pretty short period of time, I guess. Don't like it!

There are usability issues here, for sure... but don't worry about the button failing. I can guarantee these buttons are tested to work for several times more presses than you'd ever press it in normal use throughout years of having the phone.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The long screenshot thing is not how they implied in the prezzie.

I gathered a 3 page long list of map directions could be captured with one click, without having to scroll down yourself.

It could be because I'm feeling sore about the UK allocation of 0. :)

fee dee cat

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
One last question.,.. Can u demonstrate instructions for dual screens...having two apps or screens open side by side. I hvnt had a note before and seriously thinking of getting this one. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have never used any Galaxy note before. I'm not a big fan of touch wiz. I use Google now custom launcher. Will all the functionalities of SPen, multi window, etc.. will work with custom launchers? Writing on the phone using SPen when phone is locked works even if using custom lock screens?

codiusprime

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The ram management on the S6 is a joke, I know, I use one every day. Does it seem like Samsung has addressed this issue at all with the Note 5? Have they brute forced it with the extra gig of ram? It really sucks to have to reload every application almost every time I move away from it.

codiusprime

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it's almost exactly the same as the S6, which has some pretty fantastic low light capabilities. Some of the best around.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
One last question.,.. Can u demonstrate instructions for dual screens...having two apps or screens open side by side. I hvnt had a note before and seriously thinking of getting this one. Thanks

You just hit the multitasking key, then press the multi-window button at the top of an available app. You then press another recent app.

Screenshot_2015-08-15-12-20-48.jpgScreenshot_2015-08-15-12-21-15.jpg

I have never used any Galaxy note before. I'm not a big fan of touch wiz. I use Google now custom launcher. Will all the functionalities of SPen, multi window, etc.. will work with custom launchers? Writing on the phone using SPen when phone is locked works even if using custom lock screens?

Yup you can use S Pen and Multi Window with Google Now Launcher.

The ram management on the S6 is a joke, I know, I use one every day. Does it seem like Samsung has addressed this issue at all with the Note 5? Have they brute forced it with the extra gig of ram? It really sucks to have to reload every application almost every time I move away from it.

I honestly never really had an issue with RAM management on the GS6 — phone worked fine. I'd assume the Note 5 is the same. I haven't noticed anything weird yet.

What about GPS on the Note 5? Some variants of the Note 4 had some issues with signal reception.

My Note 4 GPS has worked fine. Note 5 seems to locate me easily as well. Gotta remember that there's often more to "GPS" than just the actual GPS chip — most of location services is mobile networks and Wifi networks, not just the regular GPS chip.

What about lags? Multitasking button? Switching from cam to the gallery? Everything smooth?

Edit: Oops, already answered. I'm sorry!

:)

How's the camera in low light? I saw sample pics at the Best Buy one, but from real life experience How does it par to other Note devices?

Same camera sensor, lenses and features as the GS6 — which is to say low light is really good. The Note 4 itself still has a good camera, but the Note 5 is just a little better.

Last edited:

Paradroid01

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
My Note 4 GPS has worked fine. Note 5 seems to locate me easily as well. Gotta remember that there's often more to "GPS" than just the actual GPS chip — most of location services is mobile networks and Wifi networks, not just the regular GPS chip.

Thank you once again. Well, my Note 4 can't locate me indoors at all, whereas my old Galaxy Ace 2 does its job in a blink of an eye. So something must be wrong with it, I guess.

magnum mike

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
so how does it do on gaming? I had a iPhone 6 plus and games on it were lagging. after breaking the phone I went back to my current phone galaxy s5 which seems to do much better than the iPhone. however the iPhone supposedly has better specs. just wondering because the note 5 has killer specs.I pre ordered my note 5 yesterday and it should be here on Tuesday

codiusprime

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess I do more multi tasking, seems my GS6 is always having to load applications that should still be in memory given the three gigs of ram the phone has. This is a pretty talked about issue I feel.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So did we cover the available storage vs the OS

and.... (to me it's a little silly but someone will want to ask):

Ram now v out of the box or boot up.

(actually never mind either. I'm good.)

Last edited: