02-16-2017 05:35 PM
257 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Well I just got my replacement phone today and so far its working well. I'm just worried about it happening again in another month. It will get pretty old always having to send it in for this problem. I might just have to get a V10 if it happens again.
    Its very strange. My bluetooth has been flawless except the range is more like 50ft than 100ft.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2015 06:21 PM
    Hey guys, I got my replacement phone in the mail today. So far so good. I updated everything to the latest software and paired three smart watches and a Bluetooth headset and there have been no issues so far. I highly recommend everyone to get a replacement as this definitely seems to be a hardware issue. The real question is whether it's going to happen again in a month or so. Only time will tell. Best of luck to all of you.
    11-19-2015 09:25 PM
    It did occur to me that maybe the Bluetooth is somehow getting damaged by wireless charging. Does anyone else use wireless charging? I use the normal (not fast) wireless charger that Best Buy included for free if you bought a Note 5 shortly after it came out.
    11-19-2015 11:49 PM
    It did occur to me that maybe the Bluetooth is somehow getting damaged by wireless charging. Does anyone else use wireless charging? I use the normal (not fast) wireless charger that Best Buy included for free if you bought a Note 5 shortly after it came out.
    Interesting idea. At first I wasn't sure where you got the idea from. However, when I was bluetooth streaming spotify today I was concerned (mildly) that the music might cut out a bit as a result of the phone being on the wireless charger while streaming. It didn't cut out though, but I did have a similar thought, sort of.

Likely this bluetooth issue is due to some sort of interference. Perhaps since so many users are experiencing it the interference is coming from the phone itself. Perhaps the wifi radio is malfunctioning or something like that. Typically in my experience (limited) hardware issues are from internal heat exposure.
    Zilean likes this.
    11-19-2015 11:55 PM
    I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is part of this issue. I'm a semi-new Bluetooth user that only recently started using BT for music at work (wifi). I've used it before when pairing mt last two phones to my car for calls but nothing else. About a month ago I got a pair of BT earbuds and I use them for work for 99% music and 1% calls.
    I'm not having any issues with distance and can and have walked well over 50' with no issues. The only time the music started to stutter is when I'm starting to get out of range or there are too many walls between me and the phone.
    However, every now and then, even when sitting here next to my phone, I get a pause in the music as well as a slight replaying/repeating of a small portion (maybe a few seconds) of a song. This happens with phone on and off the wireless charger. Now I do want to say that this might be a cause of the issues this place is having with their router. Since I'm now aware that there is an issue with BT, I plan to test this out at home and listen to music for a couple of hours on my home wifi which has no issues and see if the pausing happens.
    Seeing that I'm not all that used to listening to music through BT I'm not sure if the random pausing is something that just part of the BT technology or not but this has gotten my curiosity up. FYI, the phone is from Verizon and I've had it from day one.
    11-20-2015 10:45 AM
    OK...Just got a UPS shipping notification that my phone was shipped from Samsung Repair center in TX. They replaced the board so let's see what happens to my bluetooth connection when it arrives here. Took exactly a week (shipped out Fri and should be received by Fri).

FYI...I think people should just RETURN the phone RIGHT AWAY if you have any bluetooth problem. The phone DOES have a bluetooth hardware problem. Don't waste your time. Again, mine worked well for more than a month before it started to get weird.
    I got my phone back from Samsung repair center. Looks like they DID replace the "board" and now....everything works IMPECCABLY! Wow...the bluetooth just connects...and no interference problem. Hope this lasts...
    11-20-2015 11:05 PM
    Bluetooth is cutting out often in the car on my Note 5. Safe mode and factory reset did not solve problem for me. My wife's S6 Bluetooth works great in the same car. Seems to be a hardware issue. Will follow up with Samsung to see how long I would be without a phone if sent it in for repair.
    11-21-2015 04:11 PM
    Just got my Note 5 back from Samsung repair. They replaced PBA (main phone board) and everything is working great. The bluetooth range is maybe even better than it was when new. I've done all of the updates and everything is still working fine. Others have said this, but if you have problems with an extremely poor bluetooth range, don't mess around. Get your phone replaced or repaired at once.
    11-23-2015 03:06 PM
    My repair was 13 days door to door.
    Matt Behnken likes this.
    11-23-2015 03:09 PM
    I finally called tmobile today and they are sending me a replacement. I have tried all the troubleshooting for this and nothing worked.

11-23-2015 05:56 PM
    glad people are having success with the repairs..sucks that it comes down to that though
    11-23-2015 07:23 PM
    glad people are having success with the repairs..sucks that it comes down to that though

It's seems common enough that Samsung or the carriers should have looked into this further.

Chino32 and Matt Behnken like this.
    11-23-2015 08:23 PM
    I wish there were a way to determine what % of n5 have this issue but a lot of people never even use bluetooth. My wife never has.
    11-25-2015 08:16 PM
    I wish there were a way to determine what % of n5 have this issue but a lot of people never even use bluetooth. My wife never has.
    I don't think it is a common problem. Only a few people here and a couple on XDA forums. Out of millions of phones sold. No one here has reported the problem again after an exchange or repair. I've been using my repaired phone for several days now and the BT range is still excellent.
    11-25-2015 08:33 PM
    I got my replacement. Bluetooth is working great. Hope it stays this way.

