Sorry I passed judgement too quick, this Note 5 is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So I was one of those guys that said the battery was too small and the phone is going to be like my s6 experience. Let me just say this phone is nothing like the s6. The battery life has far exceeded what I assumed it would be. My first day yesterday was 3.2% an hour with 3.5 hours of SOT and 44% left by bedtime. My s6 would of been dead by 5 o clock, but its not just battery life that makes this phone so amazing.

Just holding it in your hand and using it the device feels great. Its like handcrafted jewelry when you first take it out of the box and when you see how small the bezels are you realize the design of the device is the best I have ever seen in the smartphone industry. The fact that it's skinnier than my g4 at a 5.5 inch screen and has a 5.7 inch screen is beyond bold in design language and I can actually use it one handed.

As a smartphone user I have evolved a few years back and don't need the SD card anymore and while I know many people like it I just feel it's time everyone accepts cloud storage and can see the benefits of using it. There is no benefit using an SD card and many times they get corrupted and slow the device down.

So speaking of lag there is none with the software Samsung put on the Note 5, no memory loss or stutter. It's super quick where my s6 was a disaster to use, even after two factory resets I couldn't get it smooth. Even after I disabled the bloat ware and really focused on memory management it didn't matter, that s6 software was a epic fail. But not on the Note, at least the s6 can be fixed with a software update though- it desperately needs it.

But in any case my judgements on the note 5 were based on the s6 and that was wrong. This is the device of the year no doubt, optimized software and amazing hardware. The best devices this year so far (and I buy all of them) is the Note 5, the s6 active and the ZTE Axon. You can't go wrong with any of those.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. Finally a hands on non biased or agenda pushing review! I'm still on the fence on weather to upgrade from s6 edge. But this review has taken me a step closer to pushing the button. Decisions decisions!

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. Especially the screen. The side bezels are almost non existent. I wish I was seeing you battery life though. Need a few more days of testing. I unlocked my GS6A so its fetching a good return on EBay. May just go that route.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. Finally a hands on non biased or agenda pushing review! I'm still on the fence on weather to upgrade from s6 edge. But this review has taken me a step closer to pushing the button. Decisions decisions!

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

The gs6 edge is a beast i to I have one . It's a keeper . But if you want a bigger phone that's similar then you won't go wrong with the n5

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Just received my Note 5, and I agree with everything said. I'll need to go a few days to comment on battery life, but my initial impressions of the Note 5 are very positive. The screen is amazing, especially for video and photo viewing. Sound quality through my headphones is excellent too. Beats my Nexus 6 in those regards.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I posted the same thing last night. I went into the Best Buy store yesterday to play with the Note 5 and it was amazingly fast. The feature I really loved on it was that you can write on the screen with the screen off when you pull out the pen. Why wasn't that feature on previous iterations of the phone? It's amazing!

I'll be getting a Note 5, but I have to wait a couple of more weeks when I get paid. :)

Edit: I preordered mine today on AT&T and expected to get it by the end of the week!

Last edited:

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just came back from the Verizon store and it looks and feels amazing. The screen really is spectacular and everything was super fast. Can't wait for the pre-order to arrive.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
With reviews like this I am starting to warm up to it.
I'm still unhappy with the lack of SD and removeable Battery options but the new finger print scanner and improved speed can sway me. Time will tell.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with you and haven't even received my Note 5 from Sprint. The SD card is done not need to keep keeping something I've had for years now. Also very glad to be on a device with all the capabilities of the New touchwiz. 64GB will be enough for me just need a device with for music. Very excited to see all the nrw features in the camera also. The notes 4 camera has been one of the best ever. Just happy that the note 4 kept me satisfied for a year.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just pulled the trigger on a 64GB N5 preorder at best buy. Hoping to trade in my original Note as I was told on Friday it is a guaranteed 200. That plus the wireless charger they are including is giving me hope that power will never be a problem.

I am worried about storage. There really is no replacement for the SD card if you need that much storage locally and they keep growing. The thought that kind of storage is obsolete is foolish. The question though is how often do you need it. Cloud storage doesn't make local storage obsolete or vice versa. They each have there use case and I use both and not for the same thing.

I was never worried about the battery because they included wireless charging. The days of keeping a phone off the charger all day should be gone soon. Before you know it all kinds of furniture will include it. You care will charge it and pretty much any time you set it doe it will be gathering juice. The only people getting screwed in that scenerio would be folks that work outside continuously that would never sit down and have a place to put it other then there pocket.

The folks that will be hit hardest by the storage limit will be those that take 4k video though.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
With the strength of high end smart phones today they should have a productive lifecycle of 36mos. Anything less than that is unacceptable.

Having a device that is 100% at your fingertips is the function required doesn't matter if it last a week between charges. Being tied to a new electrical outlet for any time is unacceptable.

Using SD cards allows you to have the most protection of your personal information. Using the cloud you give up any rights to you and your family's privacy such as facial recognition, bank account info, etc they are just trying to lull you into thinking it is safe, get use to being tracked every minute of your life and every place you go if you use the cloud.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
@Dude2

The cloud is only one part of that. You don't have to use Google drive or Dropbox for companies to data mine information about you. If you don't want that you need to pretty much abandoned technology as a whole now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Using SD cards allows you to have the most protection of your personal information. Using the cloud you give up any rights to you and your family's privacy such as facial recognition, bank account info, etc they are just trying to lull you into thinking it is safe, get use to being tracked every minute of your life and every place you go if you use the cloud.

Your carrier already can track where you go so if you have a cell phone at all -- they can find you.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
With the strength of high end smart phones today they should have a productive lifecycle of 36mos. Anything less than that is unacceptable.

Having a device that is 100% at your fingertips is the function required doesn't matter if it last a week between charges. Being tied to a new electrical outlet for any time is unacceptable.

Here's a thread to discuss removable batteries and Sdcards http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...able-battery-must-go-here-13.html#post4613187

I'm really happy with Note so far on the hardware and the performance of the phone itself. It feels great in my hand and is very fast without any lag what so ever. The biggest surprise for me is the fingerprint scanner and on how accurate it is, I really didn't expect that. I'm also impressed with the sound quality of the speakers compared to the HTC M8, I assumed it wouldn't be even close to as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke