02-16-2017 05:35 PM
257 ... 891011
tools
    Som firmware bug decreased BT power and range.
    There is no any firmware bug. It's a bluetooth defect. After repair (new motherboard) everything now works perfectly now on my Note 5.
    02-08-2016 08:10 AM
    Long story, lol.
    I started reading this forum even before I got my Note5, as I knew it would come in handy, and I read the S5 forum a lot while I had it. I got my Note 5 two weeks ago last Saturday. I used my bluetooth earpiece a couple times and had no problem, so I mostly disregarded this thread. Couple days after that it started cutting in and out, and I thought it was because I was wearing a beanie over my earpiece. A day after that it started disconnecting and reconnecting constantly while the phone was in my back pocket, and simply wouldn't stay connected, so I came and read this thread. I tried every trick and tip I knew and then everything listed here, minus the factory reset, to no avail. Then I went back to the AT&T store, filled my guy in, and told him about this thread. It failed to work for him too, backing up my story. He had me call Samsung to document everything, and of course they told me to do a factory reset before calling them back the next day. Factory reset did not work, so I called Samsung back, but all they offered was to have me ship it to them for repair and they would ship it back. I cannot be without a phone, my husband is on an organ transplant list. I politely declined, but made sure Samsung documented my account with everything. I went back to my AT&T store, but my guy had the day off, and I preferred to wait for him, so I went home and spent the rest of the day experimenting with it.

Here's what I found. WiFi was definitely a factor, any time my phone was within wifi range, it disconnected or had the signal break up. Even with the wifi on the phone turned off. I wear my earpiece on my left ear, and I could block the signal simply by moving the phone to the right side of my head, putting it in my pocket or simply waving my hand in front of the phone. The only way the bluetooth would stay connected was to hold it right in front of my face. But if I was driving down a road, too fast for any wifi signal, it would stay connected with no problem, even in my pocked or behind the seat. But what good is that if someone wants to save data and say, stream Pandora, on wifi using a bluetooth earpiece? Nada.

My guy at AT&T was great, since I was still within the 14 days, he called it a factory defect out of the box, and got me a new one. We activated the new phone literally on the 14th day. I'm happy to say as of right now, the new phone is working fine!! I'm now past 14 days, so if something goes wrong with the replacement, the repair will be my only option, since it's still under warranty obviously. Fingers crossed that this is a normal phone, as I totally love the Note 5!!

Long story I know, but I wanted to be as clear as possible with the problems I had. It clearly seems to me to be a physical bluetooth/radio defect. I'm worried only because someone way back in this thread is on her 3rd phone! Fingers crossed.
    02-09-2016 12:38 AM
    I'm on the fence, was going to go get one today but I've read more than one thread about this issue. I need working Bluetooth. Might have to hold off.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-09-2016 10:05 AM
    I'm on the fence, was going to go get one today but I've read more than one thread about this issue. I need working Bluetooth. Might have to hold off.

I wouldn't worry. A few people here, including me, have had the problem out of thousands of phones sold. If you do have the problem, the fix is easy, exchange if your carrier will, or return to Samsung to have the main board replaced. The Note 5 is the best phone I have ever owned.
    02-09-2016 11:40 AM
    I wouldn't worry. A few people here, including me, have had the problem out of thousands of phones sold. If you do have the problem, the fix is easy, exchange if your carrier will, or return to Samsung to have the main board replaced. The Note 5 is the best phone I have ever owned.
    I appreciate the input. I went and handled one today, it's easily a 1/2" taller than my G3, and OMG the bloat. But I'm still tempted....

bluedragon1971 likes this.
    02-09-2016 08:54 PM
    Next time buy directly from T-Mobile Retail Store, not an authorized dealer, but an actual T-Mobile Retail Store, some authorized dealer stores look like Retail Stores, but they are not. I've had my phone for 7mos, And It has been discovered, I have the same BT issue as you, after testing T-Mobile is sending me a new phone for $5 bucks, cause I have insurance on my Jump Plan. But I'm sorry to here you had to either buy another phone or deal with that issue.
    03-15-2016 10:17 AM
    I'm having the same issues on my AT&T Note 5. Tried everything and then some to troubleshoot including what's in this thread. I went to AT&T today and told them what was going on. They hooked me up with Tech Support and they are sending me a replacement phone under warranty. Simple as that. Hope everything works fine on the replacement phone. I'll keep you all posted.
    03-16-2016 04:51 PM
    I was having the same problems with BT on my Verizon Note 5 and after the Marshmallow upgrade my BT connectivity is working great again. Don't know if it is a coincidence or the BT problem will come back again later on.

03-17-2016 10:24 AM
    My blue tooth was working fine then I upgraded to 5.1.1 and it started dropping all the time with my car. It took me 20 mins to get it to pair again and now it drops several times when I'm talking on the phone or listening to music on my phone when connected to my car. So frustrating!

Also my Note 5 is not compatible with my Fitbit watch or an app we use at work, AT&T Push to talk.
    03-19-2016 02:32 PM
    Hi everyone ..new guy here.

I have been having issues with this Bluetooth on my N5 for 2 weeks now and the phone is only 2 months old! I tried all the troubleshooting stuff and nothing worked. It's now in for repair (warranty) at Samsung. The tech told me the motherboard needs to be replaced. It's definitely a hardware issue and I'm irrate that Samsung continues to hide this major fail under the rug. I spent a lot of money on this phone as did all of you and we deserve better !
    03-21-2016 12:09 PM
    Got my warranty replacement yesterday. All set up and BT is now working great.
    03-22-2016 09:11 AM
    I have had the Note 5 on T-Mobile since launch. This problem just started happening this week. Maybe after the latest update, but I can't be sure.

