Sorry I passed judgement too quick, this Note 5 is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Agreed...I believe the program is for "any working smartphone PERIOD"... I got a S200.00 credit for a MetroPCS LG F6 that had a $5.00 value. I do believe its "Samsung's Program" and not Verizon's so it should have all the same qualifiers.

A lot of ppl do not realize that and are trading in perfectly good phones worth much more when they could do the Walmart/ebay thing. You would THINK the salesppl would tell you, but then again, I guess they wouldn't want to lose the sale while u leave to go schlepping to get a cheaper phone to trade in.

My advice is just call and ask, "ANY working smartphone"? and see if they tell you "YES"....

BTC

Is this also for sprint?

Posted via the Android Central App

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You know, this is all refreshing to read...but these are all first impressions.

Every Samsung I've owned has had the tendency to slow down pretty significantly after the first 6-8 months. With or without an SD card.

I get the whole "new device high" thing, it happens to me every time I get a new phone - but I grow weary for Sammie phones now, because TouchWiz is just so crappy and so heavy. The RAM usage alone on these things goes to show you how heavy TouchWiz is and it's very disappointing - it's no wonder they pack in so much RAM and the fastest processors out - they have to because of the UI alone.

Clean up TouchWiz to where it's near non-existent and not so memory intensive and I'm willing to bet you'd have an awesome and solid, long-term device on your hands.

Android memory management isn't so simple. You WANT the memory full. Android will make the memory full. The memory is the best place for as much as you can cram into it. Sure TW might take more than Nova, or some other launcher.. but understand that when you do that you have BOTH in memory then.

As for the slowness after time... that is 90% or more user caused. We load up our devices and keep loading them up, more and more, and then we notice they are not working as well as when then were new. They don't wear out. It is software and cleaning them up from time to time that makes all of the difference. I have the Note 4 and it runs as good today as ever. Sure I put a ton of crap on it. I work it hard. But when I notice the lag, I clean some things up. I stopped playing SimCity 6 months ago and took it off last week...

I would imagine (and I hope to find out starting tomorrow) that the Note 5 will be the same.

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i too would love to enjoy the Note 5... but unfortunately Samsung made it hard for me.... No 64GB option, and only in Black.... i was going to even go today to pick one up if they had even 64GB in Black.... but nope.. no where on the Rogers site does it say 64GB variant... ; < so sad i really wanted this phone! but i can't give up my Gold S6 Edge for a Black device with only 32GB

Nate512

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm definitely picking mine up tomorrow in the jump on demand program. Trading in the old Note 4. I'm super excited for this new Note 5 I hear nothing but good things. I can understand the SD card and battery removal change. I'm no moder so I have no need. Plus the claim that phone batterys start to demenish after 8 months is fine because I'll already have the next big thing by or before then. Lol

alt075

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting this phone tommorow. I love it. I'm getting the 32 gb one. I don't need more as I only currantally am using 5.5 gb data on my s4 now. So I don't think I'll have a issue with storage. I went up to best buy and played with this phone and I also like it very much.

UltiMatDan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Which camera would u say takes the best pictures overall between the Note 5 and G4? Seems like both do really well in daylight capturing a lot of detail but im reading the Note 5 falls a bit short of the G4 for low light and night time pics.

So I was one of those guys that said the battery was too small and the phone is going to be like my s6 experience. Let me just say this phone is nothing like the s6. The battery life has far exceeded what I assumed it would be. My first day yesterday was 3.2% an hour with 3.5 hours of SOT and 44% left by bedtime. My s6 would of been dead by 5 o clock, but its not just battery life that makes this phone so amazing.

Just holding it in your hand and using it the device feels great. Its like handcrafted jewelry when you first take it out of the box and when you see how small the bezels are you realize the design of the device is the best I have ever seen in the smartphone industry. The fact that it's skinnier than my g4 at a 5.5 inch screen and has a 5.7 inch screen is beyond bold in design language and I can actually use it one handed.

As a smartphone user I have evolved a few years back and don't need the SD card anymore and while I know many people like it I just feel it's time everyone accepts cloud storage and can see the benefits of using it. There is no benefit using an SD card and many times they get corrupted and slow the device down.

So speaking of lag there is none with the software Samsung put on the Note 5, no memory loss or stutter. It's super quick where my s6 was a disaster to use, even after two factory resets I couldn't get it smooth. Even after I disabled the bloat ware and really focused on memory management it didn't matter, that s6 software was a epic fail. But not on the Note, at least the s6 can be fixed with a software update though- it desperately needs it.

