Will Samsung sell an unlocked version of the Galaxy Note 5 for US consumers?

Syrdiman

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed pre-orders have been giving us the option to buy it straight from the carriers, but I haven't seen any Unlocked ones. Also, do you guys think the Note 5 will be sold by Amazon anytime soon?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

I've noticed pre-orders have been giving us the option to buy it straight from the carriers, but I haven't seen any Unlocked ones. Also, do you guys think the Note 5 will be sold by Amazon anytime soon?
No unfortunately they don't offer unbranded/unlocked versions directly for sale from their website which is crazy.

Only option you have is to import the international model from 3rd party sellers on Amazon, eBay etc or other websites. Problem is they will be over charging than what it actually costs and then there is warranty headaches etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

So do you mean I have to be bound to a contract in order to buy this phone?
You have to buy it directly from a carrier, you can pay the off contract or full retail price but it won't be sim unlocked and will be carrier branded phone meaning carrier crap, logo on verizon/AT&T.

Second thing sometimes it's hard to buy even full retail from carriers without an account with them. You may have to try multiple places to have one sell to you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

You have to buy it directly from a carrier, you can pay the off contract or full retail price but it won't be sim unlocked and will be carrier branded phone meaning carrier crap, logo on verizon/AT&T.

Second thing sometimes it's hard to buy even full retail from carriers without an account with them. You may have to try multiple places to have one sell to you.

The Verizon version will be factory sim unlocked. It will be carrier branded.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

The Verizon version will be factory sim unlocked. It will be carrier branded.
Rather not have a phone than seeing that ugly Verizon logo and their bloat. Don't support useless carriers who give a [language removed] about devices and customers. All carriers are like that but Verizon, AT&T are the worst in that order.

Last edited by a moderator:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No you can buy it on a device payment plan, or pay full retail if you want

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

Sprint is doing away with contacts (as we know them) by the end of 2015, T-Mobile doesn't have them and as of last week neither does Verizon. AT&T is the last of the big 4 that still has them, but I suspect they'll do away with them sooner than later.

You can pay full retail, or go on a payment plan for the phone for (you guessed it) 2 years, so even though it's structured differently, it's pretty much the same thing as far as being tied into a contract and paying a similar price.

The big difference are ETFs (early termination fees). No longer will you be able to exercise them so you'll pay for the full price of the phone no matter what.

On VZ and AT&T there will still be carrier branding, and you'll still get Samsung's bloatware, along with the carrier's when you activate your SIM on their network.

Personally, in addition to TouchWiz, that bloatware is one of the major reasons why I choose not to continue owning a Samsung device. If they offered an unlocked version with no bloatware, I'd probably still opt for a different phone because of TW and price, but it would be more of a consideration.

tallassPilipino

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
never checked Amazon, but i ordered my 64GB Note 5 (SM-N920i) international factory-unlocked version from a seller in Singapore a couple of days ago for well under $900. this seller had stock in both Missouri and in Singapore. there was a US seller from Houston selling them as well for a little bit more. the rest of the sellers were the usual crazy marked up prices while others were starting bidding wars. the dual-SIM version seemed to be selling quick. i would have gone for one, but they were only available in the 32GB version.

Le0_Br4zUc4

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon variant is unlocked, do you can use on different carriers. My brother has T-mobile and he tried my phone out with his Sim card. It made phone calls but I didn't try data or anything else.

The issue with Verizon is all the Verizon crap and lack of Samsung Pay

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon variant is unlocked, do you can use on different carriers. My brother has T-mobile and he tried my phone out with his Sim card. It made phone calls but I didn't try data or anything else.

And that ugly Verizon logo which is an absolute eye sore !!!

tallassPilipino

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site

i read earlier some pricing comparisons between 24 month payments/leasing vs unlocked versions of the phone with all 4 of the major carriers. my understanding of how the author kept referring to "unlocked" is the unlocked version only means not locked into a contract as you are buying the phone at full cost. but they are still locked to their respective carriers. but of course certain shared bands would work while those bands that aren't, won't.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk)

ssbuechl

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
No, Samsung is in bed with the major Carriers. Buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple and use a discount carrier like Ting Mobile or Cricket Wireless. I use an iPhone 6 Plus and pay $35 per month. This savings has already paid for my iPhone.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Re:

No unfortunately they don't offer unbranded/unlocked versions directly for sale from their website which is crazy.

Only option you have is to import the international model from 3rd party sellers on Amazon, eBay etc or other websites. Problem is they will be over charging than what it actually costs and then there is warranty headaches etc.

Gonna have to disagree I purchased my note 5 gold platinum 32gb for 739.00 unlocked that's way cheaper than best buy att T-Mobile. This is on eBay and expansys USA has them for 779.00 USD so you can get them for the same or less. If you don't believe me go to eBay and look for the seller neverpaymsrp that guy has 100 percent feedback and has them way less than the carrier or any other outlet brand new IJS.... Mine will be here Tuesday it had free fedex second day same as carriers these are USA prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Gonna have to disagree I purchased my note 5 gold platinum 32gb for 739.00 unlocked that's way cheaper than best buy att T-Mobile. This is on eBay and expansys USA has them for 779.00 USD so you can get them for the same or less. If you don't believe me go to eBay and look for the seller neverpaymsrp that guy has 100 percent feedback and has them way less than the carrier or any other outlet brand new IJS.... Mine will be here Tuesday it had free fedex second day same as carriers these are USA prices.

Yeah I had bought the G4 international unbranded version from nevermsrp on eBay so I believe you. Will take a look at if he is selling the 64 GB version.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Bloat is minimal on these phones I have no carrier stamp on my phone, the carrier will show on the notification panel.

The only phones I know that Samsung US sells directly to consumers is the Verizon Developer model.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I bought a 64 gb from T-mobile for $779.99. The 32 gb is $699.99.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae