08-22-2015 09:01 AM
47 12
tools
    Currently have the iPhone 6, looking to get back to the Note series with the 5. One thing I've really come to love is Touch ID. How does Samsung compare?
    08-15-2015 08:16 PM
    It works the same way, just touch and unlock
    I've heard people say the Note 5 fingerprint unlock is faster than the Galaxy S6 unlock, which is a good thing I guess
    SCD23x and Saurav Sinha2 like this.
    08-15-2015 08:19 PM
    It works the same way, just touch and unlock
    I've heard people say the Note 5 fingerprint unlock is faster than the Galaxy S6 unlock, which is a good thing I guess
    My S6 unlocks on par with my mothers iPhone 6. Super fast and accurate. I guess I need to go see the Note 5!

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB - AT&T
    Speck Candyshell
    ZAGG Tempered Glass
    SCD23x likes this.
    08-15-2015 08:38 PM
    I haven't used Apple, but the S6 fingerprint scanner is superior to the N4 and the N5 scanner is that type.. Placing your finger on the scanner and not swiping it.
    08-15-2015 08:40 PM
    Currently have the iPhone 6, looking to get back to the Note series with the 5. One thing I've really come to love is Touch ID. How does Samsung compare?
    Compares great. The note 4 fingerprint scanner was terrible. The note 5 works as well as the iPhone 6 plus I had. Hardly ever fails.
    SCD23x and rsgoldens like this.
    08-15-2015 08:41 PM
    I just wanted to use the fingerprint scanner for unlocking, and the note4 was still quirky. Its good to hear that has been improved. Im really considering the note5 despite the things i don't like. So far a couple of threads have said the battery is on par with the note4, which was my main concern, but the fingerprint scanner being better is a plus too.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-15-2015 08:48 PM
    Oh yeah. It made me so mad. I had to turn it off on the note 4.
    08-15-2015 08:50 PM
    The Note 4 was horrid for me -- I turned it off with the quickness.

The S6 one was okay. It wasn't as good as my iPhone 6+ one but it was pretty close. I used it and kept it on while I had the S6.
    anon(27512) and SCD23x like this.
    08-15-2015 11:26 PM
    The Note 4 was horrid for me -- I turned it off with the quickness.

The S6 one was okay. It wasn't as good as my iPhone 6+ one but it was pretty close. I used it and kept it on while I had the S6.
    Good comparison. I like touch ID for unlocking and signing into apps/payment purposes. When implemented properly it's more than a gimmick, and I've grown to enjoy the convenience. Interested in finding out the improvements of the fingerprint scanner on the Note 5.
    08-15-2015 11:32 PM
    I have both the S6 and iPhone 6 Plus and I would say the fingerprint scanners are comparable. This generation of Samsung scanners are definitely better than the ones where you had to swipe. Touch ID has robust 3rd party support though, which Samsung lacks. Android M may alleviate that, but it'll be some time before these devices get it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    08-15-2015 11:38 PM
    I miss Touch ID from Apple. I have the Note Edge and the fingerprint scanner is a pain, especially if you have small fingers. I'm hoping when I get back to civilization to snag one of the new phones to play with.
    08-15-2015 11:49 PM
    Apple was better than the s6, but s6 was still pretty good. I had to get used to doing it horizontally for it to work well on the s6
    Ry and SCD23x like this.
    08-16-2015 12:24 AM
    I have both the Note 5 and 6+, to me they are about equal. Better than the s6. I just touch and it unlocks. Every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    debdroid1a, SCD23x and ladyc0524 like this.
    08-16-2015 12:50 AM
    Samsung is slower and less accurate than iPhone but it is far and away better than the note 4 or s5's reader. It's pretty good.

vamp07 and SCD23x like this.
    08-16-2015 05:25 AM
    Samsung is slower and less accurate than iPhone but it is far and away better than the note 4 or s5's reader. It's pretty good.

Do you have the Note 5?
    08-16-2015 08:25 AM
    I have the S6 and the iPhone 6 Plus and the S6 fingerprint scanner is not as reliable. However, it is light years better than any of Samsungs previous efforts. I'd say it registers 8/10 times, while the iPhone is 10/10. I got much better results with the S6 when I recorded my thumb as two different fingers using different angles.
    08-16-2015 02:18 PM
    Fingerprint scanner is only as good as how you program it to read your selected finger/s.

You have to make sure you scan ever inch of your thumb, at every scan move it a few mm to the left and then right. Mine works flawlessly unless I've got a sweaty thumb from the gym and then I just have to wipe the sensor.

If you make a lazy attempt during the programming part then its not going to work and you have yourself to blame.

08-16-2015 04:58 PM
    Fingerprint scanner is only as good as how you program it to read your selected finger/s.

You have to make sure you scan ever inch of your thumb, at every scan move it a few mm to the left and then right. Mine works flawlessly unless I've got a sweaty thumb from the gym and then I just have to wipe the sensor.

If you make a lazy attempt during the programming part then its not going to work and you have yourself to blame.

Yes and no. There is no question that some previous scanning devices were absolute garbage not fit for inclusion onto a high-end phone. Apple and Samsung both have their strengths and weaknesses- but Apple got it right the first time with Touch ID.
    08-16-2015 05:51 PM
    I have zero problems with my Note 4 fingerprint scanner. It's fast and works every time. One thing I notice is that if you register your prints without a case on, then put a case on, you need to re-register. When ever I change cases, I re-register. Works for me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. My Note 4 fingerprint scanner works comparable to my daughter's iPhone. Both work fine.
    ClintRo and SCD23x like this.
    08-16-2015 06:07 PM
    I have the S6 and the iPhone 6 Plus and the S6 fingerprint scanner is not as reliable. However, it is light years better than any of Samsungs previous efforts. I'd say it registers 8/10 times, while the iPhone is 10/10. I got much better results with the S6 when I recorded my thumb as two different fingers using different angles.
    My N4 is pretty accurate, I don't like having to swipe it. My S6 Edge hasn't missed yet.
    08-16-2015 06:56 PM
    S6 worked flawlessy! Maybe even better then the iPhone 6, it hasn't missed once
    08-16-2015 08:28 PM
    S6 is close but touch id on iPhone still better. But for regular use both are great, hopefully the software is more refined in Note 5 and the scanner is more accurate than S6. If you are coming from Note 4 then this will be great leap since the Note 4 and previous gen swipe fingerprints were garbage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    08-16-2015 08:43 PM

+1 on this. I think people get so wound up on this that they forget the iPhone's and galaxy's are simply exactly the same. I see it all the time with friends and family members. On the iPhone you have to register the while index of your finger on former phones like the s6 although the scanner is in the home button you truly don't have user your hold index. You can just keep picking your finger up and place it back down until complete. Sometimes we have to realize that everything that happens isn't a direct affect on the manufacturer itself but a user error on our part.
    08-17-2015 02:37 AM
    Yes and no. There is no question that some previous scanning devices were absolute garbage not fit for inclusion onto a high-end phone. Apple and Samsung both have their strengths and weaknesses- but Apple got it right the first time with Touch ID.
    Sorry should have mentioned that i was just talking about the S6, never had the S5 but from hearing about it, it wasnt the best fingerprint scanner to be created.

Samsung took a couple of goes but its now perfect if you spend the time programming it correctly.
    08-17-2015 05:20 AM
    The note 5 performs similarly to the S6 in my time with it, and i did a comparison with the iphone 5S back when the S6 first launched. They are very similar in performance, but i will give the edge to the iphone 5s for being more consistent, and generally better at recognising my finger at different angles.

It might be down to the way the button was designed though. Samsung's button is slightly raised, and a rounded rectangular shape, which means sometimes you can press the home button without the finger resting over the home button entirely. But for apple, the home button is sunken in a little and round. So whenever you are pressing the button, your finger is most likely covering the entire sensor.

08-17-2015 05:58 AM
47 12