I am getting my Note 5 from Best Buy on Friday and getting a wireless charger which I've never used before. My question is can you use a case with wireless charging and if so do you have to be careful of what kind of case you buy?

Posted via Android Central App
    08-16-2015 07:36 AM
    You can use a case. I have been using a Qi coil on my note 3 through a silicone case pretty much since I got the phone.

The key is how thick the case is. In most cases even old wireless tech can reach through a 1-2 centimeters of material. New tech has been created to extend that to a few inches but I am not sure if it is implemented.

I would suggest you get a few wireless chargers and strategically place them so you can allow small maintenance charge cycles instead of trying to charge from really low to full.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2015 07:54 AM
    I have read that cases like the mophie battery case will not work.
    08-16-2015 08:23 AM
    I think that is a material issue. I can see why a think battery case wouldn't work. But with a few wireless chargers you should never need such capacity. The whole ides with wireless charging is that you just put your phone down and it is always charging. So in cases were a thick battery case is used you probably wouldn't want to use wireless charging.

Also would wireles charging even make sense as you probably should charge through the battery case anyways.

08-16-2015 08:51 AM
    I just want to use it as an overnight charger and not primary source of charging.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-16-2015 09:07 AM
    I have so many cases on many old phones. Every one of them has worked fine with Qi chargers. You should be fine.
    08-16-2015 09:14 AM
    That is what I do with my tylt vue charger. But I think it would be very easy to put a charger on my work desk so I could just set it down and keep it charged throughout the day. Basically the situation would be I am either actively using it, or letting wireless charging keep it close to 100%.

Basically the idea and just to top it off at certain places so I always start at 100 when away. A few well placed qi chargers could do that.

anon395528 likes this.
    08-16-2015 11:18 AM
    The tylt charger is awesome, works great and no sliding around to find the sweet spot, just drop on and its charging.
    anon395528 likes this.
    08-16-2015 11:33 AM
    The tylt charger is awesome, works great and no sliding around to find the sweet spot, just drop on and its charging.
    So I was looking at the tylt vue for my incoming Note 5. I guess with the Note 5 it should work fine without the add in chip I saw on amazon. All good to go right? I actually finally got around to cleaning my studio to have a place to put my Vue...lol
    08-16-2015 02:38 PM
    So I was looking at the tylt vue for my incoming Note 5. I guess with the Note 5 it should work fine without the add in chip I saw on amazon. All good to go right? I actually finally got around to cleaning my studio to have a place to put my Vue...lol
    Yup. Qi charging is built in.
    08-16-2015 03:43 PM
    Went to my Verizon store today, they're getting in a shipment Tuesday. I lost all self control and am getting the gold 64gb in 2 days. Their website said black or white. With only black having 64gb. Very glad i went in as 3 colors were displayed. Each with the option for 26 or 64. Beautiful is a HUGE
    understatement. It's a work of art.

08-16-2015 03:53 PM
    If you're someone who uses their phone while charging, does that generally make the wireless charging pad unnecessary?
    08-16-2015 03:59 PM
    Actually I would say it is more useful. You use the phone for 5 min and set it down on the charging pad. The pick it up again when needed. I can also use my phone while on my Tylt Vue since it sits at a 45 degree angle. If you seriously can't keep the phone charges that way we need to think about a better way for you to do what you are doing. I would expect there is a better way to do it over using a portable battery powered phone.

I actually don't think using it while plugged in is a good idea. But that is just because I get annoyed working around the cable. That could certainly be personal preference.

08-16-2015 04:13 PM