The Note 5 that I wasn't going to like or buy

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I was dead set against buying the Note 5. I didn't like it. It doesn't have a SD card or removable battery. It's glass back is a finger print and scratch magnet, and it has been locked down tighter than a drum bootloaders.

The faults I have for the phone are still there, but I am liking the phone regardless of them.

I have a Incipeo case ordered for it and should be in soon. I am getting usable battery life that gets me through the day and evening before charging. I got the 64 gig AT&T sapphire black version so I have manageable on board storage. The bootloaders being locked down is the only thing I can do nothing about right now as it stands today, until the developers can come up with a good workable solution.

Like I said I was dead set against buying it, but as my dear Grandmother always said to me... " A wiseman will always be able to change his mind, but a fool never does."

I don't know why I am so blockheaded at times, but I can apologize for being so, and I do.

This is a great phone just as what was pointed out by Andrew in his recent article about it here. You were right about it Andrew and I was wrong in questioning your opinion. While at the time I may have thought it sounded like a Samsung advert and said so, you were spot on in your description of the phone, and my ignorance showed through in my comments. I am very sorry for doubting you on this.

I still don't like having to send a phone in if the battery goes bad, that is my biggest concern since I have had sealed batteries die my last HTC m8 did this, but all my other issues can be gotten around quite easily if needed to be.

This phone is beautiful, fast, and sexy for lack of better words and those who actually get some quality time with one will see.

It's not perfect for everyone, this is true, but what it does bring into the equation is exceptional styling and usability for most situations.

I do hope that Samsung brings the Active version out, since it is waterproof and dustproof since that is a valid concern I have now, but one must be more cautious about it as most phones share this same trait.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I wish more people that were so dead set against this phone was more like you. Good post!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
It's a great phone, in this there is no doubt.

I let my blockheadedness get in the way of seeing past the (to me) minor things about this phone and dismissed the pros given about it.

I already knew how the new TouchWiz was, coming from the s6 Active,but also knew 32 gigs of storage on board was just not enough for my needs. The otg solutions aren't good enough yet for everyday use for my taste and can be detrimental to the micro usb port as well. Samsung really needs to make sure that everyone has a opportunity to have as much as possible on all carriers here as well as make sure the phones are available everywhere too.

Things fell into place for me to be able to have this phone and I am glad that they did. My son wanted and got my 2 month old Active and I was able to use his upgrade and his old iPhone 4s to get this one with a total of $245 in Best Buy gift cards.

My wife says " Everything for a reason" and I believe her.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Great post, I have had the phone since last week and love it. Great camera, battery life is pretty good, and the phone feels great in hand. Glad to hear you changed your mind and gave it a shot.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure the Note 5 has some things to enjoy about it. I feel like the battery issue, if a anything, would give me a solid excuse to upgrade my phone more often. The battery hasn't been a problem in all my iPhones so I guess it may be okay in the sPhones. I can live w/out the SD card as 32 and 64GB is enough for me. Those things aside the Note 5 is a decent device for sure.

from the Elegance

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear.

I as well had absolutely zero interest in the Note 5 when it was first announced. Now? Well I've had it for about 4 days and absolutely adore it.

Posted via the Android Central App

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't think too many will commit to what the Note 5 cost and then turn around and say they don't love it. If you decide to jump in to the Note 5 you almost have to at least say you like it no? Not that there is much reason besides that which has been beaten to death already to not love it. It's a decent phone. Heck, it has 4GB of RAM, a fast SoC, a nice screen, a great camera, a decent battery, and a better S Pen. There's enough to like for many.

from the Elegance

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't think too many will commit to what the Note 5 cost and then turn around and say they don't love it. If you decide to jump in to the Note 5 you almost have to at least say you like it no? Not that there is much reason besides that which has been beaten to death already to not love it. It's a decent phone. Heck, it has 4GB of RAM, a fast SoC, a nice screen, a great camera, a decent battery, and a better S Pen. There's enough to like for many.

from the Elegance

With the "jump" and "jump on demand" (T-Mobile) or other programs, you don't have to love it for long. If you're on those.

MDMcAtee: Great post. I'm not too worried about the battery. On my S5 that I got on launch day and had until Friday, I only pulled the battery a few times when it died on me, but there is the reset option on this and I've used it on other phones. Also my S5 lasted long enough for me, through work and most of the evening if not all the evening, depending on my usage. I opted for a portable charger with my upgrade, just in case.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as OP. I kept seeing little things about this phone and my curiosity got the best of me. I had to run by my local Verizon store just to get a look first hand. When I went to the "All Programs" shortcut and it opened almost instantly I was impressed. Moving from the camera to the gallery was where I had the most lag on my Note 4 so that was the next little test I had to try. Wow, I'm now sporting a new note 5. Awesome device, definitely a device you should test before passing final judgment.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got done playing with it for a good 15-20 minutes at best buy and I thought with me being a student the glass back, non-removable battery and no SD card option would be a problem, but I'm willing to work around all these things for the awesomeness that is the note 5's feel in hand, camera, and ease of use. The note 4 is great, no doubt, but lollipop killed my battery and I don't want to wait another 3 months to fix it and keep replacing the battery every day. The smaller size of the note 5 actually benefits me because one handed use just became 2x easier. I was a fence sitter, but I'm actually starting to think the note 5 is a pretty decent upgrade and worth the "jump" t-mobile offers me. I'll probably pick up a 64gb black sapphire one in the coming week. It'll be my graduation present to myself, lol.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

from the Elegance

I would suggest that is a bit more than nice. It currently has the fastest SoC, the best screen on any phone ever produced, the best camera in blind photo test with everyday users of the top 5 best phones, the most well reviewed and innovative body design,most RAM on any phone, and the fastest memory on any phone.. I would suggest it is very very nice. :cool:
Everyone's mileage may vary.

cortezi

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
the only way i'll know if i will/will not like the "latest iteration of a desirable object" (in this case the N5) is to test drive it (if i can afford it) and then rationalize (to myself) the cost and any compromises i'll have to make to use the desirable object. i'm currently in the "rationalization phase" of my N5 test ... :cool: nonetheless, i appreciate and commend the OP for his willingness to share his thoughts/feedback about the "polarizing" N5. :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest that is a bit more than nice. It currently has the fastest SoC, the best screen on any phone ever produced, the best camera in blind photo test with everyday users of the top 5 best phones, the most well reviewed and innovative body design,most RAM on any phone, and the fastest memory on any phone.. I would suggest it is very very nice. :cool:
Everyone's mileage may vary.
All tempered by that which has already been beaten to death.

from my old nexus 5

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The battery life has been great for me. I really thought it would be an issue when I got rid of my Note 4 for the S6. The S6 battery was mediocre at best. It was decent for me at first but it appeared to get worse over time. After purchasing a tiny, pocketable Anker 10,000 mah charger off Amazon which is Quick Charge 2.0 compatible my concerns disappeared. To me, just as convenient as having a spare battery and much more capacity on me at all times. I carry it with me every day and top it off every night. Honestly, haven't even needed it with the Note 5 like I did with the S6 but good to have just in case.

This phone was kind of an impulse buy for me. I was fully intent on getting the next iteration of the iPhone 6 Plus to replace my current 6 plus and passing on the Note 5. Just went all in on the Apple Watch and really love it but had to go into the store and try the Note 5. Yeah, no way I could walk out of the store without this. Paid a few bucks to make my s6 JUMP eligible with T-Mobile and have not put this phone down since. Now I have an Apple Watch that I love but can't use lol.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The battery life has been great for me. I really thought it would be an issue when I got rid of my Note 4 for the S6. The S6 battery was mediocre at best. It was decent for me at first but it appeared to get worse over time. After purchasing a tiny, pocketable Anker 10,000 mah charger off Amazon which is Quick Charge 2.0 compatible my concerns disappeared. To me, just as convenient as having a spare battery and much more capacity on me at all times. I carry it with me every day and top it off every night. Honestly, haven't even needed it with the Note 5 like I did with the S6 but good to have just in case.

This phone was kind of an impulse buy for me. I was fully intent on getting the next iteration of the iPhone 6 Plus to replace my current 6 plus and passing on the Note 5. Just went all in on the Apple Watch and really love it but had to go into the store and try the Note 5. Yeah, no way I could walk out of the store without this. Paid a few bucks to make my s6 JUMP eligible with T-Mobile and have not put this phone down since. Now I have an Apple Watch that I love but can't use lol.
Have both android and iOS....that's what I do use the apple watch when carrying the iPhone and Android wear even carrying an android device

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Have both android and iOS....that's what I do use the apple watch when carrying the iPhone and Android wear even carrying an android device

Yeah I have the Moto 360 as well but don't particularly care for it. I've created quite the conundrum. I miss the Apple Watch when I'm carrying my Note 5 but I miss my Note 5 if I carry my 6 plus to satisfy my Apple Watch urge. I find myself missing the Note 5 more when I don't have it and I, like the OP, was dead set against buying it after announced.

scvette_7

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I was actually going to buy a iPhone 6 plus sat. Stopped into best buy to see the note 5 and I bought it. The rep said I have 14 days to return if I don't like it. I didn't want to like it. I love it lol. I am going to return it for the 64gig tho.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie