Note 5: Camera Shots! Show us your pictures

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if any of you are old enough to remember the B52's, but I saw them last night at the Hollywood Bowl.

We were very far away from the stage, so considering that, and the fact that it was dark, these came out fantastic!

20150913_194042.jpg

20150913_212022.jpg

mlprce

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Couple of quick shots,both on auto. Really liking the camera.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 2481.jpg
    2481.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2484.jpg
    2484.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 43

cerktman

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
What mode did you use for this? I am struggling with the macro. I need to read up or watch a youtube vid for this. I thought the camera had its own macro mode but its within the Pro mode and I haven't practiced enough to figure out the focus. Cool shot!!!!! Not sure I'd get that close to a bee ;-)

Pure auto mode. I was at Lowes looking for flowers, came across the bee, whipped out the camera, got close, snapped the pic.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If anyone has any tips on using the macro mode, do tell. I am happy to know that the bee was taken using Auto. That is really amazing. Looks like a macro mode! Not sure why they have a macro setting within Pro mode when it takes many steps to get to it. I'd just like to know what the trick is to focusing once selecting it.

cotaej

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Having gone through this post quickly I started to notice that a number of pictures appeared to be taken in Portrait mode however they are showing up here in landscape mode
The latest example of is just a few posts above (#151 and the lantern)

is this a problem with sensor in the camera not realizing it is in Portrait vs Landscape?

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone use the zoom and get poor quality as this? My friend's parents have an awesome hummingbird feeder on their deck. I wasn't even 5 yards away n zoomed in to get a closers glimpse of the bird. This is what I go instead. I've tried a few other times and it always looks this bad. Am I missing summin?

Posted via the Android Central App

What I've noticed on my S5 Active is that it is better to NOT use the digital zoom while taking a picture. But rather take the shot without any zoom and crop the picture to make the subject larger later. This is especially helpful on the S5 since it doesn't have OIS. But, I would think it might be better on the Note 5 also. Give it a try and see what you think!

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
What I've noticed on my S5 Active is that it is better to NOT use the digital zoom while taking a picture. But rather take the shot without any zoom and crop the picture to make the subject larger later. This is especially helpful on the S5 since it doesn't have OIS. But, I would think it might be better on the Note 5 also. Give it a try and see what you think!
One thing about digital zoom is that it will meter for that cropped scene more accurately vs shooting wide and cropping later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
One thing about digital zoom is that it will meter for that cropped scene more accurately vs shooting wide and cropping later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A

This is probably true and makes sense. But, I usually find it much easier to fix the exposure than trying to fix a blurry picture (from handshake especially due to lack of OIS on the S5) in post processing. I have to believe that even having the ability to use OIS doesn't totally eliminate motion blur due to the effect of handshake when using high digital zoom. Also, you could use center weighted or spot metering rather than evaluative or even manual exposure compensation to try to get the exposure correct for the cropped scene.

Last edited:

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
This is probably true and makes sense. But, I usually find it much easier to fix the exposure than trying to fix a blurry picture (from handshake especially due to lack of OIS on the S5) in post processing. I have to believe that even having the ability to use OIS doesn't totally eliminate the effect of handshake when using high digital zoom. Also, you could use center weighted or spot metering rather than evaluative or even manual exposure compensation to try to get the exposure correct for the cropped scene.

Impact on the image do to shake will be the same. Digital zoom is just an in camera crop. There's no actual focal length change. It's just more noticeable when actually taking the shot because you can see it happening.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If anyone has any tips on using the macro mode, do tell. I am happy to know that the bee was taken using Auto. That is really amazing. Looks like a macro mode! Not sure why they have a macro setting within Pro mode when it takes many steps to get to it. I'd just like to know what the trick is to focusing once selecting it.

Try this open the Camera and make sure you are using the Rear Camera>Mode>Pro>Manual (icon will color from white to yellow>Slider button under the Flower Icon. You are now in Macro mode. Your have to be very very close to the subject and you will not get great depth of field (optics characteristics of all macro lens cameras). Enjoy.
Here is a quick shot of a cup of pens and pencils that has been cropped but otherwise no editing. Note the blue Pilot pen cap is in focus but things much behind, and in front are not in focus.
Macro Shot Test 1.jpg

TJohnsonmp01

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
yeah I've had to start to doing that. BUT you would just think with this great of a phone you wuoldn't have to do that. I am not trying to zoom from a long distance away either.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
yeah I've had to start to doing that. BUT you would just think with this great of a phone you wuoldn't have to do that. I am not trying to zoom from a long distance away either.

But that is the bottom line isn't it? This is a phone that takes pictures. It is not a camera that makes phone calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol