Don't put your pen in backwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank You, Phil!

Positive action at work.

It's possible, and it's unfair, that's all we're sayin'.

The little people are listened to. :)

Galaxy Note 5 pro tip: Insert the S Pen pointy end first | Android Central

----

Added: GalaticBoar's vid

I'm done.

I'm still at work and phones are not allowed inside the office building. My Note 4 is still
in my car.

I've had three Note phones. (2, 3, 4) While I've never attempted it, I was always under
the impression that it was not possible to stick the S-pens in backward. The top part
was bigger than then hole.

Has this changed with the Note 5. I didn't notice it the two times that I played with it.

Will try the Note 4 when I get out of work. Guess I'll also have to pull out my old
Note 2 and Note 3 when I get home and try them as well!

I fly a quite a bit. Probably around 80k miles per year, almost all on TATL flights,
which means half of them are overnight flights. I do use my Note phones onboard
all the time, in total darkness and yet I dont' recall every trying to stick the S-pen
back inside backwards..... but who knows.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm still at work and phones are not allowed inside the office building. My Note 4 is still
in my car.

I've had three Note phones. (2, 3, 4) While I've never attempted it, I was always under
the impression that it was not possible to stick the S-pens in backward. The top part

Has this changed with the Note 5. I didn't notice it the two times that I played with it.

Will try the Note 4 when I get out of work. Guess I'll also have to pull out my old

I fly a quite a bit. Probably around 80k miles per year, almost all on TATL flights,
all the time, in total darkness and yet I dont' recall every trying to stick the S-pen

I had a Note 3 and no you couldn't put it in backwards. That's the point. I assume the Note 4 is like the 3. Watch the video above, taken after the retainer was broken I think, so it may fall in further first time, I don't know. Best to read the early posts.

I think if you had the pen still in your hand, you are not going to put it back incorrectly. If they're both lying on a car/plane seat, say, and you suddenly have to go and so just grab them - I don't think that makes you a berk for putting it back by feel alone.

Now I'm definitely done on this thread.
I had no business here anyway, :D - but it's very like the unkind banter from the Note 3 cracked screen thread last year, as mentioned.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
in my car.

Note 4 will go in backwards also.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note 3 and no you couldn't put it in backwards. That's the point. I assume the Note 4 is like the 3. Watch the video above, taken after the retainer was broken I think, so it may fall in further first time, I don't know. Best to read the early posts.

I think if you had the pen still in your hand, you are not going to put it back incorrectly. If they're both lying on a car/plane seat, say, and you suddenly have to go and so just grab them - I don't think that makes you a berk for putting it back by feel alone.

Now I'm definitely done on this thread.
I had no business here anyway, :D - but it's very like the unkind banter from the Note 3 cracked screen thread last year, as mentioned.

When I fly on overnight flights, I sometimes leave my Note 2, 3, and
now 4 on the tray table, along with the S-pen. I never had a problem
putting the S-pen back in, even in total darkness.

Like I said, I need to test my old Note 2 & 3, as well my Note 4, as
soon as I get out of work. However, I don't believe it's possible to
insert the S-pen backwards because the hole or the pen has a
certain shape that prevents it.

Assuming Samsung did change the shape of the hole and the pen,
making it possible to insert it backwards, I do think it's a design flaw.
The user deserves 50% of the blame, while Samsung deserve the
other 50% of the blame. Why has this S-Pen-gate
not made it to CNN yet? If Apple made this kind of "mistake" with
new iPhones, it would have been on the news faster than the stock
market crashing today. :(

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Slight humorous situation from years ago, that this thread reminded me of....

My sister notices that her daughter, my niece, keeps fidgeting with her nose, while in the car. My niece was about two years old at the time.

My sister asks her what's wrong, and Caroline, my neice, says that a crayon got stuck, and she can't get it out!

Yup... she STUCK a crayon UP HER NOSE!

They tried and tried, but after about 45 minutes, they finally had to take her to the hospital, where the crayon was removed.

When asked by my sister why she stuck a crayon up her nose, Caroline replied..."it was hungry". (I have NO idea what that even means!)

Footnote: Caroline is now a sophomore at Yale.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
The Note 4 will go in backwards. I don't still have my other Notes to try them.

