$200 Trade in Promo (Verizon)

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if using verizon device payment allows you to keep UDP but if so you can always purchase the phone under that, pay the first month, then pay off the balance with no penalty. It's in the device payment faq that you can pay off the remaining balance any time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

EvilHomer3k

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I went back to best buy today only to find that they would not do the $200 gift card OR the wireless charger. I asked two people about paying in full the day I pre-ordered and two more yesterday. They all said it should go through. It didn't. So I wasted over 2 hours at Best Buy. I sold my Note 4 already. I might pick up a G4, GS6, or buy another Note 4. Then I'll get the Note 5 in a few months after I can find it used.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I went back to best buy today only to find that they would not do the $200 gift card OR the wireless charger. I asked two people about paying in full the day I pre-ordered and two more yesterday. They all said it should go through. It didn't. So I wasted over 2 hours at Best Buy. I sold my Note 4 already. I might pick up a G4, GS6, or buy another Note 4. Then I'll get the Note 5 in a few months after I can find it used.
I went during my lunch break yesterday hoping to get in and out since I was paying full price. The rep tried to sell it to me outright but said he had to device swap and still no go. So I asked them to price match Verizon's price and since I did the previous order I was entitled to the charger which he gave me.

The rep was cool, when he did people price match he put it in for $749.99 when Verizon sells it for $768.

I knew it was a long shot, the terms say that a contract renewal is needed. I just didn't like being told when I signed up that paying full price wouldn't be a problem. Then told them again when I signed in to pick up.

Typical Best Buy.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Went in to a corporate Verizon store today. The manager I dealt with first told me the $200 promo only applied to new customers joining Verizon. I explained to him that new customers add an additional $100 to the offer for a total of $300. I gave him my Moto G that's only used for music. He told me the phone had to have been active on one of my lines at some point and proceeded to rattle of a dozen devices I've had over the years that they would have taken. I walked out with nothing, will call customer service tomorrow and see if they'll do anything for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yikes! I am on the cusp of doing this deal for the Note 5. I've called both the 800 number and my local VZW store and both are ready to give me this discount. Potential problem: I think my Galaxy Nexus is rooted - really can't remember.

The Galaxy Nexus is deactivated, is in perfect condition and it boots right up. But it boots up to the "Glowing X's", which I don't think is the stock ROM. Here are my questions:

- Will VZW care if the phone is rooted when I do the trade in?
- If so, I don't have ADB or Fastboot installed anymore on my PC. I'll probably have to spend the time learning that stuff again and reflashing the phone, right? That sucks!
- Can you even flash a phone that is not activated? Don't know for sure.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yikes! I am on the cusp of doing this deal for the Note 5. I've called both the 800 number and my local VZW store and both are ready to give me this discount. Potential problem: I think my Galaxy Nexus is rooted - really can't remember.

The Galaxy Nexus is deactivated, is in perfect condition and it boots right up. But it boots up to the "Glowing X's", which I don't think is the stock ROM. Here are my questions:

- If so, I don't have ADB or Fastboot installed anymore on my PC. I'll probably have to spend the time learning that stuff again and reflashing the phone, right? That sucks!

It might we worth it to go buy a cheap phone that meets their criteria, it just depends on what they allow.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I did a similar promo with Verizon when my parents both upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus. I had old BlackBerry phones from Cingular that they were able to trade in to get the $200 credit each.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

These are the questions which it asks for the trade in.

uploadfromtaptalk1440955808022.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to follow up with this topic, because what VZW told me and what actually happened are different.

When I got my wife's phone...the s6e+, we did it in store, and it went flawlessly. The $200 came off the price of the phone, and new York got less money from me. In NY, you pay the tax on the price of the phone up front. With the 200 tradein, it drops the price by the 200.

On my pre-ordered phone, VZW gave me a $95 egift card for the trade in of my S4. I called VZW, and they were supposed to credit me the other 105 to the balance of the phone. A big lie! Turns out, once the deal is done, the only way to adjust the amount due on the phone it to make the monthly payments, or pay it off in full. You can't pay more on it. Also, once a store takes your trade-in phone, they are the only ones that can adjust the price. In the end, I wound up with a $95 egift card, and a $105 credit to my bill. But, this stupid state got more in taxes than I really care to give them.

How do you know it's cold in New York? The Democrats have their hands in their own pockets!

Posted via a Samsung Note 5

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried flashing my Galaxy Nexus back to stock, but since I tried doing so on a Win10 machine, there were too many new variables for it to work. I'll try from a Win7 machine.

Thanks to the poster above that offered the specific questions they are asking for the trade in. My phone qualifies on all of those items. I am just concerned that they might say - sorry, it's been rooted.

I'll try the flash again later...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank God for Win7. Some fastboot commands, cursing and then I was done. Back to stock.
I plan to do the trade tomorrow AM.
Here's hoping...

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
No matter.

Just confirmed that Best Buy in Puerto Rico doesn't do trade ins.

Beat deal I've seen down here is via Costco. You get a free samsung wireless charger plus a $150 Costco cash card.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
No dice for me.
I'll spare you all the gory details, but I spent waaaayyyy too much time in-store and on the phone with 5-6 different VZW people.
Some thought I was eligible, others thought I wasn't.
I was told by the last person I dealt with that I can't get the $200 deal when re-upping a 2-year contract with a subsidy. Period.

Not sure it's worth the hassle at this point.

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
FREE VZW MSG: Thank you for your recent Samsung smartphone purchase. Now you can trade in your old smartphone in good, working condition and receive a $200 Verizon Wireless Gift Card or Account Credit. Limited time offer. Visit www.vzw.com/tradein and enter promo code: SAM20096605852418

Not sure if this works, but I got it today.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
FREE VZW MSG: Thank you for your recent Samsung smartphone purchase. Now you can trade in your old smartphone in good, working condition and receive a $200 Verizon Wireless Gift Card or Account Credit. Limited time offer. Visit www.vzw.com/tradein and enter promo code: SAM20096605852418

Not sure if this works, but I got it today.

How long after you ordered your phone did you get that message?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Edit: Oops... Didn't realize that this was the Verizon $200 offer, not the Best Buy one... I'll keep my reply here in case it helps anyone interested in the Best Buy deal...

Here's the scoop (for the Best Buy trade-in offer on Verizon anyway)... Note that this is based on my experience, and I am more than happy to be proven wrong by someone else who has experienced differently...

1. The fine print on this deal indicates that the $200 trade-in offer is for "in-store" transactions only.

2. If you buy your phone at Best Buy (in-store), the in-store system only allows the sales people to sell you the phone at full MSRP using a payment plan (what used to be called Verizon's "Edge" program). If you do it this way, you can get the $200.00 Best Buy gift card. You cannot use this gift card towards the price of the phone. You can use it towards the sales tax of the phone.

3. If you buy your phone at bestbuy.com, you are not eligible for the $200.00 trade-in program, but the customer facing website does allow you to upgrade your phone at the contractual subsidized pricing (assuming you have a plan that allows for a subsidized phone).

I went with the subsidized phone pricing and skipped out on the $200.00 gift card trade-in...

Last edited:

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
How long after you ordered your phone did you get that message?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I pre-ordered on 13 Aug. Got my phone on the 18th, called for a warranty return on the 21st, got replacement on the 26th. Mailed in 1st one on the 26th. Took trade in phone to VZW store on friday. I don't have a phone to send in on the promo code, but I think the lack of a promo code has been a lot of the problem.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So, has anyone actually gotten this deal, from VZW, on a 2-year contract upgrade?
Not sure if I can determine this from all of the previous posts.
Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1