11-25-2015 08:39 PM
    i have a dual sim 32gb note 5. within a week, i have to send it for repair for bt problem.
    phone m/board changed, problem reoccurred in few days, the second time they got me a new unit.

i'm starting to suspect this could be due to the wireless charger.
    anyone with bluetooth issue (extremely low range) using wireless charger as well?
    11-28-2015 04:48 AM
    i'm starting to suspect this could be due to the wireless charger.
    anyone with bluetooth issue (extremely low range) using wireless charger as well?
    I use a old (std charge rate) Qi charger. About a week since main board replacement and BT is still strong. Knock on wood.

11-28-2015 05:21 AM
    This happened on my LG G3 and G4 also. Drop frequency seems to be a function of paired device. Bluebird X and X2 drop mute frequently than Motorola headphones.

11-28-2015 03:37 PM
    I'm experiencing this issue as well, likely have been since day one but it hasn't bothered me enough until I recently got a Fitbit and tried to pair/sync.

Phone was purchased the weekend of release from a Best Buy. I have three connected Bluetooth devices, a car audio system, UE Boom Speaker and now a Fitbit. I always noticed that the car audio would work fine, but the UE Boom wouldn't. I chalked it up to some issue between the two devices that I'd worry about later.

From reading this thread, it's obvious that the bluetooth issue is entirely with the phone. When not connected to Wifi (IE: In the car) I get about 10 feet of range and can put the phone in my pocket and have no issues. When Wifi is connected, the device literally has to be within inches of the phone. I can't use the portable speaker unless they are next to each other. Same now with the Fitbit. With wifi on, I have to have the phone sitting on my wrist essentially and sometimes hit sync multiple times.

My problem with a replacement, is that my phone was recently dropped (by a friend) and there's a small crack in bottom front glass. It's just over the back button, not on the screen itself, so my plan was to just deal with it since it doesn't affect the screen. But is there any way I can go to AT&T for a replacement and NOT have them charge me to fix the glass? I contacted Samsung about the glass and they quoted $240 for a fix, which I just can't justify. I'd be so mad if I went through a return/replacement, only to get billed or be told after a few weeks of waiting "here's your phone back, no fix unless you pay"

Any insight? I guess I can at least head to AT&T and see if they think they can do anything for me.
    11-29-2015 10:08 AM
    My replacement Note 5 is now doing it again! Its exactly the same. It took about a month then BAM! It just started out of nowhere. It may be related to Wi-Fi, as I never use Wi-Fi to connect to Internet but I do use Hotspot all the time. It started happening again after using my Hotspot for an entire day.

I'm not sure what to do now. I love this phone and all of its features but there is no way I will be able to keep this phone beyond the warranty period as I will never trust that it won't happen again out of warranty. I may use my "jump" option on t-mobile to get out of it right away now instead of continuing to pay monthly for it. I still owe almost $400 for this thing!

This first replacement was a brand new phone (not refurbished) too, just like the original I bought on launch day.

What would you guys do after TWO replacements for the same issue?
    11-30-2015 10:25 AM
    I doubt they will let you switch phones so try #3? I mean what else can you do?
    11-30-2015 11:45 AM
    I think the Bluetooth problem is in large part an issue with Lollipop, I have seen posts about other phones having problems with Bluetooth as well.

I was having problems with my car randomly dropping a call or the person on the other end could not hear me, which happened almost every time I used the Handsfree calling, never happened with streaming music through Bluetooth to the car. Only had problems in my car, not my wife's car. I experienced other issues as well with Bluetooth, this was not just on the Note 5, but also on the Note 3 after it got the Lollipop update.

The only thing that I found that resolves my issue is an app called Bluetooth Phonebook. I can't say that the Bluetooth is perfect now, but I have no more problems with Handsfree calling. I think that the Bluetooth in Lollipop may have some bugs that presents itself with some devices and hopefully this will be resolved by Android 6.0 (Marshmallow).
    11-30-2015 12:33 PM
    This is all so frustrating. Even if I get to do a replacement, seems like the issue persists on a majority of the phones out there. Most people just dont' notice since they dont' pair a smartwatch. I chalked it up as an issue with my BT speaker until I got the FitBit.

I really hope this is something Samsung can address in a firmware/software update. Whenever the next one comes.
    11-30-2015 12:52 PM
    Good news.

I called t-mobile today and got tier 2 support. They know of htis problem and told me Samsung is working on a software update to address this issue.

Samsung has told t-mobile that it is a software issue

So I am going to hang onto this phone until they release this update.
    Matt Behnken likes this.
    11-30-2015 01:35 PM
    Good news.

I called t-mobile today and got tier 2 support. They know of htis problem and told me Samsung is working on a software update to address this issue.

Samsung has told t-mobile that it is a software issue

So I am going to hang onto this phone until they release this update.
    That's good to hear. Hopefully they can fix it soon.

11-30-2015 02:08 PM
257 ... 56789 ...