But in any case my judgements on the note 5 were based on the s6 and that was wrong. This is the device of the year no doubt, optimized software and amazing hardware. The best devices this year so far (and I buy all of them) is the Note 5, the s6 active and the ZTE Axon. You can't go wrong with any of those.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Which camera would u say takes the best pictures overall between the Note 5 and G4? Seems like both do really well in daylight capturing a lot of detail but im reading the Note 5 falls a bit short of the G4 for low light and night time pics.

G4 is great but the Note 5 reproduces color better at night, and day shots are a touch more clearer with regarding sharpness. Seriously splitting hairs though, both are great cameras. The Note 5 home button you hit twice and it immediately launches the camera with no lag, fastest I've ever seen

johnshaft

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I also wanted to share this with everyone. With all the noise about the IR blaster being removed, I can still use my phone to change channels. I have Comcast cable and using the X1 app allowed me to change channels with my Note 5. You may want to check your cable or satellite company to see if they have such an app.

As far as storage goes, I have Dropbox, Box and Google Drive. But if you must not use cloud based storage, may I suggest a 64GB OTG thumb drive.

BTW, I have the 64GB Sprint variant.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Why did you go with the Note 5 instead of the S6 Edge Plus?

Ill answer for me anyway, if im going to have a phone that size i want the Spen. Ive had the last three notes and now dont want a big phone without one.. the edge is nice, but i was to get one i know i would miss not having the Spen. It means more to me than the edged screen.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Getting the Note 5 this weekend. Was planning on trading in my galaxy S3 on Verizon. It's in great shape although my battery is toast! Will they give me $200 for such an old phone tho? Should I buy a new battery for it? Thanks for any help, new to the trading in game.

They'll take it as long as the screen isn't cracked or broken and it powers on. I bought a cheap prepaid ZTE android phone from target that I'm going to use tomorrow for my trade in.

Last edited:

robertc88

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Tick tock. Cannot wait till tomorrow and it is Friday so more time to play with it with the upcoming weekend.

There is a song that says the holidays are the most wonderful time of the year. Not for us phone junkies, right around now is with more phones on the way soon!

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
i too would love to enjoy the Note 5... but unfortunately Samsung made it hard for me.... No 64GB option, and only in Black.... i was going to even go today to pick one up if they had even 64GB in Black.... but nope.. no where on the Rogers site does it say 64GB variant... ; < so sad i really wanted this phone! but i can't give up my Gold S6 Edge for a Black device with only 32GB
Why is this Samsungs fault? Most likely Rodgers did not order a black 64. Happens all the time. ATT ordered phones without wireless, etc....

Zac Buchholz

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Ive had my note 5 for a couple days now and I absolutely agree battery life on this thing has been amazing!!!!! And I love the new site pen feature that writes on the black locked screen!!!!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is ALL carriers offering the $200.00....... a quick phonecall will tell u for sure tho... and also it should be listed in the fine print section of any promo if u scroll down : )

I know Sprint is doing the $200 credit

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The cool thing about TouchWiz now is you can change the themes. The same theme engine for the s6 is in the Note 5. I am currently using the material design theme and I feel like I'm using a Nexus. Pretty awesome customization!

But that doesn't make it any faster... I'm not worried about customization as much as I'm worried about how memory intensive it may be.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Android memory management isn't so simple. You WANT the memory full. Android will make the memory full. The memory is the best place for as much as you can cram into it. Sure TW might take more than Nova, or some other launcher.. but understand that when you do that you have BOTH in memory then.

As for the slowness after time... that is 90% or more user caused. We load up our devices and keep loading them up, more and more, and then we notice they are not working as well as when then were new. They don't wear out. It is software and cleaning them up from time to time that makes all of the difference. I have the Note 4 and it runs as good today as ever. Sure I put a ton of crap on it. I work it hard. But when I notice the lag, I clean some things up. I stopped playing SimCity 6 months ago and took it off last week...

I would imagine (and I hope to find out starting tomorrow) that the Note 5 will be the same.

That's the thing, TouchWiz takes up a crapton of memory on its own - which is why I don't use an overlay launcher instead (like Nova). And I don't "cram" my phone up - I like to keep it as clean as possible.

And RAM IS meant to be used - this is true - BUT you don't want it to be ALL used leaving only 500MB of the 3 gigs you thought you had. Touchwiz does WAY too little (that's productive and useful) to be running so much memory.

I stand by my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.