Just got home... pulled out the Note 2 from the bottom drawer. Wow... I have not
used it in almost 2 years, yet the phone just powered on immediately and showing
87% battery life. Anyway, it is physically IMPOSSIBLE to insert the Note 2's S-Pen
backwards. It can only go in one-way AND only when the correct side is facing up.

Guess Samsung engineers changed it for subsequent Note phone.(including the
most recent Note 5)

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys, I do agree and to an extent think Samsung should have put a system in place to taper the portion that holds the pen or a system that stops it half say, but seriously, I get it is possible to accidentally put it in backwards but people need to take a little responsibility for their actions here as well, the fault is not entirely on Samsung.

That's like saying every car accident is the fault of the manufacturer cause they built a car than can crash into things.

If you use it improperly, expect unintended results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I get it is possible to accidentally put it in backwards but people need to take a little responsibility for their actions here as well, the fault is not entirely on Samsung.

OK... this is correct. Yes, people make mistakes. But my real issue here isn't so much that people aren't responsible for their actions, my issue is that I look at this as a situation that is 100% avoidable on the part of Samsung. Let's first dispell the notion that they weren't aware that inserting the pen backwards breaks whatever mechanism detects that the pen is inserted. It is an impossible scenario.

"Hey, the phone breaks if I throw it into a pool... design flaw."

Yes, your phone would most likely get messed up if you chuck it into a pond. But one of the phone's main functions doesn't involve it being thrown over a body of water. Here, a stylus is getting inserted into port that was designed around said stylus. Anyone with a Note will do it countless times over and over. If, by some accident, it gets put in backwards, you are SOL. Maybe you aren't paying attention, maybe your kids are fighting and you are distracted... whatever the case may be... the simple act of sliding the pen home causes it to break. Not jamming it in, or torquing it, just inserting it in backwards. Is it a mistake on the part of the user? Yes. Is it a case of gross negligence? No.

People aren't perfect. We all make mistakes. Like I mentioned before, I've been in software development for a LOOONG time, mostly doing quality assurance. Every company I work for spends time and effort testing negative path testing... What if the user clicks the wrong button at the wrong time? What if they navigate off this window when they shouldn't? Software, electronics, appliances, you name it, they all have design elements whose sole purpose is to make your life easier and give you a reasonable margin for error. Putting in a DVD upside down doesn't break the player. Accidently putting in the wrong key into (not jamming the thing in) your door, or car ignition, doesn't break the lock.. That little pop up window that asks "Are you sure?". I could list instances of such design choices all day long. Did the manufacturer have to make all these design changes? Nope. But they still make them.

It's called due dilligence. And I just can't see that Samsung did that here. They could have easily reduced, if not completely eliminated the chance that permanent damage to the phone would occur if the S-Pen was inserted backwards. But they choose not to, for whatever reason.

So yes, we can all make jokes about how stupid someone is for what amounts to a simple, honest mistake. My first reaction was pretty much that.. but as I thought about it, my opinion changed. Samsung made a poor choice here, in that I am sure. But this story will be blown out of proportion and made into something far worse than it actually is. To the people who saw the story and busted their Notes after they tried it for themselves... well.... OK, that's just being stupid and it is your own fault.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I did agree there should be a preventative method to avoid such an issue, non jokes were being made, but at the same time exercising a little caution and common sense goes a long a way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
OK... this is correct. Yes, people make mistakes. But my real issue here isn't so much that people aren't responsible for their actions, my issue is that I look at this as a situation that is 100% avoidable on the part of Samsung. .

they must have known that it was a possibility back when they designed the old Note 2. There's no way to insert it backwards in the Note 2. After that, they probably thought it was pointless and figured nobody was inserting the pens backwards, so they changed it after the Note 3, 4, and now 5.

if Samsung changes the design again for the Note 6 and make it impossible to insert the S-Pen backwards, I guess that's as good as admitting they made mistake for the Note 4 and 5? :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
if Samsung changes the design again for the Note 6 and make it impossible to insert the S-Pen backwards, I guess that's as good as admitting they made mistake for the Note 4 and 5? :)

Well... It will at least point to them acknowledging that it was something that needed addressing. Sort of like all the rumors that Apple is using a stronger aluminum and reinforcing the frame around the volume buttons on the upcoming 'S' refresh. But I would guess that you'll never actually hear Samsung say "OK, we could have designed this better in the first place."

But let the tech press have their fun for a bit... until they find some other shiny object to get distracted by.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have to say Android Central High Command's response to this was very wishy-washy and poor for members with what IS and will prove to be a Recall Level Event (get it).

I think the editor was afraid of inviting extra ridicule with that blog, and didn't steady the ship in the comments section. Well at least they were monitoring the thread.

The Android Police (who I virtually never heard of) put it out more professionally and did a proper video several hours ago.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...en-inserted-backward-or-get-hopelessly-stuck/

I would suggest anyone who kept a Note 5 for 12 months and were not made aware of this would undoubtedly have come unstuck, unless they lived a very regular methodical existence in the same day to day surroundings.

It probably will be more cost effective to handle claims, and issue warning stickers for unsold stock and so deny responsibility for those in the future.
Or issue a rubber cap thing for the pen until they can re-tool.

vailmc1

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
OK... this is correct. Yes, people make mistakes. But my real issue here isn't so much that people aren't responsible for their actions, my issue is that I look at this as a situation that is 100% avoidable on the part of Samsung. Let's first dispell the notion that they weren't aware that inserting the pen backwards breaks whatever mechanism detects that the pen is inserted. It is an impossible scenario.

"Hey, the phone breaks if I throw it into a pool... design flaw."

Yes, your phone would most likely get messed up if you chuck it into a pond. But one of the phone's main functions doesn't involve it being thrown over a body of water. Here, a stylus is getting inserted into port that was designed around said stylus. Anyone with a Note will do it countless times over and over. If, by some accident, it gets put in backwards, you are SOL. Maybe you aren't paying attention, maybe your kids are fighting and you are distracted... whatever the case may be... the simple act of sliding the pen home causes it to break. Not jamming it in, or torquing it, just inserting it in backwards. Is it a mistake on the part of the user? Yes. Is it a case of gross negligence? No.

People aren't perfect. We all make mistakes. Like I mentioned before, I've been in software development for a LOOONG time, mostly doing quality assurance. Every company I work for spends time and effort testing negative path testing... What if the user clicks the wrong button at the wrong time? What if they navigate off this window when they shouldn't? Software, electronics, appliances, you name it, they all have design elements whose sole purpose is to make your life easier and give you a reasonable margin for error. Putting in a DVD upside down doesn't break the player. Accidently putting in the wrong key into (not jamming the thing in) your door, or car ignition, doesn't break the lock.. That little pop up window that asks "Are you sure?". I could list instances of such design choices all day long. Did the manufacturer have to make all these design changes? Nope. But they still make them.

It's called due dilligence. And I just can't see that Samsung did that here. They could have easily reduced, if not completely eliminated the chance that permanent damage to the phone would occur if the S-Pen was inserted backwards. But they choose not to, for whatever reason.

So yes, we can all make jokes about how stupid someone is for what amounts to a simple, honest mistake. My first reaction was pretty much that.. but as I thought about it, my opinion changed. Samsung made a poor choice here, in that I am sure. But this story will be blown out of proportion and made into something far worse than it actually is. To the people who saw the story and busted their Notes after they tried it for themselves... well.... OK, that's just being stupid and it is your own fault.

Amen brotha!

GalaticBoar

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Apple Marketing Dept has a great opportunity to do a "Can your phone do this?" ad poking fun at this situation. So much potential for a hilarious ad.

Love my Galaxy Note 5 by the way and dreading having to send it in for repairs. Yes I was stupid for doing it. Hoping Samsung can address this.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Well... It will at least point to them acknowledging that it was something that needed addressing. Sort of like all the rumors that Apple is using a stronger aluminum and reinforcing the frame around the volume buttons on the upcoming 'S' refresh. But I would guess that you'll never actually hear Samsung say "OK, we could have designed this better in the first place."

But let the tech press have their fun for a bit... until they find some other shiny object to get distracted by.

Is it wrong that I want to go back to the Samsung display area inside
Best Buy and try it myself? (inserting S-Pen backwards into a Note 5)

I think the most important question is this: will Samsung repair stuck
pens under warranty? (or will Asurion or SquareTrade cover it)

Status
Not open for further replies.