galaxy note 5 lag?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
None on mine at all. I have seen a few Web sites give some hiccups, but nothing on the phone, of course I am not trying to make mine fail either.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I dont know about that but what I have noticed, is that after latest Adroid web... update. My screen will occasionally freeze when I unlock it. It will stay grey for 10-15 seconds and no respond then wake up.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced some lag on hangouts and Google messenger, but everything I've thrown at this phone has worked exceptionally well. Not the phone, it's the apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Hangouts has had lag since the update, and on phones and the desktop.

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Hangouts has had lag since the update, and on phones and the desktop.

Yeah its a shame because I hate the way that the stock samsung messaging app handles does group messages. I would like to use Hangouts or Google Messenger but both lag something serious.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
No lag here, my Note 5 flies. Hangouts - yes lag, on every device - phone/tablet/PC.. Hangouts has been sucking for a while now, which does irritate me since I prefer to use Hangouts as my main messaging app.. Google always seems to be struggling with keeping their apps smooth & fast.. that's why I stopped using Chrome on Android months ago. Finally got sick of their inability to match the browsing speed of the stock browser

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its a shame because I hate the way that the stock samsung messaging app handles does group messages. I would like to use Hangouts or Google Messenger but both lag something serious.

Yeah it updated the other day when several team members were in a hangout and it was lagging bad. It is a little better right now, but still a lag.

morechoff

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a lag on the Note 5 (ATT) every so often. It will not recognize any taps on the screen. Sometimes this happens often. Other times I can go for a day without a problem.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't own a Note 5, but played with the 3 on display at Best Buy yesterday. 2 of them were awful. Took several attempts pressing icons before they would open. On one of them the Gallery app wouldn't open no matter how many times I pressed it. I noticed some hiccups on those two as well. Not lag, but seemed like the phones were trying really hard moving between things. The third one had no problems whatsoever though. It was snappy and responsive. Didn't really hate TouchWiz as much as I used to either. The only thing though, if 2 of 3 had problems, I don't know that I'd feel confident buying one.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't own a Note 5, but played with the 3 on display at Best Buy yesterday. 2 of them were awful. Took several attempts pressing icons before they would open. On one of them the Gallery app wouldn't open no matter how many times I pressed it. I noticed some hiccups on those two as well. Not lag, but seemed like the phones were trying really hard moving between things. The third one had no problems whatsoever though. It was snappy and responsive. Didn't really hate TouchWiz as much as I used to either. The only thing though, if 2 of 3 had problems, I don't know that I'd feel confident buying one.

Those are retail models with a bunch of junk that don't come on the phone, so you can't really judge by those.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't own a Note 5, but played with the 3 on display at Best Buy yesterday. 2 of them were awful. Took several attempts pressing icons before they would open. On one of them the Gallery app wouldn't open no matter how many times I pressed it. I noticed some hiccups on those two as well. Not lag, but seemed like the phones were trying really hard moving between things.
Tell the Samsung rep to replace the demo - my 22 month old Note 3 doesn't do that. (Of course the demos get completely mistreated, and I wouldn't be surprised to find more than one flavor of soda inside those phones, but they're not making themselves look good by saving $100 and not replacing a bad demo. The phone itself is good.)

The third one had no problems whatsoever though. It was snappy and responsive. Didn't really hate TouchWiz as much as I used to either. The only thing though, if 2 of 3 had problems, I don't know that I'd feel confident buying one.
As I said, they get mistreated. I've dropped mine, in an Otterbox case, more than once - it even got flung against a wall once when I caught the wireless charger cord with my elbow - and I'm not planning on replacing it any time soon. (No replaceable battery, no SD card, no Note 5 for me.)

