01-03-2016 07:59 AM
56 123
tools
    Is this kind of aggressive ram management a way to improve battery life?
    A process can't chew up power if it's dead.
    08-25-2015 10:30 AM
    A process can't chew up power if it's dead.
    You don't have to take it out of ram to stop it's ability of using the processor.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    08-25-2015 12:07 PM
    I don't really care if it reloads the app as long as it comes back fast and it seems to still be faster than LG G4 and the rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    08-25-2015 12:55 PM
    I don't really understand what the problem is. What kind of apps are you using? When I hit my app switch button I pull up so many apps I forgot I even opened them earlier in the day. When I switch to them there's a slight pause but it opens right back up to where I was, even with multiple tabs open in Firefox and with older and poorly updated apps.

Note 5 !
    The problem is that this phone with 4 gigs of RAM typically holds only your last 4-6 recent apps in memory, usually anything after that reloading begins to occur. It's even worse when using browsers or games. It's the same with all Samsung devices

Any Android device with 3 gigs of RAM running stock or near stock will hold anywhere from 15 to 25 of your most recent apps in memory at all times. Samsungs RAM management is very aggressive and this causes far more app reloads (lag) than you see on other Android devices
    08-26-2015 02:44 AM
    I have switched to the phone app when I am in a hurry and been stuck waiting 5 seconds for it is to reload. When it finally does I am not on the contact I had just been at and now need to initiate the the process of searching again. Never happens on my Nexus 6.

For browsing stuff it can be even more annoying. It will reload the page but not place you where you were on the page previously, you click a link and suddenly the page moves back to the top and you just clicked another link that takes you somewhere else.

All this sound trivial in this discussion but when you're working and in a hurry it can be very annoying.

08-26-2015 05:30 AM
    All this sound trivial in this discussion but when you're working and in a hurry it can be very annoying.
    Well, it all boils down to 'know your device'. Now, with the Note 5, Samsung's rather heavy-handed RAM management preferences are well known and have been around for years. That's they way they want their phones to run. If someone's usage patterns **** up against these preferences to the point where they become a problem, then maybe it is time to reassess their phone choice. But if it isn't a problem, then great.
    08-26-2015 11:51 AM
    No one ever believes me but I get better performance and better battery with a pretty full RAM. That has been the case with every Samsung device I've owned and I've owned almost all of them.
    08-26-2015 12:01 PM
    4GB and still auto closing? Windows X can use 4GB RAM and multitask for more than 20 apps without auto closing... Digest it for a minute...
    08-27-2015 06:53 AM
    4GB and still auto closing? Windows X can use 4GB RAM and multitask for more than 20 apps without auto closing... Digest it for a minute...
    Like what 9ers said, it's due to Samsung's overly aggressive RAM management.

Also, just something to point out, Android manages RAM differently from Windows.

On Windows, Unused RAM = Free RAM for others to use
    On Android, Unused RAM = Wasted RAM
    08-27-2015 06:55 AM
    As others have pointed out, this doesn't seem to be an Android issue, just Samsung.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    08-27-2015 07:12 AM
    Well, it all boils down to 'know your device'. Now, with the Note 5, Samsung's rather heavy-handed RAM management preferences are well known and have been around for years. That's they way they want their phones to run. If someone's usage patterns **** up against these preferences to the point where they become a problem, then maybe it is time to reassess their phone choice. But if it isn't a problem, then great.
    I noticed this issue while playing with the Note 5 at Best Buy and Verizon corporate store. I thought I was imagining it until I saw this thread.

Is there a fix to the Note 5's overly aggressive RAM management flaw? What's the point of having so much RAM if it doesn't make life easier?
    09-03-2015 11:05 PM
    Only fix would be a custom kernel... Which as of now is still not possible I don't think.
    09-03-2015 11:09 PM
    Only fix would be a custom kernel... Which as of now is still not possible I don't think.
    wait, you mean this is something that even Samsung can't fix via OTA updates?
    09-04-2015 12:00 AM
    Samsung won't fix something they do on purpose.
    09-04-2015 02:00 AM
    It's not necessarily a flaw. The note and edge+ have mitigated the problem with more ram.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
    09-04-2015 04:43 AM
    It's not necessarily a flaw. The note and edge+ have mitigated the problem with more ram.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
    Maybe not a "flaw" but it sure feels like Samsung rushed the Note 5 to the market before the engineers had time to work out these issues. (just like they did with the S-Pen) Some suggested that they wanted to beat Apple's release of the new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus... but I don't see the point... people who buy those phones will just wait for them.

It's not like the RAM problem is new. The Note 4 also has it. In the Note 5, it's only "slightly"
    better, but still a problem nonetheless.
    09-04-2015 07:03 PM
    Maybe not a "flaw" but it sure feels like Samsung rushed the Note 5 to the market before the engineers had time to work out these issues. (just like they did with the S-Pen) Some suggested that they wanted to beat Apple's release of the new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus... but I don't see the point... people who buy those phones will just wait for them.

It's not like the RAM problem is new. The Note 4 also has it. In the Note 5, it's only "slightly"
    better, but still a problem nonetheless.
    The fact those other phones also have this issue shows is not a problem with this phone being rushed. Maybe Samsung knows something we don't? Given how well the nexus 6 performs with 3 gigs ram it is a mystery.

09-05-2015 07:22 AM
    Given how well the nexus 6 performs with 3 gigs ram it is a mystery.
    was just about to say that.... perhaps Nexus 6 doesn't have this flaw because it's a Google phone?

Galaxy Note 5 score so far:

No MicroSDXC card slot = strike 1
    No removable battery = strike 2
    S-pen can be stuck = strike 3
    RAM management issue = umpire throws it out of the ballpark?
    09-05-2015 10:42 AM
    Who the hell cares, in my day to day use from launch day till now, it's been perfectly fine and haven't seen any reloading issues affect my workflow. Feels like any other Android phone in this regard.

Only thing surprising with the Note 5 is how smoothly it is still running even after 2 weeks, S6 was smooth to start with and quickly saw stuttering, lag and had to sell it after being fed up with it. But the Note 5 is not having any such problems which is nice. I set high standards and can't take stutters, lag in software and so far Note 5 has not disappointed. Have to see how long this holds true.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-05-2015 10:54 AM
    was just about to say that.... perhaps Nexus 6 doesn't have this flaw because it's a Google phone?

Galaxy Note 5 score so far:

No MicroSDXC card slot = strike 1
    No removable battery = strike 2
    S-pen can be stuck = strike 3
    RAM management issue = umpire throws it out of the ballpark?
    Do you own a Note 5?
    09-05-2015 11:09 AM
    Do you own a Note 5?
    no, but I've been using one for almost a week. my friend let me borrow his new Note 5 for a couple of days, but then he had to suddenly to to New Zealand for business... so I had no way of returning it to him. I've been putting it through video torture test, such as nonstop playback of raw Blu-ray M2TS videos to see how long the battery would last...(unfortunately only 2 and half hours, even at 50% brightness.... which is 23 minutes less than on my Note 4)
    09-05-2015 12:07 PM
    no, but I've been using one for almost a week. my friend let me borrow his new Note 5 for a couple of days, but then he had to suddenly to to New Zealand for business... so I had no way of returning it to him. I've been putting it through video torture test, such as nonstop playback of raw Blu-ray M2TS videos to see how long the battery would last...(unfortunately only 2 and half hours, even at 50% brightness.... which is 23 minutes less than on my Note 4)
    Smaller battery and only last 23 minutes less. Also the screen is much better and I keep my Note 5 even lower brightness than my Note 4.

So, doesn't sound like it is the horrible phone some are trying to say it is.
    09-05-2015 12:17 PM
    I really think Android manufacturers need to stop messing with all these things. Samsung and Motorola tweaking RAM management settings and making it too aggressive is a pain in the arse.
    I don't own Samung but my Moto's aggressive minfree settings kick apps out of memory once free ram reaches 150mb available out of total 1gb.
    Motorola also reserves extra 110mb ram which apps cannot use so actual usable ram is 1000-(150-110)=750mb ram only in 1gb devices.
    Out of this android eats about 400mb so actual available ram for apps to use is about 350mb means barely 3-4 apps before kicking out of memory begins.
    But this is kind of understandable in a low ram phone but Note 5 starts kicking apps at 2gb ram mark is far too aggressive.
    This means the extra money that you paid for a 4gb ram phone is going to complete waste. Basically Note 5 acts like a 2gb ram device. 2gb ram for a flagship phone in 2015 is just inexcusable.
    09-05-2015 03:26 PM
    I really think Android manufacturers need to stop messing with all these things. Samsung and Motorola tweaking RAM management settings and making it too aggressive is a pain in the arse.
    I don't own Samung but my Moto's aggressive minfree settings kick apps out of memory once free ram reaches 150mb available out of total 1gb.
    Motorola also reserves extra 110mb ram which apps cannot use so actual usable ram is 1000-(150-110)=750mb ram only in 1gb devices.
    Out of this android eats about 400mb so actual available ram for apps to use is about 350mb means barely 3-4 apps before kicking out of memory begins.
    But this is kind of understandable in a low ram phone but Note 5 starts kicking apps at 2gb ram mark is far too aggressive.
    This means the extra money that you paid for a 4gb ram phone is going to complete waste. Basically Note 5 acts like a 2gb ram device. 2gb ram for a flagship phone in 2015 is just inexcusable.
    I'm pretty sure it is much more complex then this and samsung knows some things about their hardware and how to achiever maximum performance that you and I don't.
    09-06-2015 05:34 AM
    after 2 weeks, S6 was smooth to start with and quickly saw stuttering, lag and had to sell it after being fed up with it.
    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I totally agree. I really liked the s6 and was willing to move to a smaller phone but when I saw how laggy it got compared to my nexus 6 which the same amount of memory I returned it. I'm now on an edge+ which is basically the same phone but without the lag. Why? I have to guess the extra gig of ram but who knows. Samsung screwed up the s6 with that agressive memory management or with some other flaw in their design that forces them to be aggressive with how they handle memory. Maybe it the quick launch of the camera that forces lots of stuff to stay in memory at all times. If thats the case the s6 should have shipped with 4gigs or ram.
    09-06-2015 05:39 AM
56 123