08-26-2015 08:24 AM
132 1234 ...
tools
    This is Android Central. Probably the biggest Android forum.
    Of course everyone, and I mean everyone, will start to put the pen in the wrong way during two years of use.

Even if we put the word out to make it a practice to feel or look for the nib end first, at least some will be saved! (Oh.. the HORROR!)

Seriously Android Central should find a way of alerting owners, before this thread gets swamped with "it would never happen to me because I'm not dumb" comments.

(I don't have one btw, can't get one here).

There was a very long thread about self - cracking Samsung screens. That was another design flaw in the majority of cases, imo.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=330684
    FrogVomit likes this.
    08-24-2015 08:25 AM
    This isn't a design flaw, just don't put the spen in the wrong way. Also on other fronts, don't take a hammer to your screen, do not intentionally drop your S5 in water, etc and the list goes on and on for what people have done to their phones.

If you think it is a design flaw, I suggest you call Samsung.
    08-24-2015 08:55 AM
    This isn't a design flaw, just don't out the spen in the wrong way. Also on other fronts, don't take a hammer to your screen, do not intentionally drop your S5 in water, etc and the list goes on and on for what people have done to their phones.

If you think it is a design flaw, I suggest you call Samsung.
    I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "design flaw". Reiterating my earlier example, if the phone had a feature where holding down the power button for 5 seconds would wipe the memory clean without warning, would you consider that a design flaw? Just don't hold the power button down for that long and you'll be fine, so, not a design flaw?

The design allows the pen to be easily inserted backwards, and not removed. It could easily have been designed to not allow this, but wasn't. Design flaw. Period.

At the very least, there needs to be a warning label, because it is not common sense to expect that this very simple and seemingly harmless action causes damage.
    08-24-2015 09:03 AM
    I do understand the meaning. I can hear the scraping noise and feel the difference the second the wrong end goes in. I can hear the noise over the TV.

None of us work for Samsung. As I said, if you think it is a design flaw, you should call Samsung.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    08-24-2015 09:10 AM
    I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "design flaw". Reiterating my earlier example, if the phone had a feature where holding down the power button for 5 seconds would wipe the memory clean without warning, would you consider that a design flaw? Just don't hold the power button down for that long and you'll be fine, so, not a design flaw?

The design allows the pen to be easily inserted backwards, and not removed. It could easily have been designed to not allow this, but wasn't. Design flaw. Period.

At the very least, there needs to be a warning label, because it is not common sense to expect that this very simple and seemingly harmless action causes damage.
    All true.

I wouldn't bother arguing with the nay sayers, even against a site ambassador.

Ultimately this thread was to alert people who would appreciate the warning, and demonstrate the damage this will cause to the device.

While I also love the opportunities for humor this thread can generate, I have a feeling this thread will see me despair again of the abusive comments it will generate, and I will give up on Android Central.
    We are supposed to be a helping community, and if a site ambassador can put down an OP iike this, I'm out.

If it were me I would let them run with it, but that's been my experience.

Thanks for the thread. Sorry about what happened.

The problem is the little switch inside the pen silo. It sits about an inch and a half down the well on the left side of the silo if you're looking at the screen. It tells the phone that the pen has been removed. It rotates up when the pen slides in, but when the pen is out is sticks out kinda like this / . When the pen is put in backwards the / part acts like the zippy part of a zip tie against the clicky part of the pen. I tried to slide a thin piece of paper between the pen and the phone to try to push the lever out of the way, but there's really not a lot of extra space there. I think you're stuck with having to pay the deductible. If the pen is forced out it will break this switch, after that the phone won't know the pen has been removed/replaced. You'll lose the quick note feature and the little round pen icon will always be visible on the screen.

You might be able to use some thin plastic. Something like they use to shrink wrap an item to a cardboard backer. Cut it a couple inches long by maybe a quarter inch wide. Wrap it around the side of the pen that faces the phone and try to slide it in the hole. You might be able to push it in with the pen, slide them both in a bit, pull the pen back out till it stops and push in again. If the plastic slides in, it will eventually push the switch out of the way and allow the pen to slide out.
    Thanks for the great info.
    I guess it would only click past that point when it's fully in (steady people!) and you press against the release spring, as I understand it.

Please DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.

These are TRAINED PROFESSIONALS!
    08-24-2015 09:33 AM
    I do understand the meaning. I can hear the scraping noise and feel the difference the second the wrong end goes in. I can hear the noise over the TV.

