09-11-2015 09:21 PM
95 1234
tools
    Lol yeah I remember u told me... Still gets me though. Verizon does have pretty good service. Places where I don't get service my Verizon friends do

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!
    Whenever I drive through Montana, Wyoming, Idaho. I get CRAP signal through verizon lol. I have 0 bars...
    08-24-2015 10:23 AM
    Correction: everyone who is a high data user will be throttled. Sometimes it is even more specific: high data users on a grandfathered unlimited plan who are trying to stream video. Lol.

But yeah. They call it "network optimization."

Posted via the Android Central App
    Link?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-24-2015 01:54 PM
    Verizon does throttle but not like the others. It is based on tower congestion. At that point everyone connected to that tower is throttled and that to me is fair.

This is correct.

Correction: everyone who is a high data user will be throttled. Sometimes it is even more specific: high data users on a grandfathered unlimited plan who are trying to stream video. Lol.

But yeah. They call it "network optimization."

They do not do this (Verizon). Others like Sprint & T-Mobile do but Verizon backed off the "optimization" throttle when they announced it.
    08-24-2015 02:15 PM
    The only thing good about Verizon is their coverage.

Everything else about them sucks.

Makes you wonder why many of my buddies have already gone to T-Mobile.
    Being on a legacy Unlimited Data Plan helps too.
    I went to Tmobile since the only way to stay unlimited was to buy a phone outright, get a used one or some other funny business that wouldn't work for me. I got unlimited data, text, talk and 7GB of hotspot (I think the tmobile rep changed my plan a bit, because I had 5gb but just looked and it said 7). Plus the "Jump" program. They also have the "jump on demand". If I had chosen the 32GB Note 5, wouldn't have cost me anything. Yeah, they did charge extra upfront for the 64GB, but I knew I'd need that with no SD card. Maybe. I'm learning to use the cloud and live in 2015. I actually pay a little less then I did with Verizon each month.
    08-24-2015 03:28 PM
    I got unlimited data, text, talk and 7GB of hotspot (I think the tmobile rep changed my plan a bit, because I had 5gb but just looked and it said 7)
    It was changed for everyone by T-Mobile to 7 GB hotspot. They decided to up the limit from 5 to 7.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-24-2015 03:41 PM
    I went to Tmobile since the only way to stay unlimited was to buy a phone outright, get a used one or some other funny business that wouldn't work for me. I got unlimited data, text, talk and 7GB of hotspot (I think the tmobile rep changed my plan a bit, because I had 5gb but just looked and it said 7). Plus the "Jump" program. They also have the "jump on demand". If I had chosen the 32GB Note 5, wouldn't have cost me anything. Yeah, they did charge extra upfront for the 64GB, but I knew I'd need that with no SD card. Maybe. I'm learning to use the cloud and live in 2015. I actually pay a little less then I did with Verizon each month.
    My usage is perfect for unlimited data. No throttling.

My next phone is going to be the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition. Like the Nexus 6, I can take it to any carrier I want should Verizon try to take away my legacy plan.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Almeuit and debdroid1a like this.
    08-24-2015 09:19 PM
    I glanced over this thread, so I may have missed small details, and I realize not everyone wants to root their phone......However, does anyone think it would be possible to sideload Samsung Pay?

I'm assuming Samsung will open this up to non-Samsung devices and I did successfully sideload Google Wallet back in the day.
    You will not be able to sideload the app. Verizon is blocking it right now. Verizon did the same thing for Galaxy Apps on the Note 3 once it was upgraded to Lollipop. You can get a copy of the APK but it will not install properly or work. Until Verizon figures out a way to monetize Samsung Pay (or get a bigger cut than they were offered) it will remain a no go.
    4runner likes this.
    08-25-2015 05:42 PM
    It should be noted that Verizon could care less about you or me. Threaten to leave Verizon for another company and they would say good riddance. They own over 30% of the wireless market in the US and do have the best coverage. The problem is they know this and so don’t care about you. This dinosaur of a company has its head so far up its corporate A&& that they cannot see the real future. The other carriers are investing billions to improve their networks. Once companies like Sprint expand enough and continue to offer all you can eat plans they will overtake Verizon. The use of Draconian practices of removing or not supporting key features on smartphones will cause many to flock to carries that support their customers. If Motorola is successful with their Moto X Pure by selling direct to the consumer without the carrier bloat, others will start following. Maybe than Verizon will figure it out that the customers want the feature they remove.

As to Verizon “still evaluating” support for Samsung Pay that is Corporate speak for “we are going to string you along until it is too late for you do anything about it”. I believe Verizon has no intention of supporting Samsung Pay. As such I am seriously cosidering returning the Note 5 before the 14 day period expires if Verizon does not reverse their stance on this matter. I will then wait and see how the Moto X Pure does and may consider moving to that phone. If it were not for my Unlimited data plan I would jump ship now. Sprint is looking good but their Spark network does not reach where I live (rural Washington State) yet. Maybe in 12-18 months Sprint says. I have more faith in Sprint’s high speed network reaching me in less than 12 months than Verizon approving Samsung Pay.

I only hope that the other manufactures start doing what Moto is doing. Make a phone in one model that works on all carriers. Sell it direct to the consumer. That will make it a lot easier to start moving to whatever carrier you want with the best price and best features that meet your needs. Not what the carrier is willing to support.
    08-26-2015 01:06 PM
    If you go to the Samsung website and to the Samsung Pay section it lists the places that will accept SP and in that list is Bank of America and other non-phone shops or business along with some cell companies. It seems that those are places that are on board to accept Samsung Pay because the other businesses listed have nothing to do with cell phones (i.e. Bank of America). If you then go down that page to where you can buy phones that are compatible with SP it brings up all the major cell companies INCLUDING Verizon. I suspect that the update that will include Samsung Pay will be pushed out by Samsung and not Verizon but that is just my guess.

I admit it's all very confusing right now but Verizon has told me that Samsung is pushing out Samsung Pay with an update from Samsung. But, then again, we all know how accurate some CSR's can be, although, I have been told this by three different CSR's. I guess we'll be finding out in the next month or so who is right and whether or not this is all a lot of noise over nothing. Personally, if Verizon does not allow SP on their phones that would be reason enough to me to leave Verizon and go elsewhere, and this is what I will do.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    08-26-2015 06:47 PM
    I'm already looking into moving to tmobile

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    08-26-2015 08:23 PM
    If you go to the Samsung website and to the Samsung Pay section it lists the places that will accept SP and in that list is Bank of America and other non-phone shops or business along with some cell companies. It seems that those are places that are on board to accept Samsung Pay because the other businesses listed have nothing to do with cell phones (i.e. Bank of America). If you then go down that page to where you can buy phones that are compatible with SP it brings up all the major cell companies INCLUDING Verizon. I suspect that the update that will include Samsung Pay will be pushed out by Samsung and not Verizon but that is just my guess.

I admit it's all very confusing right now but Verizon has told me that Samsung is pushing out Samsung Pay with an update from Samsung. But, then again, we all know how accurate some CSR's can be, although, I have been told this by three different CSR's. I guess we'll be finding out in the next month or so who is right and whether or not this is all a lot of noise over nothing. Personally, if Verizon does not allow SP on their phones that would be reason enough to me to leave Verizon and go elsewhere, and this is what I will do.
    Did your stay with iOS end already?

And I ditched Verizon about a year and a half ago for AT&T once my area got a little bit better. I lost unlimited data and don't miss it one bit. The freedom of AT&T and lower bills make it worth it. I find that my coverage is nearly identical and I can bring virtually any phone I want to their network. You couldn't pay me to go back to Verizon.
    08-26-2015 08:48 PM
    Did your stay with iOS end already?
    Yes, I had the iPhone 6 plus for a week. Definitely a very nice phone, but not for me. I depend on notifications and I don't always carry my phone with me so I seriously missed the notification lights on Sammy's phones. Also, why would anyone put up with itunes!! I have about 25 gigs of music and trying to manage it MY WAY using itunes was both a nightmare and impossible. Also, to stay on topic the iPhone doesn't have Samsung Pay -- on any network.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    08-26-2015 09:38 PM
    It'll be interesting to see how Samsung Pay and the others handle the switch to EMV cards later this year or first of next. How they handle sending the chip info to the new terminals, if they can.
    08-26-2015 09:59 PM
    Well it seems that I was wrong. Finally talked to someone in the Samsung Pay department at Samsung and Verizon and Samsung are "in talks" as to whether or not it will be allowed on the Verizon network. That means that my 14 days will be up before we know for sure. I am switching all of our lines to AT&T later today. Verizon doesn't get to make the decision to use or not use Samsung Pay for me! They also don't get to put me in the position of not knowing until it's too late to return this phone. I am just done with them Adios Verizon!
    Wildo6882 and AdamHLG like this.
    08-29-2015 09:45 AM
    Well it seems that I was wrong. Finally talked to someone in the Samsung Pay department at Samsung and Verizon and Samsung are "in talks" as to whether or not it will be allowed on the Verizon network. That means that my 14 days will be up before we know for sure. I am switching all of our lines to AT&T later today. Verizon doesn't get to make the decision to use or not use Samsung Pay for me! They also don't get to put me in the position of not knowing until it's too late to return this phone. I am just done with them Adios Verizon!
    Honestly, if you have good service in your area (which I do) AT&T is awesome. I love that I can take whatever phone I want and it'll work on their network. Plus they get exclusive phones that I actually like. They tend to not cripple their devices like Verizon. They still suck at updates, though. But overall, very happy. And won't be leaving any time soon.
    08-29-2015 12:12 PM
    A pay option should be device related not carrier specific. Rather odd...
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    08-29-2015 06:54 PM
    To all you guys on Verizon, I really hope they get their head out of their asses and support this. As part of the beta program I can tell you it's very smooth, simple and a pleasure to use. Really hope you guys get to use the phone as it was intended.
    08-29-2015 07:26 PM
    Switched service today, we are now on AT&T and my Note 5 now has Samsung Pay on the phone. Two years ago AT&T had very marginal service here but they've been adding towers like crazy and their service is now great, otherwise I would not have switched to them from Verizon. So glad to be out from Verizon's evil service.
    TheDonJ77 and Wildo6882 like this.
    08-29-2015 10:00 PM
    Switched service today, we are now on AT&T and my Note 5 now has Samsung Pay on the phone. Two years ago AT&T had very marginal service here but they've been adding towers like crazy and their service is now great, otherwise I would not have switched to them from Verizon. So glad to be out from Verizon's evil service.
    My exact experience about a year and a half ago. Congrats on the new service and new phone!
    08-29-2015 11:06 PM
    Jealous

Sent from my smexy Note 5
    08-30-2015 12:11 AM
    So now we know why Verizon is having problems with getting on board with Samsung Pay. They been too busy designing a lame new logo.

Posted using my Verizon crippled Note 5.
    09-02-2015 11:15 PM
    I switched from Verizon to t-mobile yesterday. I didn't like the locked down bootloader and now with Samsung pay, I showed them how I feel with my money

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 11:27 PM
    Leaving Verizon means nothing to them. They are so large and have so many customers that it would take 10 million people to leave in one month to get their attention. The CEO has said he does not care if people leave because of price. That Verizon has the best network and as such customers must expect to pay more. Here in the Northwest Sprint and Tmobile are no viable options. Coverage is NON-EXISTENT once you leave the metro area.

Currently I am on an unlimited plan. The wife has a dumb phone and I have the smart one withe the data and text messaging. We share minutes. Our total cost with taxes and fees is $125 per month. This is hard to beat. The closest competitor is ATT. The best I can do there is 25gb plan. If I wanted to convert my wife to a smart plan it would add about $40 to my bill for her to have text and 2 Gb of data on Verizon

To switch to ATT a 25gb shared plan would be about $183 per month for service only. So I can stay with Verizon at $165/mo. with unlimited data for me and 2GB for the wife. Or switch to ATT at $183/mo. The cost difference is not that much but the coverage is not as good as Verizon is in this area. One nice thing is I could get interest fee financing by switching rather than having to pay full price for my phones.

It will be a hard decision and I have to decide today which way to go.

09-03-2015 08:43 AM
    Leaving Verizon means nothing to them. They are so large and have so many customers that it would take 10 million people to leave in one month to get their attention. The CEO has said he does not care if people leave because of price. That Verizon has the best network and as such customers must expect to pay more. Here in the Northwest Sprint and Tmobile are no viable options. Coverage is NON-EXISTENT once you leave the metro area.

Currently I am on an unlimited plan. The wife has a dumb phone and I have the smart one withe the data and text messaging. We share minutes. Our total cost with taxes and fees is $125 per month. This is hard to beat. The closest competitor is ATT. The best I can do there is 25gb plan. If I wanted to convert my wife to a smart plan it would add about $40 to my bill for her to have text and 2 Gb of data on Verizon

To switch to ATT a 25gb shared plan would be about $183 per month for service only. So I can stay with Verizon at $165/mo. with unlimited data for me and 2GB for the wife. Or switch to ATT at $183/mo. The cost difference is not that much but the coverage is not as good as Verizon is in this area. One nice thing is I could get interest fee financing by switching rather than having to pay full price for my phones.

It will be a hard decision and I have to decide today which way to go.

Why is this a hard decision for you? (I am asking seriously)...

It sounds like with Verizion, you are saying that it's cheaper for you, and has better coverage...AND you are grandfathered into a unlimited plan with this cheap and great coverage carrier (for your situation...I am not making ANY general claims about Verizon per se).

It sounds like AT&T (for your situation) is more expensive, poorer coverage AND you have to let go of your unlimited plan.

The only downside I see is if you anticipate that your wife will need more than 2GB of data, and you want to go to a shared data plan so that she has the flexibility to go over the 2GB limit...

My wife has an unlimited plan (as do I) on the Verizon network too... I generally use between 3.5GB and 7.5GB... My wife, on the other hand, uses less than 500KB... I really need to transfer that line to one of my kids... Oh, and speaking of the kiddies...they both manage their usage to their 2GB plans and they are millennial teenagers!

Let us know what you end up doing... I am always trolling for a better deal... This decision doesn't sound like a difficult one from the outside looking in... But I appreciate that there might be more to the story than what I am interpreting...

Good luck!
    09-03-2015 09:01 AM
    Why is this a hard decision for you? (I am asking seriously)...

It sounds like with Verizion, you are saying that it's cheaper for you, and has better coverage...AND you are grandfathered into a unlimited plan with this cheap and great coverage carrier (for your situation...I am not making ANY general claims about Verizon per se).

It sounds like AT&T (for your situation) is more expensive, poorer coverage AND you have to let go of your unlimited plan.

The only downside I see is if you anticipate that your wife will need more than 2GB of data, and you want to go to a shared data plan so that she has the flexibility to go over the 2GB limit...

My wife has an unlimited plan (as do I) on the Verizon network too... I generally use between 3.5GB and 7.5GB... My wife, on the other hand, uses less than 500KB... I really need to transfer that line to one of my kids... Oh, and speaking of the kiddies...they both manage their usage to their 2GB plans and they are millennial teenagers!

Let us know what you end up doing... I am always trolling for a better deal... This decision doesn't sound like a difficult one from the outside looking in... But I appreciate that there might be more to the story than what I am interpreting...

Good luck!
    My reason for considering the switch stems from Verizon's need to disable features on phones and in this case to not support Samsung Pay. I fully expect Verizon to announce in the next 3 weeks that they will NOT be supporting Samsung Pay. I hope I am wrong but that seems to be where they are heading. If it were not for the coverage and my unlimited plan I would be gone already. ATT coverage is close to Verizon. I use about 15 - 25 GB per month. When I travel my phone becomes my entertainment system. In the past I could hook up the Note 3 MHL line to a hotel TV and enjoy all my programs via DishAnywhere. The closest I could get to unlimited for me was ATT 25GB plan with rollover. It would cost me less than $20 per month to switch and get the added convenience of free financing. So there is a decision to be made. I will probably stay with Verizon as the wife does not like change. (been with Verizon for over 10 years). Still I have until the end of the day to return the phone to Best buy and get my money back.
    09-03-2015 09:32 AM
95 1234