05-16-2016 09:21 AM
27 12
tools
    I have a few programs that I need a menu button to access extra settings. In the past I've been able to long press the recent apps button but with the N5 it brings up the split screen thing.

Probably an easy fix but it is eluding me today.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-19-2015 03:32 PM
    Try long press of the back button.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    dsignori likes this.
    08-19-2015 03:51 PM
    Really? These must be some seriously outdated apps. The menu button was dropped in kitkat, no?
    bhatech likes this.
    08-19-2015 03:55 PM
    So far I've only needed on my bank's outdated app. Like the original poster, I was long-pressing the recent apps but finally tried the back button and there it was.

08-19-2015 04:00 PM
    I'm not having any luck with long pressing the back button. It goes back. Odd. I have an app that I need to access the menu in.

Randy
    08-19-2015 04:50 PM
    So far I've only needed on my bank's outdated app. Like the original poster, I was long-pressing the recent apps but finally tried the back button and there it was.

I got fed up with my bank's garbage app and just loaded their online banking website in Chrome. It worked a lot better. Good luck....
    08-19-2015 04:54 PM
    Try long press of the back button.

Thanks. I was looking for it too. I use a few older apps that need this. Thanks!
    08-19-2015 05:08 PM
    The app in question is Touchdown email client. It's my corporate email client.

I've tried long back press and it works in other programs just not this one. Maybe it's something the developer will have to look at.

08-19-2015 07:16 PM
    I am running into the same issue. I contacted Samsung. The connected to my phone and using their remote software made the menu appear in the app. They could not figure out why it won't work from the phone. They think it's a bug
    08-19-2015 11:05 PM
    I have a few programs that I need a menu button to access extra settings. In the past I've been able to long press the recent apps button but with the N5 it brings up the split screen thing.

Probably an easy fix but it is eluding me today.

I am having issues with the lack of a menu button as well. It used to be that when you were writing a text, you could press the menu button and set a later time for the message to be sent. How do I do that now?
    I'm really missing that button for several reasons.
    08-20-2015 12:23 PM
    Just ran into this issue too. I can confirm long press of the back button does trigger the "hardware menu button" but that on some apps (or devices?), long-pressing the back button just closes the app or goes back to a previous screen. I made an account here to share a workaround:

In device Settings: Personal > Lock screen and security > Other security settings > Pin windows - turn this feature on. Now, open the app in question, and press the recent apps button and drag the current app up a bit, now that app pinning is enabled, there should be a thumb tack icon on bottom right of the app "card" - tap it to pin the app. You'll be prompted; tap START. The app is now pinned, and the back button will not be allowed to back out of the app (if it still page transitions, this method may not work for you). Long press the back button for the menu. Long press the recent app button to unpin the app.

Cheers.
    08-23-2015 09:05 AM
    I'm having the same issue when using the Touchdown app. If you hear anything from Symantec, can you please let me know.

Thanks
    08-24-2015 05:26 AM
    So on the Note 5 they switched the button functionality:
    Long press back button = menu
    Long press recent apps = multi window
    Right?
    08-24-2015 05:56 AM
    The work around that worked for me was this: settings, personal, accessibility, dexterity and interaction, assistant menu, turn it on and while in the app needing the menu, press the assistant button, scroll to the more options button and that will bring up the menu.
    jfoofoo, Sudd Dongre and amysuse like this.
    08-24-2015 06:20 AM
    For these older apps that you are unable to access the in app menu. You can enable a soft menu button by doing the following: Settings>Accessibility>Dexterity and Interaction>Assistant Menu

This will give you a set of soft buttons, one of which is "More Options" or Menu essentially.

NEVER MIND.. I see Specularius already posted it.
    08-30-2015 09:46 PM
    You can also hold down the BACK button.
    08-30-2015 09:55 PM
    Please uninstall that outdated app

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-30-2015 10:02 PM
    Thank you that fixed my problem. =-)
    09-25-2015 02:12 PM
    Thanks you save my day, keep up the good work.
    cheers.
    11-11-2015 04:45 AM
    I just bought the Galaxy S5 Neo and this menu thing was really annoying me mainly as I use an important app which is outdated and has no 'menu' button on the screen. I spent like 2 hours trying to discover a solution and finally come up with the following:

Go to: Settings / Personal / Accessibility / Dexterity and interaction and press 'Assistant Menu'. Enable this function and a separate button will appear on the screen (all the time) but with it you can access those 'hidden' menu functions.

Hope it helps!
    12-20-2015 04:17 AM
    Thanks for this, I was having issues with the Touchdown also. It works!
    02-01-2016 02:16 AM
    I just bought the Galaxy S5 Neo and this menu thing was really annoying me mainly as I use an important app which is outdated and has no 'menu' button on the screen. I spent like 2 hours trying to discover a solution and finally come up with the following:

Go to: Settings / Personal / Accessibility / Dexterity and interaction and press 'Assistant Menu'. Enable this function and a separate button will appear on the screen (all the time) but with it you can access those 'hidden' menu functions.

Hope it helps!
    02-17-2016 09:16 AM
    Yea to BrandonS8 that totally fixed it the only thing is you go to your app settings then system, accessability and then dexterity interaction... I mean I can catch on and figure out what you were saying. But I clarified for those that might need exact steps/directions***!!!*** thanx again though much appreciated
    02-17-2016 09:29 AM
    Thank you! A perfect solution for the Galaxy S7 running 6.0.1 and one app I paid for that hasn't been updated since 2011. Fuel Log Pro. The developer's Twitter account fell silent in early 2012, https://twitter.com/fuellogandroid, so I can only hope that doesn't mean the worst, but I won't go expecting any updates.
    Once exported from the old and imported to the new, the menu is pretty much unnecessary on a tank-to-tank basis.
    03-23-2016 07:44 PM
    i had this problem with my ZenFone 2 bcz long pressing the recent apps was making a screenshot, so i disabled the screenshot Settings->(Personal) Screenshot->Recent apps key OFF. than long pressing the recent app key is the menu key. Hope it helps
    04-06-2016 04:42 AM
27 12