None of us work for Samsung. As I said, if you think it is a design flaw, you should call Samsung.
    Or alert people with a thread on the biggest Android forum.
    08-24-2015 09:40 AM
    Funny analogy jmy, but if you do that, they either will tell you to stop or continue, and there will be no permanent physical damage, unlike this silent click of death.

The bottom line to me is that it should not be this easy to damage your device. I can imagine kids running around phone stores doing this to all the Note 5s on display, once they know about this "vulnerability".

If this happens to you please speak up. That's the only way to get Samsung to listen and fix the issue or make future versions better.

For what it's worth I will try to give Verizon/Samsung a call and see what they say.
    mavrrick and anon8380037 like this.
    08-24-2015 10:04 AM
    In all seriousness, I can see this blowing up big and getting some press. And I do think Samsung QA department failed on this one. It should have been caught and prevented, never seen the light of day to the public.

I feel bad for those that have accidentally done this and ruined their S Pen. But, in the 10 months of having my Note 4, I've never put in in backwards.

In the long run, your phone still works and you just need to buy another $40 to $50 S Pen (or other brand) AND carry it around separately. A big inconvenience, to be sure, but everything still functions. I can see case makers jumping on this new "Stuck S Pen" market and making a phone case that has a separate S Pen slot.

This is Samsung's version of "antennagate":
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...71131458273498

And "bendgate":
    http://www.networkworld.com/article/...-bendgate.html

I guess we can use this thread to come up with creative names for this new "watergate" issue. So, here's mine:

stuckpengate

Not very creative. I tried.
    anon8380037 and GalaticBoar like this.
    08-24-2015 10:45 AM
    Called Verizon. Verizon said to call Samsung. I called Samsung and described the situation. They said since it's a hardware issue under warranty, they will repair it for free. They are sending me a shipping label. Turn around time is about 1.5 weeks.

So I guess this is good news. BUT PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS if this didn't happen to you. If enough people call in with this problem, I am afraid Samsung may decide to say enough and stop offering free repairs.
    mavrrick and anon8380037 like this.
    08-24-2015 10:46 AM
    Called Verizon. Verizon said to call Samsung. I called Samsung and described the situation. They said since it's a hardware issue under warranty, they will repair it for free. They are sending me a shipping label. Turn around time is about 1.5 weeks.

So I guess this is good news. BUT PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS if this didn't happen to you. If enough people call in with this problem, I am afraid Samsung may decide to say enough and stop offering free repairs.
    That's awesome. Good for you.
    GalaticBoar likes this.
    08-24-2015 10:48 AM

This is good news. Hopefully this thread will get the word out so folks are more cautious. It really is a shame as it would have been so easy to prevent if caught in the design phase. The first 3 notes didn't seem to have this issue. The 4th did apparently, but wasn't a big problem since it didn't have the click button.

I think the big thing here is the adults that buy the phone won't be the source of most of the replacements. I think the majority will be when their kids get ahold of the phone and do it.

It is funny to hear people talk about common sense. I talk to my daughter frequently about how common sense realliy isn't all that common. After all if it was why would we ever bring it up.

Posted via the Android Central App
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-24-2015 11:22 AM

Good point about possible deliberate abuse making it harder to make a legitimate claim before they close the door. I shouldn't mention it further really!

Nice work. I hope others here take your lead.

10 days or so is a pain to wait, but it's a result.
    08-24-2015 11:57 AM
    I say it is a design flaw. Yes, you can sit here all day and call people stupid for putting the pen in the wrong way, until one day you're in a hurry and it happens to you...

People will need to be careful, but yes it shouldn't be this easy to permanently damage your phone. just my .02
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-24-2015 12:24 PM
    Mod Note - Let's stay away from trolling please.

Thanks.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-24-2015 12:46 PM
    Early Note devices had an S-Pen where the end had a little edge on it with a slant (see pic below) where it could only be inserted one way (edge had to be pointed to the back of the device). People complained about it wanting the ability to put the S-Pen in either way. So with the Note 3 they re-designed it removing the edge on the end. Obviously that opened up the possibility of inserting it backend first. But IMHO, it is easily avoidable with a little attention to which end you're about to put in!

Don't put your pen in backwards!-1-spen-1.jpg
    tadpoles likes this.
    08-24-2015 01:06 PM
    So just like "bendgate" take personal responsibility for your 800+ dollar device and treat it with respect and awareness. We can't put labels on everything.

