08-26-2015 08:24 AM
132 ... 23456
tools
    I have to say Android Central High Command's response to this was very wishy-washy and poor for members with what IS and will prove to be a Recall Level Event (get it).

I think the editor was afraid of inviting extra ridicule with that blog, and didn't steady the ship in the comments section. Well at least they were monitoring the thread.

The Android Police (who I virtually never heard of) put it out more professionally and did a proper video several hours ago.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08...elessly-stuck/

I would suggest anyone who kept a Note 5 for 12 months and were not made aware of this would undoubtedly have come unstuck, unless they lived a very regular methodical existence in the same day to day surroundings.

It probably will be more cost effective to handle claims, and issue warning stickers for unsold stock and so deny responsibility for those in the future.
    Or issue a rubber cap thing for the pen until they can re-tool.
    08-25-2015 10:02 AM
    08-25-2015 10:03 AM
    OK... this is correct. Yes, people make mistakes. But my real issue here isn't so much that people aren't responsible for their actions, my issue is that I look at this as a situation that is 100% avoidable on the part of Samsung. Let's first dispell the notion that they weren't aware that inserting the pen backwards breaks whatever mechanism detects that the pen is inserted. It is an impossible scenario.

"Hey, the phone breaks if I throw it into a pool... design flaw."

Yes, your phone would most likely get messed up if you chuck it into a pond. But one of the phone's main functions doesn't involve it being thrown over a body of water. Here, a stylus is getting inserted into port that was designed around said stylus. Anyone with a Note will do it countless times over and over. If, by some accident, it gets put in backwards, you are SOL. Maybe you aren't paying attention, maybe your kids are fighting and you are distracted... whatever the case may be... the simple act of sliding the pen home causes it to break. Not jamming it in, or torquing it, just inserting it in backwards. Is it a mistake on the part of the user? Yes. Is it a case of gross negligence? No.

People aren't perfect. We all make mistakes. Like I mentioned before, I've been in software development for a LOOONG time, mostly doing quality assurance. Every company I work for spends time and effort testing negative path testing... What if the user clicks the wrong button at the wrong time? What if they navigate off this window when they shouldn't? Software, electronics, appliances, you name it, they all have design elements whose sole purpose is to make your life easier and give you a reasonable margin for error. Putting in a DVD upside down doesn't break the player. Accidently putting in the wrong key into (not jamming the thing in) your door, or car ignition, doesn't break the lock.. That little pop up window that asks "Are you sure?". I could list instances of such design choices all day long. Did the manufacturer have to make all these design changes? Nope. But they still make them.

It's called due dilligence. And I just can't see that Samsung did that here. They could have easily reduced, if not completely eliminated the chance that permanent damage to the phone would occur if the S-Pen was inserted backwards. But they choose not to, for whatever reason.

So yes, we can all make jokes about how stupid someone is for what amounts to a simple, honest mistake. My first reaction was pretty much that.. but as I thought about it, my opinion changed. Samsung made a poor choice here, in that I am sure. But this story will be blown out of proportion and made into something far worse than it actually is. To the people who saw the story and busted their Notes after they tried it for themselves... well.... OK, that's just being stupid and it is your own fault.
    Amen brotha!
    08-25-2015 10:10 AM
    Apple Marketing Dept has a great opportunity to do a "Can your phone do this?" ad poking fun at this situation. So much potential for a hilarious ad.

Love my Galaxy Note 5 by the way and dreading having to send it in for repairs. Yes I was stupid for doing it. Hoping Samsung can address this.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:14 AM
    Well... It will at least point to them acknowledging that it was something that needed addressing. Sort of like all the rumors that Apple is using a stronger aluminum and reinforcing the frame around the volume buttons on the upcoming 'S' refresh. But I would guess that you'll never actually hear Samsung say "OK, we could have designed this better in the first place."

But let the tech press have their fun for a bit... until they find some other shiny object to get distracted by.

Is it wrong that I want to go back to the Samsung display area inside
    Best Buy and try it myself? (inserting S-Pen backwards into a Note 5)

I think the most important question is this: will Samsung repair stuck
    pens under warranty? (or will Asurion or SquareTrade cover it)
    08-25-2015 10:16 AM
    I have to say Android Central High Command's response to this was very wishy-washy and poor for members with what IS and will prove to be a Recall Level Event (get it).

I think the editor was afraid of inviting extra ridicule with that blog, and didn't steady the ship in the comments section. Well at least they were monitoring the thread.

The Android Police (who I virtually never heard of) put it out more professionally and did a proper video several hours ago.

[Update: Samsung Statement] Probable Note 5 Design Flaw Can Cause S Pen To Break Pen Detection When Inserted Backward, Or Get Hopelessly Stuck

I would suggest anyone who kept a Note 5 for 12 months and were not made aware of this would undoubtedly have come unstuck, unless they lived a very regular methodical existence in the same day to day surroundings.

It probably will be more cost effective to handle claims, and issue warning stickers for unsold stock and so deny responsibility for those in the future.
    Or issue a rubber cap thing for the pen until they can re-tool.
    I think what you mean is Android Police put out an article played more to what you felt should be written, instead of actually what should be written.
    08-25-2015 10:17 AM
    From the manual:

This pretty much puts it squarely on the user - Sammy in this case DID warn consumers and that takes it off their shoulders.
    08-25-2015 10:20 AM
    From the manual:

http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-cont...8ACL_thumb.png

This pretty much puts it squarely on the user - Sammy in this case DID warn consumers and that takes it off their shoulders.
    So case closed?
    08-25-2015 10:21 AM
    Apple Marketing Dept has a great opportunity to do a "Can your phone do this?" ad poking fun at this situation. So much potential for a hilarious ad.
    I think Apple will stay FAAAAR away from this one. If they try to needle Samsung, it'll just blow back in their face. LG? Maybe... they've been a little bit cheeky lately.
    GalaticBoar likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:22 AM
    So case closed?
    Yeah, that's 100% of what they ought to do. Having that in there is pretty devastating to any "gate" argument. Now, could they have designed it better? I don't know, maybe. But given that they didn't, they did the next best thing, which was warn the user about the possibilities AND with images.
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:23 AM
    So case closed?
    Depends on how big the story gets. Right now, it sounds like Samsung is telling users that they broke it, they fix it. But if the story picks up a little bit of steam and Samsung starts taking heat, I would wager that they start accepting warranty claims on it.
    08-25-2015 10:24 AM
    Absolutely 100% user error. It says right in the user manual.

Caution: When you insert the S Pen into the slot, insert the S Penโ€™s nib first. Failure to do so can cause the S Pen to become stuck. Forcefully detaching the S Pen from the slot may cause damage to the S Pen and your device.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:24 AM
    It's fun reading this kind of story on my old Note 3!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"
    08-25-2015 10:29 AM
    Absolutely 100% user error. It says right in the user manual.

Caution: When you insert the S Pen into the slot, insert the S Penโ€™s nib first. Failure to do so can cause the S Pen to become stuck. Forcefully detaching the S Pen from the slot may cause damage to the S Pen and your device.

Right every user has no other work than read the user manual. Even knowing this there could be situation where your mind is on some thing else and put it in the wrong without knowing. It would have been great to prevent the pen from getting inserted the wrong way.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-25-2015 10:32 AM
    Right every user has no other work than read the user manual. Even knowing this there could be situation where your mind is on some thing else and put it in the wrong without knowing. It would have been great to prevent the pen from getting inserted the wrong way.

It'd definitely be better if it was physically prevented, but given that it is not - the next best thing that they can do is warn the user - which they did.
    VDub2174 likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:38 AM

Why is it too much to ask to read the book that tells you how to use a ~$800 piece of state of the art technology?
    08-25-2015 10:38 AM
    Where can I find this manual? The "manual" (Getting to Know Your Phone sheet) that did come with my phone has no such warning.

Anyway, this says Samsung did know about this! And they chose not to do anything other than stick a warning in a manual that most users will never read. Grrrr!
    bhatech and debdroid1a like this.
    08-25-2015 10:47 AM
    Why is it too much to ask to read the book that tells you how to use a ~$800 piece of state of the art technology?
    So everyone that had one or all previous Notes would religiously read that section in case the S-Pen is designed to get stuck this one time.

Samsung wrote that after the fact as a legal get out clause, but it's also admittance of a design flaw.
    bhatech likes this.
    08-25-2015 10:47 AM
    I don't think it is a design flaw. The S Pen was never meant to be put in backwards.
    That's like sticking a screwdriver in a wall socket and complaining that it was a design flaw.
    You're suppose to use common sense.
    Have you installed a wall socket recently? Tamper resistant outlets have been required in most states for at least five years, and they won't let you insert a screwdriver or other object into them. There are mechanical shutters that only slide away if the two prongs are inserted at the exact same time. Allowing someone to get electrocuted by accidentally sticking something into the slot was a design flaw.
    08-25-2015 10:49 AM
    It's fun reading this kind of story on my old Note 3!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"
    Exactly. A Note 3 that you can't put the pen I backwards even a few mm.

08-25-2015 10:57 AM
    Mod Note - Please remember to keep the discussion civil and on-topic. We do not need members going after each other. Thanks .
    VDub2174 and goin_nil like this.
    08-25-2015 11:33 AM
    As for the topic at hand .. I never put my S-Pen in the wrong way with my older Note Phones but I could see someone doing it in a rush. I hope Samsung fixes this for the next Note and that way we won't have the issue and all will be well .
    08-25-2015 11:34 AM
    As for the topic at hand .. I never put my S-Pen in the wrong way with my older Note Phones but I could see someone doing it in a rush. I hope Samsung fixes this for the next Note and that way we won't have the issue and all will be well .

I think it's unrealistic to expect Samsung to come up with a fix for
    the current Note 5. Best case scenario is that Samsung agree to
    replace damaged S-pens and fix any damages inside the hole,
    plus cover the shipping both ways. This should be limited to a
    one-time deal for every Note 5 owner.

If Note 5 owners join together and file a class action suit, no
    reasonable jury will be sympathetic to Samsung because
    Samsung clearly deserves partial blame in this case.

Now that I think about it, perhaps it's possible to come up
    with a fix. Just add a piece of plastic that's slightly larger
    than the entry of the hole. It will stick out of the phone a
    little bit, but at least it will prevent people from inserting
    the S-pen backward.
    08-25-2015 11:58 AM
    I think it's unrealistic to expect Samsung to come up with a fix for
    the current Note 5.
    I agree -- I said for the next Note .
    08-25-2015 12:02 PM
    I glad I did not get a Note 5 to try this. If I owned a Note 5 I would just take the stylus out and put it back into the box the phone came in. I would just use my own stylus.
    08-25-2015 12:25 PM
132 ... 23456