Android Wear devices constantly show disconnected. Bluetooth headphones disconnect and have poor connection.
    03-22-2016 01:23 PM
    I was having the same problems with BT on my Verizon Note 5 and after the Marshmallow upgrade my BT connectivity is working great again. Don't know if it is a coincidence or the BT problem will come back again later on.

I've been waiting for the MM update (AT&T) to see if it fixes my BT problem. If it doesn't, I'm heading to the store for repair. I left my BT off for about a week. Ran it today and it was so so. Cut out a few times but better than last week.

03-22-2016 07:33 PM
    I've been waiting for the MM update (AT&T) to see if it fixes my BT problem. If it doesn't, I'm heading to the store for repair. I left my BT off for about a week. Ran it today and it was so so. Cut out a few times but better than last week.

The tech at Samsung told me that this is a "known issue"and it's a Motherboard problem. It's not software related. I'm having mine serviced now .

03-22-2016 10:12 PM
    Just curious are you on Marshmallow?
    03-24-2016 05:33 AM

Could you let us know us know how your phone is holding up under marshmallow. Did the BT range issue come back?
    03-24-2016 05:35 AM
    Wassup chiming in to add to the many post in here regarding the Bluetooth problem. Sadly i'm of those who was experiencing the sudden drop in range of the BT radio on my N5. I use a BT dongle to stream music to a stereo set. My Note 5 was purchased at launch. It worked fine up til approximately a week ago when i noticed the music would intermittently drop under conditions it used to operate normal under. Thru several troubleshooting procedures, I came to realize it's definitely a hardware issue. My phone was never rooted, no water damage, a couple minor drops not resulting in any dings, scratches, or cracks anywhere on the phone. I do charge my phone much on the wireless charger, and was successfully updated to the latest working firmware without any hiccups during the process. I've recieved my exchange phone from T-Mobile. It is updated to the latest firmware and can confirm that the BT radio on this N5 works as how my 1st phone worked before the drop in performance.
    04-01-2016 12:26 AM
    Hi guys, I seem to be having the problem I am a bluetooth fanatic. I have to have a bluetooth headset so as soon as my bluetooth goes out i go and get another. I Had the lg tone infinim worked perfectly. Then one of the ear buds went out in those. (Due the pulling on the retractable ear buds I guess) Then I decided to try the samsung level U pros worked fine for a couple weeks then it just stopped connecting to the phone. So I figured those weren't any good. So next I got the lg tone pro immediately the connection was bad but I could still use it I just couldn't walk to far away from my device. So maybe about a week ago the connection got really bad I couldn't even put my phone in back pocket then it got to the point where I had to hold the phone to my face. I may as well just talked into the phone if I was going to have to hold it that close to my bluetooth. Yesterday 4/7/16 I couldn't take it anymore I went and bought another bluetooth (lg tone ultra) it started doing the exact same thing. I started thinking is LG really getting that bad. All my other LG tones worked perfectly never had a problem out of any of them. Then all of a sudden I thought to myself it has to be the PHONE. I paired the bluetooth to my son's note 4 and it worked FINE!!! So I immediately took the phone to Tmobile we cleared the cache and we did a hard reset. Still did not work. Now I'm just happy to say that my phone is still under warranty and it is on the way now!!! I'm just a little perturbed that I went through all of those bluetooth just to realize it was the phone the whole time😐😐😐. Hopefully I will not have a problem out of the replacement. I don't know what I will do. I guess upgrade to the s7 because I'm so not a APPLE 🍎fan.

04-08-2016 01:56 PM
    ...but are they connected at the same time? My Note 5 is paired with Jabra and Genesis but unless I disconnect the Jabra, the 5 won't connect with the Genesis. My note 4 connected regardless of the Jabra. Seems the 5 has gone backwards....unless I'm doing something wrong.
    04-22-2016 04:50 PM
    Could you let us know us know how your phone is holding up under marshmallow. Did the BT range issue come back?
    Ive heard about the motherboard thing too. However, I had the same problem after one of the 5.1.1 updates. I finally got annoyed enough to bring it back. Before I did, Sprint pushed out the MM update. As soon as the update was done, my bluetooth went back to normal. Better than normal really. I get superior range now. It has been working like a charm since the update.
    04-22-2016 05:48 PM
    Having the same issues now!!!! Started about 2 weeks ago....just out of the blue. I'd like to blame it on the smaller update about a month ago, but the problem started a couple weeks or more after that. I wasn't going to update to MM right away...but might have to, in order to see if it will fix it. We shall see!
    04-25-2016 11:40 AM
    Which is why I am waiting on the MM update. (AT&T). I've had bugs with my Bluetooth for several months now. It's either a motherboard or software. I've read posts that say both ways. I figure an update on the OS is easier and quicker than a motherboard.

04-25-2016 03:43 PM
    I've had the same issue and am on my 3rd Note 5 (AT&T did warranty replacement twice). It started happening after about 2 1/2 months on both phones. The rep this time mentioned that if it happens again I probably would want to go straight to Samsung (although they gave me absolutely no problems with making the replacement and said they would still do so if it fell within the warranty period of the original phone). I'm hoping this is anot issue that will be fixed with MM, but I'm not holding my breath. I guess on the plus side, I can factory reset my phone and get it back to the way I had it pretty quickly now.
    06-07-2016 10:57 AM
    Sent mine to Samsung last week they replace the motherboard. No issues anymore! At no cost to me.
    06-07-2016 11:11 AM
    I'm trying to use while gaming and can not get an answer.JABRA BT2046 works fine for calls.It would be nice to not have carry headphones too.
    08-22-2016 07:10 PM
257 ... 891011