08-07-2017 09:21 AM
62 123
tools
    I also hit this issue when "save email to" and select Bluetooth by accidentally in CloudMagic.
    03-15-2016 04:52 AM
    I'm getting the same problem. Some videos on my device work better with a specific app, other videos with another app, so I like to be able to choose between two apps for opening a file. My Galaxy S7 with Android Marshmallow has removed that option, and it's extremely irritating, not to mention time consuming, to have to go in a manually clear the default app. Maybe Google should include a function where if you long-press on a file, one of your selections will be "Open with ..." like on Windows.
    James8561 likes this.
    03-16-2016 07:06 PM
    Thanks so much. Better Open With is a perfect solution for now. THanks again!
    03-19-2016 03:19 PM
    Use "better open with" app. works great, and free.
    04-02-2016 08:42 PM
    I did that and it stays @ the default I also force close it is a picture app Pixlr and imay want to send it to email or msging I should have to sav the pic 1st then reroutt it , that is rework not an upgrade

Got it , it not the orginal app it the app that you sent it it that has to be clear , it is still rework it was better the other way , not customer service firendly
    04-18-2016 12:19 AM
    The App Picker Classic app works great. Thanks for the info!

Posted via the Android Central App using the AT&T Note 5, 64GB
    thanks for the info! fized my problem with that permanent default. Saves me the hassle of clearing the default app whenenever i need to open something using another app..

-SAMSUNG J7 user
    05-17-2016 09:28 AM
    Before Marshmallow 6.0, users could choose which apps to share on the fly, easily picking a different app the next time, or choosing one as the default. Not sure this is an enhancement, functionality was lost not gained, and needs to return for power users.

I wonder why there are so many rooted devices out there...
    05-20-2016 09:59 PM
    If you choose Always (set default), you won't be asked any more. If that happens when you choose "just now", something's wrong. In that case, I'd bring the phone back to the carrier and ask them what's up. (It could be a bug in the first roll-out.)
    Thats the point, we should not have to click on an app and make it default, because if we open something else and want to choose other option its not going to let us because default is set, now we have to go to settings / deafault apps and clear it in order to choose another option...and once that option is chosen it tells us it has been made as default in turn having to go to settings again and clear the default apps
    05-24-2016 03:27 PM
    To clear a default app, go to Settings - Applications - Default applications
    Every. Single. Time.
    06-02-2016 09:43 PM
    Every. Single. Time.
    And it's a pain in the a$$ isn't it?!

Flicked via the BlackBerry Keyboard on my S5
    06-02-2016 09:45 PM
    Anyone else notice they got rid of the "open with" feature when opening files or attachments? Went to go open a PDF that someone sent me via gmail and chose to open with a specific app. The device usually asks me to choose "just now" or set default. The device didn't ask me this and now I have to go to default app section in settings and clear the option if I want to open the file with a different app. Am I missing something here?

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    My phone is doing this also. I noticed it started happening with the last update, so I'm pretty sure that the update definitely did it and I don't know how to change it back. Sorry I can't help, hopefully somebody will help so I can change mine back to having choices. Very annoying.
    06-16-2016 09:36 PM
    WOW... better open with is a lifesaver! That google would force us to make an app default and go all the way into the settings to disable it is asinine! I don't know where to comment that google will see it, but I don't know what the developers were thinking when they made that choice. Maybe they want it easier for the non power users who thought it was too much work to check the always box.. but if that were the case, add a option in the settings that us power users could go to and uncheck always making an app default. I just got the marshmallow update, because I was delaying it. But I went to maps to search for a place to call, and clicked call, and it went to hangouts, from the last time I made a call, and it didn't give me an option to go to the phone. So I went to the settings and cleared it, and then went to make the call again, I clicked phone this time, making sure I didn't accidentally have the always default box checked. Looking at it more closely when I clicked phone, there was no box and it just automatically went to the phone! I couldn't believe it! I was so frustrated, I didn't even make my call, I just spent half an hour googling and realizing everybody else is having this issue and its a stupid marshmallow "upgrade".. And I always want to be able to switch web browsers between chrome and firefox.. without having to go into settings... Then found this thread and got better open with. The app is great, but its a shame we have to get a third party app to fix something that google screwed up in a "updated, better" version of android.. I was about to start the process of resetting back to lollipop if better open with didn't fix it... ok...now I have vented and will go make my call.
    06-21-2016 01:56 PM
    That google would force us to make an app default and go all the way into the settings to disable it is asinine!
    Pretty sure this is a TouchWiz thing, not a Google thing. My Marshmallow Nexus doesn't do this. Only my S5. Grr!

