"Fast" wireless charging?

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I know it's not the cable that came with the charger that I got for free from BB cause I plugged in directly to the phone and it's charging nicely now, but I went to bed last night at 2:30 and left the N5 on the Samsung charging pad (got the animation when I placed it) with the battery being 19% and I woke this morning at 8:00 to a 24% battery. So the questions that I have are is this normal? I looked at the charger box and it doesn't say it's the fast wireless charging pad but even so, isn't that a bit weak for wireless charging? Could there be an issue with the pad I have?

anon(45902)

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
thats very week.... ive noticed from mine... you have to use the cord the wireless charger comes with. I guess the ones that come with our note are too powerful and throw off the conductive charging (Some Electrician major explained it on xda but i dont understand) basically the stronger the power source the farther from the pad the phone has to be to compensate if its to close it wont hit correctly... I learned the hard way when my phone was charging correctly at work using the wireless chargers equipped cord... but only charged for 2 minutes at home on the note 5 cord and my phone almost died over night while on the wireless charger with the fast charger equipped. if you are using the cord that came with the wireless charger make sure your case isnt to thick. adjusting those should correct the problem for you. but from 0-100 should take only 2 1/2 hours roughly on the wireless charger.

P.S. if you wake up and the pad is blinking then it stopped charging somewhere along the way.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same experience last night. I woke up in the middle of the night and the charging pad was blinking so I looked at it and I was at 18%. I did put the pad connected to an old charger already in my room so I'm going to try with the cable and charger that came with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am using the cable the charger came with and I don't have a case on the N5. I just double checked and the charger is not the rapid charger but the oder one. I guess that's why they're being given away. Still, it should have charged completely in the time I had it on the charger (5.5 hours). I guess I'll have to go and spend some $$ on the rapid charger if this freebie doesn't work for me. I'm hoping this thing works so I can at least take it to work and use it there.

anon(45902)

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
im using the original non rapid charger as we speak at wok and it topped me off.... just go exchange it its possible you have a dud.. im going to try mine with out a case i never have. the guy from xda recommended trying to put a folded piece of paper between the phone and the charger if its not working for you.... try that see if you get better results.... and if that works then just get a case. or tape the paper there so you dont have to keep adjusting it everytime you lift and move your phone.

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the tylt vu charger and unfortunately it takes a bit of moving around to get it to charge. Once it does it stopped charging and when I woke up it only had 95% battery. Anyone else have this issue?

bojackr1

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the tylt vu charger and unfortunately it takes a bit of moving around to get it to charge. Once it does it stopped charging and when I woke up it only had 95% battery. Anyone else have this issue?

The first night that I had the phone I had a charging problem with the TYLT Vu charger. What did the next night was move the phone around on the charger until I found its sweet spot (my Nexus 6 just needs to be placed on it)
I have a Spigen case now so it makes my phone flat so I will report my findings as soon as I'm back from baecation!

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
First I wouldn't be two worried unless it happens repeatedly. I have had a similar experience a few times. I have a note 3 with a qi receiver coil. It has done it a few times. The first was when my original coil was failing. It happened repeatedly for about a week, then just completely failed. So that could be very bad. Then it probably happen twice since replacing the qi coil at random times. I just hope this isn't a sign of flakyness of the wireless tech in the phone.

The reason the charger would stop and you would be at 95% is because once the phone reaches 100% it goes into a maintenance molded of sort. Basically it will turn on and off wireless charging to keep you near 100%. If it didn't do that the battery would get overcharged and ruined.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I had a S6 edge and its the same thing. It will charge to 100% then stop charging. I plug in my phone over night, but the rest of the time I use the wireless charger.

MoebiusFactor

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Same here. I set the Note down on the wireless charger (free from BB) last night before bed with a charge of about 80% at that time. I got the pop up notification that it was indeed charging and went to bed. I woke up this morning to an 80% charge.

I'm using the same cable that came with the charger and the Note5 was perfectly centered on it. :-\

EDIT: The unit I have gives me a 3% charge when I use it. I tested it multiple times, even trying a piece of paper in between, which resulted in the same thing: a 3% gain every time (but then cuts out and stops charging). It must be a defective unit.

Last edited:

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Interesting to see others are having the same issue. I'll definitely want to play with this a bit more to make sure that I'm not doing anything incorrectly. I'll try the folder paper suggestion later when I'm home and if I can't get this to work I'll look to exchange it.

bsod6

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The wireless Samsung charger we have does not trickle charge. Once it hits 100%, it stops charging and the phone will begin to deplete. It says in the manual to remove phone once it's full. Not the best option for overnight charging. I have a few throughout my house to top off wherever I am.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the N5 on the free wireless charger (not the fast charger) that I got from BB. I put the phone on a few different times and each time it started the charge process but within 5-10 minutes the blue lights on the charger started blinking letting me know it wasn't charging. Then I took a piece of 8x10 paper and folded it in 4 and strangely enough it's been charging steady for the past 30 minutes. I even took the N5 off the charger and rotated it around and placed it back and it's still charging steady and, for the first time using the wireless charger the phone felt warm letting me know it's getting juice. Odd that a piece of paper would be the solution and it makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I think I found a solution for the tylt vu. I just (for now) folded up a piece of paper and put it at the bottom of the base . That allowed the phone to sit higher on the charger making for a perfect connection. I'll find out later if it will stay charging and keep everyone posted. Then I'll have to find a more permanent solution for the folded up paper because I'm not getting rid of my tylt!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I'm about to order a Note 5 but that's definitely a feature I want to work. I have a Nokia fatboy pillow next to my bed and a Nokia wireless charger on my desk at work.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a LG wireless Qi charging disc I've had since 2013, with my Note 5 and it works just fine. Takes about 2 hours or so to 100%. Not really worth getting the faster wireless charger just to shave off 30 min to me. I think your local Verizon store may still carry these for about $40. Mine does. AT&T doesn't sell these.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci