Note 5 Bluetooth issue

Mexico619

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a Verizon and a AT&T Note 5 and they both had Bluetooth problems. Mainly with my beats wireless. They'll connect, but after a while it'll drop connection. My Bluetooth headset to talk while I'm in the car works perfectly fine. I thought it was the beats, but on my iPad they work fine as well so I have no clue what to blame.

Posted via the Android Central App

Honda_Insight

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have trouble using bluetooth on my note 5 as well, first I didn't realise it. I use my bluetooth to connect to my bluetooth speaker. If i used it within around 1 meter, i have no issue, but when i moved to another room and seperate by door, it will disconnect. Tried to turn off the wifi, and no disconnect. How can I use streaming music to my bluetooth speaker if not using wifi as well -_-

Sounds like the same problem I had. Exchange it or return it to Samsung for repair. They replaced the main board in my Note 5 and bluetooth has worked fine for months now.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine a little over 2 months. I know it was working fine a few weeks ago. It still connects to my Sync system in my car, although I keep it about a foot away from the receiver. A few weeks ago I went to mess with my BB8 and the app wouldn't connect. Thought "no problem, I'll just reinstall". Didn't work. I also noticed that I couldn't locate my Tiles on my keys, except when they were sitting on my bedside table. The app couldn't find the Tile when it was in my pocket and the phone was all but directly over it. Experimented and found that both BB8 and the Tiles worked fine with my old Moto G. Found this thread and did the clearing of Bluetooth data, phone cache, etc.... no dice. Finally tried full reset....no dice.

After reading about the Samsung rep (or whatever they are) at Best Buy being helpful (and since I bought the phone there) I went in to see what they might recommend. I explained what seemed to be going on and hadn't yet said what steps I had already taken. Before I could even finish, the guy just said I could call the Samsung help/warranty service line that you could get in the stuff that came with the phone. Wouldn't even look at the phone to make sure I didn't just have BT turned off or something. I definitely call B.S. on the "When you’re looking for the next level of customer service, expertise, and support you need for any Samsung mobile device, think Best Buy." that they use to describe the Samsung Experience Shop. Don't try and advertise support and expertise if it's just knowing phone specs and how to activate the phone. Not pleased.

I then went to the AT&T store. At least there the guy listened and explained that they really were pretty much only sales and didn't have people there that could help with anything but the most basic tech issues and to call the 611 tech support.

I must say the AT&T tech person was very polite and helpful. Asked what the problem was and listened to what had I done already. Basically said I was making this call easy as I had already done everything they would ask me to do and they would get a warranty replacement sent out on Monday. (Hopefully that one won't have the same problem.)
I have had similar experience at Best Buy. On one occasion on a different Samsung phone a phone rep recommended going to Best Buy to have original firmware flashed onto phone. (no I never rooted the phone). In any event the guy in Samsung Experience at BB did not even know what "flash the firmware" meant. I'm serious. He also didn't know what "flash" meant other than to say rooting my phone breaks the warranty. I told him my phone was original vzw and had never been rooted and Samsung phone rep said to do this. He said he would mail my phone in for service free of charge (not the service, the shipping). I laughed and walked away.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered my Note 5 Gold edition from T-Mobile so this thread was disappointing to read. Hopefully I don't have any BT issues with mine, but I did have the S6 before and that had serious BT problems. Kind of weird because I currently have a S3 with Boost and the BT is fine with that. I can actually be in another room with the door shut and the BT will still be good. Unfortunately BT is a line of sight device so quite often if I turn my head away from the phone or go behind walls and such it can drop out.

Last edited:

tmccormick87

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Long story, lol.
I started reading this forum even before I got my Note5, as I knew it would come in handy, and I read the S5 forum a lot while I had it. I got my Note 5 two weeks ago last Saturday. I used my bluetooth earpiece a couple times and had no problem, so I mostly disregarded this thread. Couple days after that it started cutting in and out, and I thought it was because I was wearing a beanie over my earpiece. A day after that it started disconnecting and reconnecting constantly while the phone was in my back pocket, and simply wouldn't stay connected, so I came and read this thread. I tried every trick and tip I knew and then everything listed here, minus the factory reset, to no avail. Then I went back to the AT&T store, filled my guy in, and told him about this thread. It failed to work for him too, backing up my story. He had me call Samsung to document everything, and of course they told me to do a factory reset before calling them back the next day. Factory reset did not work, so I called Samsung back, but all they offered was to have me ship it to them for repair and they would ship it back. I cannot be without a phone, my husband is on an organ transplant list. I politely declined, but made sure Samsung documented my account with everything. I went back to my AT&T store, but my guy had the day off, and I preferred to wait for him, so I went home and spent the rest of the day experimenting with it.

Here's what I found. WiFi was definitely a factor, any time my phone was within wifi range, it disconnected or had the signal break up. Even with the wifi on the phone turned off. I wear my earpiece on my left ear, and I could block the signal simply by moving the phone to the right side of my head, putting it in my pocket or simply waving my hand in front of the phone. The only way the bluetooth would stay connected was to hold it right in front of my face. But if I was driving down a road, too fast for any wifi signal, it would stay connected with no problem, even in my pocked or behind the seat. But what good is that if someone wants to save data and say, stream Pandora, on wifi using a bluetooth earpiece? Nada.

My guy at AT&T was great, since I was still within the 14 days, he called it a factory defect out of the box, and got me a new one. We activated the new phone literally on the 14th day. I'm happy to say as of right now, the new phone is working fine!! I'm now past 14 days, so if something goes wrong with the replacement, the repair will be my only option, since it's still under warranty obviously. Fingers crossed that this is a normal phone, as I totally love the Note 5!!

Long story I know, but I wanted to be as clear as possible with the problems I had. It clearly seems to me to be a physical bluetooth/radio defect. I'm worried only because someone way back in this thread is on her 3rd phone! Fingers crossed.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence, was going to go get one today but I've read more than one thread about this issue. I need working Bluetooth. Might have to hold off.

Honda_Insight

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence, was going to go get one today but I've read more than one thread about this issue. I need working Bluetooth. Might have to hold off.

I wouldn't worry. A few people here, including me, have had the problem out of thousands of phones sold. If you do have the problem, the fix is easy, exchange if your carrier will, or return to Samsung to have the main board replaced. The Note 5 is the best phone I have ever owned.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry. A few people here, including me, have had the problem out of thousands of phones sold. If you do have the problem, the fix is easy, exchange if your carrier will, or return to Samsung to have the main board replaced. The Note 5 is the best phone I have ever owned.

I appreciate the input. I went and handled one today, it's easily a 1/2" taller than my G3, and OMG the bloat. But I'm still tempted....

kjwhite0530

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Next time buy directly from T-Mobile Retail Store, not an authorized dealer, but an actual T-Mobile Retail Store, some authorized dealer stores look like Retail Stores, but they are not. I've had my phone for 7mos, And It has been discovered, I have the same BT issue as you, after testing T-Mobile is sending me a new phone for $5 bucks, cause I have insurance on my Jump Plan. But I'm sorry to here you had to either buy another phone or deal with that issue.

nglandon

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issues on my AT&T Note 5. Tried everything and then some to troubleshoot including what's in this thread. I went to AT&T today and told them what was going on. They hooked me up with Tech Support and they are sending me a replacement phone under warranty. Simple as that. Hope everything works fine on the replacement phone. I'll keep you all posted.

tvomjo122

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problems with BT on my Verizon Note 5 and after the Marshmallow upgrade my BT connectivity is working great again. Don't know if it is a coincidence or the BT problem will come back again later on.

mbooth34

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
My blue tooth was working fine then I upgraded to 5.1.1 and it started dropping all the time with my car. It took me 20 mins to get it to pair again and now it drops several times when I'm talking on the phone or listening to music on my phone when connected to my car. So frustrating!

Also my Note 5 is not compatible with my Fitbit watch or an app we use at work, AT&T Push to talk.

Vinny905

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone ..new guy here.

I have been having issues with this Bluetooth on my N5 for 2 weeks now and the phone is only 2 months old! I tried all the troubleshooting stuff and nothing worked. It's now in for repair (warranty) at Samsung. The tech told me the motherboard needs to be replaced. It's definitely a hardware issue and I'm irrate that Samsung continues to hide this major fail under the rug. I spent a lot of money on this phone as did all of you and we deserve better !

Last edited:

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problems with BT on my Verizon Note 5 and after the Marshmallow upgrade my BT connectivity is working great again. Don't know if it is a coincidence or the BT problem will come back again later on.

I've been waiting for the MM update (AT&T) to see if it fixes my BT problem. If it doesn't, I'm heading to the store for repair. I left my BT off for about a week. Ran it today and it was so so. Cut out a few times but better than last week.

Vinny905

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I've been waiting for the MM update (AT&T) to see if it fixes my BT problem. If it doesn't, I'm heading to the store for repair. I left my BT off for about a week. Ran it today and it was so so. Cut out a few times but better than last week.

The tech at Samsung told me that this is a "known issue"and it's a Motherboard problem. It's not software related. I'm having mine serviced now .

jcjp13

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site

Could you let us know us know how your phone is holding up under marshmallow. Did the BT range issue come back?

Last edited: