Note 5 screen issue when outdoors!

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Op it's not a defect. Please don't start an XDA style "DEFECT RMA TIME" thread. The super bright is only a temporary thing so you can see your display. Just be glad it's not a Nexus 6 display. You cannot see that thing at all in direct sunlight.

Posted via the Android Central App

I disagree, granted the Samsung IT phone rep stated that, "its not normal" only had my description to go off of, but as he said, "the goal is to make the phone more visible outdoors, not show blemishes"

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OldTrader

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed this issue on mine too in direct sunlight with the sun at my back. If I have the screen set to 100 percent brightness, the lines (more like dark chalk lines,) are not there. If I turn on auto brightness, they appear. It is easiest to see when you go into s-note and have a white screen. I tried to take pictures of it with my other phone, but the angles and lighting make it nearly impossible, though I can capture them using video. Unfortunately, I only have a couple of days left to decide whether this is reason enough to return or exchange my Note 5. I imagine the only other time I might see them is when using the camera, as another poster has already pointed out. I really hate knowing they are there on what should be a flawless phone at this price point.

Giorgi Bregvadze

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Are you talking about the Some sort of spots on the screen while using phone outdoors?

I purchased my Note 5 recently. I live in Georgia, Caucasus region. The phone works perfectly, however when turning the screen on in Outdoors under direct sunlight some sort of spots appear at thw right side of the screen, The spots are more visible when the brightness is at 100%, but are less visible when lowering the brightness settings. After moving to the indoor the spots dissappear even at 100% brightness.

The important issue is that these spots are visible only on the white background.

Is it normal for AMOLED display or it is a defect and should contact the tech service?

Last edited:

OldTrader

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I really can't say whether this is normal, or not, but I did choose to return my phone to BestBuy after discovering this issue. I then purchased another Note 5 from an ATT corporate store the next day and the new phone didn't have the screen problem when viewing light backgrounds outdoors. There is more info on the web about this, but IMO there should have been more if it were a common problem with the Note 5. In my case, returning it was the right thing to do, but YMMV.

Giorgi Bregvadze

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Would like to clarify: did your previous Note5 had these spots on the rights side of the screen and did it only appear on the white backgrounds in the direct sunlight?

And also is there any other source discussing this issue?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I just confirmed that my Note 5 does not have this problem. I looked at it in direct cloudless sunlight near noon, with text on a white background. It's very legible and there are no visible artifacts. I tried both auto brightness and manual 100%, with no problem either way. I don't recall ever seeing such a problem on my Note 4 either.

Giorgi Bregvadze

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I have never seen such issues on other devices as well. I used HTC one M7, M8, Nokia Lumia 1520, Google Nexus 4, 5, 6, however none of them had the same issue.

Recently I ran some display tests for Note 5, but no issues were found, no pixel defects identified, however these spots still appear under sunlight.

OldTrader

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Would like to clarify: did your previous Note5 had these spots on the rights side of the screen and did it only appear on the white backgrounds in the direct sunlight?

And also is there any other source discussing this issue?

You can find more reading, if you follow the URL found in post 14 of this thread. As for the issue on my phone, it was easily noticeable when outdoors on white screen backgrounds. For me, it was more of a dark chalky line on the right edge and top that looked as if some glue or adhesive had not been cleaned up, or had seeped out. It bugged me, even though I rarely used s-note outdoors. I further noticed I didn't have to be in direct sunlight, either. I could just sit in the car on a bright sunny day and the areas would actually be more visible in the non-direct sunlight. One more thing, if you don't use auto-brightness outdoors, you may not be able to see the areas, though on mine I could with the brightness settings all the way up.

Giorgi Bregvadze

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Seems the same for me. I Also checked it on indirect sunlight and the lines are visible. As explained at service desk it is a common problem for AMOLED displays. However when talking about premium phones, this issue should not exist.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems that many Note 5s have this problem and many (like mine) do not. So it may be worth exchanging your phone if yours does have the defect.

designerge30

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
unfortunately i still cant live with this problem in my s7 edge now i don't know what to do its new and i lose big amount in my previous phone s6 edge+ because of screen defects now in s7 edge i can see some spots under sunlight i get crazy i cant even forget it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1