Note 5 Tips and Tricks Thread

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Shortcuts for those that don't like the air command menu to popup when the spen is removed

Spen - Holding the button while double tapping the screen will start a new action memo (from any screen)

Hovering the spen near the screen and pressing the button brings up the air command menu

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
For those that use Google Now and want to go hands free

You can wake your phone by waving your hand over the screen, then just say "OK Google"

To enable gesture wakeup go to
Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Gesture wakeup

Now set Google Now to open on any screen and your set

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
If you own a Amazon Fire Stick, it's easy to connect your phone to it wirelessly. Mirror you phone on your TV. Just put enable display mirroring on the stick the enable screen mirror on the phone (pull down notification bar, select edit, then select screen mirror. It will recognize the Amazon stick and just select it
Do you have to have WiFi for that feature to work? I drive an 18 wheeler. With my last note, I just plugged and MHL adapter in and plugged to the TV to watch Netflix. But now we. Can't do that. It would be awesome to watch netflix on the TV again. Without a wiFi connection.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Paired with Samsung Gear 2 Neo
Sprint PCS

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have to have WiFi for that feature to work? I drive an 18 wheeler. With my last note, I just plugged and MHL adapter in and plugged to the TV to watch Netflix. But now we. Can't do that. It would be awesome to watch netflix on the TV again. Without a wiFi connection.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Sprint PCS

You can also mirror using a Roku....not just using a Firestick

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
this is not note 5 specific but thanks to this thread i discovered side sync which is now my favorite samsung feature. using the app on my surface now and i can make and receive phone calls all while charging my phone in the other room. i can even view my note's screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
You can also mirror using a Roku....not just using a Firestick
Right. But do I need wifi?

Here's what I'm looking to use a roku or fire stick as.

I'm out in the middle nowhere in my rig. Just got done for the night and wanna watch a movie. Oh darn. No wifi. Can I plug either of these devices into the hdmi plug on my. HITACHI flat screen here in the truck, turn on mirroring on my note 5, have it sync up with either of these devices, hit play on netflix on my phone, and watch it on my tv?

I'm looking for an alternative the mhl adapter I used to use to stream netflix from my phone to the tv.

Thanks. Sorry for the long explanation. I just wanted explain how I'm looking to use it.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Sprint PCS

phreddie04

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey jmy,

My understanding is that you can connect to a fire stick via Wi-Fi direct without needing an existing Wi-Fi connection. Not having use Wi-Fi direct before I'm not sure if you still have access to mobile network while broadcasting to the Wi-Fi direct. However you should still be able to broadcast videos recorded on your note 5, which you can now record Amazon Prime videos to your device either from some random Wi-Fi hotspot or from the mobile network before connecting to the fire stick.

I have a link to a web page that explains the Wi-Fi direct connection to a fire stick however I'm not allowed to post links yet being a rookie.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey jmy,

My understanding is that you can connect to a fire stick via Wi-Fi direct without needing an existing Wi-Fi connection. Not having use Wi-Fi direct before I'm not sure if you still have access to mobile network while broadcasting to the Wi-Fi direct. However you should still be able to broadcast videos recorded on your note 5, which you can now record Amazon Prime videos to your device either from some random Wi-Fi hotspot or from the mobile network before connecting to the fire stick.

I have a link to a web page that explains the Wi-Fi direct connection to a fire stick however I'm not allowed to post links yet being a rookie.

Hope this helps.
Sure just message me the link and I will check it out. Thanks. Never needed it before as everything had mhl support.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Sprint PCS

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

phreddie04

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
No, though that is an interesting article, as it states mhl will work with the note 5. My understanding was that it does not... the link is

Just add the w's

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

You can wake your phone by waving your hand over the screen, then just say "OK Google"

Awesome, thanks!

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No, though that is an interesting article, as it states mhl will work with the note 5. My understanding was that it does not... the link is

Just add the w's

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks. That article is from another country and he got his Fire Stick from Germany. I wonder if it's different in the USA. The above poster got theirs to work.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Last edited by a moderator:

emcknight23

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Right. But do I need wifi?

Here's what I'm looking to use a roku or fire stick as.

I'm out in the middle nowhere in my rig. Just got done for the night and wanna watch a movie. Oh darn. No wifi. Can I plug either of these devices into the hdmi plug on my. HITACHI flat screen here in the truck, turn on mirroring on my note 5, have it sync up with either of these devices, hit play on netflix on my phone, and watch it on my tv?

I'm looking for an alternative the mhl adapter I used to use to stream netflix from my phone to the tv.

Thanks. Sorry for the long explanation. I just wanted explain how I'm looking to use it.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
64 GB
Black Sapphire
Sprint PCS

So I turned my wifi router off. Amazon stick gave me the notification that no connection was available. So I turn on the display mirroring on the stick and enabled the screen mirror on my phone and it worked without my homes wifi. It did automatically turn on the WiFi on my phone but assuming that is wifi direct option. So yes. I was able to mirror my phone to the stick without wifi.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Something I just learned. If you're taking a photo and you need to focus your camera and do not want to touch your screen to create fingerprint smudges, tap the side of the phone. My camera will focus in about 3 seconds on auto, if that long, but if I need to focus it will work by taping the screen or the side. However, if you want to focus on a certain point you are emphasizing in the picture, you will need to tap the screen.

What do you mean tap the side? I just tried this and I'm not sure I'm doing it right lol

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1442008190858.jpg This is driving me crazy. I want to turn off my lock screen but the option is greyed out,, why?

Note 5 is DOPE

anon(427874)

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Thank you Frank! I did not know I could do this. Working like a charm. And using 'trusted places' at home, now my Samsung 'opens sesame'.

It's better than the screen knock on my Nexus.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles