$200 Trade in Promo (Verizon)

andross77

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I was unable to get this trade in deal at Verizon or bestbuy buying the phone outright. Multiple people told me it is only for people getting on the monthly payment plan for the phone, meaning you have to be on their latest data plans. So no luck if you are trying to keep unlimited.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was unable to get this trade in deal at Verizon or bestbuy buying the phone outright. Multiple people told me it is only for people getting on the monthly payment plan for the phone, meaning you have to be on their latest data plans. So no luck if you are trying to keep unlimited.
This is what Verizon told me. That's why I went the payment option, after $200 rebate it was around $155 more over 2 year contract and line remains open for upgrade later.

I'm on the nationwide plan with 3 unlimited data lines and 2 tiered data lines. The tiered lines you can stay on nationwide plan and do payment plan.

So if you don't have 5 lines on your account yet, you can just add a line pay the phone off right away next month and shut that line off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

So, if you are with VZW on-contract and want to stay that way, you are NG for this deal. That sucks.

I'll have to keep my eye on upcoming deals.

GrungyNA

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got a text from Verizon that I was now eligible for the $200 trade in. Must have been because the return period had passed for my Note 5. The text had a promo code and website to visit which I did. I entered the info and the device I'm trading (old Galaxy Nexus) and they confirmed I'll get a $200 credit on my account. An envelope is being sent to me to mail the old phone to Verizon.

It's nice to finally get some info on this, I made two calls to Verizon customer service over the last two weeks and got two different answers prior to this.

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got a text from Verizon that I was now eligible for the $200 trade in. Must have been because the return period had passed for my Note 5. The text had a promo code and website to visit which I did. I entered the info and the device I'm trading (old Galaxy Nexus) and they confirmed I'll get a $200 credit on my account. An envelope is being sent to me to mail the old phone to Verizon.

It's nice to finally get some info on this, I made two calls to Verizon customer service over the last two weeks and got two different answers prior to this.

Hey Grungy - is this for an outright purchase, a payment plan, or 2-year contract?
Also, did you have to change your data plan to comply with some BS plan they are offering now?
Thanks in advance.

Imprzya

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I just got a text Verizon as well saying the same thing. I preordered mine from Best Buy and got the $200 and wireless charger, and I just followed the steps verizon sent me in the text and I'm getting a $200 bill credit once I mail my old phone in. Luckily I had two phones to trade in! Sweet! I had no idea I would be able to combine the two offers!
I'm on Verizon edge plan.

GrungyNA

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey Grungy - is this for an outright purchase, a payment plan, or 2-year contract?
Also, did you have to change your data plan to comply with some BS plan they are offering now?
Thanks in advance.

I did a payment plan and I didn't have to change my plan. But I've been on the newer type plans for a while now.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Pardon my naiveté, but when I trade in my old phone (at the store), I assume I remove my sim card before handing it over, correct? I did a factory reset on the phone and removed anything personal that I could find. Does removing the sim card "seal the deal" when it comes to wiping the phone clean of personal info? Thanks!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Pardon my naiveté, but when I trade in my old phone (at the store), I assume I remove my sim card before handing it over, correct? I did a factory reset on the phone and removed anything personal that I could find. Does removing the sim card "seal the deal" when it comes to wiping the phone clean of personal info? Thanks!

The SIM card, if your active SIM card, will be deactivated when they activate your new phone.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
FREE VZW MSG: Thank you for your recent Samsung smartphone purchase. Now you can trade in your old smartphone in good, working condition and receive a $200 Verizon Wireless Gift Card or Account Credit. Limited time offer. Visit Cell Phone Trade In - Recycle Old Devices with Verizon Wireless and enter promo code: SAM20096605852418

Not sure if this works, but I got it today.

Posted via a Samsung Note 5

I got the same txt and went to my local store and had no issues getting a $200 credit on my account.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
With the iPhone announcement on 9/9, new Nexus phones coming later in September and Samsung trying to keep up with the competition, I am hoping that Best Buy gets aggressive again offers the $200 promo over the Holiday weekend. As far as I can tell, the BB offer would have worked for me, being on VZW and wanting to stay on-contract.

The N5 is (IMO) the best hardware on the market right now. So I am staying in the game looking for a price break.

Last edited:

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
With the iPhone announcement on 9/9, new Nexus phones coming later in September and Samsung trying to keep up with the competition, I am hoping that Best Buy gets aggressive again offers the $200 promo over the Holiday weekend. As far as I can tell, the BB offer would have worked for me, being on VZW and wanting to stay on-contract.

The N5 is (IMO) the best hardware on the market right now. So I am staying in the game looking for a price break.

Samsung is the one that was offering it, just through Best Buy.

bongta029

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Did Bestbuy promotion end? I called them yesterday and the rep told me that they no longer give $200 trade in value, but still give out the charging pad and actual trade-in value for the old phone. I'm debating to go to VZ for $200 or Costco for $150gc and charging pad.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
So, has anyone actually gotten this deal, from VZW, on a 2-year contract upgrade?
Not sure if I can determine this from all of the previous posts.
Thanks!

I upgrade at bestbuy.com using a loophole. I upgraded a dumb phone line and when my note five came in it used the sim from my unlimited line in my note five. Keeping my unlimited data intact. I then went to a best buy store and got the 200 gift card by giving them the dumb phones number!
Worked without any hiccups.

bongta029

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Did Bestbuy promotion end? I called them yesterday and the rep told me that they no longer give $200 trade in value, but still give out the charging pad and actual trade-in value for the old phone. I'm debating to go to VZ for $200 or Costco for $150gc and charging pad.

I went to VZ and got $200 promotion with Omnia2. I charging pad is useless if it's not a quick charging one

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Hey Bongta:
Thanks for the heads-up. When you mentioned Costco, I figured I'd call Sam's Club, where I am a member. Bingo!

I landed a N5 for $90 net after tax. Their price was $237 with a $150 gift card good at Sam's or WalMart - with no trade in required. I was able to keep my contract status - which works best for me. I shop at both of these places often enough, so that's how I figured my "net" cost.

Thanks again!!

ChrisNee1988

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I upgrade at bestbuy.com using a loophole. I upgraded a dumb phone line and when my note five came in it used the sim from my unlimited line in my note five. Keeping my unlimited data intact. I then went to a best buy store and got the 200 gift card by giving them the dumb phones number!
Worked without any hiccups.

You end up having to pay for a data plan on that dumb phone line right?

digdug11

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Best buy site offers option to keep existing plan. Had I activated the sim that came with my phone I would have had to. I've used this method three times now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20