No simultaneous voice and data on Note 5? - Verizon Wireless

intechtel

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Just got the note 5 today, and noticed while I was surfing the web that a message popped up when a call came in saying that I could not use mobile data while on a phone call? My S4, S5, and Note 4 all could without any special settings or anything.

Was this a known before launch?
Is there a setting that needs changed?
Is Verizon trying to monetize by charging for an additional feature?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

Just got the note 5 today, and noticed while I was surfing the web that a message popped up when a call came in saying that I could not use mobile data while on a phone call? My S4, S5, and Note 4 all could without any special settings or anything.

Was this a known before launch?
Is there a setting that needs changed?
Is Verizon trying to monetize by charging for an additional feature?

Thanks in advance!

Did you turn on Advanced Calling? It's a free feature. Settings -> Advanced Calling

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1197.jpg
    1197.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 548

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

The note 4 was the last major Verizon device to support simultaneous voice and data without volte. The current phones require volte /advanced calling 1.0 to achieve simultaneous voice and data over 4GLTE

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

amitmalhotradc

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
re:

As far as I understand it, Advanced Calling or VoLTE requires both devices in the call to be VoLTE-enabled and using Advanced Calling. Sort of like FaceTime on iPhones. Is that correct? If so, won't many users (who don't have such devices) be required to use CDMA? In other words, if you're using your Note 5 and calling someone who doesn't have a device that can use Advanced Calling, you would be on CDMA and not be able to get voice and data at the same time.

Or ... does the caller always send calls via Advanced Calling, and it converts somewhere on the network when the other party does not have Advanced Calling.

Thanks for any thoughts!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

As far as I understand it, Advanced Calling or VoLTE requires both devices in the call to be VoLTE-enabled and using Advanced Calling. Sort of like FaceTime on iPhones. Is that correct? If so, won't many users (who don't have such devices) be required to use CDMA? In other words, if you're using your Note 5 and calling someone who doesn't have a device that can use Advanced Calling, you would be on CDMA and not be able to get voice and data at the same time.

Or ... does the caller always send calls via Advanced Calling, and it converts somewhere on the network when the other party does not have Advanced Calling.

Thanks for any thoughts!
you can always use volte,even if the other side doesn't have a volte capable device. The best call quality though would be through 2 volte devices.

sx4dude2013

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

So if I enable VOLTE to get phone/data at the same time, will phone calls to landlines and normal calls now use data?
Or will this just allow me to broswer the web while talking on the phone, not using data for the "phone call" part?

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
re:

The "phone call part" should be included in the voice plan (I don't think VZW even sells minute packages anymore, everything's unlimited voice and messaging). And the "data part" should be broken out separately and count against your data bucket, just like any other data use. My N5 came with VOLTE enabled out of the box. Just checked now to be sure but it's on.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
re:

That bytes. I use that feature all the time. Someone calls to make plans, I put them on speaker while I either go into my calendar or onto the weather app to make plans.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
re:

I use voice and data together all the time. So I had to run a test to confirm. I called my office which has an after hours message that just repeats and then opened a browser to surf a few Google searches at random, worked with no issue. I have advanced calling enabled and was calling a landline.

CrystalStylez

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

AT&T has had this feature for years no turning on anything in settings, just saying not hating.

It's a limitation normally on CDMA but but adoption of LTE on CDMA is pretty much making this a non issue. I don't know why they would not enable this by default though. Maybe there are some drawbacks to using this.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up I had trouble enabling advanced calling on the phone. It didn't "take" even after a few tries rebooting each time. I enabled it via my verizon account page on a PC browser and it worked just fine. In case anyone is having trouble enabling it.... try that

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

So if I enable VOLTE to get phone/data at the same time, will phone calls to landlines and normal calls now use data?
Or will this just allow me to broswer the web while talking on the phone, not using data for the "phone call" part?
Phone calls so use minutes.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

The "phone call part" should be included in the voice plan (I don't think VZW even sells minute packages anymore, everything's unlimited voice and messaging). And the "data part" should be broken out separately and count against your data bucket, just like any other data use. My N5 came with VOLTE enabled out of the box. Just checked now to be sure but it's on.
Most likely he is on a legacy plan, probably with unlimited data.

DSHUDSON

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
FYI, Advanced Calling or VoLTE sucks, if you are in a bad area, it reqires such a strong signal you will start dropping call.. Trust me.

babygirl0419

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
FYI, Advanced Calling or VoLTE sucks, if you are in a bad area, it reqires such a strong signal you will start dropping call.. Trust me.
Yes and I drop them on a daily. I have all my bars and they still drop. Its gonna break my heart but I think this phone is going back. Thank God I still have my note 4.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what all the fuss is here. I've tested my simultaneous voice and data while on 4G, and it works great. Also, no dropped calls. In fact, I get better signal strength with this phone, than I did my Note 4

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad