09-11-2015 09:21 PM
95 ... 234
tools
    My reason for considering the switch stems from Verizon's need to disable features on phones and in this case to not support Samsung Pay. I fully expect Verizon to announce in the next 3 weeks that they will NOT be supporting Samsung Pay. I hope I am wrong but that seems to be where they are heading. If it were not for the coverage and my unlimited plan I would be gone already. ATT coverage is close to Verizon. I use about 15 - 25 GB per month. When I travel my phone becomes my entertainment system. In the past I could hook up the Note 3 MHL line to a hotel TV and enjoy all my programs via DishAnywhere. The closest I could get to unlimited for me was ATT 25GB plan with rollover. It would cost me less than $20 per month to switch and get the added convenience of free financing. So there is a decision to be made. I will probably stay with Verizon as the wife does not like change. (been with Verizon for over 10 years). Still I have until the end of the day to return the phone to Best buy and get my money back.
    Ah... got it... Given the thread that you are posting in, I guess I should have concluded as such...

I have also been a Verizon customer for years (since 1992 when the local carrier was called "GTE Mobilenet" which was eventually acquired by Verizon... So that's 23 years... I am obviously not going anywhere anytime soon

Yes...it does frustrate me that Verizon seems inclined to keep us away from features and services like Samsung Pay... But I am not willing to increase my monthly recurring charges significantly to access those services... I am going to hope that Verizon falls under pressure to make these services available... It's all very frustrating...but none of these services are "must haves" for me...
    09-03-2015 10:26 AM
    Ok, just placed a second call to VZW to verify whether or not the above info is correct. This time I had the call escalated from the first tier support. I was assured again that Samsung Pay will be allowed to operate on the VZW network as soon as the phone is updated by Samsung with the firmware necessary. They asked where I got this information and told them it was on sammobile.com and they said they will contacting them to fix this as the info is not true. I will just wait a few days to see if sammobile updates their article or makes a correction.
    Good to hear. Let's see if it sticks

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-03-2015 12:00 PM
    So I contacted Samsung about this issue. This is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Samsung Technical Support. We always appreciate hearing from our customers.

After reviewing your e-mail, I understand how inconvenient this could be as the Verizon carrier is not supported with the Samsung pay app. We understand how you feel.

We know how important the Samsung pay app is to you.

As of now conversations with Verizon Wireless are continuing. Once if there is any updates it will be posted on our web-site, please keep checking the web-site periodically for any such updates.

Please visit Samsung.com/SamsungPay for future updates on supported devices and payment cards.

For further assistance you may contact Verizon support team, you may contact Verizon support team at: 1-800-922-0204 1-888-294-6804 Monday-Sunday: 6 am-11 pm CST 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week

So lets mount a call in campaign and let Verizon know that we want Samsung Pay. Be polite but firm. Have your mother, father, brother, sister, daughter, son, significant other, insignificant other, friends, enemies, strangers, co-workers, the guy on the corner with his hand out, your favorite Deity, Yeti, Bigfoot, the aliens at Roswell, the man in the moon, and any other real or unreal entity call in and demand Samsung Pay. Maybe if we can flood their switch board with enough complaints something good might happen.

I recommend we start this campaign at tonight 09/03/2015 at 9:00 PM Eastern, 8:00 PM Central, 7:00 PM Mountain and 6:00PM Pacific time. A mass call in at the same time will get someone's attention.
    09-03-2015 02:41 PM
    This is what happens when you have an open OS. It's open for the device manufacturers and carriers to do as they wish before locking it up. Apple doesn't allow the carriers to mess with their devices which is why Apple Pay worked from launch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    09-03-2015 11:01 PM
    It appears that Verizon has leaked that Android Pay goes live September 16. But nothing about Samsung Pay. Rumors have said that Verizon would not support Samsung Pay in favor of Android Pay. It appears to b we true.

Posted using my Verizon crippled Note 5.
    09-04-2015 08:23 AM
    It appears that Verizon has leaked that Android Pay goes live September 16. But nothing about Samsung Pay. Rumors have said that Verizon would not support Samsung Pay in favor of Android Pay. It appears to b we true.

Booo! If that's the case I'm selling my new note 5 and switching over to AT&T
    09-04-2015 08:28 AM
    If magnetic secure transmission (MST) is a hardware feature of the Note5 and S6E+, and Android OS is open source, can't the benefits of LoopPay or MST be incorporated in to Android Pay?

I've been pondering if I'm really upset about Samsung Pay, and whether I really care if VZ is going to support it upon launch. I've used Google Wallet for NFC payments a few times, and just not sure if I care about Samsung Pay as much as the rest of you. I think it's a great technology (MST), but feel it may be outdated soon enough with the switch to EMV. Certainly their are benefits to Samsung Pay with MST technology, but its only available on a few devices. Moreover, Samsung only has 24% of worldwide market share, even less of a percentage that actually support MST.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating VZ's decision, I just wonder if Android Pay will eventually support MST, and lead to a broader consumer base than Samsung Pay.
    09-04-2015 10:19 AM
    Good point. Maybe that is what verizon is trying to do. Roll out their version of Android pay that incorporates the MST of Samsung Pay. Only have to get around some patent and copyright issues and Verizon has the resources to do that.

09-04-2015 10:35 AM
    Good point. Maybe that is what verizon is trying to do. Roll out their version of Android pay that incorporates the MST of Samsung Pay. Only have to get around some patent and copyright issues and Verizon has the resources to do that.

I doubt they are trying to roll out their own version of Android pay, they should just stay the heck away from Ventures in financial transactions, just look at the failed adventure with isis/softcard.

Perhaps it wasn't a fail, but seeings how Google acquired it, after the 3 major cell providers tried to do it on their own, led to a successful integration with google wallet and soon android pay.

This type of competition isn't necessarily healthy in the market of financial transactions, at least not from a customer viewpoint or VOC. In fact, screw apple pay too and Samsung pay for making the market such a worthless competition that doesn't bring customer satisfaction.

Also, if the hardware is already there, do they really need permission to actually make use of it? Speaking in terms of MST hardware, it just has to be ported to Android, which was part of LoopPay.
    09-04-2015 12:41 PM
    SAMSUNG: Since you want to be like Apple so much, please grow a pair and do what Apple is doing. Sell your phones direct to the consumer unlocked with all radios needed to work on every carrier. Motorola has even started to do that with the X PURE. Put what you want on your phones and tell Verizon and the rest of them to take a long walk on a short pier.
    You will quickly become a hero to the Android community. We are all tired of companies like Verizon messing around with phones. Removing key features and software or blocking services. We don't need and don't want their bloat ware. So please Samsung become a little more like Apple and tell Verizon they can stick their "Still evaluating" where the sun don't shine.

09-10-2015 05:14 PM
    You know, Verizon ADVERTISED this feature in these phones, so I don't see how they can not enable Samsung Pay. Wait...of course I see how they can do it -- they'll do it just like they did with Bluetooth, Google Maps, Google Wallet, video streaming, etc.
    09-10-2015 07:54 PM
    You know, Verizon ADVERTISED this feature in these phones, so I don't see how they can not enable Samsung Pay. Wait...of course I see how they can do it -- they'll do it just like they did with Bluetooth, Google Maps, Google Wallet, video streaming, etc.
    Please post a link. I never saw VZW advertise Samsung Pay.
    09-10-2015 07:57 PM
    Network coverage.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    The network alone is no longer a reason to keep a carrier. If they block your device usage and needs they no longer are the best IMO.
    09-10-2015 08:18 PM
    The difference between samsung pay and android pay(Google's new payment system inspite of having Google wallet) is that Samsung pay will be able to be used at 90% of merchants because of mst whereas android pay can only be used at nfc capable terminals. Samsung pay is the superior payment method with more advanced technology.
    Actually Samsung Pay is NOT the more advanced technology, they are using both legacy technology and newer NFC technology. It's not superior technology, it just supports the outgoing standard and as merchants replace their POS terminals Samsung Pay's advantages will be minimized since legacy won't be supported.

Android Pay is equal to Apple Pay in that they both use NFC, Samsung Pay is actually weaker in the long term since its only a Samsung compatible device payment system.
    09-10-2015 08:20 PM
    Actually Samsung Pay is NOT the more advanced technology, they are using both legacy technology and newer NFC technology. It's not superior technology, it just supports the outgoing standard and as merchants replace their POS terminals Samsung Pay's advantages will be minimized since legacy won't be supported.

Android Pay is equal to Apple Pay in that they both use NFC, Samsung Pay is actually weaker in the long term since its only a Samsung compatible device payment system.
    While I don't disagree that MST is an older technology, I really don't see it going away any time soon. Many merchants have already updated their terminals, and it has magstrip and EMV (chip) built in, and not NFC. VERIFONE devices are EMV compliant, and where they don't work with apple/android pay, they will work with Samsung Pay.

I see Samsung Pay as a much better transaction service over the others, because where EMV has been incorporated without NFC, it will allow MST transactions.
    09-10-2015 08:44 PM
    While I don't disagree that MST is an older technology, I really don't see it going away any time soon. Many merchants have already updated their terminals, and it has magstrip and EMV (chip) built in, and not NFC. VERIFONE devices are EMV compliant, and where they don't work with apple/android pay, they will work with Samsung Pay.

I see Samsung Pay as a much better transaction service over the others, because where EMV has been incorporated without NFC, it will allow MST transactions.
    Can someone explain the different terms being used here. I know NFC, but what is MST and EMW? I'm trying to understand the disadvantages of Android Pay, since that seems to be the only option for Verizon customers. I was really looking forward to Samsung Pay, but I never used any of the other services before and wouldn't know the difference. So what will I be missing by using Andorid Pay?
    09-10-2015 09:03 PM
    Cause stupid verizon has their own payment service, ISIS!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    No they don't they sold that to Google a long time ago...
    09-10-2015 09:12 PM
    Can someone explain the different terms being used here. I know NFC, but what is MST and EMW? I'm trying to understand the disadvantages of Android Pay, since that seems to be the only option for Verizon customers. I was really looking forward to Samsung Pay, but I never used any of the other services before and wouldn't know the difference. So what will I be missing by using Andorid Pay?
    NFC = Near Field Communication
    MST = Magnetic Secure Transmission
    EMV = Europay, Mastercard, Visa

NFC is the wireless tap and pay feature used by Google Wallet, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay. Quite possibly PayPal in a few months.
    MST is the technology that allows the Samsung devices to be utilized at legacy card readers.
    EMV is the chip built in to new credit cards. I believe all credit cards have to be switched by Oct 1st, or at least their is some fraud protection, and who bears the cost of credit card fraud after oct 1st.

Hope that helps. BTW, I used Google Wallet for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and was impressed. The problem I have is that once you use it, you start to recognize all the places that don't have NFC devices, and even the places that have disabled the NFC on their readers. (Staples). That's where MST and Samsung Pay comes in to play, and why it really is a big deal.
    ctychick likes this.
    09-10-2015 09:12 PM
    Doesn't the unlimited plans have throttled down speeds? I thought I saw something when Sprint had their unlimited plans.

Posted from my Note 5 via the Android Central App
    No. They are not throttled.
    09-10-2015 09:17 PM
    I don't have a picture, but it was all over the in-store signage. I even discussed it with the sales people.
    09-11-2015 09:21 PM
95 ... 234