08-26-2015 08:24 AM
132 123 ...
tools
    Mere hours after getting my Note 5, I put the pen back in the hole without really looking at what I was doing, and stuck it in backwards. To my utter horror, I was then unable to extract it! I tried pushing, pulling, and wiggling it for several minutes without pulling too hard, and eventually it came out. BUT, my pen removal detection seems to have stopped working. Nothing happens when I pull the pen out anymore.
    08-20-2015 06:44 AM
    Mere hours after getting my Note 5, I put the pen back in the hole without really looking at what I was doing, and stuck it in backwards. To my utter horror, I was then unable to extract it! I tried pushing, pulling, and wiggling it for several minutes without pulling too hard, and eventually it came out. BUT, my pen removal detection seems to have stopped working. Nothing happens when I pull the pen out anymore.
    That's unfortunate. Is this your first Note device? Look on the bright side, this means that nothing else could possibly go wrong because you got it all out of the way right out of the gate.

Posted via the Android Central App
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-20-2015 06:51 AM
    There's a right orientation to put the s-pen in? Should the button be on top or on the bottom?
    08-20-2015 08:07 AM
    Just checked my pen and the button was faced down. I'm pretty sure I've put it in both ways but don't want to try now. I'm assuming the OP'S device was defective and I would be taking it back.

08-20-2015 08:22 AM
    No, he is saying he put it in clicker first instead of pen tip first. It doesn't matter if the button is facing up or down, I've done it both ways...
    mclarryjr likes this.
    08-20-2015 08:48 AM
    No, he is saying he put it in clicker first instead of pen tip first. It doesn't matter if the button is facing up or down, I've done it both ways...
    Exactly.
    08-20-2015 09:06 AM
    Maybe it is just be, but this is just one more design problem for it. You shouldn't be able to put it in that way if it creates a problem.

Did you have to force it in.

anon8380037 likes this.
    08-20-2015 10:06 AM
    Well, you're scaring me now!
    08-20-2015 10:12 AM
    Lol OK just making sure. It was pretty apparent which way it's supposed to go

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    08-20-2015 11:40 AM
    It seems like an odd thing to do but I guess you could have done it.
    08-20-2015 11:42 AM
    There was no forcing whatsoever upon insertion. There was a wee bit of forcing (with just my two girly-man fingers) when trying to remove it, because it wouldn't effing come out! Whether it's a "design flaw" is debatable, but it's certainly not a good design. Maybe there was something slightly out of place inside my pen hole that caused it to catch ... anybody else care to give it a try?
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-20-2015 11:49 AM
    Just for giggles, I tried it with my 4. It fits. Before the pen goes all the way in, air command pops up. But I must say, even though it fit, it was apparent something wasnt right. It wasn't the normal smooth slide. Smh...can't believe I tried it. Albeit, carefully. Smh...

anon8380037 likes this.
    08-20-2015 11:54 AM
    The note 3 won't even let the pen star to go in. It is a design flaw because if it isn't intended to go that way there should be something keyed preventing it. Otherwise the result is things can potentially get broke. There are all kinds of tech out there that does this to prevent damage.

anon8380037 and xendula like this.
    08-20-2015 01:03 PM
    I am very surprised at this. My Note 3 pen was too big at the top if I remember.

There are going to be traumatic episodes for many if this is that easy to do.
    ladyc0524 and Jalopiejoe like this.
    08-20-2015 01:03 PM
    Please don't try it again. I literally went just past 3 inches and it got stuck. I tried it to see what froggie was talking bout..... ...... I have to get my phone replaced now!!! I hate that even opened this thread! I wish I had just went to sleep instead of laying up playing with my phone. But on the positive note, we can still get our phones replaced (I hated to do it cause I work for Verizon and I'm not fond of dishonest customers but I told them that mine just stopped working.) I will never do that again.
    08-21-2015 03:23 PM
    This happened to me too. I was able to pull it out with a lot of force but the top was left behind and now the S Pen is totally useless. Huge design flaw.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    08-22-2015 05:50 PM
    I think this should be made a Stickie on the Note 5 forum, except I don't think many people look at Stickies especially from an app.
    This sounds serious.
    Waiting to hear Samsung say it's not covered under warranty.
    08-22-2015 06:32 PM
    The backwards pen of death got me too. I was watching a movie at home and accidentally put the pen in clicker side first. It goes in smooth but locks in there. I tried to wiggle it out and the clicker broke off inside the holster. This flaw seems like it could become a serious problem.

anon8380037 likes this.
    08-23-2015 08:19 PM
    This happened to me too. I was able to pull it out with a lot of force but the top was left behind and now the S Pen is totally useless. Huge design flaw.
    I don't think it is a design flaw. The S Pen was never meant to be put in backwards.
    That's like sticking a screwdriver in a wall socket and complaining that it was a design flaw.
    You're suppose to use common sense.
    08-23-2015 09:34 PM
    I don't think it is a design flaw. The S Pen was never meant to be put in backwards.
    That's like sticking a screwdriver in a wall socket and complaining that it was a design flaw.
    Agreed ๐Ÿ‘. If I'm not mistaken, isn't one end pointed and the other end flat? ๐Ÿ˜œ
    I agree it sucks for anyone that has done this. But, I think I might have kept that information to myself instead of admitting it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    OceanView and ladyc0524 like this.
    08-23-2015 10:04 PM
    I can understand the argument that this is user stupidity and I appreciate the humor. However, for an $800 device, I expect better. When you put the pen in backwards, it goes in very smoothly, then one little click and it's done. There's no resistance or any type of indication that you are about to irrevocably damage your device. I have used many phones with stylus starting with the Windows Mobile Compaq Pocket PC and none of the stylus devices I had allow this. I can see this happening with absentmindedness, not seeing in the dark, just playing around, letting your kid borrow your phone for a few minutes, etc.

Samsung could have designed some type of mechanism to prevent wrong insertion, or at least make it a lot harder. It's not like that type of safety net hasn't been done before.
    08-23-2015 10:44 PM
    Has anyone been able to free the s-pen clicker from their phone? I'm so upset that this happened. I'm faced with having to pay $175 deductible. :-(
    08-24-2015 12:59 AM
    It's got nothing to do with common sense. How do you know you shouldn't stick a screwdriver in a wall socket? Did common sense tell you that? No, your mommy did, and you remembered it. Nobody told me sticking the pen in backwards would damage the phone, and its far from common sense to assume it would.

A better analogy would be inserting a plug in the socket backwards makes it unremovable without damaging the socket. Is that a design flaw?

What if holding the power button down on your phone for 5 seconds would wipe the phone without warning? Is that a design flaw, or should you use common sense to magically know this?
    08-24-2015 04:45 AM
    The problem is the little switch inside the pen silo. It sits about an inch and a half down the well on the left side of the silo if you're looking at the screen. It tells the phone that the pen has been removed. It rotates up when the pen slides in, but when the pen is out is sticks out kinda like this / . When the pen is put in backwards the / part acts like the zippy part of a zip tie against the clicky part of the pen. I tried to slide a thin piece of paper between the pen and the phone to try to push the lever out of the way, but there's really not a lot of extra space there. I think you're stuck with having to pay the deductible. If the pen is forced out it will break this switch, after that the phone won't know the pen has been removed/replaced. You'll lose the quick note feature and the little round pen icon will always be visible on the screen.

You might be able to use some thin plastic. Something like they use to shrink wrap an item to a cardboard backer. Cut it a couple inches long by maybe a quarter inch wide. Wrap it around the side of the pen that faces the phone and try to slide it in the hole. You might be able to push it in with the pen, slide them both in a bit, pull the pen back out till it stops and push in again. If the plastic slides in, it will eventually push the switch out of the way and allow the pen to slide out.
    08-24-2015 07:05 AM
    So not only did the OP make a mistake, but we have people who tried it just to see?

Im sorry but this a bit amusing.

I think the only way it could be considered a design flaw is if both ends of the Spen were similar.. which they are not.

Yeah it sucks it happened, and yeah its an 800 dollar device.. which makes me super careful with mine.

Let us know what gets figured out on replacement, I'm actually curious about this one...

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    08-24-2015 07:28 AM
132 123 ...