Sent from my sexy Note 5 beast
    08-24-2015 01:35 PM
    I can hear the scraping noise and feel the difference the second the wrong end goes in.
    If this truly is the case, then I would agree it isn't a design flaw.
    08-24-2015 01:44 PM
    Early Note devices had an S-Pen where the end had a little edge on it with a slant (see pic below) where it could only be inserted one way (edge had to be pointed to the back of the device). People complained about it wanting the ability to put the S-Pen in either way. So with the Note 3 they re-designed it removing the edge on the end. Obviously that opened up the possibility of inserting it backend first. But IMHO, it is easily avoidable with a little attention to which end you're about to put in!
    What's avoidable with constant vigilance and attention?
    If the danger doesn't exist there's nothing to avoid.
    08-24-2015 01:54 PM
    What wording did you use when you called? When I called Samsung, they told me that it would cost money to repair it.
    08-24-2015 02:13 PM
    The bottom line to me is that it should not be this easy to damage your device. I can imagine kids running around phone stores doing this to all the Note 5s on display, once they know about this "vulnerability".

If this happens to you please speak up. That's the only way to get Samsung to listen and fix the issue or make future versions better.
    The T-Mobile store I went to took out the Spen after I got there, just in case. They've been known to "walk off". But it could still happen with others trying out the phone and not realizing. I had never used a note before so it might not have occurred to me and done by accident. I'm glad I saw this thread.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-24-2015 02:17 PM

What wording did you use when you called? When I spoke with Samsung they told me it would cost money to repair it.
    08-24-2015 02:19 PM
    What's avoidable with constant vigilance and attention?
    If the danger doesn't exist there's nothing to avoid.
    Haha, life is fraught with it. I was trying to be tactful with my previous post, but to be honest I think Forest Gump and Ron White had the best expressions on the topic...
    08-24-2015 02:25 PM
    What wording did you use when you called? When I spoke with Samsung they told me it would cost money to repair it.
    I specifically said that there was nothing in the manual, on the device, or the pen itself saying you are not supposed to insert it the other way. I said it should have something to prevent inserting the wrong way. I also said previous Note devices didn't have this problem.

I guess it depends on who you talk to also.
    08-24-2015 02:31 PM
    If this truly is the case, then I would agree it isn't a design flaw.
    I am not sure what Kelly Kearns was describing. For me it went in very smoothly. There may have been a little bit of resistance when the clicker met the notch but it only took a tiny bit of force to push it over.

I made a video to demonstrate. Obviously my pen doesn't have the clicker anymore so I am not sure how realistic of a demonstration this is... but I believe the clicker and the middle part of the pen have very similar rectangular dimensions. I cannot post links but if you go to YouTube and search for "Galaxy Note 5 - S Pen sliding in backwards on gravity alone" you will find my video.
    anon8380037 and KillerNut like this.
    08-24-2015 02:36 PM
    [Inappropriate attacks on ambassadors removed by moderators]

Anyways, this is going to be a common issue popping up for sure, 2 days in and I already have seen a bunch of users with this problem. It is simply a bad design and it is quite easy to ruin your 50$ s-pen with this problem. There is no reason they should have designed it in the matter. The button tip should be bigger than the hole and there should be an area in the casing machined out slightly bigger to allow it to sit flush. It will be an easy revision if they choose to do it, otherwise I foresee some social media anger in the not too distant future, if the Note 5 Active doesn't quickly overshadow this model.

This major problem is that the S-pen clicker gets stuck in the holster port after you extract it after putting it in backwards. Inside the holster port is little catches that normally keep the s-pen in place, when the clicker button engages this it becomes stuck to the point where it can pop off the s-pen when extracting it. The good news is that the button can be extracted, you have to build a tool to do so.

The tool you need a long, thin rod with a small barb on the end of it. You insert this tool into the space between the button body and the holster port walls, you twist it in so the barbed hook engages the button body then you pull. Eventually you can work the button out.

You can build this tool from a relatively thick paper clip. Straighten the paper clip out, bend one side into a handle and the other side into a small hook. Use a pair of wire cutters to cut the hook into a small sharp point. When using this extraction tool you make need to utilize a small pair of pliers on the handle to get enough force both when twisting and when pulling out.

Let me be clear, I have no idea if this make cause damage to the internals of the holster port, but it beats sending it out for warranty with a button stuck inside it. Once replacement Note-5 S-pens are out I'll test to see if there is any damage. I may try to repair my s-pen with a small bit of epoxy on the button mating nib. But I'll do some testing before I try to stick it back inside (in the correct orientation).

[unauthorized links and/or images removed by moderators]

Finally, here is that little bugger extracted. Like I said, I'm going to see if I can reuse it.

Thank you guys, hope this helps some of you.
    GalaticBoar likes this.
    08-24-2015 03:15 PM
132 1234 ...