08-26-2015 12:41 PM
48 12
tools
    Isn't the Note 5's screen supposed to be "much better" than the old Note 4 screen?

I'm confused by the lack of difference. I played with the Note 5 for about 15 minutes at the Verizon store today. Next to my current Note 4, the screen looked identical and I couldn't tell how the Note 5 screen is supposed to be better?

One thing that I did notice was that the Note 5 was much faster than my Note 4. (although that could be due to the fact that my Note 4 has close to 110 apps installed, including HERE navigation app with 6GB of offline data... my internal memory only has about 300MB of available space left... and the 200GB MicroSDXC card is also completely full)
    08-22-2015 07:58 PM
    Isn't the Note 5's screen supposed to be "much better" than the old Note 4 screen?

I'm confused by the lack of difference. I played with the Note 5 for about 15 minutes at the Verizon store today. Next to my current Note 4, the screen looked identical and I couldn't tell how the Note 5 screen is supposed to be better?

One thing that I did notice was that the Note 5 was much faster than my Note 4. (although that could be due to the fact that my Note 4 has close to 110 apps installed, including HERE navigation app with 6GB of offline data... my internal memory only has about 300MB of available space left... and the 200GB MicroSDXC card is also completely full)
    110 apps, good lawwwwwd!!!

~Blessed From My Note 4~
    nokia4life and 05GT like this.
    08-22-2015 08:21 PM
    My note 5 has 170 apps and it's sooooo fast

Note 5 is DOPE
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    08-22-2015 08:33 PM
    I've never heard any reports of the Note 5's screen being significantly better than the Note 4's screen. In fact, everyone expected the screens to be the same. The only difference any review has noted has been that the Note 5 is brighter.
    tippmann15 and Baby_Doc like this.
    08-22-2015 08:36 PM
    Who told you the Note 5 screen was "Much better" then the Note 4's already excellent screen? Nowhere have I heard or read that.

I have both the Note 4 and Note 5. Both have excellent screens. The Note 5's is better though by a bit. It's a bit brighter, a bit crisper, and also has a denser screen (more lines show up in your Gmail, or on a web site, etc), so things are slightly smaller on screen. The 5 also has a more neutral or blueish white, compared to my Note 4's slightly yellow white (I prefer the bluer look, but that is totally subjective).

15 minutes in a bright store is some time, but probably enough time to notice all these things I bet.

Bottom line for me: The Note 4 screen is fantastic. The Note 5 screen is slightly better in a few ways. YMMV I suppose.
    08-22-2015 08:38 PM
    While I agree with dsignori about the brightness of it, it's definitely not a denser screen (both have same resolution). More lines show up because default text is smaller.

When I used my 4 and 5 side by side, I saw much better color reproduction... so much better I now thing there was something maybe wrong with my individual Note 4.

The one thing I did hear from the Samsung release was that the Note 5 screen is more power efficient.
    08-22-2015 08:49 PM
    Actually he likely got the higher density information from right here on the AC Note 5 full review.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Isn't the Note 5's screen supposed to be "much better" than the old Note 4 screen?-677.jpg  
    08-22-2015 09:30 PM
    My note 5 has 170 apps and it's sooooo fast

Note 5 is DOPE
    Wow lol
    I used to keep a lot of apps but I realized I never used most of them, so I keep them minimal

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!
    08-22-2015 09:35 PM
    Note 5 is better than note 4 display. They use different panels anyways. 2 months ago I got 2 regular s6e 128 models and one came with 5.02 installed and the screen was not as good as the one that came with 5.1.1 installed. There was a noticeable difference. The one with 5.1.1 obviously had a better panel because it was newer.

08-22-2015 09:42 PM
    Actually he likely got the higher density information from right here on the AC Note 5 full review.

Yeah it's a software thing, not literally denser pixels. Perhaps I'm incorrect and the terminology for setting things to be smaller on the device is actually called "denser"
    08-22-2015 09:59 PM
    I'm sitting here with both my Note 4 and Note 5 side by side as a prepare to sell the Note 4. The Note 5 is slightly more vibrant and crisp.
    08-22-2015 10:11 PM
    Note 5 is a much better screen indoors. Outdoors you have the defect where under bright conditions you can see the display housing through the touch panel. Looks pretty bad but not a deal breaker. All in all in much prefer the note 5 screen.
    08-22-2015 10:43 PM
    Note 5 is a much better screen indoors. Outdoors you have the defect where under bright conditions you can see the display housing through the touch panel. Looks pretty bad but not a deal breaker. All in all in much prefer the note 5 screen.
    wait, what? more details on this defect, please!

I'm a very anal person when it comes to something like that. Just how bad is it? I use my phone outdoors mostly.(construction work on a 58-story building)

Thanks!
    08-22-2015 10:50 PM
    Yeah it's a software thing, not literally denser pixels. Perhaps I'm incorrect and the terminology for setting things to be smaller on the device is actually called "denser"
    The only reference to density I had seen was the one I quoted above. So I had to look into this a little deeper just to see why AC article would mention a difference if there isn't one. What I found was a spec table that list both screens with the same resolution however it list the Note 4 at 5.7" and the Note 5 at 5.66". Density is said to be 515 ppi on the Note 4 and 519 ppi on the 5. Lol, I'm just thinking 4 ppi is not something too many people are going to notice without the two phones side by side on the same view and then only if you are trying to find a difference.

Ref: https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-g...e-5-comparison

Attached Thumbnails Isn't the Note 5's screen supposed to be "much better" than the old Note 4 screen?-683.jpg  
    Baby_Doc likes this.
    08-23-2015 05:54 AM
    I was at a Verizon store with my dad checking out Samsungs new offerings and when I held my dads Note 4 next to the new 5, my dad goes, "WOW, that screen (N5) looks better than mine!". I tell him he has a low res wallpaper and on 60% brightness thats why. I quickly look for a nice high res pic on Zedge and blast the brightness to 100% like on the N5 and they looked like twins! We left happy knowing the N4 still looks great although my dad did like the S6 edge+.
    08-23-2015 07:18 AM
    The only reference to density I had seen was the one I quoted above. So I had to look into this a little deeper just to see why AC article would mention a difference if there isn't one. What I found was a spec table that list both screens with the same resolution however it list the Note 4 at 5.7" and the Note 5 at 5.66". Density is said to be 515 ppi on the Note 4 and 519 ppi on the 5. Lol, I'm just thinking 4 ppi is not something too many people are going to notice without the two phones side by side on the same view and then only if you are trying to find a difference.

Ref: https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-g...e-5-comparison

Ah! So that's how they got the Note 5 less wide than the Note 4. Slimming down the display just that tiny bit.
    08-23-2015 08:15 AM

My Note 5 looks great outside, just like my Note 4 does. Not sure what this is about.
    08-23-2015 10:02 AM
    My Note 5 looks great outside, just like my Note 4 does. Not sure what this is about.
    Maybe he has xray vision?? LOL!!
    08-23-2015 10:53 AM
    Every Note 5 and S6 I have seen have had the "issue" he's talking about. Use your phone in direct sunlight with auto brightness on, you will see it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-23-2015 11:02 AM
    I've seen it on the 4. It's only when it's REALLY bright out and even then only sometimes. It's so rare for me I had to look it up before I remembered what it was
    08-23-2015 11:37 AM

As we appreciate, the review does not make it correct though Same 1440p res on 5.7" and the difference is the UI has been made with smaller icons and fonts. Not a hardware difference, but a software difference. I can make my Note 4 "more dense" with Nova.

Another funny display thing is folks comparing displays. If settings are not the same, of course one will look different from the other I see zero difference other than the icons now look like they do with my Nova settings adjusted smaller on the Note 4.

1-(515/519)= .07707 So if I round up the Note 5 is technically 1% more dense.
    08-23-2015 12:39 PM
    I absolutely agree rushmore, the review doesn't make it so. Just pointing out what was said right here on the AC site.

I also think if it is true that the Note 5 screen is 5.66" at the same resolution, it is pretty much insignificant. Both devices have and amazing screen.

rushmore likes this.
    08-23-2015 01:14 PM
    Note 5 is better than note 4 display. They use different panels anyways. 2 months ago I got 2 regular s6e 128 models and one came with 5.02 installed and the screen was not as good as the one that came with 5.1.1 installed. There was a noticeable difference. The one with 5.1.1 obviously had a better panel because it was newer.

It's not uncommon for the same exact phones to look slightly different. Color tones can vary from phone to phone.

08-23-2015 01:17 PM
    As we appreciate, the review does not make it correct though Same 1440p res on 5.7" and the difference is the UI has been made with smaller icons and fonts. Not a hardware difference, but a software difference. I can make my Note 4 "more dense" with Nova.

Another funny display thing is folks comparing displays. If settings are not the same, of course one will look different from the other I see zero difference other than the icons now look like they do with my Nova settings adjusted smaller on the Note 4.

1-(515/519)= .07707 So if I round up the Note 5 is technically 1% more dense.
    If you change the font size larger on the Note 5, does it appear like the Note 3 & 4 throughout the phone (contacts, messages, homescreen)? I was worried reading the review that people coming from the 3 and 4 might have a harder time because everything looks smaller. I plan to go in to test this on the display unit. I thought the screen of the 5 looked better too. The bluish hue seems brighter than my yellowish with same brightness levels. Nice.
    08-23-2015 01:21 PM
    Every Note 5 and S6 I have seen have had the "issue" he's talking about. Use your phone in direct sunlight with auto brightness on, you will see it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'll take your word for it. I still don't see it, or maybe I just don't notice it. In any case, my display looks great outside...
    08-23-2015 05:10 PM
48 12