I'm getting ready to drop my S5 and go for a Nexus 5X. This is one of the reasons that I'm now looking away from the S7.

06-21-2016 07:26 PM
    Anyone else notice they got rid of the "open with" feature when opening files or attachments? Went to go open a PDF that someone sent me via gmail and chose to open with a specific app. The device usually asks me to choose "just now" or set default. The device didn't ask me this and now I have to go to default app section in settings and clear the option if I want to open the file with a different app. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    I have the same problem I don't want to default my apps. I'm a realtor and use different app for PDF files constantly someone tell me how to stop this it is really annoying it took me 20 minutes to do something that usually takes me less than a minute
    07-14-2016 05:00 PM
    To clear a default app, go to Settings - Applications - Default applications
    That's not what was being asked. It used to give a choice and now it doesnt. We know how to change the default app. We want the " just once" option back to check multiple programs and don't want to keep going into settings to change it.
    07-22-2016 05:35 PM
    The problem is that it doesn't ask you to choose "Always" - it just asks you to pick the app once, at which point it automatically makes it default. Then you have to go into the menuing system and choose to clear the defaults for a particular app.

I have no idea what was wrong with the old system where you could EITHER choose to make it default or choose to just let it open an app once. For some reason, they took this option away and make it default once you choose the app no matter what.

I don't think it's a bug because they give you a popup explanation after choosing the app which tells you to go into the menu to clear the default if you don't want it. It was a design decision, perhaps just not the right one.
    How do we get it back to the old way?
    I post pictures to several places from my gallery and drop box, and occasionally other apps. I can only get access to gallery even after clearing defaults
    08-16-2016 11:54 AM
    Pretty sure this is a TouchWiz thing, not a Google thing. My Marshmallow Nexus doesn't do this. Only my S5. Grr!

I'm getting ready to drop my S5 and go for a Nexus 5X. This is one of the reasons that I'm now looking away from the S7.

And I did. No regrets.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Nexus 5X
    08-20-2016 09:24 PM

Thanks
    I figured it out for anyone else who has this problem. There's no 3rd party app needed. Go to <settings <applications. press 3 dots (or options) in top right corner of the screen, then select <default apps. In that menu, there is an option for "DEFAULT APP SELECTION". Choose that and switch from automatic to ask me. I hope it helps.
    10-10-2016 05:02 PM
    Go to <settings <applications. press 3 dots (or options) in top right corner of the screen
    I don't have any options/3 dots/more menu at the applications screen. Samsung probably updated to include this feature in some markets and forgot others.

This inconsistency is extremely annoying, I don't mind Touchwiz as long as it's the same for everyone.
    Note 4, Note 5 and Note 7 are all running Marshmallow, but they all have complete different versions of Touchwiz and then there's fragmentation by carrier/country.
    10-12-2016 08:17 AM
    Try settings, applications, default application and then Default app. selection.

GRIM
    10-12-2016 01:16 PM
    It's there but no three dots. Settings, Applications, Default Applications, Default App selection set to ASK instead of AUTOMATIC. What genius who figured this out!
    10-14-2016 12:41 PM
    Try settings, applications, default application and then Default app. selection.

GRIM
    This is it! Thanks, works on my sprint note 5!
    10-14-2016 05:38 PM
    I figured it out for anyone else who has this problem. There's no 3rd party app needed. Go to <settings <applications. press 3 dots (or options) in top right corner of the screen, then select <default apps. In that menu, there is an option for "DEFAULT APP SELECTION". Choose that and switch from automatic to ask me. I hope it helps.
    Thank you so much this fixed the problem! I cannot thank you enough as i was so annoyed with this stupid change.
    10-28-2016 09:11 PM
    Why did android get rid of this option of allowing you the choice of choosing your default app?
    11-07-2016 08:14 AM
    It's there but no three dots. Settings, Applications, Default Applications, Default App selection set to ASK instead of AUTOMATIC. What genius who figured this out!
    can you please PRECISELY (sorry for caps but they are needed here) describe were to find the setting? in my SM-N910P Note4 Sprint 6.0.1 there is no such option. do you mean go in every app and choose always ask? in some there is, others not. or is there one global option?

we would appreciate if you upload screenshots of where you find and changed what, step by step.

google and samsung suck. it used to be perfect and productive.

thank you in advance.
    11-22-2016 01:18 AM
62 123