Defender or Commuter

Steve Bruno2

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the defender on my Note 2 and love it, the only downside I ever had with the case is it made the phone a lot bigger than what it truly is. I already pre-ordered my Note 5 and want to buy an otterbox the day of/before my phone arrives. So few questions:

1. Which retailer to purchase otterbox: (best price & availability) --> bestbuy offers $70 trade in for note 2 so most likely buying it there, but may use that credit another day.
2. Which should I buy --> Pros/Cons to both (i like my defender cause of the clip, is it true the commuter does not have a clip?)
3. If I buy the commuter, will it offer me as much protection being a 2 layer, vs. my defender is a 3 layer? --> this is a concern.
4. Forget Otterbox and buy totally different brand?

Thanks,
Steve

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The defender for the note 2 was huge! The note 3 and 4 defenders were much slimmer. I still didnt like that the rubber lost it's shape a little fast for me.

The defenders are good what they do, i havent had a commuter but my brother had one for his 3 and i thought it felt better.

You can't go wrong with either, im looking at the commuter as a possibility, but i really want something even slimmer that offers good drop protection.. like the tech21 mesh case. But to me the outside gets too slippery with hand oil or sweat.

Im other people on here have more experience in cases.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Ballistic jewel case is pretty light and slim in the hands(compared to other cases giving good protection) and has a 6' drop test certification. It also has good grip. Not the most stylish case though.

https://www.goballisticcase.com/shop/samsung/samsung-galaxy-note-5/

Otterbox looks nicer but costs quite a bit more and is probably heavier and more bulky. In my experience with previous phones, the commuter grip wasn't great. Defender grip was better.

Daaku Singh

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the commuter directly from Otterbox on Sat (10% discount and free 2nd day air..$45+taxes). I'm taking delivery tomorrow (and no phone yet..hah).

I opted for the commuter mainly for size/bulkiness reasons. I think the fall protection is more than adequate with the commuter without the added bulkiness of the defender.

And personally, for premium electronics, I don't shy away and buy some el-cheapo case that does a half assed job. I see it as a one time expense...get a decent case and the price pays itself off over time.

Steve Bruno2

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
ok, but does the commuter case come with a clip?

I use my clip alot, at work (dress cloths, at gym lifting and running & on weekends). --- hate putting the phone in my pocket.

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Can you buy the commuter case and buy a clip separately? Will the one from the defender series work because i do see it sold alone?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've never liked either, they are so bulky. If you are in a situation where you need that extra protection, I believe the Commuter is a bit smaller, less bulk, but lots of protection.

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a clear tpu case on Amazon. Its not here yet. This phone is mostly glass so I might regret it.
I currently using a Incipio Dual case from Verizon. Thin yet protective with a zagg glass screen protector. Take a look at that one if you're looking at the commuter :)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the Defender and the screen protector that comes with the phone makes it hard to tap on the screen. Sometimes my taps don't register so I have to tap twice. I'll be switching to the Commuter case when it comes to stores.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the Defender and the screen protector that comes with the phone makes it hard to tap on the screen. Sometimes my taps don't register so I have to tap twice. I'll be switching to the Commuter case when it comes to stores.
This confirms what I feared.. I'll be getting the Commuter instead

Sent from my Note 5

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

You can easily press out the built in screen protector. The commuter is slippery as hell. Always hated that line. I have the Defender but it's just too big. Putting a glass protector on and using a Diztronic case when they get here Monday. Will use the otterbox when I go hiking etc.

Posted via the Android Central App

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the defender on my Note5 and it is about 1/3 slimmer than the defender case for my Note2. If I can later today I'll get a few shots of it and post them for you to compare. Maybe not 1/3 but obviously thinner than the original for the Note2.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Never Otter box. IMO they're overpriced and poorly made. I'm using a black Tech21.

Are you using the ultra thin? Thats what i took back yesterday. I loved the case but bumper was almost flush with the screen. It made me nervous.

The other two tech21 cases weren't ultra thin, and i lived those.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante