So the Note 5 uses a micro usb cable to charge. I'm curious to know what determines if it will quick charge?

Is it the cable itself, being unique? Or will any micro usb cable work? Is it the dongle you plug the cable into? I have tons of microusb cables and hoping any of those will work to quick charge it, but I wasn't sure if it mattered what dongle it uses.
    08-21-2015 05:16 PM
    Any quality microusb cable will work.

The charger and device determines quick charge

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    Almeuit and srkmagnus like this.
    08-21-2015 05:20 PM
    Correct. 28/24 AWG is ideal according to this post Cables Can Significantly Impact the Charging Speed of Your USB Devices. Don't use the junky skinny cables!
    stanleybb50 likes this.
    08-21-2015 05:25 PM
    not true.... the note 4 quick charge set up doesnt work on the note 5.... the charger FOB is fine... but you have to use the note5 cord to actually get quick charge this time around. probally a way for samsung to get you to replace all your cords smh.
    08-22-2015 08:34 AM
    not true.... the note 4 quick charge set up doesnt work on the note 5.... the charger FOB is fine... but you have to use the note5 cord to actually get quick charge this time around. probally a way for samsung to get you to replace all your cords smh.
    No you don't. I have used non Samsung cables and adaptive fast charging works fine.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    stanleybb50 likes this.
    08-23-2015 01:15 AM
    My Droid Turbo charger fast charges my note5.

sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDCard!
    stanleybb50 likes this.
    08-23-2015 01:23 AM
    That's not true my Note4 charger and cord work fine on the Note5, when I used the cord from my S4 it did not register as "fast charge"
    stanleybb50 likes this.
    08-23-2015 03:21 AM
    I've actually used my Note 4 charger and cord and it quick charges my Note 5.

Same with my S6E cord and charging block.
    stanleybb50 likes this.
    08-23-2015 04:30 AM
    I took a look at the Note 5 charger and compared to other Samsung chargers I have laying around that looks identical. I belive it is more than just the cable. The Note 5 charge has to who output voltage. It said 9V 1.67A or 5V 2A compare to the other Samsung charger, it only has 5V 2A. It sounds to me, the fast charge is the combination of the phone and the charger, at least that is what I am seeing. I tried the same cable came with Note 5 and other Samsung 5V 2A chargers, it didn't trigger fast charge. Using different cables with Note 5 charger, I got fast charge.
    08-23-2015 05:15 PM
    I took a look at the Note 5 charger and compared to other Samsung chargers I have laying around that looks identical. I belive it is more than just the cable. The Note 5 charge has to who output voltage. It said 9V 1.67A or 5V 2A compare to the other Samsung charger, it only has 5V 2A. It sounds to me, the fast charge is the combination of the phone and the charger, at least that is what I am seeing. I tried the same cable came with Note 5 and other Samsung 5V 2A chargers, it didn't trigger fast charge. Using different cables with Note 5 charger, I got fast charge.
    It isn't the cable at all, it is the charging block.
    08-23-2015 06:37 PM
    Agreed.
    08-23-2015 06:50 PM
    With my Note 5 I've used many of the same charging setups that I've used for my Note 2 and other devices. I've pretty much standardized around the house with 2A chargers running 28/24g Micro USB cables that I bought in bulk from Monoprice. I use them with my Samsung supplied wall warts and a 5 port Anker PowerPort like this one:http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Charging-Multi-Port-Charger/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440378059&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+charger

I've had this one and it's charged my Note2, Wife's S5, Son's S4, a Asus TF103c and BB brand Win8.1 tablet at the same time with no issue. I've charged the Note5 with it also but not while charging with all 5 ports like other times. I don't have any reason to think it wouldn't work.
    08-23-2015 08:05 PM
    With my Note 5 I've used many of the same charging setups that I've used for my Note 2 and other devices. I've pretty much standardized around the house with 2A chargers running 28/24g Micro USB cables that I bought in bulk from Monoprice. I use them with my Samsung supplied wall warts and a 5 port Anker PowerPort like this one:http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Charging-Multi-Port-Charger/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440378059&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+charger

I've had this one and it's charged my Note2, Wife's S5, Son's S4, a Asus TF103c and BB brand Win8.1 tablet at the same time with no issue. I've charged the Note5 with it also but not while charging with all 5 ports like other times. I don't have any reason to think it wouldn't work.
    Lots of people here are clueless about the difference between charging and fast charging. Of course you can charge your Note 5 with any crap from monoprix. But the issue is fast charging which depends on both the cable and the charging block. If you use a no fast charging cable with a fast charger it would not fast charge. Likewise if you use a fast charging cable with a non fast charging block it would not fast charge. Second, it's not just voltage and amperage, it also involve something called Adaptive charging where the charger and the phone exchange information about how much power to send and receive so to avoid overheating.
    kct1975 likes this.
    04-23-2018 10:37 AM