Default Apps "Open with"

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else notice they got rid of the "open with" feature when opening files or attachments? Went to go open a PDF that someone sent me via gmail and chose to open with a specific app. The device usually asks me to choose "just now" or set default. The device didn't ask me this and now I have to go to default app section in settings and clear the option if I want to open the file with a different app. Am I missing something here?

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you choose Always (set default), you won't be asked any more. If that happens when you choose "just now", something's wrong. In that case, I'd bring the phone back to the carrier and ask them what's up. (It could be a bug in the first roll-out.)

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
If you choose Always (set default), you won't be asked any more. If that happens when you choose "just now", something's wrong. In that case, I'd bring the phone back to the carrier and ask them what's up. (It could be a bug in the first roll-out.)

The problem is that it doesn't ask you to choose "Always" - it just asks you to pick the app once, at which point it automatically makes it default. Then you have to go into the menuing system and choose to clear the defaults for a particular app.

I have no idea what was wrong with the old system where you could EITHER choose to make it default or choose to just let it open an app once. For some reason, they took this option away and make it default once you choose the app no matter what.

I don't think it's a bug because they give you a popup explanation after choosing the app which tells you to go into the menu to clear the default if you don't want it. It was a design decision, perhaps just not the right one.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have noticed this as well and it is very annoying. I may be comparing apps to see what works best with what, but now we don't have that option and some files work better with some apps than others. They need to change this back. I don't remember what I set as default half the time to open a file and it makes it difficult to go back and reset it from the app mangler.

Posted via the Android Central App

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Very annoying! Old way was fine why change it ? How do we ***** at Samsung with suggestions for changes?

Unfortunately it doesn't matter. It would be a waste of time. Samsung will not push out an update fixing this anytime soon. I have my fingers crossed for the Android Marshmallow update to fix this. Hopefully!

Kevin Aaronson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else notice they got rid of the "open with" feature when opening files or attachments? Went to go open a PDF that someone sent me via gmail and chose to open with a specific app. The device usually asks me to choose "just now" or set default. The device didn't ask me this and now I have to go to default app section in settings and clear the option if I want to open the file with a different app. Am I missing something here?

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

"App picker classic" on google play helps a bunch.
My first post, so I can't post links, but I found this forum search for a fix, thought I would share with you.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
"App picker classic" on google play helps a bunch.
My first post, so I can't post links, but I found this forum search for a fix, thought I would share with you.

Didn't work on my phone. I was in Google, clicked on a link, one choice was Pinterest and choose it. Did a different search and clicked on a Pinterest link and it went straight to Pinterest without any other choices.

Posted via the *Note 5*

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Default Apps "Open with"

Anyone tried Better Open With

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.aboutmycode.betteropenwith&token=XfzbWXTZ
d5090fb621bef08d77000de5065362f7.jpg

cc45bd7a4633ec4485eb192a51bf5060.jpg

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Didn't work on my phone. I was in Google, clicked on a link, one choice was Pinterest and choose it. Did a different search and clicked on a Pinterest link and it went straight to Pinterest without any other choices.

Posted via the *Note 5*

After installing the App Picker, when you are prompted to select something, select the App Picker. Then next time you select an option the app picker pops up with all your choices.

Posted via the Android Central App using the AT&T Note 5, 64GB

Terri Farrell

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Better Open with helps with most apps but not all. This has been driving me crazy! Sometimes I want to use my personal email app and sometimes my work.

scottwood2

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thx for the info. App picker classic looks good but looking at the stats I see that it has not been updated since Sept 2013 and is unrated. Anyone having issues on the Note 5?

Better open with is more current but some are saying that it is not working for all apps?

Thx

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae