Note 5 Tips and Tricks Thread

roll2tide

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Oh the Apps Drawer icon? Don't think you can remove that unless using a launcher.

After 10+ years on blackberry this is my first Android. I kind of get what launchers are but not 100% and I have security concerns (possibly unfounded) with just downloading apps from random sources. Recommendation for a launcher?

Posted via the Android Central App
From my Note 5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nova Prime is a good launcher. First one I've used in years because the others lagged. It isn't expensive and in the Play Store. You can also add a ton of icons at the bottom, I have like 7 at the bottom but could have 7 for 5 screens, just swipe through them.

roll2tide

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Nova Prime is a good launcher. First one I've used in years because the others lagged. It isn't expensive and in the Play Store. You can also add a ton of icons at the bottom, I have like 7 at the bottom but could have 7 foe 5 screens, just swipe through them.

Thank you for your help.

From my Note 5

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
roll2tide, I will second the Nova Launcher, from Google Play. I too came from YEARS of BB and didn't take me long to love the customization of Android. You will love Nova. There are tons of settings and its always one of the highest rated launchers in the polls. Enjoy!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your help.

From my Note 5

Any time, that is what we are here for!

A lot on this site use Nova, it does more than I use it for. Any questions with setting it up, feel free to post a thread to ask questions.

Oh and.. War Eagle! 😆

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In the Camera app, go to Mode...Download...you can install a bunch of different modes. Like animated GIF.

Enjoy!!

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
VZW may not have gotten Samsung Pay but they got native video calling instead. Worth it?

Posted from my Note 5 via the Android Central App

I have no way to test it. I'm the only one in my family with a Samsung (or Android) phone. Won't work with iPhones since they have native FaceTime. So for now, I have it turned off and only keep on Advanced Calling (VoLTE).

Dr Footie

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
This is the native Video Calling available in most if not all Unlocked variants and maybe some other non-US carriers.

Has anyone tried this yet? Curious as to the quality of it. My wife and I currently use Tango, but it's rare that it works all thru our video calls, which could be because our wifi at home is terrible (Live in a rural area). Also, anyone notice it on the Note 4?... my wife has a Note 4 and I keep forgetting to look at it once I get home from work.

Keep all the tips coming yall... I get my Note 5 tomorrow! Been a long time coming, kept my S3 for 3 years!!!

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This thread has a lot of people using Nova, posting their home screen. You can really do about anything. Change the number if icon rows and columns to about any number, change icon sizes, get icon packs and use other icons.

Note 5: Post Pictures Of Your Home Screen(s) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

That's one of my favorite threads. I love playing around with my phone and get ideas and apps from there.

I know one was using TouchTwiz and changed the theme to Material Dark and I think there was one that used Material Design, which is what I changed mine to.

I like the idea of changing the icons on the bottom row (where the app drawer and phone icon is) which can't be done in TouchWiz on this Note 5, but it's fine for now for me. Maybe later I might change another launcher.

For anyone who may not know, you can change the look or "theme" of your default launcher. When you long press on the screen, the bottom gives you several options and one is Themes. You can find more in the "theme store" at the bottom. There are a lot of "girly" ones that are just a bit too girly for me.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Smart Select. This forum post was thinking it wasn't there. You can select text with your Spen by pressing and holding down on the text, then you can move the selection icon (little ball at the bottom of the word) and select all you want. I just tried. Might be easier then a large finger on small text (for me). I didn't know you could do this. So I think this is a good tip for those who are new to Notes.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Another tip that I've been doing and I saw someone with an iPhone do this (so I probably got the idea from someone with an iphone). Press the home button with your fingerprint finger (I use my thumb) exactly as you have it "scanned". Then after pressing the phone on, just hold your finger a little longer and you're in your phone. Some of you have probably figured this out, but with my S5 it was a swipe of my finger and so I could press the home/on button anyway I wanted. But I prefer this.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was reading I have a Galaxy Note 5 — ask me about it! (several tips in there) and one was to press the home button 3 times to shrink a screen, but it must be a setting, or the type of phone he had (a preview European model) because it did not work for me. However, pressing the home button 2 times brought up the camera even when I was in a web search page. I like that feature, I think.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried this yet? Curious as to the quality of it. My wife and I currently use Tango, but it's rare that it works all thru our video calls, which could be because our wifi at home is terrible (Live in a rural area). Also, anyone notice it on the Note 4?... my wife has a Note 4 and I keep forgetting to look at it once I get home from work.

Keep all the tips coming yall... I get my Note 5 tomorrow! Been a long time coming, kept my S3 for 3 years!!!

I've tried most of those video conference apps in this past 4-5 years, but for the few occasions I've need it in the past 2 years I've used Google Hangouts, and now with Dialer add-on it's a must for an all around communication device like our smartphone. The dialer even allow to make free calls to US and Puerto Rico plus very cheap long distance calls to the rest of the world.

For people without WiFi calling like T-Mobile has for years and Sprint added recently, this is a great substitute.

Dr Footie

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I've tried most of those video conference apps in this past 4-5 years, but for the few occasions I've need it in the past 2 years I've used Google Hangouts, and now with Dialer add-on it's a must for an all around communication device like our smartphone. The dialer even allow to make free calls to US and Puerto Rico plus very cheap long distance calls to the rest of the world.

For people without WiFi calling like T-Mobile has for years and Sprint added recently, this is a great substitute.

I've heard a few people talk about Hangouts but I've yet to try it. I'll give it and Verizon video calling a try soon and let y'all know how it works.

Thanks for the tip on Hangouts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae