Don't put your pen in backwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Mere hours after getting my Note 5, I put the pen back in the hole without really looking at what I was doing, and stuck it in backwards. To my utter horror, I was then unable to extract it! I tried pushing, pulling, and wiggling it for several minutes without pulling too hard, and eventually it came out. BUT, my pen removal detection seems to have stopped working. Nothing happens when I pull the pen out anymore.

eclectic11

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Mere hours after getting my Note 5, I put the pen back in the hole without really looking at what I was doing, and stuck it in backwards. To my utter horror, I was then unable to extract it! I tried pushing, pulling, and wiggling it for several minutes without pulling too hard, and eventually it came out. BUT, my pen removal detection seems to have stopped working. Nothing happens when I pull the pen out anymore.

That's unfortunate. Is this your first Note device? Look on the bright side, this means that nothing else could possibly go wrong because you got it all out of the way right out of the gate.

Posted via the Android Central App

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just checked my pen and the button was faced down. I'm pretty sure I've put it in both ways but don't want to try now. I'm assuming the OP'S device was defective and I would be taking it back.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
No, he is saying he put it in clicker first instead of pen tip first. It doesn't matter if the button is facing up or down, I've done it both ways...

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is just be, but this is just one more design problem for it. You shouldn't be able to put it in that way if it creates a problem.

Did you have to force it in.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
There was no forcing whatsoever upon insertion. There was a wee bit of forcing (with just my two girly-man fingers) when trying to remove it, because it wouldn't effing come out! Whether it's a "design flaw" is debatable, but it's certainly not a good design. Maybe there was something slightly out of place inside my pen hole that caused it to catch ... anybody else care to give it a try? :D

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Just for giggles, I tried it with my 4. It fits. Before the pen goes all the way in, air command pops up. But I must say, even though it fit, it was apparent something wasnt right. It wasn't the normal smooth slide. Smh...can't believe I tried it. Albeit, carefully. Smh...

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The note 3 won't even let the pen star to go in. It is a design flaw because if it isn't intended to go that way there should be something keyed preventing it. Otherwise the result is things can potentially get broke. There are all kinds of tech out there that does this to prevent damage.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I am very surprised at this. My Note 3 pen was too big at the top if I remember.

There are going to be traumatic episodes for many if this is that easy to do.

Last edited:

invincible1914

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Please don't try it again. I literally went just past 3 inches and it got stuck. I tried it to see what froggie was talking bout..... :'( ...... I have to get my phone replaced now!!! I hate that even opened this thread! I wish I had just went to sleep instead of laying up playing with my phone. :mad: But on the positive note, we can still get our phones replaced (I hated to do it cause I work for Verizon and I'm not fond of dishonest customers but I told them that mine just stopped working.) I will never do that again.

GalaticBoar

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me too. I was able to pull it out with a lot of force but the top was left behind and now the S Pen is totally useless. Huge design flaw.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think this should be made a Stickie on the Note 5 forum, except I don't think many people look at Stickies especially from an app.
This sounds serious.
Waiting to hear Samsung say it's not covered under warranty.

Mike5567

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
The backwards pen of death got me too. I was watching a movie at home and accidentally put the pen in clicker side first. It goes in smooth but locks in there. I tried to wiggle it out and the clicker broke off inside the holster. This flaw seems like it could become a serious problem.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me too. I was able to pull it out with a lot of force but the top was left behind and now the S Pen is totally useless. Huge design flaw.

I don't think it is a design flaw. The S Pen was never meant to be put in backwards.
That's like sticking a screwdriver in a wall socket and complaining that it was a design flaw.
You're suppose to use common sense.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is a design flaw. The S Pen was never meant to be put in backwards.
That's like sticking a screwdriver in a wall socket and complaining that it was a design flaw.
You're suppose to use common sense.
Agreed 👍. If I'm not mistaken, isn't one end pointed and the other end flat? 😜
I agree it sucks for anyone that has done this. But, I think I might have kept that information to myself instead of admitting it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7