This somewhat implies that the Note 4 will not be compatible with Samsung Pay

It looks like Samsung’s latest phablet devices are selling quite well according to KoreaTimes. One of the key selling points of these devices seems to be Samsung Pay, which has already gone live in South Korea. Owners of the Galaxy Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 edge+ can use this feature out of the box.

These two phablets have managed to sell over 100,000 units combined three days following their launch, which is higher than the sales figure of the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge during their initial launch days last September.
    08-24-2015 11:55 AM
    I thought they always said Samsung Pay wasn't compatible with older products... They don't have the hardware for the magnetic reader thing, after all. If anything a stripped-down version would work, one that only used NFC for payments, like Google Wallet...in which case, well, use Google Wallet hehe
    08-24-2015 12:05 PM
    The only thing is that the Note 4 was only available in South Korea in September, it launched in other markets through out October. The Note Edge didn't show up until November.
    Miller6386 likes this.
    08-24-2015 12:24 PM
    I thought they always said Samsung Pay wasn't compatible with older products... They don't have the hardware for the magnetic reader thing, after all. If anything a stripped-down version would work, one that only used NFC for payments, like Google Wallet...in which case, well, use Google Wallet hehe
    Ahhh I never knew that...looks like a lot of Note 4 users will be pissed about this
    08-24-2015 12:59 PM
    Ahhh I never knew that...looks like a lot of Note 4 users will be pissed about this
    As a Note 4 user I couldn't care less. I can still pull out my credit card. I know some somewhere see the draw of Samsung Pay but I do not. I can't imagine a situation where I would need to pay for something and have a phone but not have my credit/check card. The technology is neat, no doubt, but, for me, the usefulness is somewhat questionable. I can't be that unique in this feeling.

from the Elegance
    08-24-2015 01:45 PM
    As a Note 4 user I couldn't care less. I can still pull out my credit card. I know some somewhere see the draw of Samsung Pay but I do not. I can't imagine a situation where I would need to pay for something and have a phone but not have my credit/check card. The technology is neat, no doubt, but, for me, the usefulness is somewhat questionable. I can't be that unique in this feeling.

from the Elegance
    Yeah, I know what you mean
    Even if I have my phone, Ill still be carrying my wallet with all my cards on it. I'll try Samsung Pay and will try and use it often, but I'll see if it actually replaces my wallet
    tadpoles likes this.
    08-24-2015 01:48 PM
    Yeah only the 6 line and note 5 and those that have yet to be made(and apparently only if yer not on verizon) will be eligible for Samsung Pay. Only the newest phones have an MST (Magnetic secure Technology) chip in them. Without the chip, you would only be able to use NFC (Near Field communication).

There is also Android pay coming out which uses strictly NFC. Devices like the Note 4 and previous Galaxy S series phones with nFC built in, will be able to use that.

The biggest difference is with MST, you don't have to worry if the register uses NFC or not. Just stick the phone next to where you slide you credit card (that's where the magnetic part come in) and yer done.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
    64 GB
    Black Sapphire
    Paired with Samsung Gear 2 Neo
    Sprint PCS
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-24-2015 01:50 PM

from the Elegance
    The neat part is you can leave your wallet home and still have all your credit cards available and being able to pay pretty much anywhere where credit cards are accepted (won't work in slide-in readers apparently, though, like at gas stations). The advantage? Your credit card information is NEVER shared with the merchant. Sort of like using PayPal. So if the merchant has a data breach or a malicious dude at the register, they still never have your actual creditcard information.

That and how cool will it be when you swipe your phone over a credit card terminal (especially those phone plug-in dongle ones) and see the merchant's puzzled face when it works!
    08-24-2015 01:59 PM
    Unfortunately as a Verizon customer I will not get the chance to see the merchant's expression. No Samsung Pay for us.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-24-2015 02:03 PM
    The neat part is you can leave your wallet home and still have all your credit cards available and being able to pay pretty much anywhere where credit cards are accepted (won't work in slide-in readers apparently, though, like at gas stations). The advantage? Your credit card information is NEVER shared with the merchant. Sort of like using PayPal. So if the merchant has a data breach or a malicious dude at the register, they still never have your actual creditcard information.

That and how cool will it be when you swipe your phone over a credit card terminal (especially those phone plug-in dongle ones) and see the merchant's puzzled face when it works!
    So carry my ID but not my credit cards? It will be interesting to see how many people do this. The part about being less vulnerable to a data breach is not unattractive but Samsung Pay is not a feature I would select a phone for, its not hurting anything though, yet. I've tried the NFC payment options and they were interesting and novel.

from the Elegance
    08-24-2015 02:16 PM
    NFC payments are quite nice, but most terminals aren't yet NFC compatible. Magnetic strip readers, however, are quite ubiquitous, so Samsung Pay does help a lot in that regard. I agree, however, that though a nice feature, it wouldn't be a decisive factor for me. But a very nice one to have.
    08-24-2015 03:00 PM
    I on the other hand, have to admit that MST and Samsung Pay was almost entirely my reason for upgrading. I like that none of your actual card info is given to the teller. Being a truck driver, and having to swipe my card all over the US, is a pain. I have had my card info a few times, and being without a card till I get home really sucks. Now if someone takes the info from that transaction, it will be useless. As its only good for that transaction. The only concern have yet to have answered is, if its only good for one transaction, what happens in the event of a refund.

Sent from my:

Beautiful Note V
    64 GB
    Black Sapphire
    Paired with Samsung Gear 2 Neo
    Sprint PCS
    08-24-2015 03:28 PM

from the Elegance
    As a business man who wears dress slacks every day, I can't wait for Samsung Pay. I keep my wallet in my desk drawer, but always have my phone on me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    smooth4lyfe and SpookDroid like this.
    08-24-2015 06:18 PM
    Unfortunately as a Verizon customer I will not get the chance to see the merchant's expression. No Samsung Pay for us.

Did you call vzw and verify that? I did and was assured by three different people that Pay is coming to vzw s6's and note 5's. Those were on three separate calls done for various reasons. I was told that it would be pushed out by Samsung when they are ready.
    08-24-2015 06:30 PM
    Called Samsung and the rep said will not be available on Verizon. Also this morning the Verizon CSR said that Verizon would not be supporting Samsung Pay.

08-24-2015 06:41 PM
    Called Samsung and the rep said will not be available on Verizon. Also this morning the Verizon CSR said that Verizon would not be supporting Samsung Pay.
    Things change all the time.
    08-24-2015 07:20 PM
    Still gonna use my debit card for drive through cuz I'm sure not sticking my N5 to the employee to "swipe". Lol....

smooth4lyfe, jdfry15 and tadpoles like this.
    08-24-2015 08:20 PM
    Still gonna use my debit card for drive through cuz I'm sure not sticking my N5 to the employee to "swipe". Lol....

Lmaoooo true true

08-24-2015 08:28 PM

Hahahaha right
    I wouldn't dare give my phone to someone in the drive thru... Might be waiting longer than anticipated... And no longer have a phone

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!
    08-24-2015 08:36 PM
    Strange question but do you think you could use Samsung Pay at gas pumps?

Sent from my awesome Note 5
    08-24-2015 09:22 PM
    So carry my ID but not my credit cards? It will be interesting to see how many people do this. The part about being less vulnerable to a data breach is not unattractive but Samsung Pay is not a feature I would select a phone for, its not hurting anything though, yet. I've tried the NFC payment options and they were interesting and novel.

from the Elegance
    That's what I will probably do. Smaller the wallet the better

08-24-2015 09:25 PM
    Strange question but do you think you could use Samsung Pay at gas pumps?

Sent from my awesome Note 5
    Not if the pump has a slide-in reader, only if it has a swipe one.
    08-24-2015 10:32 PM