BTW, to get back to the original topic, internet lag has nothing to do with the phone. I can write a web page that will lag on a supercomputer, and I can write one that will pop on a Gingerbread phone. And if your route to the server is through a really bad spot, you're going to get lag. (Back in the day, you did anything to avoid connecting to a server on the other side of AOL - going through there was like racing through Times Square at midnight on New Year's Eve - it wouldn't happen.) If anyone was following the stock ticker the other day when the Chinese market "corrected", you would have seen what lag really means - 500,000 traders (and I'm probably understating that wildly) all trying to get the same information at the same moment. That's filling your car's gas tank with a hair-thin pipe. If 90% of them didn't time out half a dozen times, it was just pure luck.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No lag whatsoever on mine, either. And T-Mobile was notoriously bad at keeping lag at bay from the multitasking menu. This time around it's lightning fast. Amazingly fast. Even opening notes on SNote has been improved greatly. If anything I notice the lag when opening the camera via the Home Button shortcut, but it's barely even there.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
BTW, to get back to the original topic, internet lag has nothing to do with the phone. I can write a web page that will lag on a supercomputer, and I can write one that will pop on a Gingerbread phone. And if your route to the server is through a really bad spot, you're going to get lag. (Back in the day, you did anything to avoid connecting to a server on the other side of AOL - going through there was like racing through Times Square at midnight on New Year's Eve - it wouldn't happen.) If anyone was following the stock ticker the other day when the Chinese market "corrected", you would have seen what lag really means - 500,000 traders (and I'm probably understating that wildly) all trying to get the same information at the same moment. That's filling your car's gas tank with a hair-thin pipe. If 90% of them didn't time out half a dozen times, it was just pure luck.

That makes sense on paper but I have several phones (Blackberry, iPhone 6, Nexus 6, Note 4, LG G4) and they all are relatively quick and responsive except for the Note 4. It has never been as trustworthy as my other phones no matter what.

I was expecting these type of threads to start about the Note 5. There are way too many about the Note 4 and most all Samsung phones. I think Samsung is becoming well known for having phones that while full of what some may consider useful features, they all have a lag that too many people notice. Especially after the honeymoon phase with your new phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense on paper but I have several phones (Blackberry, iPhone 6, Nexus 6, Note 4, LG G4) and they all are relatively quick and responsive except for the Note 4. It has never been as trustworthy as my other phones no matter what.

I was expecting these type of threads to start about the Note 5. There are way too many about the Note 4 and most all Samsung phones. I think Samsung is becoming well known for having phones that while full of what some may consider useful features, they all have a lag that too many people notice. Especially after the honeymoon phase with your new phone.

I've had almost every Samsung phone since the S came out. Lag has never, ever been an issue for me. I got well past the honeymoon stage with all of them.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing the infamous scrolling lag in Play Music, Play Newsstand and in some parts of the Play Store. Anybody seeing the same?

I am going to check with my Nexus and HTC ONE M8 to see how they differ.

Surprisingly rest of the system and apps including facebook, Twitter don't have this issue.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Did some more test. In open WiFi networks I can see the scrolling lag. When I am in my home wifi, there is no lag.

So I think it is the apps that are not handling slow Internet connections.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had almost every Samsung phone since the S came out. Lag has never, ever been an issue for me. I got well past the honeymoon stage with all of them.

That's good to know. I'm glad it's not every phone in production. I haven't had "every single Samsung device" but I have had most of them and I've always had the same lag and unresponsiveness. Maybe it's just my bad luck. I obviously like the devices but after a while I start comparing how much faster other devices are and I have to give up on Samsungs....... until the next one catches my eye. My Note 4 is not "unusable" or horrible except for the camera, which is super slow to focus and too many times it freezes up when I launch it. I can live with a little lag.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
What happened todat left 4 apps to update on wifi. After 10 mins switched on screen by pressinf home button. Buttons light up but jot screen. Few second around 10 screen comes on. Touch sensor not responding. Then wallpapee and clock appear which is about 4-5 mins behind. Then boom unlocks and clock back to curent time. Dontnwant to factory reset again but this happened 2 timea already in last 3 days

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely no lag on this phone. Mine has been as smooth as butter with no hiccups. Very pleased with the performance of this device